Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pats getting spanked!

Senior Member Array title="GodfatherofSoul is a jewel in the rough"> GodfatherofSoul's Avatar

Re: Pats getting spanked!

I'd never seen that replay before. Brady is making an active effort to get to the ball carrier, that makes him block bait. Usually QBs will stand back to protect themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    The day Brady makes a three yard diving tackle from that angle is the day I pick a fight with James Harrison.
    Not really the point...You said that he was out of play when he was obviously not. He was a player 3 yards behind the ball carrier and OBVIOUSLY in pursuit.

Florence saw it was Brady the whole time. He stopped turned, saw other players like Welker in pursuit but chose to hone in on Brady.
    Throwing the BS flag on that....you have no way of knowing that. I stand by my statement that players dont look for individuals when blocking...they are looking for opposing jerseys. That is a fact. If you have some way of proving that Florence KNEW it was Brady I would be happy to hear it.
    Jarius Byrd was smart enough on the play to start to block Brady right between the numbers and then pulled up and looked for someone else
    That is simply not true. Byrd put both hands on Brady (Just like Florence) and only stopped blocking when Brady came to a FULL STOP. The only difference between the blocks by Byrd and Florence was that Brady quit pursuit on the Byrd block so Byrd didnt have to follow through. With Florence...Brady continued pursuit and "flopped" as soon as it was evident that Florence was following through on the block.

Both players legally blocked Brady...there is NO way around it.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    Not really the point...You said that he was out of play when he was obviously not.

Throwing the BS flag on that....you have no way of knowing that. I stand by my statement that players dont look for individuals when blocking...they are looking for opposing jerseys. That is a fact. If you have some way of proving that Florence KNEW it was Brady I would be happy to hear it.

That is simply not true. Byrd put both hands on Brady (Just like Florence) and only stopped blocking when Brady came to a FULL STOP. The only difference between the blocks by Byrd and Florence was that Brady quit pursuit on the Byrd block so Byrd didnt have to follow through. With Florence...Brady continued pursuit and "flopped" as soon as it was evident that Florence was following through on the block.

Both players legally blocked Brady...there is NO way around it.
    For Brady he's out of the play. Do you seriously think he was in any position to make the tackle by the poiint he was hit? Or you yelling at the TV, "Watch out Nick Barnett. Tom Brady is closing in quick!"

Florence comes in from the left side of the screen, pivots, scans the field and then goes after Brady instead of a real threat like Wes Welker. And we're not talking about an obscure player here that wouldn't be immediately recognizeable by number. We're talking about their starting QB.

Based on that evidence, it is reasonable to assume he knew it was Brady.

Byrd doesn't wait for Brady to stop. They're not entangled in a block and Brady gives up and then Byrd moves in. It was a half-second block by Byrd who saw Brady wasn't involved with the play and almost immediately leaves after contact (seriously, time how long the two are engaged). Byrd then looks for an actual threat to block.

Looking at the replay, yeah it was a bad call by the refs. But that wasn't my point. I said it is selfish to even attempt to block Brady in that situation because no good is going to come from it.

For Brady he's out of the play. Do you seriously think he was in any position to make the tackle by the poiint he was hit? Or you yelling at the TV, "Watch out Nick Barnett. Tom Brady is closing in quick!"

Florence comes in from the left side of the screen, pivots, scans the field and then goes after Brady instead of a real threat like Wes Welker. And we're not talking about an obscure player here that wouldn't be immediately recognizeable by number. We're talking about their starting QB.

Based on that evidence, it is reasonable to assume he knew it was Brady.

Byrd doesn't wait for Brady to stop. They're not entangled in a block and Brady gives up and then Byrd moves in. It was a half-second block by Byrd who saw Brady wasn't involved with the play and almost immediately leaves after contact (seriously, time how long the two are engaged). Byrd then looks for an actual threat to block.

Looking at the replay, yeah it was a bad call by the refs. But that wasn't my point. I said it is selfish to even attempt to block Brady in that situation because no good is going to come from it.
    Chidi...I love you brother...but you couldnt be more wrong about this.

