Thread: Things That Make You Go Hmmmmmm (by rookie phenom - July 12, 2010)

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Things That Make You Go Hmmmmmm (by rookie phenom - July 12, 2010)

In previous seasons, the Pittsburgh Steelers were mainly known for being a smash mouth "run the ball down your throat" kind of team. Although last season was not nearly like those that were previous, the Steelers still won several games through the air. Last season the team had the presence of former Super bowl MVPs Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes, as well as the emergence of Mike Wallace as a top tier receiver for the steelers. With all this led by Big Ben, the steelers were transformed into a "pass first, ask questions later" offense. Unfortunately, now the team is faced with the unenviable task of starting practically from scratch. Holmes was traded away for nothing more than five bucks and a can of Pringles to the Jets and with the suspension of Ben for the first six games of the season, the team will be forced to become that rushing powerhouse that they were once known so well for. Some fans are happy to hear that the team may finally be getting back to their old ways of rushing the ball nonstop, but I'm certainly not.

For the first six games of the season, the team will be forced to use former backup Byron Leftwich or Dennis Dixon. As for the running game, injury prone "rush for a yard" Rashard Mendenhall will be thrown in as the immediate starter with no sign of a strong backup plan in sight. Not to mention that the same offensive line that left Ben practically handling steaks to a pack of wolves in the backfield, will now have to maintain a rushing game. With opposing defenses focusing on shutting down the run game against Pittsburgh, it will leave a backup quarterback with a now-depleted wide receiving corps to lead this team through the first six games of the season. Leftwich is nothing more than a backup, and fans will quickly realize that this is nothing short of being a fact. Now call me Dr. Doom if you want, but I can realistically see the Steelers going winless out of the gate until Ben does come back. Not to get ahead of myself, but with the expiring contract of LaMarr Woodley, Ward winding down his career and Ben still needing to prove that he is the leader of this team, then I can very well see that the next couple years for the Steelers may be bumpy.

© 2010 Steelers Universe

AKA Bullet Tooth Tony Array title="tony hipchest will become famous soon enough">

Re: Things That Make You Go Hmmmmmm: (by rookie phenom - July 12, 2010)

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Overall, I agree with your thought that we could struggle mightily until Ben comes back. But there are a couple points that I'd disagree with you on.

I think you were just being a bit cliche here, which is cool, but we weren't really much of an unbalanced team last year. Actually, quite the opposite. We were 7th overall in balance based on 1st quarter and 1st down pass/run numbers. The link to the whole study I conducted is as follows:

http://boards.espn.go.com/boards/mb/...6230409&tsn=21 (Post #40)

I agree that Holmes was traded away for very little, but I really don't think we could have gotten much more. He was facing a suspension (Or had already been suspended, forget which), and the biggest kicker being the fact he had one year left on this deal. Trade value goes way, way down. Especially when things went south in such a hurry; we wanted to quickly deal him and other teams weren't able to take the time to try to work out an extension. Don't forget that Holmes also falls under the 30% rule Woodley is stuck in. Meaning, he'll likely have to be tagged by the Jets in order to keep him around for at least two years. This is especially tough for the Jets, knowing all the money they'll have to/did invest in Ferguson, Revis, Mangold, and Harris. Holmes is probably a one time thing for New York. With how stingy teams can be in dealing draft picks, a 5th is probably the best we could have gotten.

What's all the hate towards Mendenhall about? Injury prone? He got hurt once. Granted, it knocked him out for a year, but that doesn't make him injury prone. Especially since it happened to the one part of your body that you can afford to get hurt, the shoulder. I'll take that over a knee or blow to the head anyday.

"Rush for a yard"? He averaged 4.6 yards last season.

I'm as cynical as they come, but I think we can at least get a win against the lowly Bucs even with Ben out.

SteelerSal

I don't see us doing so badly while Ben's out. I feel that lefty will do just enough to manage the game and keep opposing defenses honest.
    I also disagree on calling Mendy, "injury prone".

I think we will see a well balanced, successful offense.

Junior Member Array title="rookie phenom is an unknown quantity at this point">

I believe with the loss of our already diminish O-line, that losing Colon for the whole season will make it even worse than we realized.
    Sophomore slump?..... nothin but a myth

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

I can understand the doom and gloom feeling after all last year I was certain we were on our way to a repeat and was promptly knocked back on my butt. Why because the injury bug bit us hard and swift. This year we have already lost our starting RT and we haven't even begun the pre-season what's or should I say who is next? The only reason I am slightly concerned about who is behind center is due to that simple injury, who knows it may be Dixon and that may not be all that bad.

On the receivers side I will say that I have some faith in Wallace and Hines (who everybody wants to put in the old folks home) and if one of the new guys steps up we can count our blessings and if not we have A.R.E. waiting in the wings. So at least on this front I feel pretty good, maybe not 100% but still pretty good.

As for the run game I think Mendy will be just fine. I was more concerned going into last year with his lack of being near the team after his rookie year injury. I will also wait until we hear more from pre-season to judge this group. I have heard some positive things about Dwyer and will see how well he progresses. This could be something to keep an eye on as they are mostly unproven as pros hopefully it all pans out in the end.

Run vs pass. I have no problem with us passing the ball except in certain situations, like 3rd and one against the worst rush d in the league. At that point I wanna see us shove the run down their throats or at the goal line. Other than that if the pass is effective let's use it if it is not use the run.

Also let's not discount the D as of yet. They were not in their greatest form last year but barring any major injuries there is no reason to believe they can't return to their 2008 form.

My concerns going into this year are more of the injury, and coaching than anything else. I can't say how I feel about our season as of yet because we haven't got a whole lot to base things on. Hopefully our luck changes with the advent of the pre-season and we can come out the gates firing on mostly all cylinders.

The one thing I can say is this season can't get here quick enough. It has been a long and tumultuous off season and I am so damn ready for Steeler football!!!

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

We are better off running even with Ben, Mendy ran over 1,100 with limited reps and the pass 1st strategy led to so many costly redzone turnovers. We need to run the ball more. The recieving corp is not depleted, just because the steelers lost one guy doesn't mean the recieving corp is depleted or that they have to ignore the defense and drat two wide recievers. Hines Ward is still on the team, so is Mike Wallace, and the steelers got Randel El back

Disco Sucks!!! Array title="SirHulka is an unknown quantity at this point"> SirHulka's Avatar

You can't lose a 1000 yard receiver, and not have it hurt. What I'm going to be watching is the run game at first. Without #7 and 10, teams are going to put 8-9 guys in the box, and MAKE you throw the ball. And with the O-line like it is, that could be problematic.

The question on D is can Polamalu stay healthy for the entire year, or even most of it? He and Smith have to come back, or the D is suspect.

But looking at it from the outside, I have one overriding question. Something is wrong with the team. What is it? Chemistry? Desire? Leadership? I don't know. You guys had your entire offense in the game, and the playoffs were hanging in the balance, and you couldn't put up 10 points against us on a nationally televised game. You SHOULD have won at least 11 games last year. The first 4-6 games are going to be verrrrry interesting.
    If you wish to live wisely, ignore sayings............ including this one.

BRINGIN' IT! Array title="Indo is on a distinguished road"> Indo's Avatar

This is all I have to say about that:

"Chuck Noll is building one hell of a football team up in Pittsburgh. I look for the Steelers to be the team of the future. Just remember I said that."
    - - - Immortal Packers coach Vince Lombardi in 1970, two years before the Steelers even made the playoffs under Noll