Thread: "Conservatives" should know the Constitution

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

"Conservatives" should know the Constitution

Now to be fair, George's question is a complete load of crap. He took his chance to (yet again) raise a wedge issue that nobody in either party actually wants in order to push his own liberal viewpoint. But still...
    HOW is it that this entire stage full of so-called "conservatives" can't answer such a simple question about Constitutional law?? Why do they have to defer to the guy that they keep insisting is a "nut"??
    I thought conservatives are supposed to be up on all this "Constitution" stuff? Why the Hell are these people even running for the Republican nomination when they can't answer such a simple question?
    And how does *ANYBODY* run for the office of President when they clearly don't know enough about the Constitution to uphold and defend it? That's kinda the job description.

Yeah, Paul knows the answer, but that's not the point. THEY *ALL* SHOULD KNOW THE ANSWER!
    Holy crap. These idiots are on the wrong stage....
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Re: "Conservatives" should know the Constitution

Goslash

Yeah, Paul knows the answer, but that's not the point. THEY *ALL* SHOULD KNOW THE ANSWER!
    Actually, that probably IS your point.

Are you saying that Romney should not be considered because of this?

I think you are being a bit myopic and overreacting slash......

Are you honestly calling Romney an idiot because of this one response?

...or is your post more out of frustration that not everybody has the intelligence or enlightenment to see Ron Paul as the panacea?
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

I'm saying *none of them* should be considered if that's their response. That's not just Romney.
    "Conservatives" are always going on about the Constitution like it's important to them. Did those guys look like they gave a flip about the Constitution?
    It's also central to the oath of office for Presidents. How are they supposed to "preserve, protect, and defend" a document when they don't know or care what it says?

I'm very irked about this, and I don't think I'm overreacting at all. These people aren't fit to be Republicans, let alone President. They couldn't even pass a naturalization test, and I mean that literally. A naturalized immigrant who doesn't even speak English has more knowledge of the role and responsibility of President than these people. What the Hell are they doing running for the Republican nomination?
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

^ And this ain't even about Paul personally. There are plenty of people who could answer that question. Hell, I'm not a Bachmann fan, but I guarantee you she wouldn't have been standing up there looking like a newly- castrated sheep on that one.
    I'm just sayin' that anyone who's willing to defer it to someone else who they think knows more about "that Constitution stuff" has no business in this race. The people who don't know or care about the Constitution are what the rest of us call "Democrats".

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Maybe obaaama can travel all 57 states and school us on the constitution and how to bypass congress.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    I'm saying *none of them* should be considered if that's their response. That's not just Romney.
    "Conservatives" are always going on about the Constitution like it's important to them. Did those guys look like they gave a flip about the Constitution?
    It is unfortunate but should not be the only litmus test for the presidency as you are implying here..

Conversely, I am sure there are many who could answer this question who are completely unqualified to be president.

You are overreacting Slash, just like when you say if paul doesn't win you'd rather have Obama again over any other republican candidate.

I think we are kindred spirits in our respect for the consititution and I appreciate your STRONG convictions but I think there is more to being a good president than the ability to answer one question no matter how important.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    It is unfortunate but should not be the only litmus test for the presidency as you are implying here..

Conversely, I am sure there are many who could answer this question who are completely unqualified to be president.

You are overreacting Slash, just like when you say if paul doesn't win you'd rather have Obama again over any other republican candidate.

I think we are kindred spirits in our respect for the consititution and I appreciate your STRONG convictions but I think there is more to being a good president than the ability to answer one question no matter how important.
    This.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post

I get where you're coming from, and I disagree. What else can I say? The oath of office is to "preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution". That oath is impossible to fulfill if the candidate doesn't know what the Constitution says and isn't interested in finding out. Men of good conscience can disagree on how important that knowledge is to a President, but surely you can agree that someone who's trying to pass himself off as a "conservative" (the people who supposedly know the Constitution and want to follow it) shouldn't need to look to another candidate for guidance.

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post

Now to be fair, George's question is a complete load of crap. He took his chance to (yet again) raise a wedge issue that nobody in either party actually wants in order to push his own liberal viewpoint. But still...
    HOW is it that this entire stage full of so-called "conservatives" can't answer such a simple question about Constitutional law?? Why do they have to defer to the guy that they keep insisting is a "nut"??
    I thought conservatives are supposed to be up on all this "Constitution" stuff? Why the Hell are these people even running for the Republican nomination when they can't answer such a simple question?
    And how does *ANYBODY* run for the office of President when they clearly don't know enough about the Constitution to uphold and defend it? That's kinda the job description.

You DO realize, that the question really being asked was not about contraception, but about abortion right? "Contraception" was a euphemism that the candidates picked up on. The law is so muddled in this respect - there IS no right to privacy in the constitution, it was only found in the "Penumbra" of the constitution in Roe v. Wade, which is where the right to privacy really became case law, which is then held up as Constitutional law.

Is it that the candidates don't know the constitution, or is it that they saw the ambush and tried to avoid it? After all, Obama is going to need A LOT of help to get elected this go-around. One way to do that, is to drag back up the "No More Coathangers" wedge.

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    You DO realize, that the question really being asked was not about contraception, but about abortion right? "Contraception" was a euphemism that the candidates picked up on. The law is so muddled in this respect - there IS no right to privacy in the constitution, it was only found in the "Penumbra" of the constitution in Roe v. Wade, which is where the right to privacy really became case law, which is then held up as Constitutional law.
    Yes, I do know. but while the law is muddled, the Constitution is not. Anything not specifically reserved for the Federal government nor denied it is reserved to the States and the People.

Is it that the candidates don't know the constitution, or is it that they saw the ambush and tried to avoid it? After all, Obama is going to need A LOT of help to get elected this go-around. One way to do that, is to drag back up the "No More Coathangers" wedge.
    No, it's that they don't know. And I can handle that, but I can't abide " don't know and don't care". At least, not from a Presidential candidate. Certainly not a *Republican* Presidential candidate and sure as Hell not a whole stage full of them in a Republican Primary debate.

Mitt was on-track when he started out. It's a nonsense issue. None of the States want to do that, so quit wasting our time with these fluff wedge questions. Newt would've hammered that one right out of the park. It was only after that they went off into the weeds. One of these people is gonna be the nominee. If they're this dismissive of what the Constitution says in the Primary, what are they gonna be like in the general election?