Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Reportedly Won’t Bring Back WR Hines Ward

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: Steelers Reportedly Won’t Bring Back WR Hines Ward

Which is more sad? Seeing Hines released, or seeing him as the #5 wR and inactive on game day.

Move along Hines. Congrats on the 2 super bowls, 1000 catches and $millions in the bank. Best wishes.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

I'm still hoping they can work out a deal with Ward. I know Ward doesn't want to leave football yet, he wants to retire a Steeler, the fans like Ward, the Pittsburgh community like Ward, the F.O. likes Ward, he can still play ball and teach the younger receiver's, and the plus is he's willing to work out a deal on his current contract.....so with all of these pluses, why would they turn him loose ? Let him hang around for another year and see what happens. There may always be an injury somewhere where Hines can step in....and you know there is always a spot somewhere on Special Teams where he could fit in.....just my opnion.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    As he was flying over the edge, he looked back at me.
    On his face was an expression speaking of incredible betrayal.
    How could you do this to me?
    Then it wore off and he was just excited to be falling, and I was excited for him too.
    Pure gold! I'm stealing it
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

It's time.
    Fire Goodell

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I'd rather have Ward at $300K than a guy off the street for the minimum of 465,000 or 590,000. If Ward accepts a pay cut, it would only cost the Steelers $300K more than if they outright released him. Plus there would be dead money on the books for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I'd rather have Ward at $300K than a guy off the street for the minimum of 465,000 or 590,000. If Ward accepts a pay cut, it would only cost the Steelers $300K more than if they outright released him. Plus there would be dead money on the books for two years.
    He would add value just as a mentor to the young receivers for one more year. Being that there is going to be a new offense and all. Ward will probably "get it" sooner than the young players.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    He would add value just as a mentor to the young receivers for one more year. Being that there is going to be a new offense and all. Ward will probably "get it" sooner than the young players.
    Nfl vet minimum is just under $1 million for Hines. You want to pay him that to mentor 2 WR that had 1000 yard seasons and went to the pro bowl?

Tell him to retire, pay him as a coach and save the roster spot for someone with upside. I can't stand to watch him catch token bubble screens any more.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Nfl vet minimum is just under $1 million for Hines. You want to pay him that to mentor 2 WR that had 1000 yard seasons and went to the pro bowl?

Tell him to retire, pay him as a coach and save the roster spot for someone with upside. I can't stand to watch him catch token bubble screens any more.
    Fair enough. It doesn't look like this situation is going to make it to training camp. I thought from the previous post that they could pay him $300,000. If the decision has to be made now, then, Ward should retire. His only chance to make the team is if someone gets injured. If Cotchery resigns, Ward would be #5 at best.

Even Wes Lyons, if he is still out there would be useful as a 6' 8" target in the red zone.

Steeler Nation Array title="O'Malley will become famous soon enough"> O'Malley's Avatar

Fair enough. It doesn't look like this situation is going to make it to training camp. I thought from the previous post that they could pay him $300,000. If the decision has to be made now, then, Ward should retire. His only chance to make the team is if someone gets injured. If Cotchery resigns, Ward would be #5 at best.

Even Wes Lyons, if he is still out there would be useful as a 6' 8" target in the red zone.

Especially since the tallest receiver on the roster is 6'3" and I've never heard of him.

Senior Member Array title="XxKnightxX has a spectacular aura about"> XxKnightxX's Avatar

You know what this means.....

Its the Comeback of the Sweed taking over the World tour!!!

Quote Originally Posted by O'Malley View Post
    Especially since the tallest receiver on the roster is 6'3" and I've never heard of him.
    Wes Lyons was on our team in preseason.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

If Ward was released he'd count about $1.2M against the cap. If he's kept, $1.5M. So basically you are paying $300K to keep him or you are paying a 1 or 2 year vet $400-$600 on top of the $1.2M.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Malley View Post
    [/U]

I think we all know that the "tall red zone target" is about as useful as finding the next "Bus." Not necessary to win a championship...far from necessary...lol.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Which is more sad? Seeing Hines released, or seeing him as the #5 wR and inactive on game day.

Move along Hines. Congrats on the 2 super bowls, 1000 catches and $millions in the bank. Best wishes.
    That's how I see it.....go out in grace Hines

If Ward was released he'd count about $1.2M against the cap. If he's kept, $1.5M. So basically you are paying $300K to keep him or you are paying a 1 or 2 year vet $400-$600 on top of the $1.2M.
    Ah. Thanks for clearing that up.

