Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Running Back Isaac Redman Looking Forward To Chance To Become Number One Running Back

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Re: Running Back Isaac Redman Looking Forward To Chance To Become Number One Running

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Nice try at deflecting and putting words in my mouth....as ususal.

I posted a link to a story where sources told Chris Mortensen the following. The sources said the move was made in order to shift the offense back toward its blue-collar identity of years past, in line with the desires of Steelers president Art Rooney II.

That is a pretty vague statement. "Blue collar identity" could just mean he wants to see some more physicality in running the football, between the tackles... rather than end arounds to WR's and stretch plays to the edge vs the undersized Colts defense.

I dont think its gonna be a 70's type offensive mix, but maybe we should cue up the "sky is falling" cat picture just for emphasis.
    Deflecting? You should definitely go back and re-read some of your editorializing in that thread. "Blue collar" means run first. I don't know how anyone could read that as anything differently. Cowher-ball is run well, punt and play defense. It hearkens back to the old Woody Hayes mentality of "there are three things that can happen on a pass play and two of them are bad".

This idea that Arians was too pass-happy and abandoned the run is yet another red herring. He also utilized a FB plenty. If they didn't have a true FB on the roster, that goes back to the FO and Tomlin, not Arians. And I'm sure Chidi has stats on what percentage of plays we utilized a FB.
    Fire Goodell

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Re: Running Back Isaac Redman Looking Forward To Chance To Become Number One Running

And where does this garbage about being "one-dimensional" come from? We passed 539 times, but we ran 434. That's like a pass/run ratio of 55/45. We also tied for 7th in the league with a 4.4 average.

You're off the reservation here. Again.
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    . He also utilized a FB plenty. If they didn't have a true FB on the roster, that goes back to the FO and Tomlin, not Arians. And I'm sure Chidi has stats on what percentage of plays we utilized a FB.
    "There's not a fullback on the roster," Bruce Arians declared three days before the Steelers opened the 2009 season. "There's a running back who plays fullback, a tight end who plays fullback. I don't have a fullback. There's no fullback in my offense, there's never going to be one

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10122...#ixzz1kgZN2bmq

"There's not a fullback on the roster," Bruce Arians declared three days before the Steelers opened the 2009 season. "There's a running back who plays fullback, a tight end who plays fullback. I don't have a fullback. There's no fullback in my offense, there's never going to be one

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10122...#ixzz1kgZN2bmq
    So when Johnson lined up at Fullback, was it............................................an optical illusion?

I'm breathless with anticipation as to how you spin THIS one.
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

So when Johnson lined up at Fullback, was it............................................an optical illusion?

I'm breathless with anticipation as to how you spin THIS one.
    No spin. Its all there in black and white quote from Bruce Arians himself.

"There's no fullback in my offense, there's never going to be one."

Living Legend Array title="Dino 6 Rings has a spectacular aura about"> Dino 6 Rings's Avatar

Suddenness and Glide
    SuperBowl Wins - How many does YOUR team have? Steelers 6, 49ers 5, Cowboys 5, Packers 4, Giants 4, Pats 4, Redskins 3, Raiders 3, Broncos 2, Dolphins 2, Colts 2, Ravens 2, Bears 1, Jets 1, Bucs 1, Rams 1, Chiefs 1, Saints 1, Hawks 1

I see that you conveniently are taking the Ostrich approach on this one. Since the stats don't come anywhere close to supporting your ridiculous assertions (one-dimensional garbage), and you have no answer to the "We run a fullback on 40% of our plays even though the OC once said we don't have a FB" question, you obviously and conveniently take the exact same approach you (wrongly) accused me of taking. Again, you are way off the reservation here. You DO know that there is this thing called "admitting when you're wrong". I know you aren't familiar with it, and, God knows with the huge high school offensive line coaching IQ you possess, why would you? But, Jesus, dude. Between the flat-out falsehoods, ridiculous and obvious hypocrisy, and this new element of adhering to strange and wild conspiracy theories, it's really time someone reeled you back in if you can't or won't do it yourself.