You are putting the cart before the horse. You are saying that a player should not make a legal block against a quarterback BECAUSE the refs may make a bad call. And becaue they MIGHT make a bad call...it is selfish to make that LEGAL BLOCK.

That is simply terrible logic.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Yes, I know it's legal, but it if selfish to take the risk. Because what is the gain from it? That you can push the QB in a half-jog to the ground? That you're going to stop him from making the tackle, as if Brady was going to anyway.

There is nothing to gain and everything to lose by doing that.

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

What makes it laughable is Marsha going down like she was shot and the referee calling the penalty on the Bills player for "driving him into the ground", hell when we played 2 hand tap football as kids on the street we shoved harder than that and no one ever hit the ground like that.

Brady's smart for flopping. If you can draw the call, draw it. Definitely had an impact on the call.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Brady's smart for flopping. If you can draw the call, draw it. Definitely had an impact on the call.
    And somehow that is supposed to be good for the game? I'm growing very weary of this "new" NFL. Its starting to look more like soccer than football these days, with receivers and quarterbacks flopping at every turn. Maybe we'll start seeing more 5' 7" 185 pounders play, that will be fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    And somehow that is supposed to be good for the game? I'm growing very weary of this "new" NFL. Its starting to look more like soccer than football these days, with receivers and quarterbacks flopping at every turn. Maybe we'll start seeing more 5' 7" 185 pounders play, that will be fun to watch.
    Flopping has existed in every sport. If there's contact, someone is going to try and flop.

Heck, even though it doesn't mean a whole lot, I was playing NBA 2K12 the other day and it even has a "Flop" button.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Is that hit a penalty?

No.

But it was called. And we all know the REAL reason why. I don't understand how anyone could possibly defend the league on this one.

Anyway, let me tell you what I would have done in that situation. I would have fucking LEVELED Brady, picked him up off the ground, slammed him helemet first into the ground and kept driving my legs. I would have TRIED to hurt that little fucking turd, who has done more to destroy this game by being a selfish, snotty, whining, cheating douchebag piece of garbage since he threw his first TD pass.

Then I would have gone online (since I'd obviously be suspended for the rest of the next 3 seasons) and started a website asking for donations from NFL fans for ending Brady's season and to pay my 450,000 dollar fine. And I would make one billion dollars from fans everywhere sick of that little faggoty piece of shit.
    Fire Goodell

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    Is that hit a penalty?

No.

But it was called. And we all know the REAL reason why. I don't understand how anyone could possibly defend the league on this one.

Anyway, let me tell you what I would have done in that situation. I would have fucking LEVELED Brady, picked him up off the ground, slammed him helemet first into the ground and kept driving my legs. I would have TRIED to hurt that little fucking turd, who has done more to destroy this game by being a selfish, snotty, whining, cheating douchebag piece of garbage since he threw his first TD pass.

Then I would have gone online (since I'd obviously be suspended for the rest of the season) and started a website asking for donations from NFL fans for ending Brady's season and to pay my 450,000 dollar fine. And I would make one billion dollars from fans everywhere sick of that little faggoty piece of shit.
    Are you saying you don't like Marsha?

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Are you saying you don't like Marsha?
    I don't know.... seems like a lovely relationship to me.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Is that hit a penalty?

No.

Then I would have gone online (since I'd obviously be suspended for the rest of the next 3 seasons) and started a website asking for donations from NFL fans for ending Brady's season and to pay my 450,000 dollar fine. And I would make one billion dollars from fans everywhere sick of that little faggoty piece of shit.
    Why don't you tell us how you really feel Suit.

