Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: With the 24th Pick in the 2012 NFL Draft the Pittsburgh Steelers select...

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Lightbulb With the 24th Pick in the 2012 NFL Draft the Pittsburgh Steelers select...

Which are the players the Steelers could drafted?

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: With the 24th Pick in the 2012 NFL Draft the Pittsburgh Steelers select...

24. Pittsburgh Steelers -- Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis
    Nose tackle Casey Hampton is 34 and will likely have knee surgery. The 6-5, 350-pound Poe is cut out of the same mold and should be a strong force in the middle of a 3-4 line.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...html?hpt=hp_t3

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Hopefully a guard or nose tackle. I won't have a problem with inside linebacker

Swaggin' University Array title="ShutDown24 has a spectacular aura about"> ShutDown24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    24. Pittsburgh Steelers -- Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis
    Nose tackle Casey Hampton is 34 and will likely have knee surgery. The 6-5, 350-pound Poe is cut out of the same mold and should be a strong force in the middle of a 3-4 line.
    Absolutely.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Jonathon Martin, LT, Stanford.

Dare to dream.
    Fire Goodell

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Which are the players the Steelers could drafted?
    #24 candidates at the moment include:

O line - Peter Konz, Cordy Glenn, Zebrie Sanders & Brandon Washington
    D Line - Dontari Poe
    LB - Donta Hightower, Zach Brown & Whitney Mercilus
    WR - Mohammed Sanu & Alshon Jeffrey
    CB - Janoris Jenkins, Chase Minnifield & Stephon Gilmore
    RB - Lamaar Miller

I think Upshaw, Worthy and a few others are gone.

I would take Peter Konz from that list

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    Jonathon Martin, LT, Stanford.

Dare to dream.
    Please, let's.

Sticking with Stanford, how 'bout guard prospect David DeCastro.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

I want the best safety in the draft!
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    Please, let's.

Sticking with Stanford, how 'bout guard prospect David DeCastro.
    I would love it bud, but I think both the Stanford O-linemen are gone in the 1st 15 pick.

AML

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

DeCastro would be nice, too.

Since we're dreaming, how about both?
    Fire Goodell

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    DeCastro would be nice, too.

Since we're dreaming, how about both?
    I'd love DeCastro, but last time I checked, he is staying for his senior year, but I could be wrong.

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

http://twitter.com/ddecastro52

I have decided to enter the NFL draft. Thanks to all who have supported me and Stanford football. I wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else

January 4 tweet

Senior Member Array title="Steeltreal will become famous soon enough"> Steeltreal's Avatar

If Colbert is eying extra picks, acquire an extra 1st and 3rd from a team trying to sign Mike Wallace and not match the offer.
    Then pull a possible Polamalu type trade up (from the 27th spot to the 16th)

Then I’d target Stephen Hill – 6’5’’ – Georgia Tech – (aka the next Limas Sweed) with one of the 3rd round picks.
    Receiving corp is Brown , Sanders, Cotchery , Hill, Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Steeltreal View Post
    If Colbert is eying extra picks, acquire an extra 1st and 3rd from a team trying to sign Mike Wallace and not match the offer.
    Then pull a possible Polamalu type trade up (from the 27th spot to the 16th)

Then I’d target Stephen Hill – 6’5’’ – Georgia Tech – (aka the next Limas Sweed) with one of the 3rd round picks.
    Receiving corp is Brown , Sanders, Cotchery , Hill, Ward
    I posted this at another site in relation to trading Wallace for the rights to draft DeCastro. I said that I would trade Mike Wallace straight up for the rights to select David DeCastro. It directly relates to your post Steelreal

I believe the Steelers would trade Mike Wallace for the rights to draft David DeCastro based on the information below.

1. Mike Wallace is a Restricted Free Agent this year. The steelers front office has had the chance to offer him Contract 2. They havent.

2. He will be offered the highest level RFA tender which equates to approximately $2.5 million dollars and a 1st and 3rd round tender for
    another team to gain his rights. Yes the steelers have the right to match but that is risky. Thus they are prepared to take this risk

3. Currently we are sitting at #24 in the draft. Using most draft trade value charts this pick equates to 740 points. The 3rd round pick equates to 150 points. At 890 points
    Mike Wallace can be had for the equivalent of the #18 draft pick

4. All good judges admit that David DeCastro will be a top 15 pick. That equates to 1000 points plus.

5. Using that draft logic the Steelers front office ( at this point time, unless a contract is offered to Mike Wallace) would be prepared to consider the option of letting Mike Wallace go for the equal value of David DeCastro.

6. Therefore leaving the draft in April you could theoretically have

David DeCastro
    1. #24 Donta Hightower ILB
    2. #56 Josh Chapman NT
    3. #88 Kevin Zeitler OG
    4. #110 George Iloka FS
    5. #142 Jarius Wright WR Arkansas 5'10 180" 4.34 speed
    6. Who ever you want from here to fill any other holes
    I wouldnt be drafting the next Limas Sweed. I would be trying to find the next Mike Wallace / Antonio Brown. You dont need to draft the next Limas Sweed because I believe he will be back at training camp this year competing for a spot ( if healthy)

Senior Member Array title="Steeltreal will become famous soon enough"> Steeltreal's Avatar

I like the idea even if it were a top 10 talent that slid and we trade the #24th to move up. Colbert put most of the cap money on the defensive side of the ball last season for a reason, The offense has to suffer some kind of loss and its Mike Wallace or the Oline,

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Are we really considering trading mike Wallace?

