Thread: Nobody wants to coach at Penn State

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

Nobody wants to coach at Penn State

Penn State's AD recently told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that they have not decided on a coach and will not meet their self-imposed deadline of January 3rd.

This tells me that nobody other than Packers' QB coach Tom Clements; and probably their current interim head coach Tom Bradley actually want the job.

Some Penn State fans think that Penn State is landing a BIG FISH (Nick Saban/Les Miles/Chip Kelly/Bob Stoops type), but I do not think that's the case at all. I don't see why a coach at a big time program would leave to go to Penn State. Their schools would match or beat what Penn State offers them in pay anyhow, so the case of PSU will pay them more doesn't even work.

I think the best thing for them to do is hire either Clements or an up-and-coming mid-major coach who wants his chance to play with the big boys. Someone young who will bring a new energy to Penn State.

Right now, Penn State is underneath a big storm cloud. They covered up a child molester & there is the stigma (true or not) that the head coach of the football team basically ran the school. Even if they could bring in one of the BIG FISH, that would not help the school's current stigma and would lead people to believe that they are just going to go back to the way things were.

If they don't want to go a guy with little or no head coaching experience, they should see if they could talk one of these two into taking the job:

Frank Solich, Ohio University HC - He is a good football coach who led OU to their first ever bowl win last week, and did a good job at Nebraska going 58-20 there. I believe he would recruit well and keep Penn State at least where they currently are in the Big Ten.

Ron Zook: Yeah, his record isn't the best, and he was just fired by Illinois. But he know the conference and he is a very good recruiter. So even if he's brought in to at the least see the program through the civil & criminal lawsuits that are/going to be brought against the school and it's former administrators (and if he does well, making Penn State a top team in the Big Ten he keeps the job), at least the cupboard wouldn't be bare for whoever takes over (the cupboard wasn't left bare for Urban Meyer in Florida, he won a NC with a roster of mostly Zook's recruits).

And whoever the new head coach is, he should be allowed to replace the entire coaching staff if he wants to, Penn State should be willing to break all ties to the Joe Paterno era when it comes to the coaching staff, as long as the new head coach wants to do so.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Senior Member Array title="BlacknGoldBabe has a spectacular aura about">

Re: Nobody wants to coach at Penn State

Excellent points, Nasty. I especially agree with you when it comes to the new head coach being able to replace the entire staff. PS football needs to rebuild their entire image.

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlacknGoldBabe View Post
    Excellent points, Nasty. I especially agree with you when it comes to the new head coach being able to replace the entire staff. PS football needs to rebuild their entire image.
    The entire school needs to rebuild it's image because it now looks like the school was more concerned about protecting the football program than protecting young children from a child predator.

What makes me mad is when Penn State fans say the entire Sandusky scandal has nothing to do with the football program when it has EVERYTHING to do with the football program. If Sandusky was involved in the baseball program, he would have been reported to the police immediately. But he was a former employee of the football team who still represented the football team and held football camps on the Penn State campus where he preyed on the kids who attended his camps.

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

The best hire for Penn State would be Tony Dungy. Big Ten background, his wife is a Pennsylvania native, he's a Super Bowl winning coach, and he would instantly take the stench off the program.

Second best would be Nick Saban. He has a massive ego and an abrasive personality. He would basically come in and not tolerate any thought or mention of the past. He would be the guy to move the program past the scandals. Nick is also local (being from Fairmont), has a Big Ten background, and has a couple of rings to show off to recruits. He also doesn't like to stay anywhere more than 5 years.

Third best would be someone like Mike Price. Create a stripper scandal to push Sandusky out of the headlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    The best hire for Penn State would be Tony Dungy. Big Ten background, his wife is a Pennsylvania native, he's a Super Bowl winning coach, and he would instantly take the stench off the program.

Second best would be Nick Saban. He has a massive ego and an abrasive personality. He would basically come in and not tolerate any thought or mention of the past. He would be the guy to move the program past the scandals. Nick is also local (being from Fairmont), has a Big Ten background, and has a couple of rings to show off to recruits. He also doesn't like to stay anywhere more than 5 years.

Third best would be someone like Mike Price. Create a stripper scandal to push Sandusky out of the headlines.
    I think Dungy would be a great hire, but I doubt he'd take the job. I think he likes working one day a week for Sunday Night Football, and if he were to ever get back into coaching, he would go back to the NFL.

I don't see Saban leaving Alabama. I know he "doesn't like to stay anywhere for more than five years," but I don't see why he would leave a National Championship contender for Penn State. He's basically on top of the mountain right now in 'Bama....leaving that for Penn State is a significant downgrade.

I think at first they kind of wanted to go for the big home run hire, but they've been rebuffed by those guys. Reportedly they have contacted Dungy and Mike Munchak and both said no thanks. So I think they now have to totally shift their search to an up-and-comer instead of a guy with a pedigree.

Quote Originally Posted by BigNastyDefense View Post
    I think Dungy would be a great hire, but I doubt he'd take the job. I think he likes working one day a week for Sunday Night Football, and if he were to ever get back into coaching, he would go back to the NFL.

I don't see Saban leaving Alabama. I know he "doesn't like to stay anywhere for more than five years," but I don't see why he would leave a National Championship contender for Penn State. He's basically on top of the mountain right now in 'Bama....leaving that for Penn State is a significant downgrade.

I think at first they kind of wanted to go for the big home run hire, but they've been rebuffed by those guys. Reportedly they have contacted Dungy and Mike Munchak and both said no thanks. So I think they now have to totally shift their search to an up-and-comer instead of a guy with a pedigree.
    Guys with pedigrees obviously do not want associated with the stigma that hangs over PSU like a black cloud. It seems their only option falls to an up-and-comer with the attitude that he doesn't care what's being touted in the media.

Quote Originally Posted by BlacknGoldBabe View Post
    Guys with pedigrees obviously do not want associated with the stigma that hangs over PSU like a black cloud. It seems their only option falls to an up-and-comer with the attitude that he doesn't care what's being touted in the media.
    Exactly. And I think the reason PSU wanted that big home run hire is because it would take the media's attention off of the Sandusky mess at least somewhat and put it on "Oh, Penn State got Enter-Name-Here" and if they over payed the new media outrage would at least be how much they are paying the coach and not the sick & disgusting things that Sandusky did.

Quote Originally Posted by BigNastyDefense View Post
    Exactly. And I think the reason PSU wanted that big home run hire is because it would take the media's attention off of the Sandusky mess at least somewhat and put it on "Oh, Penn State got Enter-Name-Here" and if they over payed the new media outrage would at least be how much they are paying the coach and not the sick & disgusting things that Sandusky did.
    Yeah, A.K.A. the old "bait and switch."

Penn State Football Coaching Alert: Bill O'Brien Emerging as Leading Candidate

http://www.statecollege.com/news/loc...didate-972783/

I have a feeling that Penn State is going to lose their bowl game today with all the distractions. Between the fight after bowl practice, the entire Sandusky scandal, and the coaching search that has a new "he's our guy" a day rumor/announcement....I just think it's too much.

Just happy to be here!! Array title="Polamalu Princess has a reputation beyond repute"> Polamalu Princess's Avatar

The entire situation is so sad. The guys that are on the team now have to make a new name for themselves and it is going to be a while before the "Stigma" is gone. I do hope they wind today to give the players a boost.

Angel Baby Faith our one and only 1/11/00 - 9/9/16 We love you.