Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: How Big Ben, not Eli, could have been the Giants’ QB

  1. #1
    Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    22,834

    How Big Ben, not Eli, could have been the Giants’ QB

    INDIANAPOLIS — Seated at the most crowded podium during Tuesday’s Media Day, Giants QB Eli Manning fielded questions about older brother Peyton‘s healthand playing in his second Super Bowl. But what if Manning never was traded to the Giants on the day the Chargers drafted him No. 1 overall in 2004?

    The man behind that podium actually might have been Ben Roethlisberger.

    On Tuesday, Giants owner John Mara recalled the crazy April day eight years ago when New York and San Diego eventually reached a deal that sent Manning to Big Blue, which agreed to draft Philip Rivers at No. 4 and trade him in a package that included two other unused draft picks.

    But had the deal never been done, Mara said, the Giants instead would have selected Roethlisberger.

    “(Chargers general manager) A.J. (Smith) played it pretty cool,” Mara said. “There was no communication the night before until I think we were on the clock. It really did go down to the wire. Our backup plan was Ben Roethlisberger, so we felt like we were in good shape. But we had our hearts set on Eli at the time.”

    If the Giants win, Manning and Roethlisberger will be tied for second among active quarterbacks with two Super Bowls each. Only Tom Brady, with three, would have more.


    http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/01/31/how-...content_stream

  2. #2
    Latin Steel Array title="SMR has a spectacular aura about"> SMR's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Gender
    Posts
    3,767

    Re: How Big Ben, not Eli, could have been the Giants’ QB

    Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    INDIANAPOLIS — Seated at the most crowded podium during Tuesday’s Media Day, Giants QB Eli Manning fielded questions about older brother Peyton‘s healthand playing in his second Super Bowl. But what if Manning never was traded to the Giants on the day the Chargers drafted him No. 1 overall in 2004?

    The man behind that podium actually might have been Ben Roethlisberger.

    On Tuesday, Giants owner John Mara recalled the crazy April day eight years ago when New York and San Diego eventually reached a deal that sent Manning to Big Blue, which agreed to draft Philip Rivers at No. 4 and trade him in a package that included two other unused draft picks.

    But had the deal never been done, Mara said, the Giants instead would have selected Roethlisberger.

    “(Chargers general manager) A.J. (Smith) played it pretty cool,” Mara said. “There was no communication the night before until I think we were on the clock. It really did go down to the wire. Our backup plan was Ben Roethlisberger, so we felt like we were in good shape. But we had our hearts set on Eli at the time.”

    If the Giants win, Manning and Roethlisberger will be tied for second among active quarterbacks with two Super Bowls each. Only Tom Brady, with three, would have more.


    http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/01/31/how-...content_stream
    Brady and Patriots' three so-called SB wins were made artificial by the asterisks.

    Period.

    So Ben and Eli are ahead right now.
    WE are the NFL's All-Time Dynasty!


  3. #3
    Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    22,834

    Re: How Big Ben, not Eli, could have been the Giants’ QB

    Quote Originally Posted by SMR View Post
    Brady and Patriots' three so-called SB wins were made artificial by the asterisks.

    Period.

    So Ben and Eli are ahead right now.

    since 2007 for Brady

    2007:50 td 8 int
    2009:28 td 13 int
    2010:36 td 4 int
    2011:39 td 12 int

    W-L:53-11!

    Brady is an amazing QB and the Patriots are an amazing team and we must admit even if they hate.

    The Patriots record is incredible since the Spygate(64-16 and 2 super bowl apparence)

  4. #4
    Latin Steel Array title="SMR has a spectacular aura about"> SMR's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Gender
    Posts
    3,767

    Re: How Big Ben, not Eli, could have been the Giants’ QB

    Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    since 2007 for Brady

    2007:50 td 8 int
    2009:28 td 13 int
    2010:36 td 4 int
    2011:39 td 12 int

    W-L:53-11!

    Brady is an amazing QB and the Patriots are an amazing team and we must admit even if they hate.

    The Patriots record is incredible since the Spygate(64-16 and 2 super bowl apparence)
    I was talking about Marsha and the Patsies SB "wins" only, not his stats since the last SB appearance.
    WE are the NFL's All-Time Dynasty!


  5. #5
    Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Clowns Town, Ohio
    Gender
    Posts
    2,653

    Re: How Big Ben, not Eli, could have been the Giants’ QB

    I am glad we are the ones with Ben Roethlisberger and not the Giants. If it would have gone down that way, I am not completely sure that the Steelers would have taken Phillip Rivers....maybe they would have taken that offensive lineman that Cowher wanted the Steelers to take instead.

    RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

  6. #6
    Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Gender
    Posts
    10,651

    Re: How Big Ben, not Eli, could have been the Giants’ QB

    I'm proud that Ben is our franchise QB. I would take him and his 2 SB wins over Brady or Eli any day even if one does have more wins and rings then us. Feels great to be a Steeler fan.
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011


    "When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

    - Greg Lloyd


  7. #7
    Senior Member Array title="siss is a jewel in the rough"> siss's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    978

    Re: How Big Ben, not Eli, could have been the Giants’ QB

    If the Football Gods had intended for Big Ben to not be our franchise QB, than they would not have made him out of Steel.

    So it worked out good for everyone!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •