Page 2 of 224 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Pens Tidbits

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Re: Pens Tidbits

It's looking like our wishes for Mike Yeo to take the first bus out of town may come true - he's reportedly set to become the head coach of the AHL Houston Aeros, and it's expected to be announced today. Hallelujah!!!!

Steeler Blood Array title="cakmakli will become famous soon enough"> cakmakli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    It's looking like our wishes for Mike Yeo to take the first bus out of town may come true - he's reportedly set to become the head coach of the AHL Houston Aeros, and it's expected to be announced today. Hallelujah!!!!
    But why? We went from 20th on the PP last year to 19th this year. Yeo is a PP genius

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Yesss.

There's no reason we shouldn't be a top 10 PP unit.

I think most teams caught on to the play where we pass it around 10-15 times, and still end up taking the hard slapper from the blue line.

Steeler Blood Array title="cakmakli will become famous soon enough"> cakmakli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    Yesss.

There's no reason we shouldn't be a top 10 PP unit.

I think most teams caught on to the play where we pass it around 10-15 times, and still end up taking the hard slapper from the blue line.
    Chances are we won't have Gonchar at the blue line taking those hard slappers.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cakmakli View Post
    Chances are we won't have Gonchar at the blue line taking those hard slappers.
    Which is where he will be missed the most.

He seemed like he was the only one willing to take the shot most times.

I love the pretty goals just as much as anyone, but the ugly ones count just the same.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

No question they should be a top 10 unit, even without Gonchar, because they still have 2 of the best players in the world on the top unit. How is it that a team like Montreal, who really has maybe one legit scoring threat in Cammalleri, is consistently one of the best PP units in the league? But yet, Mike Yeo is going to get a HC job, even though he was unable to produce a top-10 PP unit with Crosby and Malkin on it. Unreal. The guy should be flipping burgers at Five Guys instead.

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

I think regardless if Mike returns next season or not the Pens biggest concern other than signing Sarge is to get that PP where it deserves to be. It's unbelievable when you have Gonch, Malkin, and Sid, but are terrible on the PP. With those players next season we better damn well be top 10 to be a legit team heading into the playoffs. The PP killed us against Montreal we couldn't strike anything.
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

It's now official :

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=531783

Mike Yeo Named Head Coach of the American Hockey League Houston Aeros

Wednesday, 06.16.2010 / 11:15 AM / Features
    By Jason Seidling
    Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma will have to make a change to his 2010-11 coaching staff after it was announced on Wednesday that assistant coach Mike Yeo is leaving to become the new head coach of the Houston Aeros of the American Hockey League. Houston is the Minnesota Wild’s top minor-league affiliate.

This will be the first head coaching gig for the 36-year-old North Bay, Ontario native following four-plus seasons behind the bench for the Penguins. During Yeo’s tenure he helped transform the Penguins from the league’s second-worst outfit in ’05-06 to Stanley Cup champions in ’09.

Bylsma thanked Yeo for his hard work and dedication to the Penguins organization while also talking about how he believes Yeo is ready to lead his own team.

“I am really pleased for Mike Yeo,” Bylsma said. “We all have aspirations and Mike has them to be a head coach. He has had the opportunity to learn here and in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton with different head coaches. You can see the progression and the quality of coach that he is. For him to get recognized and get that opportunity in a place where people know he is a quality person is great for Mike.”

Penguins general manager Ray Shero echoed Bylsma’s sentiments.

“This is a fantastic opportunity for him and his family in the American Hockey League,” Shero said. “I talked to Mike the past couple of years about his career goals and (eventually) becoming a head coach in the National Hockey League. We talked about this being a path he might have to take. I am very happy for Mike. He was a big contributor to our staff and a huge reason why we won a Stanley Cup.”

Shero said the Penguins are in no rush to find a replacement for Yeo. Right now Shero has asked Bylsma, Granato, goaltending coach Gilles Meloche and assistant to the general manager Tom Fitzgerald to think of prospective candidates to talk to as the offseason progresses.

