Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cook claims Arians was forced out by Art Rooney II

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Re: Cook claims Arians was forced out by Art Rooney II

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    See if you agree with this Count.

The reason I engaged in this topic, which to some degree admittedly is beating the proverbial dead horse. Is because for the last two years Arians strongest supporters have used front office support as somewhat of a bully pulpit against those of us who have expressed doubts or reservations about Bruce. If you claimed that there were some higher up's in the organization that had similar doubts about Arains, and referenced a near plurality among the beat reporters who covered the team who nearly all insist that Bruce was almost ousted two years ago by the Rooney's. You were mocked and ridiculed along with said reporters, who supposedly made it all up.

Right or wrong there's been internal conflict in the Steelers organization for at least a couple years as to whether Bruce was the right man for the job. Proving that knowledgeable lifetime football people can hold the same views and doubts as us ignorant message board posters.
    Last year there was a report that BA was going to be fire. This turned out to be not true. That is when the the common line was, "Well they changed their mind or got talked out of it." Everyone in the organization disclaimed this notion except for one unnamed person, the one that obviously started the story. Some decided to believe the unnamed source, some of us decided to believe the people that put their names to their statement. I don't recall any more ridicule coming for one side more than the other. The FO wanted to keep BA last year, I thought they were right to do so. If their decide to force BA, which as far as I know is still speculation, I have to believe they are doing what they think is right for the team, and they have a pretty good history of being right.

I am still glad Dan is finally coming home.

AML

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Last week when I saw Bruce Arians at Steelers headquarters, I asked if he'd be back in 2012.
    "Yeah, I'll be back," he said.
    But as it turns out, it doesn't look like he will return. There's growing speculation that Arians is being forced out. His five-year run as offensive coordinator is all but officially over.

ww.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/bires-steelers-wants-more-from-offense-than-arians-gives-them/article_ad207c0f-7505-5ad3-b00e-bc10a7dac91e.html
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Last week when I saw Bruce Arians at Steelers headquarters, I asked if he'd be back in 2012.
    "Yeah, I'll be back," he said.
    But as it turns out, it doesn't look like he will return. There's growing speculation that Arians is being forced out. His five-year run as offensive coordinator is all but officially over.

ww.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/bires-steelers-wants-more-from-offense-than-arians-gives-them/article_ad207c0f-7505-5ad3-b00e-bc10a7dac91e.html
    So last year Art Jr. could change his mind, even though he said that was not the case, but this year BA is not aloud to.

AML

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

This would, at best, make Rooney a liar on several different fronts.

I knew this would be the direction this whole thing went, because some people desperately want to be proven right in their annual assertion (3-4 years running now) that Arians was on the chopping block.

I am going to wait and see how this whole thing shakes out before I comment more. I mean, people are losing their minds here again, with all kinds of crazy conspiracy theories and the like...
    Fire Goodell

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

If it's true that Art II forced him out, then I'm going to trust his judgment like I do every other time. It's his team, and if he wants change, change is what he's going to get whether anyone likes it or not. However, he...as well as the blind Arians haters here and everywhere else...had better hope the new OC pans out and the offense has more success, because if they don't, they're all going to hear about it.

I'm not sure I expect a much better offense next year, and I'm not going to hammer the new OC if it is not. He may install several different idea to the offense, and I am only guessing that this might not be easy for the offense to grasp right away. One thing he as going for him, hopefully, is the lack of injurys the crippled the QB position, and weakened an already questionable line. Plus, hopefully, he will have a couple new linemen to work with.

AML

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

I really think we will be ok on O this year the have all the camps. i am more concerned with the D at this moment, big changes on that side of the ball coming for sure

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    Apparently, Art wants to go in another direction as badly as many fans do.

It's so frustrating to watch all that talent struggle to score so few points....

It's time for a change and I am excited to see what we can do with a new perspective. I wish Bruce a happy and healthy retirement, but it's just time for a breath of fresh air on the offensive side. Look what happened to our secondary when Carnell Lake took over. Change can be good. (((with every finger and toe crossed!)))
    For WHATEVER reasons we have a loaded offense and are only scoring 20.3 ppg. Now it's time for a change. Simple as that.

