Page 1 of 212 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Pens Tidbits

Hybrid View

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Pens Tidbits

May as well re-create the thread here...

I read a rumor at insidepittsburghsports.com that the Pens are about to offer Cooke a 3-year deal. As much as I don't like pumpkin face, I think this is a good move. He more than proved his worth in the playoffs this year and he's invaluable to the 3rd line.

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post

I read a rumor at insidepittsburghsports.com that the Pens are about to offer Cooke a 3-year deal. As much as I don't like pumpkin face, I think this is a good move. He more than proved his worth in the playoffs this year and he's invaluable to the 3rd line.
    Great, thanks for creating this legend thread! HA! How hilarious you would be the first to bring up Cooke hehe, but I agree he is a key player to this team. An agitator at heart who isn't afraid to throw 10+ goals in a season and a few in the playoffs. We deserved and I hope this get's done sooner or later.
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

Tiger Lion and Steel Array title="SteelCityMan786 will become famous soon enough"> SteelCityMan786's Avatar

Where the lands are a mix of Black and Gold with some Blue and White
    I don't mind seeing the Pens bring back a guy who can be a big word for "Pain in the Butt." He proved he can valuable when you need that guy to just agitate things. Good Job if they get him a deal.
    786 Ways to score touchdowns

Administrator Array title="HometownGal has a reputation beyond repute"> HometownGal's Avatar

Well - looks like I'll be buying my Cooke jersey very soon! I love me pumpkin face! :love:

NOW - freakin' sign Serg!!!! I know what the rumors say, but I just won't believe the Pens FO would be so stupid as to let Gonch go. He is invaluable not only to the PP, but to the team overall.

CANCER - YOU PICKED THE WRONG BITCH!!!

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
    Well - looks like I'll be buying my Cooke jersey very soon! I love me pumpkin face! :love:

NOW - freakin' sign Serg!!!! I know what the rumors say, but I just won't believe the Pens FO would be so stupid as to let Gonch go. He is invaluable not only to the PP, but to the team overall.
    The latest I've heard on that is 3 years, $12 million, but now it's Gonchar who is hesitating because he wants more money, after both sides have said that it was the term and NOT money that was the issue. I'm not sure what to believe anymore. I DO know that the Pens can't afford to pay Gonchar much more than that, and that if he insists on asking for $5+ million, then he's likely played his last game as a Penguin.

Administrator Array title="HometownGal has a reputation beyond repute"> HometownGal's Avatar

The latest I've heard on that is 3 years, $12 million, but now it's Gonchar who is hesitating because he wants more money, after both sides have said that it was the term and NOT money that was the issue. I'm not sure what to believe anymore. I DO know that the Pens can't afford to pay Gonchar much more than that, and that if he insists on asking for $5+ million, then he's likely played his last game as a Penguin.
    You know how I feel about that. If they gave Letang that hefty contract, it's absolute bullshit if they don't sign Serg for all he brings to the team. Who really knows what to believe? I still say Mario and Geno sweet talk him into staying - at least I am praying that is what happens.

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
    You know how I feel about that. If they gave Letang that hefty contract, it's absolute bullshit if they don't sign Serg for all he brings to the team. Who really knows what to believe? I still say Mario and Geno sweet talk him into staying - at least I am praying that is what happens.
    I think they payed Letang the money because they believe he is young and will only improve where Gonch is older and they don't wanna pay him the big deal because of that. Of course I am praying also they some how find a deal that fit's him and he is happy with! The team, the defense, and the PP need's him. He one of the most key players for them and the scariest part is going to be the PP without the "QB" at the helm!
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

Quote Originally Posted by steelpride12 View Post
    I think they payed Letang the money because they believe he is young and will only improve where Gonch is older and they don't wanna pay him the big deal because of that. Of course I am praying also they some how find a deal that fit's him and he is happy with! The team, the defense, and the PP need's him. He one of the most key players for them and the scariest part is going to be the PP without the "QB" at the helm!
    They said that is why they paid Letang that money, but I'm not a believer in paying players on "potential." If he was scoring 60 points a year, then yeah, give it to him. But he hasn't done a thing to earn that contract. He scored three goals in the regular season last year. THREE! He had more goals in the playoffs than he had in the regular season. That isn't going to cut it. Now that he has that deal that may likely cost us our PP QB and defensive leader, he had better produce, or he's going to hear it. Anything less than 50 points next season is not acceptable.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Rumors out there today on Mark Madden’s radio show in Pittsburgh that the Penguins will unveil a new third jersey for next year. Apparently it will be similar to the jersey worn by the Pens during Lemieux’s rookie year.http://www.postgameheroes.com/

New /old, Pens jersey? I like it, I hope they go through with it!
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Letang has some big standards to live under next season, and I like those jersey's a lot actually makes sense!

