Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Several Teams Interested In Mike Wallace

Senior Member Array title="SteelerEmpire has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerEmpire's Avatar

Several Teams Interested In Mike Wallace

Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace doesn't plan on attending the team's offseason activities in protest of his first-round tender, but the receiver has reportedly generated a wealth of trade interest.

Several teams are reportedly interested in trading for the three-year Steeler veteran, a league source told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

LINK: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...headline_stack

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Re: Several Teams Interested In Mike Wallace

If they can get a good first-round pick, they should do it. Anything less and they may as well keep him.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

If the offer is good, it would be a good idea to trade Wallace during the draft

Senior Member Array title="SteelerEmpire has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerEmpire's Avatar

Kind of nervous about depending on the draft to replace him. Sweed was supposed to work out but we know how that turned out.
    Brown is good, but he's small. Sanders is injury prone.... this just got interesting...

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

I still hope we are able to keep wallace here.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

There is no way we can keep all the guys we have right now on the roster forever. (wallace, brown, sanders) Somebody's eventually gotta go. It was a rarity for the Steelers to keep a WR as long as they kept Ward. If they continue the process, we will have enough to allot to (1) guy... to be the guy. If we lose Wallace now and get a first rounder, it's a hell of a lot more than we will get if we're gonna lose him anyway next year. (a 3rd round comp the following year?)

If we keep him, we probably lose Brown and/or Sanders the year after.

Pick your poison.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Any other team can sign him if they want to give up a 1st. Needless to say they are trying to low ball with something less. I would take this year's second and next year's first which is the theoretical equivalent of two seconds.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Based on the way it looks like it's going, I'd honestly say we're better off trading him before the draft if we can get something decent for him. Otherwise we just lose him next March anyway and we get nothing.

If we could, say, work out a deal for a pick in the middle of the first round and get a guy who's going to be our starting NT or CB for the next 10 years, I'd take that in a heartbeat. Especially considering the alternative.

Plus - I think if there's any time to make a move like that, which is really focused on two years out, it's now. Next season might be a tough one with a lot of adjustments to make already. Might as well try to get this out of the way while we're at it.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="7willBheaven is on a distinguished road"> 7willBheaven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    There is no way we can keep all the guys we have right now on the roster forever. (wallace, brown, sanders) Somebody's eventually gotta go. It was a rarity for the Steelers to keep a WR as long as they kept Ward. If they continue the process, we will have enough to allot to (1) guy... to be the guy. If we lose Wallace now and get a first rounder, it's a hell of a lot more than we will get if we're gonna lose him anyway next year. (a 3rd round comp the following year?)

Pick your poison.
    I'm not worried about Sanders he hasnt gotten anywhere close to commanding a lot of money. Brown while improving and had 1 solid year, doesnt mean he's going to get big money either. I wouldnt be surprised if they try to work out an extension with Brown this year (since he'll have 1 yr left) and then wait and see on Sanders. Its could be easily done as the Steelers have been able to keep the players that they WANT to keep in the past.

Senior Member Array title="one side only is a jewel in the rough"> one side only's Avatar

Based on the Trib article, I think there is a real possibility he gets dealt. If they are not going to pay him enough to keep him from leaving next year as an UFA, and they aren't going to franchise him, the best case scenario is to trade him. Players who are playing out their contract in order to create demand for their services in the free agent market might be extra motivated to put up big numbers, but they can also be a distraction. I think Wallace would fall in the latter category. I'd try to get one of St. Louis' 2 second round picks for him.

Steeler Nation Array title="O'Malley will become famous soon enough"> O'Malley's Avatar

Could care less now... Wallace lost my respect.. This is not how Steelers act.. Greedy receiver.. Wrong team to get greedy with.. You don't play defense man.. You catch the ball.. Which you missed the most important pass of your young career in Denver.. The Steelers won before you and can win without you!!!

Steeler Nation Array title="O'Malley will become famous soon enough"> O'Malley's Avatar

Don't get traded to a team the plays the Steelers... You won't make it past that game!!!!

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Wow...teams are interested in one of the top young receivers in the league? Who would have thought?

Report really means nothing until we hear the team is interested in dealing him. And based on Colbert's comments, the team will make every attempt to keep Wallace.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

As we approach the draft, this kind of interest will naturally spin up.

I have to think the Browns are in the mix...again, addition by subraction AND addition. They take from us and weaken us AND add a player who can really help them in an area that is a key need. We would need their second round pick for this (I don't think they would trade #4, and I don't think we would want it) plus a whole lot of other stuff...but if the guy has become a malcontent let him go play for big money on a perennial bottom-feeder and let's get something for it...
    Fire Goodell

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Don't let him walk away free next year. Get something now. I would be OK with a 2nd or 3rd rounder packaged with a raw ILB or OG.