“We will put together a list of candidates,” Shero said. “We will look at our criteria and look to fill that void in the future.”

While working closely with Yeo the past year and a half in Pittsburgh, Bylsma has come to appreciate the strengths Yeo will take with him to Houston.

“Mike has a great work ethic,” Bylsma described. “He takes great pride in his own work as well as the players around him. He is also a guy who is willing to learn and grow. He has shown that. He has been able to take what he’s learned from Michel Therrien and what he learned (as a player) in the American Hockey League and added to what we have done here in Pittsburgh alongside myself and (assistant coach) Tony (Granato). That is why he has continued to grow and will continue to be successful.”

Yeo will be reunited in with current Wild general manager Chuck Fletcher, who served as assistant general manager of the Penguins between 2005-08, and Wild head coach Todd Richards, who was the WBS head coach from 2006-08.

“At his age the time is right for him,” Shero said. “He has a relationship with Chuck Fletcher and Todd Richards in Minnesota, plus he played in Houston for a number of years and was a really popular player there. This is great news for his development. The AHL is a great league for coaches to develop.”

In addition to knowing people within the front office, Yeo might also have the chance to coach several players with ties to the Penguins organization who spent time with the Aeros last season in forwards Andy Hilbert, Nathan Smith and Jean-Michel Daoust and defenseman Ryan Lannon.

Yeo will be making a homecoming with the Aeros as he replaces former Penguins head coach Kevin Constantine, whose contract was not renewed following three seasons behind the Houston bench.

During his playing days Yeo spent five seasons with the Aeros between 1994-95 and ’98-99 when the team was a member of the now-defunct International Hockey League. He was the captain of the ’99 squad which captured the Turner Cup championship.

Yeo’s coaching career began the next season when a knee injury ended his playing days just 19 games into his first season with the Baby Penguins in 1999.

At just 26 years of age, Yeo was asked by then-WBS head coach Glenn Patrick to serve as an assistant coach with the team, a spot he retained when Therrien took over behind the bench prior to the ’03-04 campaign.

Yeo spent five full seasons and parts of two others as an assistant at WBS before accepting his first NHL coaching assignment on Dec. 15, 2005 when Therrien was promoted to Pittsburgh to replace Eddie Olczyk.

During Yeo’s time with the Baby Penguins, WBS made two runs to the Calder Cup Final (2000-01 and ’03-04). Combine that with back-to-back Stanley Cup Final appearances with the Penguins, including a championship in ’09, and Yeo has certainly proven himself capable of leading a team deep into the postseason.

Shero and Bylsma both believe that Yeo’s penchant for winning probably helped to play a factor in Fletcher’s decision to give Yeo his first head-coaching opportunity.

“There are not too many people who have a Stanley Cup on their resume and can also say they worked with players like (Sidney) Crosby and (Evgeni) Malkin,” Shero said. “He also worked with many of our younger players and helped develop them to play in Pittsburgh.”

“He now has a lot of experience to take with him winning hockey games and being a Stanley Cup champion and working with the best players in the game,” Bylsma added. “All of those experiences are going to suit him well being a head coach.”

See ya, Mike! Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out!

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

Just got via text message that the starting time for regular season games in the 2010-2011 are going to be at 7:00PM instead of 7:30PM. Ill miss ya Mike Yeo good luck coaching somewhere else not let's get this PP to the top 10.
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

Quote Originally Posted by steelpride12 View Post
    Just got via text message that the starting time for regular season games in the 2010-2011 are going to be at 7:00PM instead of 7:30PM. Ill miss ya Mike Yeo good luck coaching somewhere else not let's get this PP to the top 10.
    Yeah, I read that on their site earlier. Personally, I like the earlier start time because traffic before games shouldn't be too bad with many people likely just walking from work to the arena, and we'd get home a little earlier instead of not getting home some nights until after 11:00. Plus, I think the location of the arena and entrances are perfect, because now HTG and I have the option of taking the T into downtown and getting off at Steel Plaza, then walking 2 mostly flat blocks to the 5th Avenue entrance rather than drive in and pay for parking.

