Thread: noob to college footie

Senior Member Array title="crcsnail has a spectacular aura about"> crcsnail's Avatar

noob to college footie

ok these questions are gonna sound pretty stupid , but hey. i have only started watching college football the last 2 months . i finally subsribed to espn in the uk so i could watch it . i get the rule differances , one foot in bounds etc. but what i want to know is what is a freshman ,a sophormore ,an all pro etc etc etc etc ? can any of u guys list what these terms mean ? also, as a steeler fan do i cheer on, pitt or penn state or both ? or someone else ?

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

Re: noob to college footie

Freshman, sophomore, junior and senior. That's first, second, third, or fourth year player. Basically the same as the academic side of the university. All-pro is strictly an NFL term, but the All-Americans are the best players in the country at each position.

You might also have heard the term "redshirt". Once a player enrolls in a university (or college, the terms are interchangeable on this side of the pond), he can play for the next five years, although he can only play in four seasons. A redshirt means there's a year he didn't play. It's usually his first year. A true freshman is in his first year in college, while a redshirt freshman is in his second year academically but playing his first season. Players can also receive a "medical redshirt" if they have a season ending injury.

As a Steelers fan you can root for any college you want. Except Al-Abama, Auburn, or Ole Miss. They're the debbil

Senior Member Array title="crcsnail has a spectacular aura about"> crcsnail's Avatar

thanks for that godfather . i would have thought a junior would be a first year player , but i guess not i did mean, all american but couldnt remember wot was said on the telly . so what age would the average player expect to head to the nfl via the draft? also at what age do they start college? i did see a ruuning back playing for either pitt or penn state who looked awesome. i think i heard on a later programme he had done his knee in bad . is he ok ?soz couldnt remember his name , im getting old lol

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crcsnail View Post
    thanks for that godfather . i would have thought a junior would be a first year player , but i guess not i did mean, all american but couldnt remember wot was said on the telly . so what age would the average player expect to head to the nfl via the draft? also at what age do they start college? i did see a ruuning back playing for either pitt or penn state who looked awesome. i think i heard on a later programme he had done his knee in bad . is he ok ?soz couldnt remember his name , im getting old lol
    When it comes to college here in the U.S., most of us start at the age of eighteen or seventeen for people who have late birthdays (in the months of September, October, November, and December). Most are in college for four years so a lot of us are graduating at the age of twenty one or twenty two. However, there are quite a few people who are leaving college after their junior year or third year in college to play in the NFL. The player who you're thinking about was Ray Graham who was having an awesome season till he tore his ACL. It sucked because he was a major part of the Pitt Panthers offense, but he'll be back next season and Rushel Shell will also becoming to Pitt. He was one of the highest scouted football players coming out of high school and decided to go to Pitt! He's a running back as well.

Living Legend Array title="Dino 6 Rings has a spectacular aura about"> Dino 6 Rings's Avatar

ok these questions are gonna sound pretty stupid , but hey. i have only started watching college football the last 2 months . i finally subsribed to espn in the uk so i could watch it . i get the rule differances , one foot in bounds etc. but what i want to know is what is a freshman ,a sophormore ,an all pro etc etc etc etc ? can any of u guys list what these terms mean ? also, as a steeler fan do i cheer on, pitt or penn state or both ? or someone else ?
    Cheer for PITT. That other school has been exposed for disgustingness and foulness that reaches into the lower levels of hell.
    SuperBowl Wins - How many does YOUR team have? Steelers 6, 49ers 5, Cowboys 5, Packers 4, Giants 4, Pats 4, Redskins 3, Raiders 3, Broncos 2, Dolphins 2, Colts 2, Ravens 2, Bears 1, Jets 1, Bucs 1, Rams 1, Chiefs 1, Saints 1, Hawks 1

A player isn't eligible for the NFL draft until three years after he finishes high school, regardless of age. So you could get someone who graduated high school at 15 be eligible for the draft at 18 (in theory, it hasn't happened...I think there was a defensive lineman from Louisville who was 19 when he was drafted). Or you could get someone who graduates high school at 19, redshirts once, and enters the draft at 24.

You ocassionally have a few people who are even older. Mormons go on a two year mission when they're 19, soif they don't start college first, they enroll at 21 and still have all their eligibility. You also see players who tried to play baseball and didn't make it, so they go back to school and play football. Matt Mauck, Chris Weinke, etc.

Oh, and as far as adopting a college team, you should tell us more about yourself so we can help you find the right team. If you like defense, you should pick someone in the SEC (but NOT al-Abama, Ole Miss, or Auburn). If you like offense, you should pick a Big XII team or a Pac-12 team. (You can look to other conferences too, those are just examples).

How did you become a Steelers fan? That could give us some insight too.

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

You absolutely MUST root for PITT...

Just saying, lol

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

Pitt is a good option. I am an Ohio State fan, but I like and follow Pitt.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

Cheer for whoever you want man.

I cheer for Duke and Notre Dame in college football.

Just throwing that out there.

as im a steeler fan and a penguins fan (although a pretty passive penguins fan) i think i better stick with PITT !! yay !!!! better try and get me a t-shirt with that on thanks for all the info . it was definatly ray graham. in the game i saw he was awesome . hope his knee gets better . in your opinion would he be a high draft pick? i have watched most of the bowl games and been very impressed .

i became a steeler fan in early to mid 80s when channel 4 started showing highlights of games in the UK (a week late ) i needed a team , u cant follow a sport without a team can ya (hense im now a PITT fan ) i didnt know nothing of the history of teams etc so looked at the previous years records . i decided to pick a team with a lousy record it came down to the steelers and a couple of others . in the end i picked the steelers cos i liked the colours . the colours, by the way are now used for my electrical company

Well, if you want to root for an underdog, you should go with Tulane. As a bonus, they're building a new on campus football stadium that should open in 2014. Then you'd have an excuse for a trip to the States.

Plus there's some tradition involved. Tulane played in the first Sugar Bowl. Max McGee (first player to ever score a touchdown in the Super Bowl) played his college ball there. Undefeated season in 1998, and Shaun King set the single season record for quarterback rating. Matt Forte and Mewelde Moore are Tulane alumni.