Black & Gold Metal Array title="SteelGhost is on a distinguished road"> SteelGhost's Avatar

I hope Wallace AND the FO think about the subject wisely and reach a realistic agreement, not a chance in hell the Steelers will pay Mike Fitzgerald's/Megatron's money

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

The team can't trade him right now anyway. He's technically not even under contract with the Steelers at the moment.
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

If this is all true he can sit next year and pout in the corner by himself

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by msafford View Post
    The team can't trade him right now anyway. He's technically not even under contract with the Steelers at the moment.
    It would have to be a sign and trade type of deal.

AML

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

wallace and the 24th pick for a top 10 pick this year.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post

Pick your poison.
    See ya Sanders...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Wow...the anger directed towards Wallace in this thread is hilarious...greedy, quitter, malcontent...lol.

He wants to get paid...what's the problem? What player doesn't want to get paid? By the way...none of this has come out of Wallace's mouth. Half of it is speculation by writer's, the other half is Cook trying to put his client in a good bargaining position.

Like I've said, if someone wants him, it'd be easy to get him if they are willing to give up the first rounder and offer him a reasonable front loaded deal...which for a player of his skill and age, it's not that off base.

Like Chidi said:

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    Wow...teams are interested in one of the top young receivers in the league? Who would have thought?

Report really means nothing until we hear the team is interested in dealing him. And based on Colbert's comments, the team will make every attempt to keep Wallace.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Wow...the anger directed towards Wallace in this thread is hilarious...greedy, quitter, malcontent...lol.

He wants to get paid...what's the problem? What player doesn't want to get paid? By the way...none of this has come out of Wallace's mouth. Half of it is speculation by writer's, the other half is Cook trying to put his client in a good bargaining position.

Like I've said, if someone wants him, it'd be easy to get him if they are willing to give up the first rounder and offer him a reasonable front loaded deal...which for a player of his skill and age, it's not that off base.

Like Chidi said:
    We have a winner!

The only thing that actually came out of Wallaces mouth was a tweet that said "Don't believe everything you read."

He has said he wants a long term deal. The Steelers want him to sign a long term deal. They will work out a long term deal.

Why would anyone want him to sign a one year tender that is his ticket out the door as a URFA next year????

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    We have a winner!

The only thing that actually came out of Wallaces mouth was a tweet that said "Don't believe everything you read."

He has said he wants a long term deal. The Steelers want him to sign a long term deal. They will work out a long term deal.

Why would anyone want him to sign a one year tender that is his ticket out the door as a URFA next year????
    Because they're hoping that while he was on that deal, he and the team were able to work out something reasonable long-term.

I really don't see how we keep him long-term unless he does sign the RFA tender, or else plays for something close to it in the first year of any long-term deal. That's all the room we have under the salary cap this year to offer him.

And I'm sorry if you think the backlash against him is too harsh, but until something comes out to indicate otherwise, it appears that things are heading in a pretty negative direction. And I think there's the part of us all that says "The RFA tag is something that YOUR players' union agreed to less than a year ago, and every other player has to deal with it too, and it's only for one season, so shut the hell up and play football like everyone else."
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

If somebody wants to trade a 1st round pick for him, then take it. Otherwise he walks in2013 with nothing in return but the comp pick the year after.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post

Like Chidi said:
    QFT. So many people are quick to judge...
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

I want to win a super bowl this year.

So there is no way in hell I want to lose wallace for an unproven pick if we can afford to keep him.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    I want to win a super bowl this year.

So there is no way in hell I want to lose wallace for an unproven pick if we can afford to keep him.
    This ^^^. No way we should lose Wallace. We have a multitude of defensive stars, but on offense: Ben, Brown and perhaps Miller. That's it. Haley would be incompetent (in my opinion) if he did't lobby very, very hard to keep Wallace. Wallace will only continue to get better and better... if you noticed he's improved every year.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    As we approach the draft, this kind of interest will naturally spin up.

I have to think the Browns are in the mix...again, addition by subraction AND addition. They take from us and weaken us AND add a player who can really help them in an area that is a key need. We would need their second round pick for this (I don't think they would trade #4, and I don't think we would want it) plus a whole lot of other stuff...but if the guy has become a malcontent let him go play for big money on a perennial bottom-feeder and let's get something for it...
    I don't think they would take less then a 1st for a division team.
    Merry Christmas

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post

Well let's be honest, he would have no trade value if Colbert said he didn't want to keep him.
    Merry Christmas