Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Penguin postseason thread.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Re: 2012 Penguin postseason thread.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    You sure liked them a lot when we signed them.

Martin, especially, has really under performed... or sucks as you put it.
    Well yeah, because I actually thought they would, you know, play up to the level that earned them those big, fat contracts? Martin and Michalek have played like absolute dogshit all year and Orpik has been terrible most of the second half of the season. Those three guys are eating up a total of $12.75 million in cap space. For that much money, I expect better. WAY better.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    Well yeah, because I actually thought they would, you know, play up to the level that earned them those big, fat contracts? Martin and Michalek have played like absolute dogshit all year and Orpik has been terrible most of the second half of the season. Those three guys are eating up a total of $12.75 million in cap space. For that much money, I expect better. WAY better.
    I don't disagree. They did look a lot better in the Store Window.

It did seem like they tried to squat on that 3 goal lead way too early though. There was even a comment that Bylsma was telling his guys "he liked the pressure, but didn't want that 3rd forward mixing it up down low."

I'm not saying that was what was going on, but it sure seemed to work early. Taking them out of their game seemed to be worse. Forwards dropping back to defend more seem to cause more confusion on this team.

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

I don't have a problem with vasteeler posting here. Even though he's a Flyers fan, he would keep it respectful if and when they beat the Pens. He's not the type to rub it in like most Flyers fans.
    I do hate everything that has to do with the Flyers even some of their ignorant fans, but if they are respectful then I would never have an issue with them.

I saw on the Pens report today that they are switching up the PP which I think will favor them. Sullivan will return to the point which will allow Sid and Malkin to rotate around the boards and find ways to get open. Well see Friday.
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

Reigning Black & Gold Array title="venom has a reputation beyond repute"> venom's Avatar

If there is a guarantee in sports , the Pens will beat the Flyers on Friday night ( dont know about the series though ) . I was shocked that the Pens just stopped playing hard for the 2nd and 3rd periods .

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

I will not give up on the Pens unless they are eliminated. Still, I have to ponder if the Flyers are just a bad match-up for us. They can match us in scoring and play better, or more consistent D. Fluery, who I thought played well last night by keeping us in the game, will have to play out of his mind if we are going to win this series.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

PP has been reworked:

Pens Alter Power Play Look

The Penguins power play had a new look at practice Thursday afternoon at CONSOL Energy Center.

The Penguins experimented with a number of different variations on the man-advantage, but the most prominent move was returning Steve Sullivan to the point, a position he played the majority of the season, alongside defenseman Kris Letang.

Up front the Penguins had Chris Kunitz in his usual net-front position while Evgeni Malkin was along the halfwall. In the first portion of drills Sidney Crosby and James Neal swapped spots.

“We tried some different looks,” Neal said. “We’re always trying different looks and doing different things on the power play. It’s something we put a lot of emphasis on and we’ve got to be better in that area. Special teams is going to win you games and create momentum for your team.”

Read More: http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home

This is very important that they fix this and return it back to normal. I hope it makes a difference come Friday night.

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

Shitty defense and complacency happened. The kiss of death in any playoff game or series.

As for the PP, it's real simple:

Sullivan and Letang on the points
    Crosby, Malkin, Neal up front

Make it so.
    worse thing that can happen to any team is try to sit on a lead. Sully is a hell of a guy to have on point i truly miss him in chitown uni. The hawks PP just plain sucked this year

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bayz101 View Post
    Yeah, I thought that was messed up too. Maybe he was just messing, but either way, not very homely

That said I was out of line, sorry. I carry a lot of emotion with my fandom. I'm jazzed up for this series and just I'm not into rationale discussion with an enemy fanbase.
    Guess you missed where I posted this?
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

Turn it around tonight Pens!

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

ROOT SPORTS™ | PIT ‏ @ROOTSPORTSPIT
    Niskanen had a day off, line-up will be game time decision. -DP

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Like I said before - they don't win tonight, they may as well make plans to hit the links at the end of next week.

