Thread: " Target Gay "

Senior Member Array title="SteelerEmpire has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerEmpire's Avatar

" Target Gay "

I notice Big Harb (Ravens) always aims for a teams weakness on defense. If you noticed the last time we played the Ravens as well as in previous games, Joke Flacco's #1 WR he threw passes to was "whoever" William Gay is covering. I expect the same from lil Harb in the bay this Monday night from advice from big bro. I think Troy should stalk wherever Gay is on the field to perhaps get a pick or two. Just putting this out there BEFORE we wonder why Gay cost's us soo much Monday night and we grab our proverbial "torches and pitch-forks".

Senior Member Array title="Steeltreal will become famous soon enough"> Steeltreal's Avatar

Re: " Target Gay "

Biggest concern is Ted Ginn's ability to take it to the house on KO and punts. Alex Smith cant throw like Flacco consistently anyway.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

If I was an OC, that would be my strategy...always attack the weakest link.
    Fire Goodell

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Torrey Smith smoked Ike earlier on "the drive" too, he simply failed to hold on to it. Just saying...

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

i really think gay is turning his game on big time at the moment and i say throw it at him. this way we will be able too see if he has really step up or not. besides harbs get all their advice from their dad

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Gay despite his improved play still has a reputation he has to shake off. And his reputation is that he's the weak link on the Steelers Defense.

Teams will keep going after him until he proves he can stop it consistently. Simple as that. Even in the Cleveland game where did Colt throw to on his end zone interception? Whoever Gay was covering. Good thing Gay made a big interception, but you could see that the Clowns targeted him looking for an easy Touchdown with Gay in Single coverage.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I didn't exactly see the Ravens moving the ball at will against us with that strategy. It's probably the right idea, and it worked in spots, but I don't see Alex Smith being able to pull that off. That's not the way the 49ers play - Smith can only throw the mid-range 10 to 15-yard passes, and at anything else, he's crap. You can't pick on a DB when the only way your quarterback is effective is if he throws to whichever receiver happens to be in his little blinder zone. Plus, Flacco is one of the best in the game at throwing the 50-yard junkball for pass interference, which the 49ers don't have.

Really, our worries against this team are:

- the LBs and safeties being able to stop the mid-range passes over the middle

- special teams giving up a stupid play

- having a poor matchup that has a safety covering Ted Ginn one-on-one, or a zone scheme that has a linebacker on him for the first 15 yards.

That last one is the one I worry about the most. Since Ginn is usually the third or fourth receiver when he's in, he just makes a killing on bad matchups. He might have sucked as a #1 receiver, but he's fast enough to burn your third CB or a safety, and if you're in soft zone coverage, he'll take a short pass and basically turn it into a punt return.
    See you Space Cowboy ...