Thread: 18-game season for NFL dead issue

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

18-game season for NFL dead issue

18-game season for NFL dead issue

Two major issues, one that resembled a speeding locomotive and the other a possible train wreck, have disappeared from the agenda of the annual NFL meetings that will convene Sunday in Palm Beach, Fla.

The labor issues and lockout of the players that dominated the NFL this time last year were put to bed for a decade with the new collective bargaining agreement reached in July -- losing only the preseason game in Canton. And thoughts of an 18-game schedule, a pet project of commissioner Roger Goodell that seemed to be an inevitability not long ago, virtually has expired.

"I would say it's a dead issue for now," Steelers president Art Rooney II said in a telephone interview Friday. "I haven't heard anything about it. I don't know if it will come up in the future, but it's certainly not on the agenda for this meeting."

Goodell, no doubt at the behest of owners looking to maximize income, pushed hard for the addition of two games to the regular-season schedule and reduce the preseason by two games. The idea grew legs quickly and appeared to be a fait accompli.

Read More: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...it-627780/?p=1

Good, I'm glad its a dead issue. There is no need for an eighteen game season, especially if the NFL is increasing player safety.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Re: 18-game season for NFL dead issue

And thoughts of an 18-game schedule, a pet project of commissioner Roger Goodell that seemed to be an inevitability not long ago, virtually has expired
    B-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but, this is what the fans want.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I know only ONE fan who wanted this and everyone else who I talked to about it, didn't want it. It was highly unpopular with the fans and the players.

Swaggin' University Array title="ShutDown24 has a spectacular aura about"> ShutDown24's Avatar

I think as long as the fans continue to voice their dislike of the idea the lague would be smart to not only keep the idea on the shelf but to bury it.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Hopefully now we can get back to other brilliant ideas such as NFL teams in Europe and the first Super Bowl in London!
    All Defense!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Good. Fuck that noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Let's hope it gets put to bed FOREVER!

Senior Member Array title="XxKnightxX has a spectacular aura about"> XxKnightxX's Avatar

In the meantime, Art Rooney and the Steelers have proposed two rules changes for the 2012 season that will be presented to the owners for a vote next week:

• Use overtime rules adopted for the playoffs last season in the regular season as well.

Make the horse-collar tackle of a quarterback in the pocket a penalty, as it is everywhere else on the field.
    Watch this rule get passed for everyone, except Ben, who gets horse collared all the time.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Any word about addressing the chop block? I guess players knees aren't as important?

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

thank God
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

They should just get rid of the grounding penalty to help protect the QB, however it may look like a practice session rather than a real game.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I get your sarcasm. But what really pisses me off is that when Herr Goodell goes on talk shows and insists that the fans want 18 games, no one calls him on the carpet and says, no Roger, the fans don't want it. Just because the fans resent and don't like being made to pay full price for crap exhibition games doesn't mean they want the football season lengthened.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    Any word about addressing the chop block? I guess defensive players knees aren't as important?

Corrected it for ya!
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    They should just get rid of the grounding penalty to help protect the QB, however it may look like a practice session rather than a real game.
    I'd rather see it be five yards and a loss of down. That might balance protecting the quarterback with avoiding a farce where they can just throw the ball away to avoid a sack.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    I get your sarcasm. But what really pisses me off is that when Herr Goodell goes on talk shows and insists that the fans want 18 games, no one calls him on the carpet and says, no Roger, the fans don't want it. Just because the fans resent and don't like being made to pay full price for crap exhibition games doesn't mean they want the football season lengthened.
    I was watching NBC Sports Network (formerly VS) and Costas had a town hall with Jerrah Jones, and Phyllis Rivers, Jamal Lewis and some other players, during Super Bowl week. jerrah was arguing for the 18 game season. Costas was skeptical and had a "yeah, right" attitude about it. The players were not really interested.

Senior Member Array title="steelerdiva will become famous soon enough"> steelerdiva's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Bingo.
    Hometown Gal.....R.I.P My Black and Gold Sister...See ya in the morning.

The broad formerly known as memphissteelergirl

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Any word about addressing the chop block? I guess players knees aren't as important?
    The team's propose the rule changes. Why aren't the Steelers proposing it?

AKA xfl2001fan-GO BROWNS! Array title="GitNoLuv is on a distinguished road"> GitNoLuv's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    I assume it's because of the 3-4 defense...their lineman aren't getting the pressure on the QB like in a typicaly 4-3...and the linebackers are quick enough to avoid the chop block that most of your DE/DT's can't get out of the way of. Chop block probably doesn't affect the Steelers near as much as the QB Horse Collar rule does.

OT Rules all season long makes sense...one standard across the board simplifies the process of officiating (and that has always been an issue...the major and unnecessary complications in how games are run.)
    Official SteelUniverse Guru and BrainTrust Committee Chairman!!!

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Because they are a class organization and they don't want to appear to be running to the league for protection in their rivalry battle.

However, with the priority of player safety, you don't believe chop blocking should be addressed? This is not a Pittsburgh/Baltimore issue. It just seems ridiculous to me that chop blocking is allowed at all. Why the practice of taking out a defender's legs is allowed because of the relative positions of the blockers makes no sense to me.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GitNoLuv View Post
    I assume it's because of the 3-4 defense...their lineman aren't getting the pressure on the QB like in a typicaly 4-3...and the linebackers are quick enough to avoid the chop block that most of your DE/DT's can't get out of the way of. Chop block probably doesn't affect the Steelers near as much as the QB Horse Collar rule does.

OT Rules all season long makes sense...one standard across the board simplifies the process of officiating (and that has always been an issue...the major and unnecessary complications in how games are run.)
    The Steelers' were affected badly by the chop bock/no chop block rule. The Ravens did that all game Week 1. If any team has a reason to want to get it changed, it's us.

Because they are a class organization and they don't want to appear to be running to the league for protection in their rivalry battle.

However, with the priority of player safety, you don't believe chop blocking should be addressed? This is not a Pittsburgh/Baltimore issue. It just seems ridiculous to me that chop blocking is allowed at all. Why the practice of taking out a defender's legs is allowed because of the relative positions of the blockers makes no sense to me.
    Sure, it could be addressed. But a team needs to propose it in order for the competition committee to take a look at it (that's my understanding at least). Why don't we propose it?

Sure, it could be addressed. But a team needs to propose it in order for the competition committee to take a look at it (that's my understanding at least). Why don't we propose it?
    Do you know how the rule reads? Does the position of the leg hit make a difference? Above the knee, below the knee? I just don't understand the rationale of this rule to begin with.

I don't think the Steelers want to appear to be crying over spilt milk. They may bring this forward in a future season, but I am sure they would get ridiculed for not sucking it up and taking it like men.

AKA xfl2001fan-GO BROWNS! Array title="GitNoLuv is on a distinguished road"> GitNoLuv's Avatar

The Steelers' were affected badly by the chop bock/no chop block rule. The Ravens did that all game Week 1. If any team has a reason to want to get it changed, it's us.
    I didn't think that was part of the Ratbirds MO...my bad on that. Even as dirty as they play...I figured it was primarily their defense doing the dirty work.
    Official SteelUniverse Guru and BrainTrust Committee Chairman!!!