Tiger Lion and Steel Array title="SteelCityMan786 will become famous soon enough"> SteelCityMan786's Avatar

Where the lands are a mix of Black and Gold with some Blue and White

Speaking of new start times and stuff like that.

Pens to Open Preseason Schedule Sept. 22 vs. Detroit in First Game Ever at CONSOL Energy Center
    Wednesday, 06.16.2010 / 11:59 AM / News
    Pittsburgh Penguins
    The Pittsburgh Penguins will open their 2010 preseason schedule with the first hockey game ever played at CONSOL Energy Center – Wednesday, Sept. 22 against the Detroit Red Wings at 7 p.m.

The team announced its six-game preseason schedule, which includes home-and-home matchups with Detroit, the Columbus Blue Jackets and the defending Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks.

The other home games are Saturday, Sept. 25 against Columbus and Tuesday, Sept. 28 against Chicago - both starting at 7 p.m.

The Penguins normally play two preseason home games but added a third home game this year because of heightened interest in the new arena.

“Our feeling is that more fans will want the chance to see and experience CONSOL Energy Center, so we thought it made sense to add the third preseason home game,” team president David Morehouse said.

Full season ticket holders will have two of the three preseason games in their packages – the Sept. 22 opener against Detroit and the Sept. 28 matchup with Chicago.

The Penguins are working on a special youth-oriented event in connection with the pre-season game against Columbus on Sept. 25, with details to be announced.

The NHL is expected to announce the 2010-11 regular-season schedule next week.

Ticket information for the general public for all three home preseason games will be available at a later date. Fans should check back at pittsburghpenguins.com for the latest team and ticketing updates.

2010 PITTSBURGH PENGUINS PRESEASON SCHEDULE
    Wednesday, Sept. 22 DETROIT 7 p.m.
    Friday, Sept. 24 at Columbus TBD
    Saturday, Sept. 25 COLUMBUS 7 p.m.
    Tuesday, Sept. 28 CHICAGO 7 p.m.
    Friday, Oct. 1 at Chicago TBD
    Sunday, Oct. 3 at Detroit TBD

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home

How appropriate that the Red Wings are the first game of the new arena.
    786 Ways to score touchdowns

Personally, I'd rather NOT play Detroit OR Columbus every year. How about scheduling some different teams for a change? Opening the arena with Philthy would have been much better, IMO.

Senior Member Array title="The WH will become famous soon enough"> The WH's Avatar

Did you really close a thread because it was already posted in a different thread under one giant umbrella name? Shit man, might as well just close them all and have ''Pens Tidbits'' be the only thread.

Quote Originally Posted by The WH View Post
    Did you really close a thread because it was already posted in a different thread under one giant umbrella name? Shit man, might as well just close them all and have ''Pens Tidbits'' be the only thread.
    If you read the COC, it falls under the category of posting a redundant thread/topic. If the story has already been posted, it makes no sense to keep the thread open when it's already being discussed. That is why we ask that members search for a topic before posting a new thread, so that we limit redundancy.

Senior Member Array title="The WH will become famous soon enough"> The WH's Avatar

I hope you got your clicking finger exercised for the Steelers regular season then. Especially if your going to be watching for topics discussed inside threads.

COC #7 DOES allow for one thread to exist per topic. Although it's technically negated by COC #1...making #7 redundant. So the rule about redundancy is followed up by a redundant rule.

Quote Originally Posted by The WH View Post
    I hope you got your clicking finger exercised for the Steelers regular season then. Especially if your going to be watching for topics discussed inside threads.

COC #7 DOES allow for one thread to exist per topic. Although it's technically negated by COC #1...making #7 redundant. So the rule about redundancy is followed up by a redundant rule.
    You want to tell me what the big problem is with closing that thread? Sheesh, it's not like I kicked you in the balls or something! The story was already posted. There's no need for a 2nd thread. They do this on other boards too, and nobody complains about it. So again, what's the problem?

Because I have to argue, it's the internet for heaven sakes. What would be the fun if I just took it? BUT I (thought) it was inside the rules.

I still luv you though.

Hey, have you guys heard Mike Yeo left the Penguins to coach for the Wild's AHL team in Houston.

Do no harm - take no shit Array title="Killer is on a distinguished road"> Killer's Avatar

Zowza!

Halak traded to the Blues!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5298330

------------------

Habs fans riot!

Administrator Array title="HometownGal has a reputation beyond repute"> HometownGal's Avatar

That too. I think the Pens only want to offer a 2-3 year deal due to his age and the fact that some pretty important players will be up for new deals in 3 years, namely Crosby and Staal.
    Serg and his agent have to meet Shero half way. I think if they offer him 3 years at $4 - $4.25 mil a year, he should take it. Both sides know of his tremendous value to the team and I think they will come to an agreement eventually. I'll lose my mind if my Serg isn't signed.

As for Cookie - he's another must sign. His play as a winger greatly improved last season and the guy hits anything and everything that moves out there. I also love his spirit - he's a feisty little bastard and I've grown extremely fond of him.

SIGN 'EM UP SHERO!!!!

CANCER - YOU PICKED THE WRONG BITCH!!!

Tiger Lion and Steel Array title="SteelCityMan786 will become famous soon enough"> SteelCityMan786's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killer View Post
    Zowza!

Halak traded to the Blues!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5298330

------------------

Habs fans riot!
    Wow, what a dumb move. Halak was their MVP. He is the reason why they got to the ECF last year.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
    Wow, what a dumb move. Halak was their MVP. He is the reason why they got to the ECF last year.
    I don't understand the move either, and Habs fans are NOT happy. Carey Price had better be the second-coming of Ken Dryden starting next year, or those crazy Habs fans will pitchfork his ass.

Administrator Array title="HometownGal has a reputation beyond repute"> HometownGal's Avatar

Holy shit - are the Habs nucking futs? That young man was the sole reason for their playoff success this season. I wish him well - I really grew to respect him and to the Habs fans . . . .

What goes around comes around. You booed Sid after he brought your country a GOLD. I'm going to thoroughly enjoy him putting puck after puck into the net behind Price next season.

I don't understand the move either, and Habs fans are NOT happy. Carey Price had better be the second-coming of Ken Dryden starting next year, or those crazy Habs fans will pitchfork his ass.
    I would be expressing the same feelings if I were theme. Not only will they pitchfork his ass if he isn't, but they will also pitchfork Pierre Gauthier's ass to for being dumb enough to trade him.

Quote Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
    Holy shit - are the Habs nucking futs? That young man was the sole reason for their playoff success this season. I wish him well - I really grew to respect him and to the Habs fans . . . .

What goes around comes around. You booed Sid after he brought your country a GOLD. I'm going to thoroughly enjoy him putting puck after puck into the net behind Price next season.
    Same here, this was dumb on the Habs part. Carey Price is NOT their answer to their goalie problems AT ALL. He would be better served as a backup in Montreal.

I thoroughly enjoy watching Sid put the puck behind pretty much all goalies, so this would be nothing new.

Oh WOW Montreal now that Ill never understand. Without Halak you lose first round of the playoffs or maybe not even make them and now again for another season you hope Price is the answer, sorry not happening. Good luck dealing with your blood hungry fan base now.

- Greg Lloyd

Just hilarious, typical Cryer fans!

- Greg Lloyd

Do no harm - take no shit Array title="Killer is on a distinguished road"> Killer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
    No shit

and still you bitches give me no karma

No shit

You karma whore... It's not like they traded Patrick Roy... wait a minute.

No shit

Giveth and you shall receiveth.