Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers Reportedly Won’t Bring Back WR Hines Ward

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Steelers Reportedly Won’t Bring Back WR Hines Ward

Hines Ward is one of the iconic Pittsburgh Steelers so playing football in anything but black and gold would feel like a mismatch. But NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora told “NFL Total Access” Friday that Ward won’t be back next season, according to his sources. As the Steelers work to restructure contracts and manuever below the salary cap, the circumstances are dictating the twilight of Ward’s 14-year career. On the books, he has one year and $4 million left on his current contract. On the field, Ward also took a backseat to youngsters Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown, posting his lowest receiving totals since his rookie season in 1998.

Source: NFL.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Steeler Nation Array title="O'Malley will become famous soon enough"> O'Malley's Avatar

Re: Steelers Reportedly Won’t Bring Back WR Hines Ward

I was under the impression that we would not hear the final word on Ward until March 1st... Is this just reporting to report?

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

I'm guessing his source is "educated guess".
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Don't let it end like this Hines. Retire a Steeler.

Steeler Nation Array title="O'Malley will become famous soon enough"> O'Malley's Avatar

Nothing on the official Steelers page.. I will beleive it when I see it.

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

I really hope they find a way to make it work...just one more year. I don't want to see him play anywhere else and I still think he can contribute

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by O'Malley View Post
    I was under the impression that we would not hear the final word on Ward until May 1st... Is this just reporting to report?
    Or no sooner than March, at least - I think that is when roster bonuses start to kick in.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I wouldn't be surprised but I don't trust LaCanfora. I'll believe it when I see it.

It's on NFL page not the Steelers page... I see this a lot.. Hope it's just bad reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Or no sooner than March, at least - I think that is when roster bonuses start to kick in.
    Fixed it on my post.. I meant March 1..

Renegade. Array title="bayz101 has a reputation beyond repute"> bayz101's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

No surprise. He was behind Cotchery on the depth chart. Maybe he retires and then playsvthisvseason for the Colts

Renegade. Array title="bayz101 has a reputation beyond repute"> bayz101's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    No surprise. He was behind Cotchery on the depth chart. Maybe he retires and then playsvthisvseason for the Colts

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

this is arians fault for not throwing more bubble screens his way

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

With Ben in Indy.

Black and Gold Lantern Array title="The Duke is just really nice"> The Duke's Avatar

ugh, I seriously hope not...

wouldn't mind him as a cheap #5 just for the chance at another ring, but his skills are mostly gone, no need to go elsewhere. Retire Hines!
    "We're a team. There's no offense. There's no defense. There's no special teams. We're one. We're a band of brothers." – Ben Roethlisberger

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I'd be pissed if they kept Hampton and Farrior and let Ward go. If Ward goes, the other old guys should follow, if not precede him. I like the "Youth movement," but would love Ward to stick around one more season...

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Just reading the title made my heart sink.

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

I couldnt bare to see my dog get old.
    I looked at her with clouded vision.
    My vision was clouded with love and fond memories.
    Close friends appreciated that dog and were saddened to see her get old.
    She declined and aged quickly towards the end.
    She could only walk around the yard boundaries as her eyesight failed.
    She didnt rush to her food to engulf it down quickly.
    She even started to soil herself without even knowing.

I knew it was getting close to the time that I should put her down.
    I kept hoping that fate would intervene and one day she would die peacefully in her sleep.
    I kept prolonging the inevitable until one I just knew it was the right thing to do.

The look in her eyes said it all. Please end it for me because I dont have the capacity to do it myself.
    I finally summed up the courage to take her to the vet.
    She walked inside with me knowing what lay ahead.
    I lifted her onto the table and gave her one last hug

The vet placed the needle in and I watched her slowly leave us.
    I was devasted and relieved at the same time.
    I will admit that I cried a few tears.

I broke the news to my wife and two young daughters
    They were devasted and they too cried.
    We buried our pet with dignity
    We celebrated her life and shared stories

Our spirits lifted, but our hearts were still heavy.
    Every time we saw her picture, or another border collie we were reminded of her.
    We would talk about her with foundness and love in our hearts, and still do.