Renegade. Array title="bayz101 has a reputation beyond repute"> bayz101's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Guess you missed where I posted this?
    The first few words of that post we're "How the hell" so I sort of moved on at that point

My apologies, I understand emotions will run high. Just have to sort of control them. I have a feeling that tonight emotions will be high in a good way. Go Pens!

Semi anonymous poster Array title="Kaeg is an unknown quantity at this point">

A goal in 15 seconds? I'll take that! Let's keep up the intensity all game long this time!

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

why isnt 87 on the PP?Just asking since i dont watch much Pens games

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Hophead Array title="SCSTILLER has a spectacular aura about"> SCSTILLER's Avatar

Is it me or do the announcers on NBCSports have s love affair with the Flyers?
    "The mountains are calling and I must go!" -- John Muir

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

Apparently the Pens don't feel like playing defense tonight

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

This is ridiculous

Hophead Array title="SCSTILLER has a spectacular aura about"> SCSTILLER's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hindes204 View Post
    This is ridiculous
    Not ridiculous, disgusting. The Pens are playing like this is an exhibition game.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Let's go Pens! Don't lose both games at home.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Hat trick for Couturier. Turn out the lights, the party is over. What a shame.

Yep, they are done. No point in even paying attention to the rest of the series.

Congratulations Flyers and their fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    Hat trick for Couturier. Turn out the lights, the party is over. What a shame.
    Pens keep playing like they are with no fire and hustle you will be spot on with "the party is over" quote
    Last edited by SCSTILLER; 04-14-2012 at 01:19 PM.

Yep, they are done. No point in even paying attention to the rest of the series.

Congratulations Flyers and their fans.
    It's never over til it's over, but it's over.

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

Damn man...

Quote Originally Posted by SCSTILLER View Post
    Pens keep playing like there are with no fire and hustle you will be spot on with "the party is over" quote
    No hustle is right. The Flyers are skating circles around them, getting to loose pucks faster, and laughing at the punk ass hits the Pens are trying to lay on them.

This sucks

Tonight was embarrassing to say the least...

It ain't lack of hustle...it's lack of defense and not making the smart and safe play when it's needed. Ben Lovejoy trying to send the puck up the middle of the ice on Couturier's 2nd goal instead of bouncing it off the boards. Terrible coverage in front of the net leaving Flyers wide open. Giving up 2 momentum-killing SHGs. Odd-man rushes. Basically, the same old shit almost from the day Crosby got back.

There had better be some BIG changes this off-season, both in personnel and in philosophy. The aggressive puck-possession scheme isn't working anymore and they obviously don't give a damn about defense. The biggest reason why they were able to get to the Final 2 years in a row was because when they needed to lock things down defensively, they were able to do it, while still being able to score when needed. There is NONE of that with this team. Unless there are changes made, there will be no more Cups for this team.

It ain't lack of hustle...it's lack of defense and not making the smart and safe play when it's needed. Ben Lovejoy trying to send the puck up the middle of the ice on Couturier's 2nd goal instead of bouncing it off the boards. Terrible coverage in front of the net leaving Flyers wide open. Giving up 2 momentum-killing SHGs. Odd-man rushes. Basically, the same old shit almost from the day Crosby got back.

There had better be some BIG changes this off-season, both in personnel and in philosophy. The aggressive puck-possession scheme isn't working anymore and they obviously don't give a damn about defense. The biggest reason why they were able to get to the Final 2 years in a row was because when they needed to lock things down defensively, they were able to do it, while still being able to score when needed. There is NONE of that with this team. Unless there are changes made, there will be no more Cups for this team.
    I'd like to see another defensemen picked in the draft this year. I think it would certainly help. PP was a little bit better tonight, but puck management and defense was sloppy again. Plus to add insult to injury, the Flyers are just out playing them after the first period.

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

I saw a lot of mental mistakes tonight.

On one Cryer goal, the Kid chased the guy the whole way to the net instead of backing off to clear the rebound when he realized he wasn't going to catch him. On another goal, we had our guys clustered in front of one side of the net and nobpdy guarding the other half of the ice. Youth soccer teams know better than that. Then there was the delay of game penalty...you're allowed to knock the puck down with your hand. Why play a puck that high with your stick?? Nothing good can happen.