Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trayvon Martin

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Re: Trayvon Martin

It's all about race now

by Patrick J. Buchanan

If it had been a white teenager who was shot, and a 28-year-old black guy who shot him, the black guy would have been arrested.

So assert those demanding the arrest of George Zimmerman, who shot and killed Trayvon Martin.

And they may be right.

Yet if Trayvon had been shot dead by a black neighborhood watch volunteer, Jesse Jackson would not have been in a pulpit in Sanford, Fla., howling that he had been "murdered and martyred."

Maxine Waters would not be screaming "hate crime."

Rep. Hank Johnson would not be raging that Trayvon had been "executed." And ex-Black Panther Bobby Rush would not have been wearing a hoodie in the well of the House.

Which tells you what this whipped-up hysteria is all about.

It is not about finding the truth about what happened that night in Sanford when Zimmerman followed Trayvon in his SUV, and the two wound up in a fight, with Trayvon dead.

It is about the exacerbation of and the exploitation of racial conflict.

And it is about an irreconcilable conflict of visions about what the real America is in the year 2012.

Zimmerman "profiled" Trayvon, we are told. And perhaps he did.

But why? What did George Zimmerman, self-styled protector of his gated community, see that night from the wheel of his SUV?

He saw a male. And males are 90 percent of prison inmates. He saw a stranger over 6 feet tall. And he saw a black man or youth with a hood over his head.

Why would this raise Zimmerman's antennae?

Perhaps because black males between 16 and 36, though only 2 to 3 percent of the population, are responsible for a third of all our crimes.

In some cities, 40 percent of all black males are in jail or prison, on probation or parole, or have criminal records. This is not a product of white racism but of prosecutions and convictions of criminal acts.

Had Zimmerman seen a black woman or older man in his neighborhood, he likely would never have tensed up or called in.

For all the abuse he has received, Geraldo Rivera had a point.

Whenever cable TV runs hidden-camera footage of a liquor or convenience store being held up and someone behind the counter being shot, the perp is often a black male wearing a hoodie.

Listening to the heated rhetoric coming from demonstrations around the country, from the Black Caucus and TV talkers -- about how America is a terrifying place for young black males to grow up in because of the constant danger from white vigilantes -- one wonders what country of the mind these people are living in.

The real America is a country where the black crime rate is seven times as high as the white rate. It is a country where white criminals choose black victims in 3 percent of their crimes, but black criminals choose white victims in 45 percent of their crimes.

Black journalists point to the racism manifest even in progressive cities, where cabs deliberately pass them by to pick up white folks down the block.

That this happens is undeniable. But, again, what is behind it?

As Heather Mac Donald of the Manhattan Institute has written, from January to June 2008 in New York City, 83 percent of all identified gun assailants were black and 15 percent were Hispanics.

Together, blacks and Hispanics accounted for 98 percent of gun assaults.

Translated: If a cabdriver is going to be mugged or murdered in New York City by a fare, 49 times out of 50 his assailant or killer will be black or Hispanic.

Fernando Mateo of the New York State Federation of Taxi Drivers has told his drivers, "Profile your passengers" for your own protection. "The God's honest truth is that 99 percent of the people that are robbing, stealing, killing these guys are blacks and Hispanics."

Fernando Mateo is himself black and Hispanic.

Read more: http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=50546
    Last edited by X-Terminator; 04-01-2012 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Please do not post full articles, for copyright purposes.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="SteelerEmpire has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerEmpire's Avatar

But only about 15% of blacks in the black community commit crimes; but almost all say they have been pulled over, profiled, or "examined" on the spot. The vast majority are hard working Americans, but are they profiled for being hard workers ? No. It's that minority of blacks committing crimes that the entire society focuses on. The contents of the above article is just one more example.

When an entire population is regularly "profiled", they become paranoid (and rightfully so). And when a situation like Treyvon Martin arises, that paranoia manifests in this type of response made by the black community.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Fear. Culturally propogated fear.

And that article is 100% right. If Zimmerman was black, and Martin white, Zimmerman would be in jail right now.
    Fire Goodell

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

As the Media Spin's

2. NBC told the Washington Post that it has launched an internal investigation of the "Today" show's editorial process after its morning show aired an edited conversation between George Zimmerman and a 911 dispatcher recorded moments before the shooting. The investigation came after Fox News and others pointed out that the network spliced two parts of the call together, making it appear as if Zimmerman had said, "This guy looks like he's up to no good. He looks black." In reality, Zimmerman was answering a dispatcher's question:

Zimmerman: This guy looks like he's up to no good. Or he's on drugs or something. It's raining and he's just walking around, looking about.
    Dispatcher: OK, and this guy--is he black, white or Hispanic?
    Zimmerman: He looks black.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerEmpire View Post
    But only about 15% of blacks in the black community commit crimes; but almost all say they have been pulled over, profiled, or "examined" on the spot. The vast majority are hard working Americans, but are they profiled for being hard workers ? No. It's that minority of blacks committing crimes that the entire society focuses on. The contents of the above article is just one more example.

