Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2012 NCAA Tournament Thread

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

2012 NCAA Tournament Thread

Brackets unveiled tonight at 6.

Talk about March Madness here!!

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament Thread

Carolina got the easiest bracket. Uk got screwed having to play uconn 2nd. Not even sure how uconn got in but they are talented. Duke's bottom half is moderately difficult I would say.

The only team in UNC's upper half that has a shot is Creighton. LOL. What a humerous statement.... But true.

I bet Im gonna be talking to myself a lot in here.. No Pitt...

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

CU (Univ. of Colorado) and Colorado State both made the dance for the first time since '03 and both as #11 seeds - wonder how far they'll go?

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Rooting for Iona and St. Bonaventure!

Senior Member Array title="Carolina Steelers has a spectacular aura about"> Carolina Steelers's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

I'm in a pool @ work heres my final 4, not really no surprises money @ stake

Kentucky, Missouri, UNC, and Syracuse

No upsets really mostly chalk except VCU over Wichita St.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

VCU isn't even really an upset pick anymore...they are just a solid team. Shaka Smart used to be an assistant at Akron...looks like the young Padawah learner is now the master.

I haven't really got into the brackets yet...there's got to be some 13/4 and 12/5 upsets buried in there. There always are...
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="Carolina Steelers has a spectacular aura about"> Carolina Steelers's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    VCU isn't even really an upset pick anymore...they are just a solid team. Shaka Smart used to be an assistant at Akron...looks like the young Padawah learner is now the master.

I haven't really got into the brackets yet...there's got to be some 13/4 and 12/5 upsets buried in there. There always are...
    I know i just needed to pick a 12 5 upset

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

I'm with you on that VCU/Wichita St. pick. The only other one that "teases" me is Long Beach State.

Here's an intriguing 13/4: Michigan/Ohio. They are VERY similar teams. They aren't big (both teams will be playing 6'8ish posts, and running 3 or even 4 guards), and they play a lot of inside/outside and rely on the 3. Ohio has an outstanding Jr. guard in DJ Cooper, the kind of kid who if he gets hot can light it up. They won 27 games this year, and their RPI is a solid 47 (and that's on fairly weak SOS of 165).Tournament play often hinges on solid upperclassman guard play, and he's a good one. They knocked off Georgetown as (I believe) a 14 seed a couple years ago, so big games aren't going to scare them. Not saying they'll pull off the upset, but I know the team and they are certainly capable, especially because of their match-up. If they get hot from downtown and Michigan has a lid on the basket, I could see this being an upset.
    Fire Goodell

Belmont could beat Georgetown. Really thinking about picking that upset there...

Senior Member Array title="Nadroj 20 is just really nice"> Nadroj 20's Avatar

I think he will be at Illinois next season.
    "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"
    ~Rest In Peace HometownGal~

I'm with you on that VCU/Wichita St. pick. The only other one that "teases" me is Long Beach State.

Here's an intriguing 13/4: Michigan/Ohio. They are VERY similar teams. They aren't big (both teams will be playing 6'8ish posts, and running 3 or even 4 guards), and they play a lot of inside/outside and rely on the 3. Ohio has an outstanding Jr. guard in DJ Cooper, the kind of kid who if he gets hot can light it up. They won 27 games this year, and their RPI is a solid 47 (and that's on fairly weak SOS of 165).Tournament play often hinges on solid upperclassman guard play, and he's a good one. They knocked off Georgetown as (I believe) a 14 seed a couple years ago, so big games aren't going to scare them. Not saying they'll pull off the upset, but I know the team and they are certainly capable, especially because of their match-up. If they get hot from downtown and Michigan has a lid on the basket, I could see this being an upset.
    I agree 100%. They are also one of the best defensive teams in the country. Top 10 in steals and opp 3 pt %.

Michigan can live on the 3 at times and I think Ohio is solid enough to prevent them from getting hot from 3.

Quote Originally Posted by steeldevil View Post
    Belmont could beat Georgetown. Really thinking about picking that upset there...
    Henry Sims for Georgetown will be key.

Carolina got the easiest bracket. Uk got screwed having to play uconn 2nd. Not even sure how uconn got in but they are talented. Duke's bottom half is moderately difficult I would say.

The only team in UNC's upper half that has a shot is Creighton. LOL. What a humerous statement.... But true.

I bet Im gonna be talking to myself a lot in here.. No Pitt...
    Iowa State is no gimmie. I'm not convinced UConn is going to walk all over them and get to the next round very easily.

I'm having a tough time deciding that game.

One I had the toughest time with in the first round was witchita state vs. vcu. Ended up going vcu.

I picked Belmont over Georgetown. Really think it will happen.

One I had the toughest time with in the first round was witchita state vs. vcu. Ended up going vcu.

I picked Belmont over Georgetown. Really think it will happen.
    I'm still having trouble with that one. Watching Georgetown in the big east tourney made me like them and of course I haven't seen Belmont play. I can just look at their numbers, which are nice. Top 5 in nation in scoring and assists.