But we love our new maltese shitzhu too
    Zac is a great dog and my daughters love him dearly
    But they still shed a tear whenever they think of ROXY

Why do I share this story...............

Everyone has a favourite dog or pet. Everyone hates to see it get old. Everyone loses objectivity when it comes to making decisions when loved ones are hurting.

Everyone would have a similar story from some aspect of their life.

If you havent worked this out, my story is an analogy for footballers too.
    We hate to see it but our favourites will all eventually have to put down their boots.
    Some will do it willingly. Some will have it taken from them in their prime.
    And others unfortunately will need someone to hold their hand and show them the way.

For some Hines Ward may indeed be " the most favourite pet / steeler" for many of us.
    My advice is too prepare for the inevitable. Sad and Unfortunate, but true.

I just hope that Hines can see the end coming and go out on his terms and not be laid to rest at the hands of others.

Aussie

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I had a favorite dog one time, but then it got old and just started blowing diarrhea out of its butt everywhere.
    One time we were sitting down to eat dinner, and all of a sudden - BWWWUUTTTTTTTTTTTTT all up and down the wall, its hips bucking up and down, for 12 full seconds.
    I timed it with a stopwatch I kept at the table for the purpose.
    The whole family used to gather around and laugh every time it happened, because we were insensitive motherfuckers.
    My 6-year-old brother Jake would even point.
    We laughed some more and high-fived him for that.

Anyway, one day we knew it was time.
    We went with the family up to our favorite spot by the sea, and up on top of a big cliff overlooking the waves.
    It was so serene.
    I found a big stick, and ran up to the edge of the cliff egging our dog on, then right at the end, I wound up and threw it as far as I could in a beautiful arc through the sky.
    The dog didn't buy it, and stopped short of the edge, watching the stick fall down into the waves and wagging his tail.
    None of us knew what to do.
    We all thought he was dumb enough to run right over the cliff, but there he was, wagging his tail and smiling.
    So I ran up behind him and delivered a big roundhouse kick, as hard as I could.
    It was the most perfect kick of my life.
    I was only 10 years old, but it hit him right in the asshole and lifted him a good three feet into the air.

As he was flying over the edge, he looked back at me.
    On his face was an expression speaking of incredible betrayal.
    How could you do this to me?
    Then it wore off and he was just excited to be falling, and I was excited for him too.
    We watched him fall down 100 feet, 200 feet, more, wondering if he'd clear the rocks.

He didn't, by the slimmest of margins.
    Tumbling end over end, just his head clipped a rock by the waterline, and a faint red mist spattered into the surrounding tidepools.
    It didn't take long before the birds closed in and started eating little bits of brain off the rocks.
    I felt horrified - what have I done?
    But then there was Jake, running up with a big grin on his face
    And Dad, giving me a big hug and a power handshake
    "Good job son, way to be a man. I'm proud of you."

Then we all hugged, and a tear came into my eye
    and Dad grabbed me by the throat and snapped at me,
    "Don't be such a pussy. I did not raise a son who's going to play for the Patriots."

Then we all laughed and went out for pizza,
    and when we were done and piling into the car, I found our dog's old leash
    and I felt sad, so I laid it on the ground
    and then I pissed all over it and set it on fire
    and then we drove off like assholes, yelling and kicking up tons of gravel into the air with our tires.

That was my favorite dog ever, and I'll always miss him.
    Later, we all went to jail for armed robbery.

If you couldn't tell, that story was about Hines Ward. I'm not sure how, or what the point was, but think about it and you'll understand how significant he was to this football team.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
    I couldnt bare to see my dog get old.
    I looked at her with clouded vision.
    My vision was clouded with love and fond memories.
    Close friends appreciated that dog and were saddened to see her get old.
    She declined and aged quickly towards the end.
    She could only walk around the yard boundaries as her eyesight failed.
    She didnt rush to her food to engulf it down quickly.
    She even started to soil herself without even knowing.

I knew it was getting close to the time that I should put her down.
    I kept hoping that fate would intervene and one day she would die peacefully in her sleep.
    I kept prolonging the inevitable until one I just knew it was the right thing to do.

