Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roger Goodell's contract extended

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Re: Roger Goodell's contract extended

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    Let me pose a question.

If one owner, Art Rooney, should be trusted with his decision to let Bruce Arians go, because he is an owner and knows the situation better than us, shouldn't the same happen when all 32 owners vote to keep a person?
    You'll have to take that up with Suit. Rooney keeps Arians he's a genius Rooney knows more then us, more experience then us, forces him out he's suddenly untrustworthy, maybe not so smart. 32 owners agree this guy is good for the league, but somehow we are smarter and know more than they do. Go figure. We may not like the product but TV ratings and merchandise sales would indicate that the world as a whole is satisfied with the end product , so he gets a new deal. It is also quite possible that the owners and competition committee are behind driving him to do what he does, just like many claimed a bad line and injuries led to Arians Offensive results and as such it's possible and highly likely that the owners and committees will slowly fade the rules back towards neutral ground between O and D. The league ebbs and flows and has gone through many periods of time where one side of the ball had clear advantages.

IT IS DONE, but I'm sure we'll have to put up with all the belly aching for 6 more years, oh no that is what everyone says about the OC, IDK some folks just can't see or admit to it.
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

Let me pose a question.

If one owner, Art Rooney, should be trusted with his decision to let Bruce Arians go, because he is an owner and knows the situation better than us, shouldn't the same happen when all 32 owners vote to keep a person?
    Um...that one owner has won 6 world championships in the past 35 years and run a remarkably consistent organization and was the sole voter against the new CBA as written. I trust him far more than the ownership of the Browns, Raiders, Cardinals, Seahawks, etc.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

I think firing Arians was a mistake. I think Rooney has made several mistakes lately. If he's in favor of extending Goodell, that, too is a mistake.
    Fire Goodell

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Let me pose a question.

Just because I don't agree w/this, doesn't mean I don't trust the Rooneys. Are they perfect? No. They are still the best owners in sports.

Let me pose a question.

That is terrible logic. It demands that the motive for both moves are identical.

It would be the equivelant of saying ...Since I made a good choice in sending my son to college...I should be given the benefit of a doubt in cheating on my wife.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

My guess is that this is a combination of taking the path of least resistance as well as a reward for getting the whole season played last year.
    Fire Goodell

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    That is terrible logic. It demands that the motive for both moves are identical.

It would be the equivelant of saying ...Since I made a good choice in sending my son to college...I should be given the benefit of a doubt in cheating on my wife.
    And Rooney's motives are to do what is best for his team (get rid of Arians).

Just as his motives are to do what is best for the league (keep Goodell).

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

I wonder if any guy every tried that .... and lived?

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

As far as voting for Goodell, Rooney was completely correct to do so. I am not convinced that Rooney didn't want Goodell back, but even if he properly thinks he is a douchebag being the sole vote against Goodell would only hurt the Steelers in the long run. Even if Art wants Goodell gone, it is not smart to move against him unless you have enough support to pull it off. Have we learned nothing from "The God Father" movies?

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

When is the last time a commissioner of a major sport was actually fired by the owners, by the way? Not in my lifetime. It's really the kind of position where it's implied that you're hired for life, at least until you decide to step down. Unless you REALLY fucked up, but I don't think the owners consider pissing off the fans to qualify. At least not while the revenue numbers stay in the positive direction.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    When is the last time a commissioner of a major sport was actually fired by the owners, by the way? Not in my lifetime. It's really the kind of position where it's implied that you're hired for life, at least until you decide to step down. Unless you REALLY fucked up, but I don't think the owners consider pissing off the fans to qualify. At least not while the revenue numbers stay in the positive direction.
    That's just it. He DID "really fuck up". So did Stern. But cowardice trumps integrity, so douchebags keep their positions even when they shouldn't and all the evidence suggests they shouldn't.
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    That's just it. He DID "really fuck up". So did Stern. But cowardice trumps integrity, so douchebags keep their positions even when they shouldn't and all the evidence suggests they shouldn't.
    Oh, I wholeheartedly agree with you. You know he fucked up, and I know he fucked up, and any self-respecting fan of the game of football knows he fucked up. But let's say I met Jerry Jones on the bus one day and confronted him with that:

Me: "You know, your commissioner is really pissing off the fans."

Jerrah: "Afraid you're wrong. More fans than ever are watching, and they're paying more money to watch. So how could that be?"

Me: "He's ruining the game. People aren't going to put up with this shit."

Jerrah: "On the contrary, it seems MORE people want to watch it. If they were that fed up, they wouldn't watch, would they?"

Yes, I know that's a terrible argument. But considering that more and more owners are come-lately real estate investors and private equity guys, instead of "football guys," it's quite possible that a lot of them ACTUALLY THINK MORE PEOPLE WATCHING INHERENTLY MEANS THAT WHATEVER THEY'RE DOING IS GOOD FOR THE GAME. Does that mean they have any clue? Of course not, it just means they're pandering to the lowest common denominator.