No "WE" are not . Just wishful thinking for a stronger draft.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

I say we go best available at 24... or TRADE DOWN and have the luxury of having first rounders for the next five years. Aka. What the pats do every year

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Steeler View Post
    Not trading.

I am suggesting that as a restricted free agent I am willing to see if anyone makes him an offer.

Wallace is going to be a free agent and he is going to command big money ( as he thinks that he is top 5). The restricted free agent tag may actually work in the teams favour in a number of ways

1. If a team offers Wallace top 5 receiver money and it is more than you are prepared to pay you let him walk and you collect a 1st and a 3rd
    2. If a team offers Wallace top 15 receiver money then you offer the sheet and get him to a reasonable contract
    3. If no teams make an offer you have him on board for $2.5 million and you get a year to negotiate. You remind him that if he was a top 5 receiver why the hell didnt 27 teams line up to sign him as a RFA

All three scenarios work in the steelers favour.
    NOTE if you had balls of steel you would only offer him the mid RFA tender that was a sole first round pick and slightly less money. Now that would scare the shit out of him).
    Last edited by Aussie_steeler; 01-15-2012 at 02:21 PM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Steeler View Post
    Another perspective

http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/20...-for-steelers/

Other teams forums are already talking about Wallace being potentially available. It could become a reality

http://riggosrag.com/2012/01/11/who-...n-free-agency/
    http://www.pewterreport.com/Boards/index.php/topic,1289967.15.html
    Last edited by Aussie_steeler; 01-15-2012 at 03:44 PM. Reason: edit

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
    I wouldnt be drafting the next Limas Sweed. I would be trying to find the next Mike Wallace / Antonio Brown. You dont need to draft the next Limas Sweed because I believe he will be back at training camp this year competing for a spot ( if healthy)
    I don't know Limas is 27 injury riddled compared to a 20 year old Raw talent in Stephen Hill

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

http://twitter.com/ddecastro52
    I have decided to enter the NFL draft. Thanks to all who have supported me and Stanford football. I wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else

January 4 tweet

#24 candidates at the moment include:

O line - Peter Konz, Cordy Glenn, Zebrie Sanders & Brandon Washington
    D Line - Dontari Poe
    LB - Donta Hightower, Zach Brown & Whitney Mercilus
    WR - Mohammed Sanu & Alshon Jeffrey
    CB - Janoris Jenkins, Chase Minnifield & Stephon Gilmore
    RB - Lamaar Miller

I think Upshaw, Worthy and a few others are gone.

I would take Peter Konz from that list
    I would add OT Mike Adams to that list...it wont be too long before Zebrie Sanders starts sliding, and Adams works his way up to the top of the 2nd or the bottom of the first. I have NO idea how a scout can rate Sanders higher than Adams. Adams is a LT prospect who has great knee bend and is more athletic. Sanders is a waist bending RT who seems slow to me.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Senior Member Array title="7willBheaven is on a distinguished road"> 7willBheaven's Avatar

With Denver and Houston loosing this weekend that should bump the Steelers to picking #27

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    I would add OT Mike Adams to that list...it wont be too long before Zebrie Sanders starts sliding, and Adams works his way up to the top of the 2nd or the bottom of the first. I have NO idea how a scout can rate Sanders higher than Adams. Adams is a LT prospect who has great knee bend and is more athletic. Sanders is a waist bending RT who seems slow to me.

I am starting to play with Poe in the 1st, but you know me, it would be very hard for me to pass on a lagitimate LT like Adams when the pick is actually made. When I look hard at this draft Ta'amu within reach in the 2nd, a player how's strengths are just what the Steelers ask their NTs to do, and players like Silatolu, Zeitler, and Kelemete likely there in the 3rd.

I'm also starting to lean toward George lloka in the 4th. I love Eddie Whitley, but lloka has the. size and speed I like in a FS

AML

Quote Originally Posted by 7willBheaven View Post
    With Denver and Houston loosing this weekend that should bump the Steelers to picking #27
    I'm not sure how that works, but the Mocks I have seen posted today still have Denver picking one spot behind us.

AML

Senior Member Array title="7willBheaven is on a distinguished road"> 7willBheaven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    I'm not sure how that works, but the Mocks I have seen posted today still have Denver picking one spot behind us.
    They may not have fixed it since the weekend. But the way I understood it is that the playoff teams go in the order of their records (except the SB teams) not in the order of elimination. I would love to have the 24th or higher pick...but I have a feeling we may end up in the 26-28th range when its all said and done.

Whaaaat I thought it was how deep you made it in the playoffs. Then your record ?

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by 7willBheaven View Post
    They may not have fixed it since the weekend. But the way I understood it is that the playoff teams go in the order of their records (except the SB teams) not in the order of elimination. I would love to have the 24th or higher pick...but I have a feeling we may end up in the 26-28th range when its all said and done.
    That's how it's used to be. Now it depends on what round you were eliminated then record. The Steelers locked up the 24th pick last Sunday and that is the pick they hold until they trade it away

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Trading Mike Wallace for a "stronger" draft and weakening the team...horrible idea. HORRIBLE...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler