Thread: Urban Meyer introduced as Ohio State head coach

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

Urban Meyer introduced as Ohio State head coach

Buckeye fans will all remember this date: 11.28.2011....the day Ohio State officially announced Urban Meyer as head coach of the Buckeyes!

Meyer started his college coaching career as a graduate assistant for the Buckeyes, he is returning home so he can return Ohio State to glory!

OH-IO!

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

Re: Urban Meyer introduced as Ohio State head coach

I feel like this has all been a master plan all along. Probably not, but I think so.

Have success in Florida and then make up some excuse to quit there and go to your home state and alma mater. Then use your name and reputation in Florida to funnel recruits to Ohio State. Plus the good recruits from Ohio too. Seems like a grad plan he had set up for years to me. idk.

Ohio State is about to dominate the Big 10 in football for years to come I bet.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by steeldevil View Post
    I feel like this has all been a master plan all along. Probably not, but I think so.

Have success in Florida and then make up some excuse to quit there and go to your home state and alma mater. Then use your name and reputation in Florida to funnel recruits to Ohio State. Plus the good recruits from Ohio too. Seems like a grad plan he had set up for years to me. idk.

Ohio State is about to dominate the Big 10 in football for years to come I bet.
    Don't they have scholarship issues to deal with over the next 5 or so years?

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    Don't they have scholarship issues to deal with over the next 5 or so years?
    I have no idea. Probably.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Didn't he also say he had no intention on going to Ohio State? I could have swore he said that.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Called it May 5th...

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...ht=urban+meyer

Here is what I don't get. There are already people stating that Meyer can't beat the SEC at OSU. That he won't be able to recruit at OSU like he did at UF. That OSU lacks the talent to compete for titles.

Really?

First off, OSU already has a pipeline for Florida talent. Probably a good 15-20% of their roster the last 5-6 years has been from the sunshine state. Even without Meyer, they are already an NFL factory...I think there are only 1-2 schools that have more players in the NFL. OSU has, without "SEC talent" had an average ending finishing rank of a little over 5 under Tressel. They played in 3, and won one national championship. Why would hiring a BETTER coach (See: 41-14...OSU had the more talented team and Meyer flat-out out coached Tress), who will automatically inherent all the best Ohio talent and EXTEND the recruiting pipleine through the sun belt see WORSE results?

He won't. Bucks hoist another trophy by 2014.
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Suit, what did the NCAA take away from OSU as far as bowl eligibility and scholarships? If any.

Regardless, the Big Ten just got tougher.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Not determined yet...but the AD promised Meyer that they were not losing bowl eligibility...
    Fire Goodell

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    Not determined yet...but the AD promised Meyer that they were not losing bowl eligibility...
    Thats interesting, because the AD has zero control over that. lol

http://www.ohio.com/sports/jason-llo...ching-1.247885

The family is trusting Meyer to live up to the promises he made, Ohio State is trusting that Meyer is recharged and rededicated following his time away and Meyer is trusting that his bosses are being honest with him in terms of NCAA penalties.Meyer is taking this job without hearing yet from the NCAA, which is a bit of a risk. Byron Scott took a similar risk last year, signing on to coach the Cavaliers with no assurance LeBron James was returning. James left and the Cavaliers’ empire crumbled around their coach.

Meyer is confident he won’t relive the sequel.

“That’s where the faith and trust has to come in,” Meyer said. “I have great trust and faith in our athletic director and president.”

Al Golden had that same faith when he took the job at Miami, only to learn later that the administration knew full well about a rogue booster and an NCAA investigation that would rock the program months later. No one bothered telling Golden.

Smith, meanwhile, remains adamant in his belief Ohio State will not receive a bowl ban. He says NCAA history in similar cases shows no precedent for such a harsh penalty. Meyer did a little research of his own, but is basically trusting Smith is correct.
    Fire Goodell

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

At this moment, the NCAA has not announced any penalties added to what Ohio State has already done.

Ohio State has already forfeited all the wins from the 2010 season (including the Sugar Bowl win over Arkansas), the four players that remained at Ohio State served their five game suspensions (with two serving more due to being even bigger jackasses than originally thought), and forced their former head coach to resign (who then changed it to a retirement), and they have given themselves a scholarship reduction of five a season for three seasons.

I don't see the NCAA putting Ohio State on a bowl ban. I think if they were to, they would already have announced that along with anything else they would be doing. They wouldn't announce that Ohio State cannot play in a bowl the season in the middle of December, because they would have already accepted a bowl bid by that time.

What I do see is three years of probation & possibly adding to that scholarship reduction by somewhere between three and five scholarships.

And not all of the players offered scholarships end up playing well, or at all. Some of them never see the field, especially the guys who are the last to receive scholarships in a recruiting class. By having fewer scholarships, they will have to make better choices with the ones they hand out which in the end could be a good thing.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy