Thread: How Would You Rate The Steelers FA Signings This Week?

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

How Would You Rate The Steelers FA Signings This Week?

The Steelers awoke from their off season slumber with four quality signings. And ‘quality’ really isn’t a stretch when describing the players the Steelers put on the roster. Remember, there are no backups on the Steelers. Only ‘starters in waiting.’ Regardless of semantics, the signings are a step in the right direction...............

read more @ http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/04/13...ngs-this-week/

Swaggin' University Array title="ShutDown24 has a spectacular aura about"> ShutDown24's Avatar

Re: How Would You Rate The Steelers FA Signings This Week?

I would have to rule with current majority.

The offseason moves thus far have been excellent and continue the tradition of strong but quiet moves made by the team during free agency. Bringing Essex and Cotchery back pleased me greatly, as did the signing of Leonard Pope. I don't think an awful lot of Doug Legursky at guard, but as a backup center it doesn't get much better.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

At least the Steelers are consistent and have a good rep by signing their own players, for better or worse.
    All Defense!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Typical Steelers moves. Which I like...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Like the resignings, keeping Cotchery was key and the Steelers needed to re-sign their O-linemen. However I did not like the Leonard Pope signing, I didn't think we needed to spend valuable cap space on a guy we needed, this move was primarily fueled by his connection with Todd Haley

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Pope is the only head scratcher. Not sure what extra he brings to the TE position. Sure Saunders is suspended the first 4 games, but we are not at a luxury with our cap space.

Smoked Pig Skin Array title="vtw8lftr is an unknown quantity at this point"> vtw8lftr's Avatar

I believe Pope is strictly on the roster to help the Steelers adapt to Haleys playbook and mentor the players.
    I have been a Steelers faithful since I was a 6 year old... my mom has pictures of me dressed in my steelers uniform back in '76... yep I'm old but a diehard... I understand defense and recognize offense, if you get it you get it.

Swaggin' University Array title="ShutDown24 has a spectacular aura about"> ShutDown24's Avatar

I don't know that you guys are giving Pope much of a chance. I certainly agree he's here because of his connection to Haley, but the guy has legitimate skills. If memory serves me correctly, he was rated as a first round talent a few years ago but had suffered some injuries while at Louisville which dropped his stock. He's a huge guy who can go up and make plays. I can't wait to see what he does with Ben throwing to him. He has been dealing with the likes of Matt Cassel and worse for most of his career (with Warner as the obvious exception). Let me end this by saying I don't wish to step on anyone's toes, Pope doesn't seem to be much too popular of a pickup. But I do think he deserves a little more credit than Steeler nation is giving him.

Senior Member Array title="steeldawg is a jewel in the rough">

I might be the only one that thinks the cotchery resigning was the most insignificant of the 4.

Black & Gold Metal Array title="SteelGhost is on a distinguished road"> SteelGhost's Avatar

I feel fine about all signings thus far

Maybe Pope is a little bit intriguing, but we need a backup TE