Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did Mike Tomlin want to hire Todd Haley?

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Did Mike Tomlin want to hire Todd Haley?

Ron Cook of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette raises this question in a column for Thursday’s paper. PFT’s Mike Florio also heard chatter at the Super Bowl that Tomlin didn’t want to hire Haley.

The Steelers won’t ever confirm this. Tomlin will attend Haley’s press conference Thursday, but the head coach won’t speak. By the time Tomlin does speak, he’ll know just what to say to turn Haley’s hire into a non-story.

Cook notes that Tomlin’s contract runs out after the 2012 season with an option for 2013, and wonders if Tomlin might want to move on to another job because of meddlesome owners. Tomlin looks weak in all this; head coaches are supposed to have control of their staff. (Especially Super Bowl-winning head coaches.)

read more

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...re-todd-haley/

facepalm

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Re: Did Mike Tomlin want to hire Todd Haley?

AAARGH......Why does everything have to be a controversy with the media????!?!?!?!
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by msafford View Post
    AAARGH......Why does everything have to be a controversy with the media????!?!?!?!
    They have to write something to justify their jobs...

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

cook is a moron

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Kook

Tomlin looks weak in all this; head coaches are supposed to have control of their staff. (Especially Super Bowl-winning head coaches.)

Hey Kook,

Your offense is loaded with talent yet sucks.

As an owner do you fire the super bowl winning head coach or not offer a new contract to the Offensive Coordinator.

Now please get your head out of your nether region and write something constructive.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

I guess I could look at it as a compliment towards the Steelers. With their stability, any major coaching change is newsworthy. Ron Cook and Florio are still Bufoons, though.

Senior Member Array title="Austin87 is an unknown quantity at this point"> Austin87's Avatar

Really silly article, wasted time reading that crap.

Senior Member Array title="BlastFurnace will become famous soon enough"> BlastFurnace's Avatar

We will know more after 2012 when Tomlin's contract is up. Let's hope for the best this year.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Isn't this like the third thread on the front page essentially beating the same dead horse?
    Fire Goodell

Black and Gold Lantern Array title="The Duke is just really nice"> The Duke's Avatar

Did Mike Tomlin want to hire Todd Haley?
    No, he didn't. In fact I heard he hates him

is that enough to create a rumor??
    "We're a team. There's no offense. There's no defense. There's no special teams. We're one. We're a band of brothers." – Ben Roethlisberger

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
    We will know more after 2012 when Tomlin's contract is up. Let's hope for the best this year.
    Good point. Wonder if they give him another extension this summer.

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

Move on because of meddlesome ownership? I wouldn't quite call Art Rooney not renewing the contract of Bruce Arians meddling.

Is a head coach supposed to have control over his coaching staff? Yes, for the most part. But in the end, ALL decisions run through the owner. Rooney felt that the offense should have been better, and Arians was not under contract and he chose not to renew it. That's something that the owner is allowed to do. He is the one paying the salaries of the coaches, so if he wants one gone, he has the power to do so.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Tomlin's contract renewed this offseason.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Senior Member Array title="BlastFurnace will become famous soon enough"> BlastFurnace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Good point. Wonder if they give him another extension this summer.
    IMO, Tomlin is a top 5 coach. I sure hope they do.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Ron Cook stirring **** up because his idol Arians is gone.

Tomlin looks weak? Well that's the risk we're going to have to take. Ben is a franchise QB with a ton of money poured into him. A bonafide franchise QB is VERY hard to find. He's the Rooney's investment, and like any owner, they want their investment as thriving as long as possible. We can no longer afford getting Ben beaten up every single year in a mostly underachieving offense when the Defense (The Driving force to the team's success) is getting older and less effective. It's been five seasons now with little to no improvement. Something needs to change. If Tomlin and Ben were not going to recognize the problem and fix it, then the Rooneys will do it for them. Simple.

Tomlin and Ben lost some of their luster near the end of the season with handling of Ben's Ankle Injury (That Ben caused himself with his cowboy play BTW), and getting Tebowed in the first round. That's why Arians is Gone and Ben being told to tweak (not change) his game. The Rooneys oversee the team 24/7. They watch all the games. They know what's going on. Ben (and the Steelers) were not going to survive long the way things have been going. If Tomlin looks "weak" then he has no one to blame but himself for not stepping in and taking charge.

After the Super Bowl loss, the Rooneys remained hands-off. There was no reason to intervene. But 2011 despite the 12-4 finish brought really troubling signs that would get worse if they didn't act soon.
    Last edited by Edman; 02-09-2012 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigNastyDefense View Post
    Move on because of meddlesome ownership? I wouldn't quite call Art Rooney not renewing the contract of Bruce Arians meddling.