When an entire population is regularly "profiled", they become paranoid (and rightfully so). And when a situation like Treyvon Martin arises, that paranoia manifests in this type of response made by the black community.
    In some cities, 40 percent of all black males are in jail or prison, on probation or parole, or have criminal records. This is not a product of white racism but of prosecutions and convictions of criminal acts.
    Personally I can see where a displaced young black male would arouse suspicion. Particularly if he's obscuring his face with a hoodie.

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    Fear. Culturally propogated fear.

And that article is 100% right. If Zimmerman was black, and Martin white, Zimmerman would be in jail right now.
    We would have never known about it but you're right.
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

I would also like to comment on the SYG Law. Now this is under fire and will no doubt be used to ban all side arms in America. The problem I see is that fights aren't over when someone hits the ground anymore. Now if you go down, they are going to get on top of you and ground and pound you until you are severely beaten and maimed or dead. There is NO telling how far the aggressor is going to go before he/they stop(s).

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/video?id=8437429

Gareth Avery, 48, has permanent damage to his eyesight after he was stamped on and kicked as he lay unconscious in a pool of blood near his home in Severn Avenue, Weston-super-Mare, Somerset. Daniel Fawcett, 21, of Severn Road, Weston, Spencer Pettifor, 17, of Kestrel Drive, and Alan Stevens, 17, of Brompton Road, were jailed for a total of 10 years and nine months for the attack in February.

Steve Gator, a 26-year-old Essex England man spent two weeks in a coma and was not expected to survive, following a beat down by two thugs who beat him so badly, doctors had to remove nearly half his skull to save his life.

Arrests In Phillies Fan Beating Death

Charges Pending; Fans Express Disbelief

PHILADELPHIA - Philadelphia police have two men in custody and expect to arrest another person in connection with Saturday night’s beating death of a Phillies fan outside Citizens Bank Park.

Investigators said a fight began inside McFadden's Restaurant and Saloon at the ballpark and then spilled out into a parking lot, where the 22-year-old man was beaten to death, Fox 29's Steve Keeley reported.
    Now if you think I am going to wait around and see what becomes of me and HOPE I don't sustain life changing/ending injuries then you are severely mistaken. I can take care of myself for the most part but I am not a big guy, in fact that dude who got beat by the teens is way bigger then I am. If I'm confronted by a group who is obviously looking for trouble and I feel my life is in danger then I will absolutely defend myself accordingly and I think that is what the law is for.
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES

HTG ¤-

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Gun control only works for law abiding citizens, not the criminals!

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

SYG should not be questioned. Again, if it's even applicable here, it will be to defend Martin, not Zimmerman.

And I agree with Mach...any attempt to "control" guns now will only result in tipping the scale much further in the criminals favor. All the law abiding citizens will mostly turn their guns in, and the criminals won't.
    Fire Goodell

Official Troll Array title="The Patriot is a name known to all"> The Patriot's Avatar

New *enhanced* version of the police surveillance video clearly shows a gash on the back of Zimmerman's head. I'm not defending Zimmerman, but this is probably enough to validate his claim of self-defense. Zimmerman will be acquitted, there will be riots, and the discussion of issues like racial profiling will be set back 5 years because the media needed a controversy to run with.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1397022.html

Senior Member Array title="SteelerEmpire has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerEmpire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Personally I can see where a displaced young black male would arouse suspicion. Particularly if he's obscuring his face with a hoodie.
    Conversely, blacks could probably see where a police officer in uniform could also. But "40% of all black males are in jail or in prison in some cities" means that 60% are not. And still that does't remove the fact that most blacks don't commit crimes (black males included)... be they in a hoodie or not. That's like saying someone has committed a crime before they committed one. Any profiling (whites against blacks, blacks against whites) just shows a hidden fear in the mind of the profiler.

Most minorities now view whites (esp. whites in institutions, in power, etc...) as dishonest, un-trustworthy, liar's to get what they want, someone that's gonna screw you out of something. But only a few whites (out of the total number) actually will. Does that make it right to label all whites that wear a suit and tie/uniform that way ?

