Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1976 Raiders edge 2000 Ravens for title of 'greatest team ever'

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

1976 Raiders edge 2000 Ravens for title of 'greatest team ever'

The 1976 Oakland Raiders knocked the competition around and upside down, laughing now that they've conquered and won.

Pillaging just for fun in NFL.com's version of March Madness was the rough-and-tumble team of Hall of Fame coach John Madden that originally found its ultimate glory during professional football's romping-stomping 1970s heyday.

While the 1976 Raiders rampaged to a 13-1 regular-season finish and ransacked the Minnesota Vikings in Super Bowl XI, glory for the Silver and Black through a 64-team tournament of the greatest teams in NFL history came at the slightest of margins. A total of 5.2 million votes were cast by fans on NFL.com throughout the tournament, and in the final the 1976 Raiders edged the 2000 Ravens by the slimmest of margins -- winning 50.4 percent to 49.6 percent.

read more

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...module=HP11_cp

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Re: 1976 Raiders edge 2000 Ravens for title of 'greatest team ever'

Rather it be the Raiders than the Ravens.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

What a joke. How can the Ravens, a team without an offense, even be in the contest, let alone the final.

As I said on another thread, the 76 Raiders a great team. Top 10 all time quite likely. All time best? Not a fucking chance!

Just off the top of my head, in chronological order all these teams were better than the 76 Raiders.

58 Colts, 62 Packers, 72 Dolphins, 75 Steelers, 78 Steelers, 84 Forty Niners, 85 Bears, 89 Forty Niners, 92 Cowboys, and 96 Packers.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    What a joke. How can the Ravens, a team without an offense, even be in the contest, let alone the final.

defense wins championships!!!

The 2000 Ravens' run to the final was unprecedented. A team that failed to score a touchdown in five consecutive games during the franchise's lone championship season but was bolstered by one of the greatest defensive units in league history, Baltimore entered the tournament as a No. 9 seed. After eliminating the 2001 Patriots in the first round, the 2000 Ravens scored the biggest upset of the tournament by beating the top-seeded 1972 Dolphins in the second round. Following victories over the 1991 Redskins, 1998 Broncos and 1984 49ers, the 2000 Ravens were set up for their showdown to decide the "Greatest team of all time" title with the 1976 Raiders

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

As I said on another thread, the 76 Raiders a great team. Top 10 all time quite likely. All time best? Not a fucking chance!

Just off the top of my head, in chronological order all these teams were better than the 76 Raiders.

58 Colts, 62 Packers, 72 Dolphins, 75 Steelers, 78 Steelers, 84 Forty Niners, 85 Bears, 89 Forty Niners, 92 Cowboys, and 96 Packers.
    Ditto. No way the purple brownstains could've been in the final. Horseshit
    Last edited by tube517; 03-30-2012 at 10:40 PM.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    The 2000 Ravens' run to the final was unprecedented. A team that failed to score a touchdown in five consecutive games during the franchise's lone championship season but was bolstered by one of the greatest defensive units in league history, Baltimore entered the tournament as a No. 9 seed. After eliminating the 2001 Patriots in the first round, the 2000 Ravens scored the biggest upset of the tournament by beating the top-seeded 1972 Dolphins in the second round. Following victories over the 1991 Redskins, 1998 Broncos and 1984 49ers, the 2000 Ravens were set up for their showdown to decide the "Greatest team of all time" title with the 1976 Raiders

More like it was pure fairy tale quality fantasy.

What a joke. They should sue their programmer for those lousy results.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

That bracket was a joke. 76 Raiders are not a top 5 team and the 2000 Ravens lost 4 games and were led by Trent frickin Dilfer! That disqualifies you from the top 20. This bracket was overrun by Ratbird fans and steeler haters for most of the tourney. In the Steeler bracket with all the Superbowl championship teams, no Steeler team made it to the finals in that section. It was 76 Raiders and 99 Rams in that section. According to the people that voted, the 99 Rams were better than the 75 Steelers (obvious joke) and the 76 Raiders were better than the 78 Steelers (not true either)

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I keep looking for the Onion link...

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

The 2000 Ravens' run to the final was unprecedented.
    It's called ballot stuffing. It's the same reason that fan voting has turned the Pro Bowl into a joke.

A true championship would be between the following 72 Dolphins, 85 Bears, 75/78 Steelers, or 84/89 49ers. The 76 Raiders did not belong in the elite 8 and the 2000 Thugbirds did not belong in Round 2

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Don't forget the '76 Steelers which many of those players felt that that was their best year.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    It's called ballot stuffing. It's the same reason that fan voting has turned the Pro Bowl into a joke.
    My sentiments exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    A true championship would be between the following 72 Dolphins, 85 Bears, 75/78 Steelers, or 84/89 49ers. The 76 Raiders did not belong in the elite 8 and the 2000 Thugbirds did not belong in Round 2

They didn't even belong in the field. The 2000 Ravens had a great defense no doubt. But 2000 was a down season for the NFL. who exactly did they beat that would lead you to believe they were great?

The 74 Steelers were a much greater team. Well actually the 2000 ravens don't even deserve to be called great.

But to the comparison. The 74 Steelers were every bit as dominant on defense. But the Steelers had a Hall Of fame running back, and quarterback too. Also the Viking team they beat was chock full of Hall of Famers as was the Raider team they beat in the AFC title game. Find me a Hall of Famer on any of the teams the Ravens beat on their way to the Super bowl?

It's a joke. That Raven team isn't in the top 50 teams in NFL history, let alone the 2nd best ever.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

This is exactly how Obama got elected.
    All Defense!