Living Legend Array title="Dino 6 Rings has a spectacular aura about"> Dino 6 Rings's Avatar

Suit with the "Kill Him" post may be the best of the new year!
    SuperBowl Wins - How many does YOUR team have? Steelers 6, 49ers 5, Cowboys 5, Packers 4, Giants 4, Pats 4, Redskins 3, Raiders 3, Broncos 2, Dolphins 2, Colts 2, Ravens 2, Bears 1, Jets 1, Bucs 1, Rams 1, Chiefs 1, Saints 1, Hawks 1

Senior Member Array title="BnG_Hevn has much to be proud of"> BnG_Hevn's Avatar
    Battleball Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    You just don't get it. What the defensive player did was 100% LEGAL!!!!! It was a bullshit penalty. There was nothing even close to illegal about it.
    What he is saying it that IF it can be EVEN SLIGHTLY misconstrued as a penalty, DON'T DO IT. PERIOD.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

I love the game of football.

I despise people or elements that ruin it.

Who besides Gaydy has done more to pussify the sport? Goodell?

If Roger Goodell was on fire, I wouldn't piss on him to put him out, but I would drop him way out in the middle of the Ocean, preferably in heavily shark infested waters with a little chum tossed along for good measure.
    Fire Goodell

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Is that hit a penalty?

No.

Quote Originally Posted by BnG_Hevn View Post
    What he is saying it that IF it can be EVEN SLIGHTLY misconstrued as a penalty, DON'T DO IT. PERIOD.
    This is what Goodell has done to the league.

His incompetence has created a scenerio in which refs have to err on the side of powderpuff football....while REAL players have to NOT make LEGAL plays because its could now be considered..."selfish".

BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is not the kind of football that I grew up with and I WILL NOT capitulate on the matter!!!!!!

-- Jack Lambert --

As I've said in the past, it's commonplace for each generation of fans to think that the current commissioner is ruining the game. Especially when those fans are old enough to see previous regimes.

I'm sure when helmets became mandatory there were people who thought it would ruin the game.

When the close-line tackle was gotten rid of, I'm sure people were upset that Night Train Lane couldn't be as effective and that the league was "targeting" him.

When the headslap was axed, I'm sure people thought it was going to limit defensive lineman too much (like Deacon Jones)

When Rozelle suspended players, I'm sure Bengals fans were upset and felt targeted.

When the five yard chuck was created, specifically said by the league to open up offenses more, people were upset and thought it was "wussifying" the game and making it more offense-friendly.

Wne Taglibue fined players, I'm sure fans said the game was being ruined.

And here we are today.

Does anyone else see the pattern?

As I've said in the past, it's commonplace for each generation of fans to think that the current commissioner is ruining the game. Especially when those fans are old enough to see previous regimes.

I'm sure when helmets became mandatory there were people who thought it would ruin the game.

When the close-line tackle was gotten rid of, I'm sure people were upset that Night Train Lane couldn't be as effective and that the league was "targeting" him.

When the headslap was axed, I'm sure people thought it was going to limit defensive lineman too much (like Deacon Jones)

When Rozelle suspended players, I'm sure Bengals fans were upset and felt targeted.

When the five yard chuck was created, specifically said by the league to open up offenses more, people were upset and thought it was "wussifying" the game and making it more offense-friendly.

And here we are today.

Yes there is a pattern. Let me lay it out for you.

1) Goodell can fine a player for honoring our troops....but tastelessly used our troops to stop the boos and catcalls at the last draft.
    2) Goodell can fine a player for helmet to helmet contact....but refuses to mandate the newer/safer helmets.
    3) Goddell can claim that he is "reforming" the NFL for safety reasons....then pushes for two more games.
    4) Goodell can claim that Rush Limbaugh shouldnt be an owner because of of his "devisive language"....yet had nothing to say about Fergie being an owner even though her lyrics have promoted sexual abuse of women, used the n-word, and promote drug use.
    5) Goodell can fine a player for compassionately letting his wife know (by phone) that he is alright...but lets two ass-clown coaches compare who has the bigger penis on national TV without reprocussion.
    6) Goodell can preach his snakeoil "fairness and player safety” plan....yet he votes against set pensions for retired players.
    7) Goodell can allow "Big Hit" photos and videos to be sold for profit....while fining players for those same hits.
    8) Goodell can summon Aqib Talib to his office over his behavior towards women....while allowing convicted sexual assault criminal Marv Albert to head a broadcast team.
    9) Goodell can claim he represents the fan....while flexing game times (for television revenue) without reimbursement to those fans who missed part (or all) of a game due to a flight conflict, they had scheduled months before.
    10) Goodell fines the Patriots for Spygate...then says that he "doesnt believe" the cheating helped them win championships. All after destroying the evidence, of course.

Yes...there most certainly is a pattern. Goodell is a hypocritical POS....who is more worried about the bottom dollar then he is about the players or the fans.

-- Jack Lambert --

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

It's simple to me, he twice pursued the play. I couldn't give goat flock if he was 10 yards from the ball carrier, he was making a clear attempt to be part of the play, which makes him legal. He knows damn well if chases a ball carrier he is likely to be laid out, quite possibly even his motive in this situation. If he doesn't want to be hit, he can just stand still , stay back out of the play like a lot of other QBs
    Merry Christmas

And here we are today.

Nope, sorry kiddo. You're young and I admire your attention to detail, but I have NEVER complained ONCE in the past about the commish of the NFL, and I lived through a bit of Roselle and Tagliabue. In fact, I can't recall a single knowledgeable friend or acquaintance of mine having a complaint before now, either. This is different. And I know about it in a way you never can, because I experienced it personally and contemporarily...so, nice try, but try again. That dog don't hunt...
    Fire Goodell

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Nope, sorry kiddo. You're young and I admire your attention to detail, but I have NEVER complained ONCE in the past about the commish of the NFL, and I lived through a bit of Roselle and Tagliabue. In fact, I can't recall a single knowledgeable friend or acquaintance of mine having a complaint before now, either. This is different. And I know about it in a way you never can, because I experienced it personally and contemporarily...so, nice try, but try again. That dog don't hunt...
    Being approximately the same age you are (and probably even a little older), I certainly can't recall Rozelle or Tagliabue being such a focal point of league news (for essentially all the wrong reasons) as often as Goodell is. Maybe part of that has to do with the ubiquitous 24-hour news cycle and the Internet, but I don't remember Rozelle or Tagliabue pissing off so many people as often as Goodell does.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Being approximately the same age you are (and probably even a little older), I certainly can't recall Rozelle or Tagliabue being such a focal point of league news (for essentially all the wrong reasons) as often as Goodell is. Maybe part of that has to do with the ubiquitous 24-hour news cycle and the Internet, but I don't remember Rozelle or Tagliabue pissing off so many people as often as Goodell does.
    Rozelle, for all intents and purposes, orchestrated the NFL usurping the MLB as "America's Pastime". Tagliabue just played the role of regent, which was all that was needed. Goodell could have taken that same road, but he basically decided he needed "Hope and Change" and to "Fundamentally transform the nature of the NFL". That has worked out just as piss-poorly as the other idiot who claimed such things.

If it ain't broke, please don't fix it. And what Goodell did was the equivalent of Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor fixing things.
    Fire Goodell

Rozelle, for all intents and purposes, orchestrated the NFL usurping the MLB as "America's Pastime". Tagliabue just played the role of regent, which was all that was needed. Goodell could have taken that same road, but he basically decided he needed "Hope and Change" and to "Fundamentally transform the nature of the NFL". That has worked out just as piss-poorly as the other idiot who claimed such things.

If it ain't broke, please don't fix it. And what Goodell did was the equivalent of Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor fixing things.
    Oh, I agree as far as Goodell goes. IMO, the league has fundamentally declined as a game under his stewardship, but it wasn't always roses under Rozelle and Tagliabue either. I remember the '82 and '87 strikes vividly, and I recall Tagliabue running the league much like Marvin Lewis has run the Bengals in the past as far as discipline goes (next to none). I think Goodell had really good intentions at first, and I actually applauded his efforts to crack down on the Chris Henrys and Pacman Joneses of the league at the beginning of his tenure, but he has since overreached. WAY overreached.

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    Yes there is a pattern. Let me lay it out for you.