The look in her eyes said it all. Please end it for me because I dont have the capacity to do it myself.
    I finally summed up the courage to take her to the vet.
    She walked inside with me knowing what lay ahead.
    I lifted her onto the table and gave her one last hug

The vet placed the needle in and I watched her slowly leave us.
    I was devasted and relieved at the same time.
    I will admit that I cried a few tears.

I broke the news to my wife and two young daughters
    They were devasted and they too cried.
    We buried our pet with dignity
    We celebrated her life and shared stories

Our spirits lifted, but our hearts were still heavy.
    Every time we saw her picture, or another border collie we were reminded of her.
    We would talk about her with foundness and love in our hearts, and still do.

But we love our new maltese shitzhu too
    Zac is a great dog and my daughters love him dearly
    But they still shed a tear whenever they think of ROXY

Why do I share this story...............

Everyone has a favourite dog or pet. Everyone hates to see it get old. Everyone loses objectivity when it comes to making decisions when loved ones are hurting.

Everyone would have a similar story from some aspect of their life.

If you havent worked this out, my story is an analogy for footballers too.
    We hate to see it but our favourites will all eventually have to put down their boots.
    Some will do it willingly. Some will have it taken from them in their prime.
    And others unfortunately will need someone to hold their hand and show them the way.

For some Hines Ward may indeed be " the most favourite pet / steeler" for many of us.
    My advice is too prepare for the inevitable. Sad and Unfortunate, but true.

I just hope that Hines can see the end coming and go out on his terms and not be laid to rest at the hands of others.

Aussie

Man. That was a sad story. I just want to stay home today and spend the whole day with my dog now!

I understand what your saying tho. Hines should realize he had great career and should retire aa a Steeler!

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Even at vet minimum Ward is risking his health. Not only has he slowed dramatically and dropped many passes, he is also leaving himself exposed like never before and taking punishing hits. He is like a boxer who stayed in the ring too long thinking he still had it, but lost it a few fights ago.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Ward wasn't even that great as a blocker last year. He had a a few shining moments, but overall his play was lackluster throughout the season.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="Buckinnuts is on a distinguished road"> Buckinnuts's Avatar

man I hope not...but thats the steelers history of stuff like that...if he is let go I wish him the best and rest assured we will miss the small things he does even when not on the field, being a mentor and a vetern leader and classy guy that he is...knowing he wants to restructure to stay...give him one more year....I know there will be a lot of devastated fans out there....I can think of a few others other than Hines I would rather see be released...smith , hampton, foote, farrior

KNOCKIN ON 7'S DOOR!

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Mark Kaboly@MarkKaboly_Trib
    If Hines doesn't come back it is not going to be because of money. It is because the #Steelers think he has nothing left to offer on field

Senior Member Array title="slippy will become famous soon enough"> slippy's Avatar

i love ward as much as anybody, but if two receivers get injured at the same time do you sentimental guys really want hines coming in as the third or second receiver? it could cripple the passing game.

what if sanders has another injury year and wallace pops a hammie.

They need to sign Cotchery if they don't re-sign Ward

Quote Originally Posted by slippy View Post
    i love ward as much as anybody, but if two receivers get injured at the same time do you sentimental guys really want hines coming in as the third or second receiver? it could cripple the passing game.

what if sanders has another injury year and wallace pops a hammie.
    Would you rather have Ward in there or a guy off the street?

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    They need to sign Cotchery if they don't re-sign Ward
    Yes Please.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I'd be pissed if they kept Hampton and Farrior and let Ward go. If Ward goes, the other old guys should follow, if not precede him. I like the "Youth movement," but would love Ward to stick around one more season...
    I like Hines as much as the next guy but it's not the same situation. Hampton and Farrior are both still starters and Hines is no better than a 4th WR. Are you going to start Foote at ILB? Sylvester? I don't know if Foote is any better than Farrior and Sylvester is still unproven. Are you going to start McClendon at NT? He's not even really a NT. Move Ziggy there? I wouldn't like that.

We'll be drafting replacements for both this year but those guys probably won't be starting this year.