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

I don't pay any attention to something that's decided by how many times people choose their favorite on a web site.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

2000 Ravens...lol. Please...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

I think it's Ravens fans overcompensating for themselves. The 2000 Ravens had a fantastic Defense, but that's their only claim to fame. Their Offense was a joke even with Dilfer at the helm and ran through a third-place schedule facing many mediocre quarterbacks along the way. The 2000 Ravens are one of the best "Defenses" of all time, but I don't think you can call them one of the best "teams" of all time.

The '76 Raiders I have no problem winning. They were good for a long time beforehand and had many excellent players and Future HOF'ers. Unlike the Ravens.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

85 Bears over the Raiders and neither is in the same class as the 1970s Steelers. Closest teams would be 1960s Packers and 1980s 49ers. It has already been done on the NFL Network.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="SteelerEmpire has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerEmpire's Avatar

Wow. Ravens can't even win a BS Super Bowl. Woodley was right. But the 76' Crackheads don't deserve the title either.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Who cares? The 76 Raiders will always be special to me, but..................... what have you done for me lately?

The past is great, but I want to win TODAY!

Fan driven crap like this should just be taken with a grain of salt and move on.

The 76 Raiders were not that impressive in the playoffs. There have been other teams with similar records that have had much more dominating postseasons than them. First they needed two unanswered TDs and a questionable call just to squeak by the Patriots, they benefited from not having to play Franco or Rocky in the championship game (both of qhom collected 1,000 yards that year), then they beat the Vikings who already made a habit of being battered in the Superbowl. As for the Ravens, 4 losses automatically disqualifies you from being a top twenty team, and I bet any championship winning defense would have held that offense to 7 points or less

Junior Member Array title="notenoughRings is an unknown quantity at this point">

The year in the '70s that the Raiders SHOULD HAVE won it all was in '72. If not for that flukish Immaculate Reception play (hey, we'll all take the win) the Raiders would have beaten undefeated Miami the following week and then of course Washington for all the marbles two weeks later. The '76 installment, however......man, a great team but CERTAINLY not the 'greatest of all-time' yet alone that very SEASON (not even SECOND-best in '76)! Most of their 13 wins were close ones. They get blown out by New England in the regular season and by a controversial call luck-out vs them in the conference semis (only for karma/'tuck-rule' to come back at them 25 years later) and of course by all means luck-out in the AFCC due to the Steelers not having Franco or Rocky in the backfield! That IS a legit excuse, folks. Just imagine Dallas not having Emmit Smith and Moose in the backfield, lose to Buffalo in the Super Bowl, and then everyone calling that Bills team 'greatest of all-time'; I mean seriously. Those in doubt simply need to LOOK at that Steelers '76 schedule/results for themselves and see just how scary/dominant they were after that 1-4 start (FIVE shutouts and 3 other wins without allowing a TD)! There should be TWO of these G.O.A.T. tourneys - one for pre-1978 and one for '78-and-beyond. That '76 Steelers team being the winner in the former, the '79 Steelers being the winner in the other. Yes, '79 instead of '78 in that despite having only a 12-4 record (instead of 14-2) had many injuries, Terry throwing more INTs than need be including the SB itself, yet standing atop the mountain anyway when all was done! And remember, that Rams team was certainly no '9-7' team once the playoffs began (Ferragamo, Wendell Tyler, Jackie Slater, the Youngbloods, Hacksaw Reynolds, Fred Dryer, etc); they were a strong-second-best in the entire league - would have beaten Houston or top-seed San Diego. This was obviosly a popularity contest voted by much younger fans who obviously don't remember just how AWESOME those Steeler teams were in either of the two eras (none of our teams even making the 'Elite 8'?? a JOKE)! If I'm a Raiders fan, I'm looking at 1983 as their best-ever team! In disguise as a 12-4 they completely DECIMATED a juggernaut 14-2 defending-champ Gibbs/Theismann Washington team! That 38-9 victory was no fluke! Now THAT'S a Raiders team that gets no respect even among Raider-fans themselves!

Latin Steel Array title="SMR has a spectacular aura about"> SMR's Avatar

I laughed the second I read the title of this thread.

Thanks for the good laugh.
    WE are the NFL's All-Time Dynasty!

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

If I'm a Raiders fan, I'm looking at 1983 as their best-ever team! In disguise as a 12-4 they completely DECIMATED a juggernaut 14-2 defending-champ Gibbs/Theismann Washington team! That 38-9 victory was no fluke! Now THAT'S a Raiders team that gets no respect even among Raider-fans themselves!
    Actually, most Raiders fans recognize the '83 team as the best Raiders team. The '76 team was special to me because I was in high school and we won our first SB. The '83 team was definitely the better team.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Roger Goodell is not happy...he will be submitting a revised version soon. Here's how his list of greatest teams ever reads:

1. 2001 Patriots
    2. 2004 Patriots
    3. 2003 Patriots
    Fire Goodell

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

If we had a healthy Franco or Rocky in 1976, the Steelers would have won FIVE Super Bowls in the 1970's. The '76 Raiders were a damn good team, but what the 1976 Steelers did was unprecedented.

And the 2000 Ravens were very fucking lucky that year. If lard ass Siragusa doesn't fall on and crush Rich Gannon in the AFC Championship Game, they don't go to the Super Bowl.

They went what, 5 games without scoring an offensive touchdown? They probably aren't even the best team of the fucking 2000's, much less the second best team of all time. I would put the DEFENSE in the discussion, but not the entire fucking team.

When will fucking Baltiwhore just fall into the ocean and cease to exist?

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

If they wanted this to be realistic, they would have suspended most of the 76 Raiders for hitting too hard in the opening round, thus causing them to lose in the second round.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

I think it was the '76 Steelers that pitched five defensive shutouts. In 2010, there were five shutouts ALL YEAR in the entire NFL.
    Fire Goodell