Thread: Steelers sign Doug Legursky

Hybrid View

Renegade. Array title="bayz101 has a reputation beyond repute"> bayz101's Avatar

Steelers sign Doug Legursky

Scott Brown ‏ @ScottBrown_Trib

Doug Legursky has signed his one-year tender, per agent David Rich.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Re: Steelers sign Doug Legursky

I'm happy with this. He might be undersized and not the most skilled, but he plays with a passion that makes him a bright spot on this line.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Hopefully, this too turns out to be about depth.
    Fire Goodell

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

Glad he is signed

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Senior Member Array title="Austin87 is an unknown quantity at this point"> Austin87's Avatar

Our backup center is back.

Senior Member Array title="7willBheaven is on a distinguished road"> 7willBheaven's Avatar

All these guys who were tendered will be slowly signing one by one, no surprises...I dont think theres many left outside of Wallace now...Lewis...and i cant think of any others left off the top of my head.

Senior Member Array title="one side only is a jewel in the rough"> one side only's Avatar

Ryan Mundy as well . . . hadn't heard about him signing.

Black & Gold Metal Array title="SteelGhost is on a distinguished road"> SteelGhost's Avatar

Nice move, Legs is a nice backup who plays with passion

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Versatile back up that has proved valuable. Good re-signing.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

I'm more excited about retaining Essex than I am Legursky.

There's not a guarantee that Legursky makes it out of camp.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post

There's not a guarantee that Legursky makes it out of camp.
    I couldn't disagree with you more. While I was happy to see Trai actually not embarrass himself when he played center late in the year, I still don't see him being nearly the player Legurskey is.

Legurskey plays all 3 interior line positions in a highly competent manner. While he's not quite quality starter material, he always seems to get the job done. To me Legurskey is an offensive equivalent of Chris Hoke. I guy I could easily see sticking around on the roster for another 5-8 years.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    I couldn't disagree with you more. While I was happy to see Trai actually not embarrass himself when he played center late in the year, I still don't see him being nearly the player Legurskey is.

Legurskey plays all 3 interior line positions in a highly competent manner. While he's not quite quality starter material, he always seems to get the job done. To me Legurskey is an offensive equivalent of Chris Hoke. I guy I could easily see sticking around on the roster for another 5-8 years.
    Legursky isn't starting material at all. I love the blue-collared effort he brings, but his pass protection is as bad as anyone guard in the league. He doesn't mirror and his short arms make it difficult for him to get intot he DTs pads.

I assume we're going to bring in at least two offensive lineman. At least one of them a guard. Let's say this is next year's starting five and I think it's a solid bet that it will to open 2012.

Gilbert, Rookie LG, Pouncey, Foster, Colon

Essex has one backup job locked down, mainly because of his versatility (Tomlin loves versatile backups). There could be two more spots but one is more likely and we started last season with 7 lineman on the active roster. Starting five of Scott, Kemoeatu, Pouncey, Foster, Colon with Foster and Chris Scott as backups. So you're going to again have a ton of players competing for one spot. You'll have Chris Scott, Trevis Turner, another rookie, and whoever else is brought in.

I think Legursky would be the favorite but there are certainly no guarantees. His versatility is nice but he's not the only guy that is going to play all interior positions. Eventually, it's going to come down to a battle of talent and in most of them, he'll lose out.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Legursky isn't starting material at all. I love the blue-collared effort he brings, but his pass protection is as bad as anyone guard in the league. He doesn't mirror and his short arms make it difficult for him to get intot he DTs pads.

I assume we're going to bring in at least two offensive lineman. At least one of them a guard. Let's say this is next year's starting five and I think it's a solid bet that it will to open 2012.

Gilbert, Rookie LG, Pouncey, Foster, Colon

Essex has one backup job locked down, mainly because of his versatility (Tomlin loves versatile backups). There could be two more spots but one is more likely and we started last season with 7 lineman on the active roster. Starting five of Scott, Kemoeatu, Pouncey, Foster, Colon with Foster and Chris Scott as backups. So you're going to again have a ton of players competing for one spot. You'll have Chris Scott, Trevis Turner, another rookie, and whoever else is brought in.

I think Legursky would be the favorite but there are certainly no guarantees. His versatility is nice but he's not the only guy that is going to play all interior positions. Eventually, it's going to come down to a battle of talent and in most of them, he'll lose out.
    Essexx is no more versatile than Legurskey. Oh I know they lined him up at tackle in a few games, but in order to get credit for position versatility you have to actually block the guy across from you occasionally. Essexx was embarrassed on virtually every snap he took at tackle last season.

Essexx is no more versatile than Legurskey. Oh I know they lined him up at tackle in a few games, but in order to get credit for position versatility you have to actually block the guy across from you occasionally. Essexx was embarrassed on virtually every snap he took at tackle last season.
    The fact that he has game exerpeince at both tackle spots makes him more versatile. There's a reason why he's a backup, he isn't very good at any position, but it still helps.

Swaggin' University Array title="ShutDown24 has a spectacular aura about"> ShutDown24's Avatar

Didn't Essex play tackle his entire college career apart from the tight end season?

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Agreed.

He is a young, strong hard working player with a huge heart and upside who will likely continue to improve.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Swaggin' University Array title="ShutDown24 has a spectacular aura about"> ShutDown24's Avatar

I agree.

Senior Member Array title="KeiselPower99 is on a distinguished road"> KeiselPower99's Avatar

Legursky has been proving people wrong since he came in as a rookie and I see that continuing. You can't put a price on a good backup.

Just happy to be here!! Array title="Polamalu Princess has a reputation beyond repute"> Polamalu Princess's Avatar

I think that it was a good move.

Angel Baby Faith our one and only 1/11/00 - 9/9/16 We love you.

Been watching some games from back in 2009 when Trai was the starting right guard. The Steelers right guard position has been below the line pretty much every year since the new Millenia started. That said Trai was by far the worst of the lot that year. When his man wasn't taking down Ben clean or flushing the pocket he was usually pushing Trai as if he were a blocking sled right into Ben's line of vision or into his arm interfering with his throwing motion. It's a joke to think he's better than Legursky in any way. He's a body you can line up. That's about it.