Is Arians the majority of the problem? No.

I just PRAY the FO does not consider this a cure all and continue to ignore the largest problem...the offensive line.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    were they being truthful? what player is going to say his OC sucks? tomlin saying he wants him back could have been a smokescreen. we'll never know for certain.

IMO, it was time for a change.
    Tomlin also stated it was right for the commissioner to fine James Harrison.

The was AR II all the way. I figured there would have been a team statement to the fact, but they handled it very noblely and probably gave BA a bonus check to say only good things. Happens all the time.
    All Defense!

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    If it's true that Art II forced him out, then I'm going to trust his judgment like I do every other time. It's his team, and if he wants change, change is what he's going to get whether anyone likes it or not. However, he...as well as the blind Arians haters here and everywhere else...had better hope the new OC pans out and the offense has more success, because if they don't, they're all going to hear about it.
    Trouble being, the new OC will get the benefit of a new and improved O Line, assuming they address this unit in FA and/or the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Tomlin also stated it was right for the commissioner to fine James Harrison.

The was AR II all the way. I figured there would have been a team statement to the fact, but they handled it very noblely and probably gave BA a bonus check to say only good things. Happens all the time.
    Tomlin also call a couple of the fines BS. Just because he said the fine was right in one case does not mean he was saying it was right in all cases.

AML

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Once again the awesome media tries to stir up a little controversy. NOONE has any true idea what went down except for Tomlin, Rooney, and Arians.

I don't believe there's any real issue here whatsoever. Who knows? I think too much assumption is made that just because management and coaches might disagree somewhat that there's a problem. My bosses tell me to do stuff all the time I don't agree with. I'm still happy to work there.
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    For WHATEVER reasons we have a loaded offense and are only scoring 20.3 ppg. Now it's time for a change. Simple as that.

Is Arians the majority of the problem? No.

I just PRAY the FO does not consider this a cure all and continue to ignore the largest problem...the offensive line.

3 of the biggest problems are that the offense has made ​​28 turnovers, the red zone and the number of sacks.

Also the fact that the defense has created only 15 turnovers was also one of the problems in the offense and also Roethlisberger's injury has really hurt the steelers offense(30 points in 3 games with a Roethlisberger's injury).

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

See if you agree with this Count.

The reason I engaged in this topic, which to some degree admittedly is beating the proverbial dead horse. Is because for the last two years Arians strongest supporters have used front office support as somewhat of a bully pulpit against those of us who have expressed doubts or reservations about Bruce. If you claimed that there were some higher up's in the organization that had similar doubts about Arains, and referenced a near plurality among the beat reporters who covered the team who nearly all insist that Bruce was almost ousted two years ago by the Rooney's. You were mocked and ridiculed along with said reporters, who supposedly made it all up.

Right or wrong there's been internal conflict in the Steelers organization for at least a couple years as to whether Bruce was the right man for the job. Proving that knowledgeable lifetime football people can hold the same views and doubts as us ignorant message board posters.
    I believe it was before the 2010 season that ARII challenged Tomlin and Arians to step it up in their positions. He wanted a more effective running game and he wanted the young players developed better. I don't think you have to use reporters or other stories to intimate that there was dissension in the FO. I would suggest from that interview, ARII was not very pleased with Tomlin nor Arians.

Tomlin's second contract was long in coming, further bringing speculation that ARII was not pleased with the coaches. Arians has been on year to year contracts, as has Lebeau, for the last 3-4 years.

It was my strong feeling after the game in Denver that this is a transition off season for the Steelers. Some coaches and vets would be retiring or moving on. I believe we have only started.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    This would, at best, make Rooney a liar on several different fronts.

I knew this would be the direction this whole thing went, because some people desperately want to be proven right in their annual assertion (3-4 years running now) that Arians was on the chopping block.

I am going to wait and see how this whole thing shakes out before I comment more. I mean, people are losing their minds here again, with all kinds of crazy conspiracy theories and the like...
    Yeah like nearly every single member of the working press that covers the team on a daily basis. People who unlike any of us have actual sources and access to team facilities.

