Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Trayvon Martin

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Re: Trayvon Martin

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    On a serious note, the narrative that Martin was an innocent little boy continues to fall apart as the autopsy showed traces of marijuana in his blood and urine. That, of course, really has no bearing on culpability, but it does defeat the media's conclusions that they irresponsibly jumped to when they tried this case in public without having anywhere near enough facts to do so...
    Without benefit of all the evidence. If I had to hazard a guess right now, I would think Zimmerman is at worst guilty of Man 2. If the jury's only option's are either convict Murder 2 or acquit, I would say Zimmerman gets a walk, or at least based on what's evidence has been made available to date you'd have to lean that way.

Now common sense would say they would have the option to convict on the lesser charge. But this is Florida after all, and if I'm not mistaken the Casey Anthony jury didn't have that option, and that's why she's free today. So I'm not sure what would be different in this case that they'd have the choice?

If by chance it's murder 2 or nothing the D.A did a terrible job in filing this case regardless of verdict. .
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Without benefit of all the evidence. If I had to hazard a guess right now, I would think Zimmerman is at worst guilty of Man 2.
    That's what he was going to be arrested for. Or at least one detective thought so. Based on what we know so far, that seems about right.
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="steeldawg is a jewel in the rough">

On a serious note, the narrative that Martin was an innocent little boy continues to fall apart as the autopsy showed traces of marijuana in his blood and urine. That, of course, really has no bearing on culpability, but it does defeat the media's conclusions that they irresponsibly jumped to when they tried this case in public without having anywhere near enough facts to do so...
    Yes unfortunately this all to common among the media, they purposely exclude and shape facts to make for a more polarizing story. It is a tough situation for zimmerman because even if it is self defense will the proof be enough to get him off of the charges, or will he be convicted because the media has worked up such a frenzy that he gets convicted just to appease a public who has been mislead by an irresponsible media.

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

Without benefit of all the evidence. If I had to hazard a guess right now, I would think Zimmerman is at worst guilty of Man 2. If the jury's only option's are either convict Murder 2 or acquit, I would say Zimmerman gets a walk, or at least based on what's evidence has been made available to date you'd have to lean that way.

Now common sense would say they would have the option to convict on the lesser charge. But this is Florida after all, and if I'm not mistaken the Casey Anthony jury didn't have that option, and that's why she's free today. So I'm not sure what would be different in this case that they'd have the choice?

If by chance it's murder 2 or nothing the D.A did a terrible job in filing this case regardless of verdict. .
    There were no lesser charges included, so yes, you are correct, if the jury concludes he is innocent of murder 2, he walks. I think the prosecuter buckled under pressures from the media and went for a murder two charge as oppossed to the more likely manslaughter case.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

That's what he was going to be arrested for. Or at least one detective thought so. Based on what we know so far, that seems about right.
    The only way charging him with Murder 2 makes sense to me is if it's a ploy to get Zimmerman to plead out to Man 1 or 2. Which the more I think of it has to be what's in play here. If this case goes to trial not only will Zimmerman be on trial, but so will Florida's stand your ground law. I don't really think they want to go there.

So if you initially charge Zimmerman with manslaughter, what incentive does his legal team have to plea the case out? Put in for murder 2, and even though they ( Zimmerman's defense) have a reasonably strong hand to beat it, do they gamble 25 years, when you offer them a deal that potentially has their client out in 3-5?

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

The only way charging him with Murder 2 makes sense to me is if it's a ploy to get Zimmerman to plead out to Man 1 or 2. Which the more I think of it has to be what's in play here. If this case goes to trial not only will Zimmerman be on trial, but so will Florida's stand your ground law. I don't really think they want to go there.

So if you initially charge Zimmerman with manslaughter, what incentive does his legal team have to plea the case out? Put in for murder 2, and even though they ( Zimmerman's defense) have a reasonably strong hand to beat it, do they gamble 25 years, when you offer them a deal that potentially has their client out in 3-5?
    The prosecuter can still lower the charge to manslaughter if she wants to. I just dont think she will due to the high profile the case has. I think they are reaching for the murder 2 and it will come back to get them at the end. The same thing happened with the Casey Anthony case.

I am not sure about the plea deal idea...with a case of this magnitude, Im not even sure they offer him a deal at all.

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

I think the whole thing should be a mistrial because of the media's conviction and tampering of 911 calls/evidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

You're probably right Hindes. I guess you can just call it wishful thinking on my part. Because to me a plea down to manslaughter makes so much sense from every angle of this case.

From the prosecution's perspective. Overcharge the case, the fact's don't support the charge. You end up with bubkis.

Also you know the defense is going to trot out a "Stand your ground" defense. Do you really want to challenge your own laws in this venue? And even if you win the case due to the racial aspect of things, do you feel good sending a man away for 25 years that deserves less than half of that time?

From the defense. You know by law you have a winning hand and there's no a chance in hell an objective and fair jury will substantiate a 2nd degree murder charge. But you also know this isn't a normal trial. You know a full out acquittal will mean blood in the streets. You also know the jury pool is aware of this. They have to live in this community. Do you gamble they'll have the fortitude to do the right thing and dismiss the certain fall out that will follow a not guilty verdict?

From the ignorant masses that are ready to erupt's standpoint, and the press that feeds them.

The man's been charged and prosecuted. Maybe you overturn a few trashcans and bash in a few windshields, but really how worked up can you get when the press that feeds you will largely find this verdict sorta satisfactory?