I really just don't know....
    Fire Goodell

Member Array title="IUSteel is an unknown quantity at this point">

I think it's absurd to think that we run the ball with the effectiveness of the 49ers, Ravens, Rams, Texans, Broncos, even Giants, etc etc. Cite the percentage of run v. pass plays, but it's a little different than when we had 36 converting 100% of 3rd and 3s. I think that's what blue collar meant. An I-Formation with 7, 35, then 36, and a first down. It's silly to say we're going to run-run-pass-punt. Maybe we just don't want to go to run for 1 yard, pass for a bubble screen for 4 yards, and have Ben run like a mad man and Brown convert on a broken play.

I thought Arians did a good job, but you can't honestly look back and say we have the most consistent offense, especially this past year. The numbers can support it, but if you didn't hold your breath every third down, I don't think you're being completely honest with yourself. I'm more excited to see what a new OC can do than sad to see Arians go.

Steeler Nation Array title="O'Malley will become famous soon enough"> O'Malley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IUSteel View Post
    I think it's absurd to think that we run the ball with the effectiveness of the 49ers, Ravens, Rams, Texans, Broncos, even Giants, etc etc. Cite the percentage of run v. pass plays, but it's a little different than when we had 36 converting 100% of 3rd and 3s. I think that's what blue collar meant. An I-Formation with 7, 35, then 36, and a first down. It's silly to say we're going to run-run-pass-punt. Maybe we just don't want to go to run for 1 yard, pass for a bubble screen for 4 yards, and have Ben run like a mad man and Brown convert on a broken play.

I thought Arians did a good job, but you can't honestly look back and say we have the most consistent offense, especially this past year. The numbers can support it, but if you didn't hold your breath every third down, I don't think you're being completely honest with yourself. I'm more excited to see what a new OC can do than sad to see Arians go.
    Agree 100%.. I too am more excited to see what the new OC brings to the table then I am sad to see Bruce go..

-Blocking FB Dan Kreider let go and replaced with undersized FB Carey Davis. True
    -Bruce Arians states he never had and never will have a FB in his offense. True.
    -Heath Miller, Matt Spaeth, David Johnson, Sean McHugh all line up in backfield as H- back. True.
    -The sky is blue. I will say true, but others may refute that.
    - Bruce Arians is no longer the Steelers OC. Again, I say true, but others are still not willing to accept it.

Issac Redman will have a true blocking FB in front of him next year........nobody knows for sure. I just hope he is successful.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

I see that you conveniently are taking the Ostrich approach on this one. Since the stats don't come anywhere close to supporting your ridiculous assertions (one-dimensional garbage), and you have no answer to the "We run a fullback on 40% of our plays even though the OC once said we don't have a FB" question, you obviously and conveniently take the exact same approach you (wrongly) accused me of taking. Again, you are way off the reservation here. You DO know that there is this thing called "admitting when you're wrong". I know you aren't familiar with it, and, God knows with the huge high school offensive line coaching IQ you possess, why would you? But, Jesus, dude. Between the flat-out falsehoods, ridiculous and obvious hypocrisy, and this new element of adhering to strange and wild conspiracy theories, it's really time someone reeled you back in if you can't or won't do it yourself.

I really just don't know....
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    I know, thats some good stuff there huh?

From Chidi's post-game at Denver:

Documentation

FB:15
    Pony: 0
    Empty: 15

FB optical illusion? Maybe Elvis and the space aliens he lives with possessed Arians and made him employ Johnson as a FB?

I'm not sure, but having a FB playing FB in games and being in there about 50% of the time sure SEEMS to me like calling grass green and the sky blue....
    Fire Goodell

If you want to call David Johnson a FB because he lines up in the backfield, then fine. Even though Arians said he does not have a FB in his offense and never will. Even if Johnson is listed as a TE on the Steelers roster. Even if most educated football fans, including yourself know there is a difference between a FB and H-back.

Everybody on the board knows the difference between having Vontae Leach, Leonard Weaver, LeRon McLain, Ovie Mughlie or Jon Kuhn as a lead blocker vs a converted TE-H back.

You are just trying to argue 6 ways to sunday, because you stated that if the Steelers didnt have a FB ...it was on the front office and not Arians.....when Arians said pretty clearly that he doesnt have a FB in his offense. And you think I cant say that I am wrong.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Redman's style of running is better than Mendenhall's. Redman runs straight forward with reckless abandon. Mendenhall did too much dancing around last year

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

If anybody would guess 2 years ago which Steeler would go on Dancing with the Stars and win, most would pick Mendy.
    All Defense!

