Thread: 2012 Conference Tournaments Thread

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

2012 Conference Tournaments Thread

A little late as some of the small conference tournaments have already started, but I thought it would be a good idea to start this thread.

Murray State almost lost today.

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

Re: 2012 Conference Tournaments Thread

Davidson won the SoCon Tourney.

Saint Mary's won over Gonzaga in the West Coact Conference???Or whatever that conference is.

Big East T starts today.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Pitt got that W.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    Pitt got that W.
    Still need 4 more though...

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

Come on Pitt come on!!!!
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

Duke F Ryan Kelly will miss the ACCT with an ankle injury.

Don't like our chances to win a 4th straight ACC Championship anymore...

And thats assuming Josh Hairston can play. He had a concussion about a week ago...

If he cant play we have no shot at it.

Hopefully Kelly can come back for the NCAAT. I would hope he would gut it out for that....

Uh can someone beat Uconn please??

Pitts season is done. Pretty sure they don't even qualify for the NIT because I think you have to have a .500 or better conference record to make it. Not sure though.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

This may be the end of our season. Not going to lie, I'm worried about this upcoming season.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Can't complain...both my teams won their respective conferences with big season ending wins. OSU beat Michigan State on a William Buford buzzer beater on the Spartans home court where they haven't lost this year to claim a share of the title, and my Zips won the MAC regular season title (for the first time ever) outright by beating (and sweeping) arch rival Kent State on THEIR home court where they had also not previously lost that season.

The Bucks are probably a solid two-seed, especially with that big MSU win, and could maybe be looking at even playing close to home if they win the Big Ten tourney.

Unfortunately for my Zips, They'll have to win their conference to make the big dance, and the best they could possibly hope for is a 13 seed. Both my teams suffer the same malady, which is taking off whole halves of b-ball games then being forced to storm back. When the Bucks are playing their A-game, they can beat anybody in the Country (just ask Duke and Florida, both of whom took poundings at the hands of OSU earlier in the season). But the Big Ten grind wore them down a bit...it's easily hands-down the best conference in college basketball top-to-bottom this year. I'm not sure how they'll do in the tournament because of that.

As for Akron, at least if they get knocked out of the tournament, they automatically won a bid to the NIT where they match-up much better talent-wise. Regardless, it's nice to have two teams to watch in the post-season.
    Fire Goodell

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    Can't complain...both my teams won their respective conferences with big season ending wins. OSU beat Michigan State on a William Buford buzzer beater on the Spartans home court where they haven't lost this year to claim a share of the title, and my Zips won the MAC regular season title (for the first time ever) outright by beating (and sweeping) arch rival Kent State on THEIR home court where they had also not previously lost that season.

The Bucks are probably a solid two-seed, especially with that big MSU win, and could maybe be looking at even playing close to home if they win the Big Ten tourney.

Unfortunately for my Zips, They'll have to win their conference to make the big dance, and the best they could possibly hope for is a 13 seed. Both my teams suffer the same malady, which is taking off whole halves of b-ball games then being forced to storm back. When the Bucks are playing their A-game, they can beat anybody in the Country (just ask Duke and Florida, both of whom took poundings at the hands of OSU earlier in the season). But the Big Ten grind wore them down a bit...it's easily hands-down the best conference in college basketball top-to-bottom this year. I'm not sure how they'll do in the tournament because of that.

As for Akron, at least if they get knocked out of the tournament, they automatically won a bid to the NIT where they match-up much better talent-wise. Regardless, it's nice to have two teams to watch in the post-season.
    Thats what the Big East people were saying before Uconn won it last year. "Well we can't get it done in the NCAAT because we beat each other up too much in the season." Don't buy it at all. In fact, although I hate them, Uconn pretty much disproved this last season. They won 5 games in the BE tourney, then won 6 more in a row to be the champs. All this after the supposed "beating up" they took in the BE regular season.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

The difference being that UConn was pretty stinky in conference play, and had to win their way in. I don't count a team playing mediocre ball from the middle of the pack in the regular season as being part of a grueling schedule...sure, they played a tough schedule but they weren't under any particular pressure because of their average play. They also came off a crappy year where they didn't make the NCAA's and there were no expectations for them to do much to begin with.

I remember there being clear discussions after they lost their last two games that they weren't even a bubble team by the end of the regular season, that if they lost in the conference tourney they were headed to the NIT. It's a lot different to be a top 10 team all year, and have every single team gunning for you every single night like the Buckeyes did this year.

And I can't compare how the Big East of last year shapes up versus the Big Ten of this year, suffice it to say that there is no doubt in anyone's mind that the BT this year is the toughest conference in college basketball. The RPI's, SOS and number of ranked teams all year back that up. oSU had a target on their back form day one, and they held up pretty well, despite all that pressure, not to mention the expectations that brought Sullinger back when he would have been an obvious NBA lottery pick.

UConn got hot when it counted most.
    Fire Goodell

I'm pretty sure UCONN always has a target on their back and always gets everyone in the BE's best shot.

But I don't want to be put in a debate where I am backing up UCONN...

Screw them.

UConn had missed the tournamnet 2 of the prior four years...program was in a shambles. In fact, one could make a decent argument that people were purposefully overlooking them last year at the end of the season, which helped enable them to advance the way they did.
    Fire Goodell

Purposefully overlooking your opponent in a tournament setting? Good lord I would hope not.

I read an article THIS MORNING about a team looking past their tourney opponent because their rival was waiting in the wings. They pulled off the win, but got complacent with a big lead. Every team says they don't do it, but every team does. It's exactly the reason why their are upsets like 12's beating 5's with regularity.

Anyway, my point stands. OSU had to play MSU at home, Wisconsin at home, Michigan on the road, Illinois at home (one of their few earlier losses that seasosn) and then Michigan State on the road in the last couple weeks of the season. They had already played a very tough OOC schedule against Duke, Florida and Kansas. I think their SOS was 8. Everyone in their conference was gunning for them and bringing their A game every night. They are one of the youngest teams in d-1 basketball. All that stuff mounts. Every conference claims the same, but not every conference is as tough as the Big Ten is this year. That stuff matters.
    Fire Goodell

Well thats just plain stupid if true.

I find it surprising that Ohio State's SOS is only 8. I would think it is even higher than that.

I don't buy into having a very tough schedule makes it difficult to perform in the post season. Every year the top programs, for the most part, play very hard schedules and it is frequently one of those programs that wins the NC.

Of course if Kentucky wins it it will be an exception because SEC BB is pathetic. And because they would probably have to forfeit it in a few years anyway.

Carolina just got away with robbery. ZERO doubt about it. Anyone who says otherwise is a fool.... Just sayin'.

Justice served. Glad the ACC has a legit champ.

Congrats Florida State on winning your first ACC Championship.

And UK lost too. Great final day before the NCAAT.

My Zips can't beat Ohio. They drew Northwestern and John Shurna in the NIT.
    Fire Goodell