1) Goodell can fine a player for honoring our troops....but tastelessly used our troops to stop the boos and catcalls at the last draft.
    2) Goodell can fine a player for helmet to helmet contact....but refuses to mandate the newer/safer helmets.
    3) Goddell can claim that he is "reforming" the NFL for safety reasons....then pushes for two more games.
    4) Goodell can claim that Rush Limbaugh shouldnt be an owner because of of his "devisive language"....yet had nothing to say about Fergie being an owner even though her lyrics have promoted sexual abuse of women, used the n-word, and promote drug use.
    5) Goodell can fine a player for compassionately letting his wife know (by phone) that he is alright...but lets two ass-clown coaches compare who has the bigger penis on national TV without reprocussion.
    6) Goodell can preach his snakeoil "fairness and player safety” plan....yet he votes against set pensions for retired players.
    7) Goodell can allow "Big Hit" photos and videos to be sold for profit....while fining players for those same hits.
    8) Goodell can summon Aqib Talib to his office over his behavior towards women....while allowing convicted sexual assault criminal Marv Albert to head a broadcast team.
    9) Goodell can claim he represents the fan....while flexing game times (for television revenue) without reimbursement to those fans who missed part (or all) of a game due to a flight conflict, they had scheduled months before.
    10) Goodell fines the Patriots for Spygate...then says that he "doesnt believe" the cheating helped them win championships. All after destroying the evidence, of course.

Yes...there most certainly is a pattern. Goodell is a hypocritical POS....who is more worried about the bottom dollar then he is about the players or the fans.
    That had nothing to do with what I posted. Completely irrelevant.

Yes, some of those things you mentioned I completely agree with and are Goodell's fault. But you're telling me that the previous commissioners were squeaky clean? That they were never hypocritical or at the very least, contradicted themselves at times. Never? They went through the game without any problems, just smooth sailing?

And some of those things I would disgaree with or think you're oversimplfying the situation (helmet safety, 18 game schedule, among others).

You don't think there were hits that weren't fined for back in Taglibue's days (despite some players getting fined - see Greg Lloyd's comments on how upset he was about it)?

To me, it's a product of what Eric said. The constant media attention magnifies those flaws tenfold compared to the past.

To be honest, it's unfair to Goodell. He can't win and never really stood a chance.

Andecotedal evidence isn't really the way to go here because I wasn't calling out any one person. I'm saying on the whole, that has probably been said before. Heck, I posted the quote Mel Morgan gave after his suspension in the mid-70s. Almost identical to what a player would say today.

It's just like any older generation thinking the one they grew up in was "the right one" and the way it's "supposed" to be. That applies to anything, family values, music, overall culture.

Let's do a quick illustration of how the 24 hour media cycle has an affect on how we perceive the commissioners. Here, regarding suspensions.

Go to Google and type in "Mel Morgan suspension". Look how many relevant links there are to the Bengals DB getting suspended on the first page. I saw two. On the next two pages, there was one more article, a newspaper article in pdf form.

Now Google "James Harrison suspension". On the first three pages, they're all about the Steeler. Naturally, of course, I wouldn't expect anything different.

But it shows that back then, even in an era with TVs and newspapers, information was a lot more scarce and only came from a few sources. Not a million people being able to rip Rozelle apart from every angle.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Oh, I agree as far as Goodell goes. IMO, the league has fundamentally declined as a game under his stewardship, but it wasn't always roses under Rozelle and Tagliabue either. I remember the '82 and '87 strikes vividly, and I recall Tagliabue running the league much like Marvin Lewis has run the Bengals in the past as far as discipline goes (next to none). I think Goodell had really good intentions at first, and I actually applauded his efforts to crack down on the Chris Henrys and Pacman Joneses of the league at the beginning of his tenure, but he has since overreached. WAY overreached.
    I'm pretty sure NFL fans would've burned Goodell's house down if the league missed any regular season games.

In history, we've seen those strikes (in a short timespan, mind you) in football, World Series canceled in baseball, entire seasons lost in hockey, and chunks of seasons lost in basketball. For Goodell, we've lost one preseason game.

Not too shabby. But he won't get much credit for that.

Only blame.