So, wait....if, say, Trai Essex is forced into action as a Center, and he's not listed oin the rosetr as a Center, what does that mean? He's a..............um.............................."sn apping guard"?

Rubbish.
    Fire Goodell

So, wait....if, say, Trai Essex is forced into action as a Center, and he's not listed oin the rosetr as a Center, what does that mean? He's a..............um.............................."sn apping guard"?

Rubbish.
    Yes, Patriots Julian Edelman played in some defensive coverages last weekend, so he must be a CB and not a WR. Again great deflection off the topic to avoid the Arians uses a FB subject.

I will let you have your precious verbal victory and say that yes, Bruce Arians uses a FB in his offense. he uses it often, he used one everywhere he coached. He probably wanted to keep Dan Kreider at FB, but Art Rooney probably wanted Carey Davis instead.

Yes, Patriots Julian Edelman played in some defensive coverages last weekend, so he must be a CB and not a WR. Again great deflection off the topic to avoid the Arians uses a FB subject.

I will let you have your precious verbal victory and say that yes, Bruce Arians uses a FB in his offense. he uses it often, he used one everywhere he coached. He probably wanted to keep Dan Kreider at FB, but Art Rooney probably wanted Carey Davis instead.
    No, no, no, we all know you've (cough cough) never lost a football argument in your life. You are, after all, a high school offensive line coach! That's widely considered to be the apotheosis of football knowledge...
    Fire Goodell

No, no, no, we all know you've (cough cough) never lost a football argument in your life. You are, after all, a high school offensive line coach! That's widely considered to be the apotheosis of football knowledge...

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

OK, I'm going to have to play referee here and break this up. Let's try NOT to make this personal, K?

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    OK, I'm going to have to play referee here and break this up. Let's try NOT to make this personal, K?
    XT, it got personal some 15 posts ago, but......... sticks and stones. David Johnson is a FB, regardless of what Arians said about not having a FB in his offense. Here's hoping that Redman gets a chance to close out some games next season in the 4th quarter.

Black & Gold Metal Array title="SteelGhost is on a distinguished road"> SteelGhost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
    It's very intruiging...

Somewhere, the poster on the old site who created the "suddenness and glide" thread is smiling.

Still like Mendenhall and hope he can contribute next season.
    His screen name was Lakelander FWIW

XT, it got personal some 15 posts ago, but......... sticks and stones. David Johnson is a FB, regardless of what Arians said about not having a FB in his offense. Here's hoping that Redman gets a chance to close out some games next season in the 4th quarter.
    When 280 lb dude lines up behind the QB and provides the service of being a lead blocker for the running back, I, and everyone else who isn't trying to win a ridiculous argument that they got themselves painted into a corner on, would define that player as a fullback. The dictionary:

full·back (flbk)
    n. Abbr. FB
    1. Football
    a. An offensive backfield player whose position is behind the quarterback and halfbacks and who primarily performs offensive blocking and line plunges.
    b. The position of this player.

I would even go as far as saying that he played H-back, which as a hybrid FB/TE, but that still means he's utilized as a fullback. Point being, Arians provided a blocking back for our Rb's about half the time. Simply designating a full-time FB and pulling the guy out on passing downs really isn't the panacea the Arians haters would have it seem like. More like a placebo...
    Fire Goodell

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

This discussion has gone around the block about 4 times, there is not much more to say about it. It may be best that both sides just back away from the argument.

AML

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

This is a hilariously pointless argument. This is almost as ridiculous as a chicken or the egg argument...
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    This is a hilariously pointless argument. This is almost as ridiculous as a chicken or the egg argument...
    Only if the egg was called something else (even though it actually functioned exactly like an egg, looked like an egg, smelled like and egg, and was, for all intents and purposes, an egg).
    Fire Goodell

A million years ago I had a summer job at Sea World. They often flew in other whales to mate with their females so the gene pool wasn't too shallow. We were told that we were not allowed to acknowledge the extra whale. That's right, if asked, we were to deny that there was a 22 foot, 22,000 lb whale right in front of us.

Not calling Johnson a FB is kinda like that...
    Fire Goodell