- Greg Lloyd

Member Array title="psusteelerspens4life is an unknown quantity at this point"> psusteelerspens4life's Avatar

born and raised central pa now putting up with redskin and caps fans
    Latang has these mental lapses sometimes, I kinda grit my teeth when I see him with the puck in our zone he gets careless. I like Letang a lot but just sometimes I just dont know , he does have a nice slapshot.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Crosby up for another NHL award

By Rob Rossi
    PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Thursday, June 3, 2010

Sidney Crosby may consider rewriting the adage that what happens in Vegas stays there.

Crosby, the Penguins' captain, is a finalist for the Mark Messier NHL Leadership Award, the third honor for which he will contend on June 23 at the NHL Awards Show in Las Vegas. He is also a finalist for the Hart Trophy (MVP) and Ted Lindsay Award (top player).

Crosby won the Hart and Lester B. Pearson Award, the Lindsay Award's former name, in 2007 after leading the NHL in regular-season scoring and the Penguins to their first playoff berth since 2001.

The Messier Award recognizes an individual as a superior leader in hockey and a contributing member of society, and its finalists and winner are determined by Hockey Hall-of-Famer and legendary former team captain Mark Messier, who won six titles while with the Edmonton Oilers and New York Rangers.

During the Stanley Cup Final last spring, Messier lauded Crosby's leadership in an interview with the Tribune-Review. Days later Crosby, then 21, became the youngest captain to win the Cup.

He followed with a career-best 51 goals in the regular season, a total that tied him with Tampa Bay center Steven Stamkos for the NHL lead. He also finished tied for second overall with 109 points while leading the Penguins to a 101-point season.

Penguins coach Dan Bylsma cited Crosby's attention to detail with his shot as just one example of his leadership.

"It was also his willingness to talk to the team at certain times," he said yesterday. "His willingness to stand up in front of those guys when it was needed is something he took great strides in, and it speaks to his maturity in feeling more comfortable in this role.

"The thing that strikes me about Sid is his role throughout hockey, and how everyone who meets him says it was a positive experience."

Crosby scored the winning goal for Canada in overtime of the gold-medal game at the Vancouver Olympics.

The goalie he bested in that game, Buffalo's Ryan Miller, is also a Messier Award finalist. Miller was the MVP of that tournament.

The other finalist is Phoenix captain Sean Doan, whose Coyotes overcame ownership turmoil to earn the Western Conference's No. 4 playoff seed. Doan is the last Coyotes player to have played for the team when it was the Winnipeg Jets.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Penguins' talks with Gonchar, Cooke heat up next week

Wednesday, June 02, 2010
    By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Penguins general manager Ray Shero is headed back to the Stanley Cup final.

This time, though, he will not have a vested interest in the outcome.

Shero will join his fellow general managers today in Philadelphia, where Game 3 of the Cup final between the Flyers and Chicago will be played tonight, for a meeting held during the championship round each year.

One major topic will be the salary-cap ceiling for 2010-11. NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has projected a $2 million increase over the $56.8 million figure for the season now winding down, and that figures to have an impact on how Shero approaches negotiations with players who are eligible for unrestricted free agency if not re-signed by July 1.

Those talks with the agents representing guys such as Sergei Gonchar and Matt Cooke likely will begin in earnest next week, according to Shero and several agents.

"We've talked about some parameters [for contracts], but there's nothing concrete at this point," Shero said. "Most likely next week, we'll get into [negotiations with] a few of our free agents."

Specifically, he said talks with the Cooke camp are "not too far along," and reiterated that he had a general conversation with Gonchar's agent, J.P. Barry, during the NHL draft combine in Toronto last week.

"I'm not close on anything now," Shero said.

Defenseman Brooks Orpik, however, is getting closer to undergoing the surgery needed to repair an abdominal injury that bothered him for the second half of the season.

Shero said the operation is scheduled for around the middle of this month, and that Orpik will be able to start training "two or three weeks" after it is performed.

What the chances are of Orpik having Johan Fransson of Sweden alongside him on the Penguins' blue line next season remains to be seen.

The Penguins thought enough of Fransson to discuss a conditional trade for his rights with Los Angeles, but his status at the moment is cloudy, at best.

Although the Kings apparently failed to sign him by the June 1 deadline, which would make Fransson an unrestricted free agent in the NHL, he has a contract with Lulea in Sweden's Elitserien, and there are conflicting reports about whether he also has a deal in place with Dynamo Minsk of the Kontinental Hockey League.

If Fransson, 25, is free of his ties to Los Angeles and is not legally bound to the KHL, the Penguins will at least explore the possibility of working out a contract to bring him to North America.

Looks like Cookie (pumpkin face ) isn't a lock just yet. "not to far along" anyway.
    Last edited by SteelMember; 06-03-2010 at 01:08 PM.

I have a gut feeling Cooke is a lock and will get his deal soon enough. Nothing is carved in stone, but he is in arms length of a deal and we all know what he means to the third line and how big of an agitator he is.

- Greg Lloyd

Let's hope that this Johan Fransson isn't as big a candy ass as the Wings' Johan Franzen. Actually, let's hope he at least will throw a check every now and then. Damn, the Pens' blueline is so fucking soft...

As for Cooke and Gonchar, the fact that talks are going to heat up in the next week is a good sign. Whether or not they'll get a deal done remains to be seen, especially with Gonchar.

And congrats to Sid on another award nomination. If he wins, I don't want to hear another soul anywhere question his leadership qualities. It's unbelievable how uneducated many hockey fans are.

Let's hope that this Johan Fransson isn't as big a candy ass as the Wings' Johan Franzen. Actually, let's hope he at least will throw a check every now and then. Damn, the Pens' blueline is so fucking soft...

As for Cooke and Gonchar, the fact that talks are going to heat up in the next week is a good sign. Whether or not they'll get a deal done remains to be seen, especially with Gonchar.

And congrats to Sid on another award nomination. If he wins, I don't want to hear another soul anywhere question his leadership qualities. It's unbelievable how uneducated many hockey fans are.
    It sure is a shame, but you and I both know these bullshit rumors and questioning of Sid will never stop. I don't care if he win 7 Stanley Cups and MVP 4 straight seasons and wins all the awards possible. Some hockey fans just have no sense and will say anything to stir up the media.

- Greg Lloyd

Re: Pens Tidbits

Shero at work with Pens' potential free agents

By Rob Rossi
    PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010

That time of year has started for Penguins general manager Ray Shero.

With the NHL free-agent period set to open July 1, Shero said Monday his talks with the Penguins' impending unrestricted free agents will kick into gear this week.

"We're kind of getting started at this point, just like we get started at this point every year," he said.

Shero is aware that of his eight players set for unrestricted status, two are of heated interest among fans — top defenseman Sergei Gonchar and third-line left wing Matt Cooke.

Though Shero's policy is not to discuss contract negotiations during the process, he has held preliminary discussions with representatives for Gonchar and Cooke. Both players have said their preference is to remain with the Penguins.

Gonchar's agent, JP Barry, said there was nothing new to report about his client's future with the Penguins. Cooke's agent, Pat Morris, could not be reached for comment.

Uncertainty regarding the salary-cap ceiling for next season is not a significant factor in talks with any potential free agent, Shero said. He added the deadline for a final cap number is June 30.

The Penguins are at around $45 million for 15 NHL regulars set to return next season. Commissioner Gary Bettman said during the Stanley Cup Final he expects the cap to get about a $2 million boost from its 2009-10 ceiling ($56.8 million).

The Penguins eligible for unrestricted status include four defensemen and four wingers who combined for a $16.7 million cap hit last season.

The upcoming free-agent class is considered defense-heavy and loaded with proven veterans such as Gonchar. The crop of wingers — always of interest for Penguins fans given the club's long-term deals with centerpiece centers Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Jordan Staal — is considered the weakest since the 2004-05 NHL lockout.

Notes: The Penguins re-signed defenseman Steve Wagner to a one-year contract. He would make $500,000 on the two-way contract if he plays in the NHL. Wagner was acquired Feb. 11 from St. Louis in exchange for defenseman Nate Guenin. ... Shero on defenseman Brooks Orpik, who underwent sports hernia surgery last Friday: "We knew about it near the end of the (regular) season. It was one of those things that wasn't great for him, but with injuries in the playoffs, you've got to play through it. He'll be ready for training camp."

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Shero is aware that of his eight players set for unrestricted status, two are of heated interest among fans — top defenseman Sergei Gonchar and third-line left wing Matt Cooke.
    I really hope we resign the both of them, especially Gonchar, he's a monster on defense and a vital part of our team. Cooke is a good player as well and his play is improving IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    I really hope we resign the both of them, especially Gonchar, he's a monster on defense and a vital part of our team. Cooke is a good player as well and his play is improving IMO.
    I see both of them being re-signed. I've been hearing all sorts of rumors about how much they're asking for, but really, the only ones who know for sure are Shero, Cooke, Gonchar and their agents. Like I've read that Cooke could get up to $3 million a year - from who? There isn't a team in the league that's going to pay that much for a 3rd-line LW.

I see both of them being re-signed. I've been hearing all sorts of rumors about how much they're asking for, but really, the only ones who know for sure are Shero, Cooke, Gonchar and their agents. Like I've read that Cooke could get up to $3 million a year - from who? There isn't a team in the league that's going to pay that much for a 3rd-line LW.
    Im still feel weary about Gonch though. Through all the smoke all I see are defense men getting deals with the Pens. How can that be good news to Gonch?

- Greg Lloyd

Quote Originally Posted by steelpride12 View Post
    Im still feel weary about Gonch though. Through all the smoke all I see are defense men getting deals with the Pens. How can that be good news to Gonch?
    They signed 2 guys to 2-way contracts, which means they likely will end up in the minors. Means nothing to Gonchar's status. The only thing that would prevent a deal is Gonchar insisting on a contract that the Pens just can't afford.

or is too long.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    or is too long.
    That too. I think the Pens only want to offer a 2-3 year deal due to his age and the fact that some pretty important players will be up for new deals in 3 years, namely Crosby and Staal.

That too. I think the Pens only want to offer a 2-3 year deal due to his age and the fact that some pretty important players will be up for new deals in 3 years, namely Crosby and Staal.
    True True. I just see like there is too much against the Pens to sign Gonch. I know Shero will figure something out, but Gonch want's big money and a long contract which we are not willing to give him, I jusdt hope Gonch comes to his senses.

- Greg Lloyd

Steeler Blood Array title="cakmakli will become famous soon enough"> cakmakli's Avatar

At his age, I think Gonchar will follow the money and the security of a long term contract. He already has his name on the Cup so that won't be as much an incentive to stay as it would if it wasn't. I have a feeling that we will see Orpik wearing the A this year.

I think Guerin will be gone also unless he signs for a huge discount. He played okay for a 40 year old but was nothing special. I think Shero can find someone better that wouldn't hit the cap too hard plus we have Tangradi waiting for a chance to play.

It's looking like our wishes for Mike Yeo to take the first bus out of town may come true - he's reportedly set to become the head coach of the AHL Houston Aeros, and it's expected to be announced today. Hallelujah!!!!

Serg and his agent have to meet Shero half way. I think if they offer him 3 years at $4 - $4.25 mil a year, he should take it. Both sides know of his tremendous value to the team and I think they will come to an agreement eventually. I'll lose my mind if my Serg isn't signed.

As for Cookie - he's another must sign. His play as a winger greatly improved last season and the guy hits anything and everything that moves out there. I also love his spirit - he's a feisty little bastard and I've grown extremely fond of him.

SIGN 'EM UP SHERO!!!!

Tiger Lion and Steel Array title="SteelCityMan786 will become famous soon enough"> SteelCityMan786's Avatar

Where the lands are a mix of Black and Gold with some Blue and White

Quote Originally Posted by Killer View Post
    Zowza!

Halak traded to the Blues!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5298330

------------------

Habs fans riot!
    Wow, what a dumb move. Halak was their MVP. He is the reason why they got to the ECF last year.
    786 Ways to score touchdowns

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
    Wow, what a dumb move. Halak was their MVP. He is the reason why they got to the ECF last year.
    I don't understand the move either, and Habs fans are NOT happy. Carey Price had better be the second-coming of Ken Dryden starting next year, or those crazy Habs fans will pitchfork his ass.

Do no harm - take no shit Array title="Killer is on a distinguished road"> Killer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
    No shit

and still you bitches give me no karma