Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cook claims Arians was forced out by Art Rooney II

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Cook claims Arians was forced out by Art Rooney II

The decision to push out Arians apparently has been made by team president Art Rooney II. The most recent time I talked to Arians about his future, he made it clear he wants to come back. "These young guys have made it so much fun for me," he said of the team's young wide receivers. It's believed coach Mike Tomlin wants Arians back. At his season-ending news conference after a wild-card playoff loss to the Denver Broncos, he said he anticipated his coaching staff remaining intact.

But Tuesday, Rooney told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Ed Bouchette that a few Steelers coaches are considering retirement. Surely, any official announcement about Arians -- perhaps this week or next -- will make it sound as if the retirement decision is his alone. Don't be fooled. That doesn't mean it isn't Rooney who has decided it's time for Arians to go.

Firing Arians now is just as wrong as it would have been after the 2009 season when there was media speculation he was out. The Steelers went 9-7 and missed the playoffs that year, although the offense wasn't nearly as much to blame as the defense, which blew five fourth-quarter leads, and the special teams, which allowed four kickoff returns for touchdowns. Roethlisberger went to management and Tomlin and argued to keep Arians. It's hard to say what impact he had, but Arians stayed. Good thing because the team made it to the Super Bowl in '10. In '08, it won Super Bowl XLIII with Arians calling the plays, including those on the late, 78-yard winning drive.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12020/1204705-87-0.stm

I think this pretty much confirms what many of us thought going back two years ago. That being that someone high up in the Steelers organization wanted Bruce out.

Not that it matters now. But there was way too much smoke for their not to be anything to the story. Guys like Ed Bouchette, Jim Wexall, Gerry Dulac etc... do not just go making things up.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Re: Cook claims Arians was forced out by Art Rooney II

IMO, i think he was told to go, but they let him retire so as not to be embarrassing. the lemmings have no choice but to say it's a great move, if true.

with Arians calling the plays, including those on the late, 78-yard winning drive
    wouldn't that be execution, not the result of the OC...lol?
    Hater = Realist

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Then why wouldn't Arians come out and say he was forced out?

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    Then why wouldn't Arians come out and say he was forced out?
    His contract wasn't renewed. It's as simple as that.

"It's that time of year we do the coaches' contract for those who don't have a contract and sometimes we extend contracts," Rooney said. "Mike's involved in those conversations with all his coaches."
    Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12020...#ixzz1k4EdMhs6

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Arians could still say he's not retiring and the team simply didn't renew the contract, leading him to believe the team didn't want him.

And if Rooney forced him out, when the players and Tomlin wanted him, it was a very bad decision.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Apparently, Art wants to go in another direction as badly as many fans do. It's so frustrating to watch all that talent struggle to score so few points. Yes, we won 12 games, but our defense was still able to put their aged and decrepit feet up some asses and allow the offense to score just enough to win 12 times this year, but it can be so much better.

It's time for a change and I am excited to see what we can do with a new perspective. I wish Bruce a happy and healthy retirement, but it's just time for a breath of fresh air on the offensive side. Look what happened to our secondary when Carnell Lake took over. Change can be good. (((with every finger and toe crossed!)))

Arians could still say he's not retiring and the team simply didn't renew the contract, leading him to believe the team didn't want him.

And if Rooney forced him out, when the players and Tomlin wanted him, it was a very bad decision.
    Only time will tell that. Don't be so sure that Ben can't take his game to a higher level with a different coach. He may not like it, but he's a pro and will do what's required of him.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

How so Chidi? American business isn't based on a democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Only time will tell that. Don't be so sure that Ben can't take his game to a higher level with a different coach. He may not like it, but he's a pro and will do what's required of him.
    This is where we disagree. I still don't see the evidence that Arians was too soft on Ben (I realize the two had a close relationship but so did Tom Moore and Peyton Manning). In fact, I've seen Ben grow by leaps and bounds the past two seasons that tells me Arians is still pushing him.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    How so Chidi? American business isn't based on a democracy.
    I realize that and those factors are only part of the equation (Arians being a good OC being the other). But when you have a large group of competent people wanting to bring him back, you better at least listen. I hope and pray Art Jr. did.

what the players want is not always good. especially the way players are hungry to pad their stats nowadays. also, who is to say tomlin made a good choice with arians as the OC? tomlin didn't make a good choice with horton as the DB coach or zierlein as the O-line coach.

perhaps arians wanted it this way.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Exactly.

There once was a time....when all Ben needed was the 2 minute warning and everyone knew what was going to happen. It didn't happen in the superbowl against the Packers and it didn't happen in Denver. We looked like the keystone cops and I've a feeling it left a very sour taste in Dan and Art's mouths to watch it. Blame it on Ben, blame it on the oline, blame it on injuries, blame it on Ariens....it just can't happen anymore. I feel Ben has taken a step backward and with what he has to work with...there's NO excuse for it. Ben needs a coach, not a BFF.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I realize that and those factors are only part of the equation (Arians being a good OC being the other). But when you have a large group of competent people wanting to bring him back, you better at least listen. I hope and pray Art Jr. did.
    I'm sure he did...it's his money.

It's also possible that Arains was given a nice bonus check on the way out the door. With a coach that would be legal since they don't fall under the jurisdiction of the salary cap. Anyway if Art really wanted him gone, but wanted it done in a way that wouldn't create discord with the players, tell Bruce he's not being renewed, and here's a check for your trouble if you go away nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    Exactly.

There once was a time....when all Ben needed was the 2 minute warning and everyone knew what was going to happen. It didn't happen in the superbowl against the Packers and it didn't happen in Denver. We looked like the keystone cops and I've a feeling it left a very sour taste in Dan and Art's mouths to watch it. Blame it on Ben, blame it on the oline, blame it on injuries, blame it on Ariens....it just can't happen anymore. I feel Ben has taken a step backward and with what he has to work with...there's NO excuse for it. Ben needs a coach, not a BFF.
    Ben had the worst passer rating of his career this season in the last two minutes of either half.

But when you have a large group of competent people wanting to bring him back
    were they being truthful? what player is going to say his OC sucks? tomlin saying he wants him back could have been a smokescreen. we'll never know for certain.

IMO, it was time for a change.
    Hater = Realist

Exactly.

good post
    Hater = Realist

It's also possible that Arains was given a nice bonus check on the way out the door. With a coach that would be legal since they don't fall under the jurisdiction of the salary cap. Anyway if Art really wanted him gone, but wanted it done in a way that wouldn't create discord with the players, tell Bruce he's not being renewed, and here's a check for your trouble if you go away nicely.
    Sounds like the Irish mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    what the players want is not always good. especially the way players are hungry to pad their stats nowadays. also, who is to say tomlin made a good choice with arians as the OC? tomlin didn't make a good choice with horton as the DB coach or zierlein as the O-line coach.

perhaps arians wanted it this way.
    Don't underestimate how important a good QB/OC relationship is. It's worth it's weight in gold IMO. Tomlin's job is to evaluate and you have to let him have control of the coaching staff. That's why he has the head coaching gig. He's been more than capable of making good decisions.

Horton was a good hire. The only two bad ones were Zerilein and Ligashesky.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    were they being truthful? what player is going to say his OC sucks? tomlin saying he wants him back could have been a smokescreen. we'll never know for certain.

IMO, it was time for a change.
    Behind closed doors to the Head Coach, I'm sure plenty do.

I think the player's dislike for Brian Schottenheimer in New York was made clear.

Too close for comfort?

This is where we disagree. I still don't see the evidence that Arians was too soft on Ben (I realize the two had a close relationship but so did Tom Moore and Peyton Manning). In fact, I've seen Ben grow by leaps and bounds the past two seasons that tells me Arians is still pushing him.
    Regardless. What evidence do you have that Ben is uncoachable for anyone other than Arains?

Ben had two very successful seasons for a coach he obviously disliked before. I see no evidence to suggest that Ben has to be best buds with the incoming OC ?

Regardless. What evidence do you have that Ben is uncoachable for anyone other than Arains?

Ben had two very successful seasons for a coach he obviously disliked before. I see no evidence to suggest that Ben has to be best buds with the incoming OC ?
    He certainly is coachable by other people than Arians and Fichtner. I just see no reason to get rid of the relationship that is in place when to me, it's working well.

They don't have to be best buds, but I think it certainly is a big help. Often with friendship, comes trust (I don't have friends in real life so I'm just speculating on that ). And when you have a QB with so much freedom, you have to be willing to put trust in him at times.

The superbowl and the playoff game in Denver were the two biggest games we played in the last 2 years. We had the chance to win both of them and failed miserably. The superbowl loss could be consoled by the fact that the Packers were actually a very good team. (a very good team that we should have beat). Denver on the other hand........hmmmmm. Art wants change and we have too much talent to let this continue. Ben is 30 years old...in his prime but the clock is ticking.

The standards are simply higher in Pittsburgh.

Behind closed doors to the Head Coach, I'm sure plenty do.

I think the player's dislike for Brian Schottenheimer in New York was made clear.
    Just for proof.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...t-the-offense/

Your stretching it there a bit brother....the Jets are a circus, not a football team.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I've always said what Don Corleone Rooney wants, he gets!

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

Your stretching it there a bit brother....the Jets are a circus, not a football team.
    Touche

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Exactly.

This is what pushed me over the edge. a team that looked completely un coached unready for what was in front of them, utter embarrassment. The D was just as bad, but I give Lebeau some lee way and the D has not made a terrible habit of having completely poor gameplans. I late as 12/21/11 I was on this board supporting Arians, but at some point lack of execution and readiness falls at the feet of the coach.
    Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    This is what pushed me over the edge. a team that looked completely un coached unready for what was in front of them, utter embarrassment. The D was just as bad, but I give Lebeau some lee way and the D has not made a terrible habit of having completely poor gameplans. I late as 12/21/11 I was on this board supporting Arians, but at some point lack of execution and readiness falls at the feet of the coach.
    Let's not forget we came out of that game pretty hot. This team dominated the first quarter of the game. Those are your scripted plays. We were prepared.