Thread: Marshall Faulk: Passing for 5K yards 'is nothing'

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Marshall Faulk: Passing for 5K yards 'is nothing'

In 2011, Matthew Stafford threw for 5,038 passing yards. If you're new to the NFL, that's a large, large number. In fact, it's only happened five times in NFL history, so it's a rather impressive feat. Unless you're Marshall Faulk anyway.

The NFL Network analyst and Hall of Fame running back, speaking specifically of Stafford, told MLive.com recently that passing for 5,000 yards "is nothing" in today's NFL.

"Throwing for 5,000 yards in the NFL right now is nothing," Faulk said. "I don't want to take anything away from it. As much as people throw the football now, you better have 5,000 [yards] if you have Calvin Johnson."

read more

http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbsspor...75988/34863896

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Marshall Faulk: Passing for 5K yards 'is nothing'

NFL Network analyst Marshall Faulk not impressed by Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford's 5,000-yard season

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...arshall_f.html

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

It's easier then it used to be but it's not easy, and it's certainly NOT "nothing".

You know, just because people play or played the game, it doesn't necessarily follow that they are particularly bright or automatically qualified to be experts on the sport.
    Fire Goodell

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Revisionist history where one elevates their former glory to self-delusion.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    It's easier then it used to be but it's not easy, and it's certainly NOT "nothing".

You know, just because people play or played the game, it doesn't necessarily follow that they are particularly bright or automatically qualified to be experts on the sport.
    Agreed. I've had some teachers/instructors over the years in my performing ensembles who were incredible players/performers themselves, but when it came to actually relaying what they knew to others, they couldn't teach their way out of a wet paper bag.

I also agree that while passing for 5000+ yards today is loads easier than before, it's certainly NOT a given.
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

I would say passing for 4,000 yards is nothing in today's NFL but 5,000 is still an accomplishment.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Senior Member Array title="BnG_Hevn has much to be proud of"> BnG_Hevn's Avatar
    Battleball Champion!

5000 yard passer is to 4000 yards what a 1500 yard rusher is to a 1000 yard rusher.

Then again, if you use the argument that passing for 5K is "easy" because of today's NFL, then that means, by definition, that rushing for 1500 / 2000 yards is still a tremendous feat. Maybe even 1000 yard rusher.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

It's the fifth time a QB has thrown for over 5000 yards...but the Fourth Time it's happened since 2008. Two Other QB's threw for 5,000 yards in 2011. Brady and Brees.

Yes, 5000 yards is nothing. There were TEN 4,000 yard passers in 2011. That's really not impressive.

I'm not impressed with any passing statistics in this era honestly, when the league is doing it's damndest to phase any kind of defense out of the game, any and all passing records get an asterisk placed next to them.

Senior Member Array title="GodfatherofSoul is a jewel in the rough"> GodfatherofSoul's Avatar

5K might become "nothing" if this trend continues. I understand what Faulk was trying to say, he just said it with hyperbole.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    It's the fifth time a QB has thrown for over 5000 yards...but the Fourth Time it's happened since 2008. Two Other QB's threw for 5,000 yards in 2011. Brady and Brees.

Yes, 5000 yards is nothing. There were TEN 4,000 yard passers in 2011. That's really not impressive.

I'm not impressed with any passing statistics in this era honestly, when the league is doing it's damndest to phase any kind of defense out of the game, any and all passing records get an asterisk placed next to them.
    Untill defenses are allowed to play again, I don't put much stock in "any" offensive accomplishments.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    Untill defenses are allowed to play again, I don't put much stock in "any" offensive accomplishments.
    This. Marino's 5,084-yard season in 1984 > THREE different QBs throwing for 5,000+ in 2011. By miles.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

5,000 yards passing today is about the same as throwing for about 4,200 or 4,300 yards in normal football. Still nothing to sneeze at, but basically understand that passing stats are all inflated by about 20% now. Kind of like how in olympic swimming, as soon as they came out with the full-body obviously cheating swimsuits, whaddya know, everyone starts smashing 20-year old world records. Nobody's really happy about that either. I wonder what a guy like, say, Warren Moon would have today. Probably be threatening 6,000 yards.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Steeler Nation Array title="O'Malley will become famous soon enough"> O'Malley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post

This^.. Especially since you have to let the receiver catch the pass turn around and announce he can see you, and your now allowed to hug him to the ground!!!!! The game is beyond repair and 5,000 yards will be the new 3,500 per season.. Next year watch out for the 6,000 yard passer!!!!!