Thread: McNabb Reneges on Deal with Kluwe

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

McNabb Reneges on Deal with Kluwe

Douche move by McNabb...

Donovan McNabb never paid punter for wearing his No. 5 jersey

When Donovan McNabb signed with the Minnesota Vikings, he asked longtime punter Chris Kluwe if he could take his No. 5 jersey. McNabb had worn the number since college and wanted to continue the tradition.

Kluwe said yes, with some strings attached. The punter would give McNabb the number he had worn in Minnesota since 2005 provided McNabb did a few things for it. The quarterback would have to mention Kluwe's band, "Tripping Icarus" at least five times in interviews and would donate $5,000 to Kluwe's Kick for a Cure charity.

By the time McNabb was released earlier this month, he has only mentioned the band twice and had yet to donate to the muscular dystrophy charity.

"[Getting the money] would be the major thing," Kluwe told VikingsUpdate.com. "Tripping Icarus got the publicity we needed. That was fine, two mentions is more than enough. The $5,000 for Kick for a Cure would definitely be appreciated."

Read more: Donovan McNabb never paid punter for wearing his No. 5 jersey

Senior Member Array title="SteelerEmpire has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerEmpire's Avatar

Re: McNabb Reneges on Deal with Kluwe

Measure a man by his word.

Senior Member Array title="Nadroj 20 is just really nice"> Nadroj 20's Avatar

Not cool at all. Kluwe is a great guy too! Can't do that McNabb, as you can see the word gets around and now you are a bum.
    "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"
    ~Rest In Peace HometownGal~

Senior Member Array title="BlacknGoldBabe has a spectacular aura about">

What a jag off

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I'm sure McNabb will make good on the donation....he's not an asshole like people want to think he is...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Latin Steel Array title="SMR has a spectacular aura about"> SMR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I'm sure McNabb will make good on the donation....he's not an asshole like people want to think he is...
    I agree with you. I just think McNabb possibly forgot all those conditions. I think he meant well but just forgot to take notes of all those conditions which may seem alot just to wear the jersey number IMHO. I tend to forget things quite a bit and I'm not even 40 yet! Ugh.
    WE are the NFL's All-Time Dynasty!

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

$5k is chump change to McNabb with all the money he has made over his career, he could & should have donated that money the very next day.

Normally when a player comes in via trade or FA and they ask for another player's number....the player asks for an expensive watch, a new car, straight cash homie...something for THEM. All Kluwe really wanted for his number (which is something cherished by many athletes), was for McNabb to make a small (for McNabb) donation to a charity.

If McNabb wants to clear his name, then he should donate $5M instead of $5k.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Senior Member Array title="XxKnightxX has a spectacular aura about"> XxKnightxX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SMR View Post
    I agree with you. I just think McNabb possibly forgot all those conditions. I think he meant well but just forgot to take notes of all those conditions which may seem alot just to wear the jersey number IMHO. I tend to forget things quite a bit and I'm not even 40 yet! Ugh.
    Just like he forgot about overtime rules.

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SMR View Post
    Yeah but getting a number that's you've had since college and is yours is a pretty big deal. I've seen numbers go for way more then that. I thought McNabb got off pretty cheap considering. Imagine Ben having to give up the #7 because the kicker had it. I'd be worth 10's of thousands. I'm sure Donovan will pay the $5k because a) he's probably an OK guy and it's for a good cause and b) $5k isn't worth all the bad press if he doesn't pay it.
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

Quote Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
    Yeah but getting a number that's you've had since college and is yours is a pretty big deal. I've seen numbers go for way more then that. I thought McNabb got off pretty cheap considering. Imagine Ben having to give up the #7 because the kicker had it. I'd be worth 10's of thousands. I'm sure Donovan will pay the $5k because a) he's probably an OK guy and it's for a good cause and b) $5k isn't worth all the bad press if he doesn't pay it.
    Don't forget c) if he ever gets another shot in the NFL, and someone on the team already has #5, they'll tell him to get bent.

Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    Just like he forgot about overtime rules.
    I FORGOT about that, lol.

Senior Member Array title="Nadroj 20 is just really nice"> Nadroj 20's Avatar

If he did forget that is one thing, but he better make it up to them by at least paying what he said he was going to pay.
    "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"
    ~Rest In Peace HometownGal~

Quote Originally Posted by Nadroj 20 View Post
    If he did forget that is one thing, but he better make it up to them by at least paying what he said he was going to pay.
    I agree. He's human like the rest of us, but he should now realize what's happening and keep his word. If he's smart, he'll do just that. If not, well...ya know. LOL.

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Don't forget c) if he ever gets another shot in the NFL, and someone on the team already has #5, they'll tell him to get bent.
    They'll probably tell him that anyways now.

McNabb: Hey man, I really need to get that number up off you. How about $10k?
    Kicker: No way dude. I'm going to be in the league way longer then you and I'm a starter!
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-