Is a head coach supposed to have control over his coaching staff? Yes, for the most part. But in the end, ALL decisions run through the owner. Rooney felt that the offense should have been better, and Arians was not under contract and he chose not to renew it. That's something that the owner is allowed to do. He is the one paying the salaries of the coaches, so if he wants one gone, he has the power to do so.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Tomlin's contract renewed this offseason.
    You stop with your common sense posts.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Fire All of these slackers. Rooneys, Tomlin, Haley, LeBeau, Lake, Butler, Khan, Colbert, etc.....they are all worthless. Bring in Jerry Jones and his son to take over. Just throw money wherever and whenever you want. I'm tired of these pitiful winning seasons and consistency.

Ron Cook should be a pulitzer prize winner for his consistent writing.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

I don't agree with Cook's idea that Tomlin could be gone (though note that he isn't saying the Rooneys would get rid of him rather Tomlin would decide to leave on his own) but other than that, he's right. Tomlin looks weak because of the move and the Rooney's overstepped their bounds by appearing to going behind Tomlin's back to get rid of Arians. It was a Jerry Jones' move.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    I don't agree with Cook's idea that Tomlin could be gone (though note that he isn't saying the Rooneys would get rid of him rather Tomlin would decide to leave on his own) but other than that, he's right. Tomlin looks weak because of the move and the Rooney's overstepped their bounds by appearing to going behind Tomlin's back to get rid of Arians. It was a Jerry Jones' move.
    But nobody wants to hear anything negative right now. Bing-bong, Arians is gone, and everything will be perfect and great now.
    Fire Goodell

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

How does it make him look weak? Rooney decided not to renew his contract. How do we know Colbert wasn't behind the entire thing?
    Hater = Realist

Steeler Nation Array title="O'Malley will become famous soon enough"> O'Malley's Avatar

Meddlesome owners? I wonder what Jerry Jones is..... Rooney steps in one time and now he's meddlesome... Wow either report something with facts, or don't report anyting at all.. Maybe the press should take the offseason off..

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    How does it make him look weak? Rooney decided not to renew his contract. How do we know Colbert wasn't behind the entire thing?
    Going off the reports, I've said all along that is an assumption we're making, it was Rooney who made the move. There has been no mention of Colbert. Regardless, it was clear Tomlin did not make the cal when it should have been up to him.

Steeler Nation Array title="O'Malley will become famous soon enough"> O'Malley's Avatar

Haley was a ball boy in the 70s... He knows what it means to be a part of this organization(his dad was a part of it for years).. I like this hire more every day.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Going off the reports, I've said all along that is an assumption we're making, it was Rooney who made the move. There has been no mention of Colbert. Regardless, it was clear Tomlin did not make the cal when it should have been up to him.
    Fortunately Rooney stepped in.
    Hater = Realist

If I agree does that make me a hater?.. If so then I guess I'm a hater...

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by O'Malley View Post
    Meddlesome owners? I wonder what Jerry Jones is..... Rooney steps in one time and now he's meddlesome... Wow either report something with facts, or don't report anyting at all.. Maybe the press should take the offseason off..
    Ron Kook has never heard of this "facts" thing you speak of.

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

WTH.. does there have to be some Jersey Shore type drama for everything now? The media is turning itself into more of a joke then it already is.
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    Ron Kook has never heard of this "facts" thing you speak of.
    Oh yeah, my bad.

We can debate the merits of getting rid of Arians but that's not my point. It wasn't their call to make.

-- Throughout the 16 minutes that followed him glowingly introducing former Kansas City Chiefs coach Todd Haley as his new offensive coordinator, Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin stood proudly in the corner of the second-floor media room at the team's facility. During the press conference officially announcing Haley as the replacement for former offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, Tomlin even offered approving nods and smiles at the appropriate times.
    Wyche: A fond farewell to 2011
    With another season in the books, Steve Wyche reviews 11 things from the 2011 campaign that we may never witness again. More ...

"As an offensive coordinator, he brings a wealth of knowledge and experience," Tomlin said. "But he also brings intangibles I really value."
    Amid reports that Steelers president Art Rooney II orchestrated the departure of Arians and pushed for Haley to be his replacement above Tomlin's wishes, Tomlin made it a point to mention he was the one conducting the interviews for Arians' replacement.
    "When I started this process of exploring potential coordinators, I talked to a lot of people and did a lot of research, and I was really impressed by him," Tomlin said. "Not only by his resume and his experience, but also his genuine love for the Pittsburgh Steelers."
    A 15-year NFL coaching veteran, Haley stressed his ties to the Steelers organization and his reverence for its tradition. The son of former Steelers director of player personnel Dick Haley reminisced about growing up a team ball boy.
    "All of my early memories in life somehow," Haley said, "revolved around the Steelers.
    "I'm just very grateful coach Tomlin and the Rooney family thought enough of me to have me in here to help be part of continued greatness."
    Haley, 44, was fired in December after going 19-26 in two-plus seasons in Kansas City, leading the Chiefs to the 2010 AFC West title. As offensive coordinator of the Arizona Cardinals the previous two seasons, Haley's offense was second in the NFL in passing

Latin Steel Array title="SMR has a spectacular aura about"> SMR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by O'Malley View Post
    EXCELLENT POST!!

Kudos.
    WE are the NFL's All-Time Dynasty!