It's a problem that goes to the root of our culture. A person could have done 1000 things in their lifetime that was good... that was right. But let them do one (1) thing wrong and all the good is erased and the bad is now "who they are". That's medieval a level of thinking in my opinion. You'd expect civilization as a whole to have evolved beyond that by now. But they obviously have't. We find one thing wrong with a person or a people and that's the definition we give them. We totally ignore the potential benefit they can contribute to society. That's a terrible weakness we as a human species must get out of if we are to avoid a lot of trouble as far as the eye can see.

Conversely, blacks could probably see where a police officer in uniform could also. But "40% of all black males are in jail or in prison in some cities" means that 60% are't." Still, that does't remove the fact that most blacks don't commit crimes... be they in a hoodie or not.
    Blah blah blah, you're not telling me anything I don't know. But guess what? Profiling works. That's what insurance companies do when they set rates. That's what they do in Israel's airports where they pat down the Palestinian guy instead of the Yenta grandma. (unlike our idiotic TSA who strip search the mentally disabled kid while Mohamed walks right on through.)

We don't know all the details yet, but the possibility the kid was "profiled" is just part of life. Hell my kid probably would have been stopped and questioned by Zimmerman too. He wears his pants like an idiot and has been known to sport a hoodie. So what it comes down to is if you're not doing anything wrong, state your business, and if the guy keeps harassing you call 911. Don't attack him! Physically or verbally. Don't escalate the situation.

I've been in about 40 states and 20 odd countries in my time. In just about every sort of neighborhood. And there's a real simple way to stay safe. If you're not on your home turf, keep a low profile, lose the attitude, and keep your responses measured. I've known and acted upon that philosophy since I was 10. Basically it's common sense. Something there's far too little of in this world.

Blah blah blah, you're not telling me anything I don't know. But guess what? Profiling works. That's what insurance companies do when they set rates. That's what they do in Israel's airports where they pat down the Palestinian guy instead of the Yenta grandma. (unlike our idiotic TSA who strip search the mentally disabled kid while Mohamed walks right on through.)

We don't know all the details yet, but the possibility the kid was "profiled" is just part of life. Hell my kid probably would have been stopped and questioned by Zimmerman too. He wears his pants like an idiot and has been known to sport a hoodie. So what it comes down to is if you're not doing anything wrong, state your business, and if the guy keeps harassing you call 911. Don't attack him! Physically or verbally. Don't escalate the situation.

I've been in about 40 states and 20 odd countries in my time. In just about every sort of neighborhood. And there's a real simple way to stay safe. If you're not on your home turf, keep a low profile, lose the attitude, and keep your responses measured. I've known and acted upon that philosophy since I was 10. Basically it's common sense. Something there's far too little of in this world.
    Ok. What about the non-felons that went around "going postal" in the past and now... as you can't have a felony and work at the post office. The young girl next door that drowns her kids in the lake or bathtub. The kids from the suburbs that stalk and kills their fellow students and teachers at school in mass shootings. What about all the murders, rapes, etc... by people that "don't fit the profile". My question is: what criteria should we use to profile these people on their physical appearance ? to They "should" have been profiled. That leads me to this conclusion: if your gonna profile a certain group of people, it's "best" to profile EVERYBODY because EVERYBODY commits crimes. I think that's the most logical way to go. Do it for all, or do it for nobody.

Ok. What about the non-felons that went around "going postal" in the past and now... as you can't have a felony and work at the post office. The young girl next door that drowns her kids in the lake or bathtub. The kids from the suburbs that stalk and kills their fellow students and teachers at school in mass shootings. What about all the murders, rapes, etc... by people that "don't fit the profile". My question is: what criteria should we use to profile these people on their physical appearance ? to They "should" have been profiled. That leads me to this conclusion: if your gonna profile a certain group of people, it's "best" to profile EVERYBODY because EVERYBODY commits crimes. I think that's the most logical way to go. Do it for all, or do it for nobody.

You're getting ridiculous. Sure there's exceptions to everything. There's the occasional 5'11" basket ball player who has some game too. But if you make a habit of recruiting the short kids, short is how long you can expect to keep your job.

You're getting ridiculous. Sure there's exceptions to everything. There's the occasional 5'11" basket ball player who has some game too. But if you make a habit of recruiting the short kids, short is how long you can expect to keep your job.
    If your "really" serious about fighting crime, I think it's best to profile everyone. That will minimize crime the most.

If your "really" serious about fighting crime, I think it's best to profile everyone. That will minimize crime the most.
    How Orwellian 1984. No thanks. I'd rather take a commons sense approach and miss on the odd occasion.

Actually, everyone already profiles and stereotypes. If they say they don't, they are lying. It's part of our evolution...it's the same as if you were to string together the numbers 1-25, but left out like number 13. Your mind will "fill it in" because it's so used to seeing all the numbers in the sequence.

White people see rap videos, kids hanging out in the hood, etc, etc dressing a certain way and they "fill in the blanks" that that mode of dress stands for a certain type of thing. Then they stereotype everyone who dresses that way. Works both ways, really...

The thing nobody mentions is that, at least in my experience, BLACK cops are the most racist against blacks. THEY are the ones doing the most stereotyping. Can't tell you how many times when I was in my fraternity we would all be hanging out and doing the same exact thing, but when the cops rolled up on us they pinned the black guy against the wall and asked the rest of us whites kids what was going on...
    Fire Goodell

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

If you come away from this fiasco with only one lesson, I hope it's this: The media cannot be trusted to tell you the facts.
    In this case, not only did they twist what was available to fit their narrative, but actually *fabricated* items to intentionally deceive you.

Observe:
    http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...960/-1/NEWSMAP

The coverage of this story was intentionally distorted to promote a political agenda. It happens all the time, but this time they got caught in the act. Always remember that they have no compunction about lying to you. If you want to get to the bottom of a story, take the time to look into it yourself.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Official Troll Array title="The Patriot is a name known to all"> The Patriot's Avatar

NBC reportedly fired a news producer for editing the Zimmerman 911 call.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upshot/n...201124740.html

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

Quote Originally Posted by The Patriot View Post
    NBC reportedly fired a news producer for editing the Zimmerman 911 call.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upshot/n...201124740.html
    That idiot did Zimmerman a huge favor in the court of public opinion. Now we can't trust anything we "know" about the case because a supposedly objective news source lied.

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    That idiot did Zimmerman a huge favor in the court of public opinion. Now we can't trust anything we "know" about the case because a supposedly objective news source lied.
    No more so then the huge favor the other outlets did for Trayvon.
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES

HTG ¤-

Sadly, I fear we will never know what went down...but I also fear almost everyone has already decided, based mostly on incomplete data and internet rumors...
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="The WH will become famous soon enough"> The WH's Avatar

not only "incomplete" data. But purposely manipulated incomplete data.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...topNews&rpc=71

Pennsylvanian at heart Array title="steelpinstripe87 will become famous soon enough"> steelpinstripe87's Avatar

If I were Trayvon, I would have defended myself as well. It was Trayvon who had the right to the Stand Your Ground law, as Zimmerman instigated it. A couple of years ago, I was accosted by a strange man outside of a metro station. He grabbed me by the arm. To get away, I kneed him in the groin. Like Trayvon, who didn't know why Zimmerman was following him, I had no idea what this guy wanted, so I instinctively defended myself. Does that mean that the guy would have had a right to shoot me, then? If this happened in Florida and he killed me after I defended myself, the police would get his side of the story and not mine, as I would be dead, much like what is happening with Trayvon now. And for everyone who is like, "But Trayvon was 6'3! He weighed more than Zimmerman!", my brother is 6'3 and weighs about ten pounds more than I do (I'm 5'9, 117, just for the record).
    MAR, May 2012

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

Quote Originally Posted by steelpinstripe87 View Post
    And for everyone who is like, "But Trayvon was 6'3! He weighed more than Zimmerman!", my brother is 6'3 and weighs about ten pounds more than I do (I'm 5'9, 117, just for the record).
    To put into perspective how skinny that is, I weigh 145 and have a 30-inch waistline. Which is also the smallest size you can reliably find in men's pants.

Senior Member Array title="The WH will become famous soon enough"> The WH's Avatar

Zimmerman had more than 20 lbs on the departed.

Quote Originally Posted by steelpinstripe87 View Post
    If I were Trayvon, I would have defended myself as well. It was Trayvon who had the right to the Stand Your Ground law, as Zimmerman instigated it. A couple of years ago, I was accosted by a strange man outside of a metro station. He grabbed me by the arm. To get away, I kneed him in the groin. Like Trayvon, who didn't know why Zimmerman was following him, I had no idea what this guy wanted, so I instinctively defended myself. Does that mean that the guy would have had a right to shoot me, then? If this happened in Florida and he killed me after I defended myself, the police would get his side of the story and not mine, as I would be dead, much like what is happening with Trayvon now. And for everyone who is like, "But Trayvon was 6'3! He weighed more than Zimmerman!", my brother is 6'3 and weighs about ten pounds more than I do (I'm 5'9, 117, just for the record).

But there are witnesses (at least we THINK there are witnesses) who supposedly said Martin jumped Zimmerman and was beating him. So, although we don't know, in a case like your, apples-to-apples would be if the guy grabbed your arm, then you hid behind a trash can, and started beating him senseless.

To me, this is about measured responses. If someone pulls a knife on you, I don't think throwing a hand grenade at them is a measured response. In turn, if someone tosses a hand grenade, the original knife wielder doesn't have the right to retaliate with a tactical nuke.

If what we think we know is accurate so far, Zimmerman is guilty of stalking/menacing, Martin should MAYBE get off on stand your ground (depending, of course), and Zimmerman is either guilty of second degree murder or will get off on self-defense.

IF Martin didn't just run away, but rather hid and then jumped Zimmerman, his response did not measure-up to Zimmerman's original action. Then they both are guilty. IF Martin just tried to get away, and Zimmerman shot him, then Zimmerman is guilty of both stalking AND second degree homicide. The third option, which will be almost impossible to prove, is that Zimmerman intended to kill Martin all along. That seemed reasonably possible based on all the false reporting from the early stages, but seems almost IMpossible now.

Very complicated case, though....which is exactly why Zimmerman has not yet been arrested. IF the police had a reliable witness right from the start that corroborated Zimmerman's story, then how could they arrest him?
    Fire Goodell

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Here you go, Suit. If our community wants to change public perception, we need more people like Earl Baldwin to step up:

Earl Baldwin will lie in a coffin in the street — and has — to get young people to see the consequences of crime.

Baldwin, 42, of Beechview, has spent more than half of his 22 years in state penitentiaries and juvenile jails for offenses such as burglary and robbery — crimes that helped support a drug habit, he said. It took the killing of his brother, Jeffrey Baldwin, 30, outside a Knoxville bar in 2001 to set him straight.

Now, he tries to help people — particularly the young — stay out of prison through his North Side barbershop, Hallelujah Anyhow, and by performing poignant, self-written plays with a neighborhood cast.

When the spirit moves him, he said, he hops in the coffin.

"If that's what it takes to keep another child from laying in a casket, that's what I'll do," he said, displaying the coffin he bought from a junk dealer for $100. He stores it in a back room of his shop. "This is one casket that no kid will ever lie in."

Baldwin cuts hair and tries to save souls at the shop on East Ohio Street, which he opened in 2010 upon his release from prison. Two of the three other barbers who work there have served time. Baldwin calls it a "gospel talk" shop, because he says people "can get a touch-up on the inside as well as the outside."

Bibles, crosses and religious tracts lie among the clippers, blow-dryers and cans of hair spray on his counter. Gospel music plays on the sound system, and gospel programming runs on shop televisions. Profanity is prohibited.

So is what Baldwin terms "man talk," conversations unfit for women and children. He runs a place where mothers can safely bring their children and street people can drop by for a kind word or prayer.

"I like the way he cuts, and it's civilized," said Deron Kenney, 16, who's been a customer since Baldwin's shop opened. "There isn't any drama in here."

Baldwin has written three plays centering on themes common in poor areas, including domestic violence, prison, drugs, murder and AIDS. The titles are self-explanatory — "If You Must Shoot, Shoot Me, But Leave My Brother Alone," "The Day the Devil Died" and "The Seed That You Sow Will Be The Seed That You Reap."

He enlists people such as fellow barber Tracy Wade, 37, of McKees Rocks, and friend Yvonne Morris, 55, of the North Side, as actors. They perform at local high schools, juvenile facilities and halfway houses, among other places.

The plays are intentionally shocking. The opening scene of "If You Must Shoot" includes a man slapping a woman and being taken away to jail. The slap is real, Baldwin said.

"It's a very powerful play," said Jay A. Gilmer, coordinator for the Pittsburgh Initiative to Reduce Crime. "It's more like skits of situations that are going to be very common to those in the audience. It's where they live. That's clear in some of the conversations that happen after the performance. It's very clear that they are identifying with it."

Read more: North Side barber uses shop, plays to mentor youths - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

This barber shop, BTW, is close to where I grew up and I have relatives that live nearby. You may also know where this is since you say you sometimes tailgate pretty close to that street.

The religious angle may turn a few off, but this is at least "real".

Usually, the approach is to either talk to people like they are retards, and be really hokey so there's no credibility, or to sugar-coat things.
    Fire Goodell

Question: Since the media has taken to calling Zimmerman a "White-Hispanic", should we start calling Obama a "White-Black" or "White-African American"?

I mean he's just as half white as Zimmerman is....
    Fire Goodell