And that, put succinctly, is why he should at least be invited to camp. If he retires, (I could be wrong, I haven't check it out in a while) the cap hit is very different. So let him come to camp and see if he can win a position. I have no problem with him being a 5th receiver and basically a player-coach. Heck, that's what Batch has basically been for the last what, 7 years?

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

I don't think it has to do with money, I just feel he wants to move on from a team that would have him behind Cotchery and possible a #5 or 6 reciever on the depth chart. Maybe it's just time, but I feel a decision soon is better than later. If Ward goes we need to sign and hold on to Cotchery as long as possible. Guess we just have to wait and see.
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

Senior Member Array title="GodfatherofSoul is a jewel in the rough"> GodfatherofSoul's Avatar

$300K difference...plus a roster slot.

Quote Originally Posted by GodfatherofSoul View Post
    $300K difference...plus a roster slot.
    Charlie Batch, Injured Aaron Smith, Antwan Randle El...the list goes on. They've kept lesser dead weight on the roster in the past...it wouldn't be a surprise if he stayed.

STEELER NATION RULES ! Array title="katmandu has much to be proud of"> katmandu's Avatar

Charlie Batch, Injured Aaron Smith, Antwan Randle El...the list goes on. They've kept lesser dead weight on the roster in the past...it wouldn't be a surprise if he stayed.
    He's worth his weight in gold in the locker room and mentor/coach to the young bucks.
    "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." -- Mark Twain

Support Steelers Universe with a Donation via PayPal !

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru....php?do=donate

Engorged Member Array title="tihmtahm will become famous soon enough"> tihmtahm's Avatar

I hope he signs for $1 million like Bettis did.
    No matter where you go, there you are.

Junior Member Array title="Tugger is an unknown quantity at this point">

I saw a lot of plays where Hines was open. Ben just refused to take the 5 yard gain, instead he wanted the deep ball to Wallace and ended up getting sacked. Think about it, Hines is old so he's not running far or over the middle, but he's there. If Hines got the ball more, it would cause the safeties to honor him along with the TE and free up the wideouts.

Senior Member Array title="Austin87 is an unknown quantity at this point"> Austin87's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    And that, put succinctly, is why he should at least be invited to camp. If he retires, (I could be wrong, I haven't check it out in a while) the cap hit is very different. So let him come to camp and see if he can win a position. I have no problem with him being a 5th receiver and basically a player-coach. Heck, that's what Batch has basically been for the last what, 7 years?
    Good post.

Where is it that Ward only counts $1.5 million against the cap this year? He is due a base salary of $4 million, plus whatever part of his prorated signing bonus. I thought that if he is released before March, that the Steelers would save that $4million and have to still pay the prorated portion of his bonus.

I was under the impression that releasing him saves a lot of $ and space.

Black & Gold Metal Array title="SteelGhost is on a distinguished road"> SteelGhost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tugger View Post
    I saw a lot of plays where Hines was open. Ben just refused to take the 5 yard gain, instead he wanted the deep ball to Wallace and ended up getting sacked. Think about it, Hines is old so he's not running far or over the middle, but he's there. If Hines got the ball more, it would cause the safeties to honor him along with the TE and free up the wideouts.
    I've seen that too, if Hines stays, MAYBE Haley can tell Ben to use him more to pick those 5 yds

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Wow! Now an "anti-Ben-to-Ward-in-favor-of-the-Arians-favored(I'm guessing)-long-ball-conspiracy"!

Sweet! I can't wait to see what's next!
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="The WH will become famous soon enough"> The WH's Avatar

Why can't some of you just accept that he's not as good as he once was?

Member Array title="whodat1 is an unknown quantity at this point"> whodat1's Avatar

I could see keeping him with the Steelers as a WR coach.

Steeler Nation Array title="O'Malley will become famous soon enough"> O'Malley's Avatar

Wes Lyons was on our team in preseason.
    Personally I liked the kid.. But not really a spot for him I guess... Would be nice to pick up a tall receiver though.. Huge advantage to have in the Red Zone..

Black & Gold Metal Array title="SteelGhost is on a distinguished road"> SteelGhost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The WH View Post
    Why can't some of you just accept that he's not as good as he once was?
    I do, IMHO it's time for him to retire before he gets a bad injury.