If you want to continue on with your fantasy that Bruce was always beloved by all in the Steelers hierarchy, and that he just woke up in Hawaii yesterday and said I'm done with it, after telling virtually everyone that would listen just a week earlier that he couldn't wait to be back, then have at it.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    I believe it was before the 2010 season that ARII challenged Tomlin and Arians to step it up in their positions. He wanted a more effective running game and he wanted the young players developed better.
    In addition, the running game -- an area that Arians' detractors said he didn't develop -- had its best per-carry average (4.4 yards) since the 2001 season. That is a better average than in '10 when Art Rooney II declared the Steelers needed to run the ball more effectively.
    Seems to me that equals improvement. I think Antonio Brown and Mike Wallace have developed pretty well also.

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    So last year Art Jr. could change his mind, even though he said that was not the case, but this year BA is not aloud to.
    You really think that's what happened? Honestly? Funny how Bruce hasn't spoken publicly about any of this yet?

Rooney wants to win. He is the boss. He signs the checks, he gets to call the shots. We can call the last 5 years a partial success. The first 3 years were great, getting us to the SB and winning. The last 2 years, while playoff years, have been frustrating. Rooney does not want to continue down the same road, therefore he has made a change.

We shall see what the future holds. I believe there are more personnel changes coming, both on and off the field.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Seems to me that equals improvement. I think Antonio Brown and Mike Wallace have developed pretty well also.
    Art sees something he does not like. Maybe he was talked into keeping Arians 2 years ago. He could not be convinced this time around. He is the boss.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    Arians could still say he's not retiring and the team simply didn't renew the contract, leading him to believe the team didn't want him.

And if Rooney forced him out, when the players and Tomlin wanted him, it was a very bad decision.
    I wasn't a real big Arians fan anyway, there's way too many times I was pissed too many times at a play called that didn't do anything for us. I'm sorry, but if Rooney forced him out sounds good to me. After all, it seems the Rooney's and F.O. made some pretty damn good/great decisions on coaches in the past. As far as what the players and Tomlin like....too bad, they don't have a 'track' record of good or great hires, and this is s business not a social club where you hang with people who are nice and you like.

Art sees something he does not like. Maybe he was talked into keeping Arians 2 years ago. He could not be convinced this time around. He is the boss.
    Good way to put it, and probably right.

You really think that's what happened? Honestly? Funny how Bruce hasn't spoken publicly about any of this yet?
    I don't know for sure, and neither do you. This is speculation on both our parts and I will not pretend to know something that none of us really know. I believe he has retire because he chose to till I know better.

AML

I'm just about out the door heading to Florida until late Tuesday.

Have a good week end guys. Remember it's just guys and gal having fun discussing our favorite team. Let's not make it personal or get too mad over a difference of opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    I don't know for sure, and neither do you. This is speculation on both our parts and I will not pretend to know something that none of us really know. I believe he has retire because he chose to till I know better.
    I know where the evidence trail leads. You can pretend it doesn't exist if it makes you happy.

Here we go Steelers! Here we go!

On to the draft.

Fix the O Line, add depth to D Line.

I know where the evidence trail leads. You can pretend it doesn't exist if it makes you happy.
    And you can pretend you know what is in the mind of BA and the organization, if that makes you happy. The evidence trail shows that BA said he would be back, then decided to retire after all, for what ever reason. Everything else is pure speculation. No body KNOWS the whole story, and unless something is said later on by BA or the organization, we likely never will.

AML

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Trouble being, the new OC will get the benefit of a new and improved O Line, assuming they address this unit in FA and/or the draft.
    The new OC is going to insist on it being addressed. If he doesn't, he should be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    The new OC is going to insist on it being addressed. If he doesn't, he should be fired.
    I'll be the first. Fire ( insert name.)

AML

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Personnally, I think the decision was made not to offer him a contract extension. He announced his retirement, and everybody looks good.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

In addition, the running game -- an area that Arians' detractors said he didn't develop -- had its best per-carry average (4.4 yards) since the 2001 season. That is a better average than in '10 when Art Rooney II declared the Steelers needed to run the ball more effectively.
    Fansince 76

Great point.

But I wonder if they had simply ASSUMED that if our running game was strong again we would be knocking the rock into the end zone again...

Possibly all the MORE reason to be disgruntled with 20.3 PPG.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant