Thread: Rules changes focus of meetings

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Rules changes focus of meetings

By BARRY WILNER, AP Pro Football Writer

PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP)—Instant replay and injured reserve—the NFL’s IRs— will be main topics as the owners consider several rules changes at their spring meetings this week.

The Buffalo Bills have proposed having the booth official make all decisions on replay reviews instead of referees. Under another suggestion, the booth official also would be allowed to review all turnovers just as he now does for all scoring plays.

more: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...ap-nflmeetings

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Rules changes focus of meetings

I like the Bills' proposal on for the review of turnovers. Although, I think the referee should still make the review.

I agree with the Steelers that the overtime rules should be the same in the playoffs as the regular season, but I hate the new overtime rules. I'd like to see a modified college overtime rule in place. Instead of putting the ball on the 20(?), put the ball on the 50.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Glad they are looking at the IR rule. Mendenhall can be a beneficiary of that change. He probably won't need the whole season to recover. If he could play the second half of the season, why sit out the entire season?

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

You could change the IR rule to be similar to the PUP list and make it a 8 week thing and then you could come back and they would have to adjust roster then. Also I don't care which OT rules they use, just use them all the time.

My biggest problem with replays as it currently is , if the ref rules a 1/2 inch short of the goal , the team has to use a challenge, 1/2 inch the other way it's automatic, which gives a lot fo control to the refs in certain situations and if you do the same thing for TOs then they really get some power. So either all goal plays are reviewed , no matter how it was called or all should be team review and the same with TOs it needs to be auto review for all "loose" balls or team review for all.
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

Football needs to modify IR. I've never understood why a contact sport like football doesn't have a baseball-style disabled list.

For overtime, there should be a bid system. Each team brings a sealed envelope saying where their offense is willing to start. Lower bid (closer to their own goal line) gets the ball at that spot. Tie goes to the home team. First team to score wins.

Automatic review of turnovers is a terrible idea. Troy will never have another interception.