Point is, that may be what we're working against. That the owners (at least most of them) have a completely different standard of "success" than we do, and thanks to the casual lemming fans, a lot of numbers to assure themselves of that opinion. Not a pretty picture.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

It's NASCAR all over again. All the problems that led to the huge drop-off in attendance and viewership were already in place when their attendance and ratings peaked.
    Fire Goodell

Definitely wouldn't be the first time it happened. Easy to ignore your problems when you think you're on top for the long term, and just let things be driven by marketing and hype. That tends to give a lot of momentum to things you'd ordinarily look at and say, "Wow, what a dumb decision!" if you were, say, the sixth-most popular sport in the country instead of the first or second.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

A monkey throwing darts blindly at a dartboard would come up with a more consistent and sensible system of discipline than Goodell. He'd be a lot cheaper, too...
    Fire Goodell

More like a monkey throwing darts blindly at the players, which is essentially what Goodell is doing.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

And Rooney's motives are to do what is best for his team (get rid of Arians).

Just as his motives are to do what is best for the league (keep Goodell).
    No...the owners did not make this move because its better for the league.....this move was made because its more lucrative to the owners.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Administrator Array title="HometownGal has a reputation beyond repute"> HometownGal's Avatar

I'm so happy I could just shit. NOT. How stupid can these owners be??????

CANCER - YOU PICKED THE WRONG BITCH!!!

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
    I asked the same thing, but it comes down to one thing - money. Owners are getting paid, players are getting paid. The worst thing that could have happened for real NFL fans was the CBA getting done before the season started. If it had dragged on, there would have been a lot of calls for the idiot to step down or be fired. Didn't happen, so we're stuck with Der Kommissar for another 6 years. Lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
    Unfortunately, only as stupid as the average fan, if the below is to believed. All this success that the game has had in attracting new fans means just that - it's attracting NEW fans. We probably need to face the fact that most people don't care that the game is being ruined .. or more likely, don't even understand that it's being ruined in the first place.

See you Space Cowboy ...

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

No...the owners did not make this move because its better for the league.....this move was made because its more lucrative to the owners.
    Including Art Rooney? Is he being greedy too?

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Including Art Rooney? Is he being greedy too?
    If the shoe fits. GREEN insoles, I believe.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    ...we're stuck with Der Kommissar for another 6 years. Lovely.
    Don't think I'm going to make it that long, as I've practically tuned completely out now - haven't watched one second of football (well, the watered down pussified garbage that currently passes for it anyway) since Demaryius Thomas crossed the goal line in OT. This will be the first Super Bowl I've missed in over 35 years. Once Ben retires and the Steelers hit another stretch of mediocrity that should just about do it completely for me. If people really want that clown out, they would follow suit en masse.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Don't think I'm going to make it that long, as I've practically tuned completely out now - haven't watched one second of football since Demaryius Thomas crossed the goal line in OT. This will be the first Super Bowl I've missed in over 35 years. Once Ben retires and the Steelers hit another stretch of mediocrity that should just about do it completely for me. If people really want that clown out, they would follow suit en masse.
    I forced myself to watch some of the Pro Bowl yesterday because of Ben and the other Steelers. I could not watch more than 3 downs. What an absolute farce. If that is the way they are going to play the game, leave the equipment at home and break out the flags. Just an absolutely disgusting display of non-football.

Unfortunately, only as stupid as the average fan, if the below is to believed. All this success that the game has had in attracting new fans means just that - it's attracting NEW fans. We probably need to face the fact that most people don't care that the game is being ruined .. or more likely, don't even understand that it's being ruined in the first place.

Very interesting picture. Further proving my point that maybe only Steelers' fans make him out to be this goon and in reality, he isn't that bad. It just can't be seen through fan's biases.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    I forced myself to watch some of the Pro Bowl yesterday because of Ben and the other Steelers. I could not watch more than 3 downs. What an absolute farce. If that is the way they are going to play the game, leave the equipment at home and break out the flags. Just an absolutely disgusting display of non-football.
    I don't know if the Pro Bowl is the best indicator of how they play the game, because these days there is just NO EFFORT from almost anyone. Which is still horrible to watch. I couldn't bear it for more than about 5 minutes because it was just a complete joke.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Black and Gold Lantern Array title="The Duke is just really nice"> The Duke's Avatar

Almost every day I see new fans that play fantasy football yet have never watched an nfl game in their lives

wtf is up with that??
    "We're a team. There's no offense. There's no defense. There's no special teams. We're one. We're a band of brothers." – Ben Roethlisberger

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
    Almost every day I see new fans that play fantasy football yet have never watched an nfl game in their lives

wtf is up with that??
    For some reason, I have zero interest in all this fantasy stuff. I just want to watch my sports and enjoy the games. Unfortunately, football is getting more and more watered down.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    For some reason, I have zero interest in all this fantasy stuff. I just want to watch my sports and enjoy the games. Unfortunately, football is getting more and more watered down.
    I stopped playing FF. Watching other teams got boring and i lost interest.

Very interesting picture. Further proving my point that maybe only Steelers' fans make him out to be this goon and in reality, he isn't that bad. It just can't be seen through fan's biases.
    That or the fact that there really is one team he's continually crapping all over, which would be the Steelers. Seems a lot more plausible than what you seem to be suggesting, which is that two entire states just woke up one day and came to the conclusion that they should have a gripe with him FOR ABSOLUTELY NO FUCKING REASON. And just by random chance, no one else did.
    See you Space Cowboy ...