Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: With the 24th Pick in the 2012 NFL Draft the Pittsburgh Steelers select...

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

Re: With the 24th Pick in the 2012 NFL Draft the Pittsburgh Steelers select...

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    The problem lies at the LT position. Unless the Front Office thinks that Gilbert is going to move to the left side, then we are heavy on the right side. Starks is a free agent and was brought back (after being cut) because we had NO ONE who could legitimately man the left side.

Our problems on the front line are two-fold. 1) We need a legit LT prospect 2) We need an OG who can man the position and stop the constant switching out every week. In a perfect world i would like to see Colon come back and play OG and keep Gilbert at RT. We might be able to sign Starks to a one year deal since noone even gave him a sniff after we cut him. He can man the Left side, until the drafted tackle either moves to to LT or goes to RT so that Gilbert can man the left side.

I will take some crap for this but I would like to see a lineup of:
    Starks/Mike Adams (drafted rookie) at LT
    Legursky/Amini Silatolu(drafted rookie) at LG
    Pouncey at OC
    Colon at RG
    Gilbert at RT
    I think the steelers will go slightly different LLT. By mid season, barring injuries I can see the first string O line being

LT - Gilbert ( has been groomed to be the future LT)
    LG - First Round Pick ( IMO Konz)
    C - Pouncey
    RG - Foster ( RG has always been the cheap ass option on the line. Nothing will change)
    RT - Colon ( Money has been invested and he will be back)

I still believe the draft ( barring a major tumble like 2008 when Mendenhall fell 10 plus spots) will be

1. OG
    2. ILB or NT
    3. OT / OG swingman
    4. ILB or NT
    5. BPA

Using that Logic

1. Peter Konz OG Wisconsin
    2. Josh Chapman NT Bama
    3. Bobby Massie OT Miss
    4. Emmanuel Acho ILB Texas
    5. Jordan White WR Western Michigan
    6. Tony Dye SS UCLA
    7. Austin Davis QB Sth Miss
    7. Markus Kuhn DE NC State
    Last edited by Aussie_steeler; 01-19-2012 at 04:31 AM. Reason: added a mock

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Nice work Aussie, and I would be very happy with that draft. I just have a feeling that they will try to trade up in the second to draft Ta'ama. He is a little quicker than Chapman with better punch at the snap, and IMO is a little better on run defence. I also think that Jordan White will continue to climb in the draft and a team will grab him early 4th, late 3rd.

AML

Swaggin' University Array title="ShutDown24 has a spectacular aura about"> ShutDown24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
    2. Josh Chapman NT Bama
    3. Bobby Massie OT Miss
    6. Tony Dye SS UCLA
    That looks like good value in every round to me. I would love it if the board fell like that. Picks 1, 2 and 4 could help out immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by ShutDown24 View Post
    That lineup looks good to me. But I just don't feel that is how the team envisions it. I think they drafted Gilbert with the idea that he is going to be the left tackle of the future. Colon was a guard when he came out of school wasn't he? I do think they are too stubborn with him at RT. But when it comes down to it I just think we have bigger needs to address in the first three rounds than tackle. Who knows though, we shall see.

I get the feeling that this draft is going to be an important one. I can't remember a year where addressing several concerns through the draft was more necessary than this.

I agree that the lineup I want to see is probably not going to happen and for the exact two reasons that you expressed. 1) The coaches seem determined to keep Colon on the outside 2) Gilbert was drafted to be the LT of the future.

I am just not sure that Gilbert is ready to move to Ben's blind side. Hopefully it all comes together for him and we can see him make that progression without a problem, but I am thinking that he may need one more year. Even if he can move this next year...we are painfully thin at OT. I am sure that we will see the Steelers draft at least two bodies along the front line. I predict that this will be the third year in a row in which we pick up a lineman in the first two rounds and probably another lineman within the first four rounds.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
    I think the steelers will go slightly different LLT. By mid season, barring injuries I can see the first string O line being

LT - Gilbert ( has been groomed to be the future LT)
    LG - First Round Pick ( IMO Konz)
    C - Pouncey
    RG - Foster ( RG has always been the cheap ass option on the line. Nothing will change)
    RT - Colon ( Money has been invested and he will be back)

I still believe the draft ( barring a major tumble like 2008 when Mendenhall fell 10 plus spots) will be

1. OG
    2. ILB or NT
    3. OT / OG swingman
    4. ILB or NT
    5. BPA

Using that Logic

2. Josh Chapman NT Bama
    3. Bobby Massie OT Miss
    6. Tony Dye SS UCLA
    Love the Konz and Massie picks!!! Give me my OT ande OG in the first three rounds and I'm golden!!

Not sure about the Marjus Kuhn pick. He seems like a UDFA...but for some reason...I do like the last name....hmmmmmm.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    Love the Konz and Massie picks!!! Give me my OT ande OG in the first three rounds and I'm golden!!

Not sure about the Marjus Kuhn pick. He seems like a UDFA...but for some reason...I do like the last name....hmmmmmm.
    Having watched the bowl game to see how JR Sweezy performed I walked away way more impressed with Markus Kuhn. I think he has more upside and has a much better head / track record than Sweezy.

Apparently Josh Chapman played the second half of the season with a torn ACL and meniscus in his knee. How a big man anchors and dominates without a fully functional knee is beyond me. Through in that he is from a pro - style college program of Nick Sabans I think he will be the better pro

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"