Like I said earlier Henry Sims for Georgetown is going to be key. He had a very nice few games in the Big East tourney.

I would like to know your opinion on N.C. State?

Well nc state should be a higher seed because they should have beat unc....

Anyway, I have them beating san Diego state and then beating Belmont, before losing to Kansas. They are capable I going very far, they are very talented. But only playing 7 will hurt them.

They will be top 15 next year if cj Leslie stays. They finally got a coach I think.

My final four is Syracuse, Kansas, louisville, and duke. Duke the champs.

It a complete homer pick. We pretty much suck right now and baylor or unlv would probably beat us in the s16.

But I always pick us to win it so....

Understandable. I'm not quite done with mine yet. I think I'm studying the bracket more then I am for finals

I'm actually thinking about jumpin on Baylor to the final 4...

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Pitt left out of N.I.T., accepts invite to College Basketball Tournament

Pitt already knew it would not be playing in the NCAA tournament for the first time in 11 years, and Sunday night the Panthers learned they would not be playing in the National Invitation Tournament, either.

Pitt (17-16) was left out of the 32-team N.I.T. field, but the Panthers did accept a bid to the College Basketball Invitational, a 16-team tournament with games at campus sites.

Pitt will play host to Wofford Wednesday at 7 p.m. at the Petersen Events Center. Tickets for the game are $20 and will go on sale Monday morning at 10:00 a.m.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12071...#ixzz1oxRjbuIS

Damn, weren't even invited to the NIT. O well, still am going to cheer for them. I hope they can win it all.

Interesting....Yahoo Sports (which is under-rated coverage IMO) has listed some of the same upset watch teams as we have:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-...161448903.html

Iona, St. Bonaventure, Belmont and Ohio
    Fire Goodell

Another upset team I like is Long Beach State. They are an old team with a guy name Casper Ware who can really play. But I hate their match up with a strieky New Mexico team. Then if they were to win they get a hot Louisville team coming off a Big East championship.

I have heard some noise about Davidson but I think they are too small and rely to heavily on the three to stay with louisville. Siva for louisville can probably get to the basket faster backwards AND blindfolded then any of Davidsons guards period.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadroj 20 View Post
    Another upset team I like is Long Beach State. They are an old team with a guy name Casper Ware who can really play. But I hate their match up with a strieky New Mexico team. Then if they were to win they get a hot Louisville team coming off a Big East championship.

I have heard some noise about Davidson but I think they are too small and rely to heavily on the three to stay with louisville. Siva for louisville can probably get to the basket faster backwards AND blindfolded then any of Davidsons guards period.
    I am in 3 brackets, and I picked LBST in two of them. The Vegas odds have UK 5-2 and, surprisingly, OSU next at 6-1. I hate picking my own team, though....
    Fire Goodell

I am in 3 brackets, and I picked LBST in two of them. The Vegas odds have UK 5-2 and, surprisingly, OSU next at 6-1. I hate picking my own team, though....
    I think OSU is getting credit for how they just dominated duke (sorry steeldevil ) earlier this year. They've showed when they are on and Buford and Thomas are hittin along with Sullinger making his presence known down low they are a tough out.

Fab Melo ineligible. FSU is now in their place in mine.

At least Syracuse dis the right thing here. UK and Uconn wouldn't. And a shit ton of schools in football wouldn't.

I have LBS winning as well.

Interesting....Yahoo Sports (which is under-rated coverage IMO) has listed some of the same upset watch teams as we have:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-...161448903.html

Iona, St. Bonaventure, Belmont and Ohio
    I think Belmont over Gerogetown could go down as one of the most picked 14 over 3's in history.

Oddly enough, I picked G-town to lose, my girlfriend has them in the Final Four. Go figure.

She has only done brackets the last 2 years, I been doing them since I was 8, so 15 years....

She has beaten me both times, in the scoring system we use at least....

Quote Originally Posted by Nadroj 20 View Post
    I think OSU is getting credit for how they just dominated duke (sorry steeldevil ) earlier this year. They've showed when they are on and Buford and Thomas are hittin along with Sullinger making his presence known down low they are a tough out.

It seems like Duke always takes an asswhooping or 2 every year now...

I'll take it as long was we can still go like 32-6 or something like that.

Fab Melo being out is HUGE. I have Ohio State and NC in now.
    Fire Goodell

I actually went with K-State to take out Syracuse in the 2nd round. I thought why not? I don't think Syracuse can get past sweet 16 (haven't since 03) without Fab anyway so I'll take a shot at a big upset there.

Now if Southern Miss beats K-State.....well I don't wanna talk about it

My Zips fought valiantly, but missed a 3 at the buzzer to drop to Northwestern 76-74. Those Wildcats shoot the 3-ball as well as any college team I have ever seen.
    Fire Goodell

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Pitt won their game yesterday and will play Princeton next.