Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Penn State Football

Tiger Lion and Steel Array title="SteelCityMan786 will become famous soon enough"> SteelCityMan786's Avatar

Where the lands are a mix of Black and Gold with some Blue and White

Penn State Football

2010 Schedule
    September 4th Youngstown State Noon (Big Ten Network)
    September 11th @ Alabama 7:00 (ESPN)
    September 18th Kent State Noon (ESPN/2)
    September 25th Temple
    October 2nd @ Iowa 8:00 (ABC)
    October 9th Illinois Noon (ESPN/ESPN 2/ABC/BTN)
    October 16th BYE WEEK
    October 23rd @ Minnesota
    October 30th Michigan 8:00 (Probable White Out Game)
    November 6th Northwestern
    November 13th @ Ohio State
    November 20th vs. Indiana (FeDex Field)
    November 27th Michigan State

8-4 or 9-3 sounds like a probable record for this year. The games I say would be the toughest are Alabama, Ohio State, and Iowa.
    Last edited by SteelCityMan786; 06-05-2010 at 10:57 PM.
    786 Ways to score touchdowns

Shenaniguy Array title="kmsteelerwr15 is on a distinguished road"> kmsteelerwr15's Avatar

The record seems about reasonable especially due to having an inexperienced QB, but I can't wait to see the Kent State game as well since I have a former teammate from high school who plays there.

Tiger Lion and Steel Array title="SteelCityMan786 will become famous soon enough"> SteelCityMan786's Avatar

I actually have a former high school teammate who plays for Temple. Should be interesting to see how Temple has developed after being Bowl Bound last year.

Member Array title="psusteelerspens4life is an unknown quantity at this point"> psusteelerspens4life's Avatar

born and raised central pa now putting up with redskin and caps fans
    I got tickets for the Indiana game down here at Fedex field. Its going to be like a home game for us. The record does seem about right for us this year

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

we are...

huh. must be an all caps protector.
    Last edited by SteelMember; 06-01-2010 at 02:55 PM.

Member Array title="psusteelerspens4life is an unknown quantity at this point"> psusteelerspens4life's Avatar

born and raised central pa now putting up with redskin and caps fans
    PENN STATE..

http://altoonamirror.com/page/conten....html?nav=5017

Paterno dealing with the Flu.

HERSHEY - Penn State coach Joe Paterno bowed out a few hours before a scheduled appearance Thursday night at a university alumni event because of a lingering flu bug.

The 83-year-old Paterno has had an intestinal ailment that kept him from attending a similar reception in Pittsburgh two weeks ago as well as Big Ten meetings in Chicago last week.

Offensive coordinator Galen Hall was one of three assistant coaches who took JoePa's place Thursday night as featured guests. Hall said Paterno is slowly getting better and has been working in State College, to the point where Paterno sometimes tries to overdo things.

Paterno held a team meeting earlier this week, and had met Thursday with receivers coach Mike McQueary. Paterno had been planning to attend the publicized event in Hershey, athletic director Tim Curley said.

''He's doing great. I was with him yesterday, he was actually feeling really well yesterday,'' Curley said. ''I was surprised that this afternoon he didn't make it ... He's just having a little problem getting over the hump and getting 100 percent.''

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Re: Penn State Football

Penn State, Nebraska already have a history
    Thursday, June 24, 2010
    By Ron Musselman, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
    Penn State quarterback Kevin Newsome on Nebraska joining the Big Ten: "It makes the Big Ten look pretty good."

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. -- The Big Ten Conference's newest member is an old foe of Penn State.

Nebraska and Penn State have been involved in their share of controversy in the past -- on and off the football field.

In 1994, four years before the Bowl Championship Series system was put into place, the teams finished the regular season undefeated. But the Nittany Lions finished a distant second to the Cornhuskers in both national polls, handing former coach and current athletic director Tom Osborne his first national championship.

In '82, Penn State rallied for a stirring, 27-24 victory against Nebraska in one of the most exciting, yet disputed, regular-season games in Beaver Stadium history.

Todd Blackledge's 15-yard pass to tight end Mike McCloskey near the left sideline in the closing seconds was ruled a completion -- McCloskey later admitted he was out of bounds -- and placed the ball at the 2-yard line.

Blackledge then rifled a low throw to tight end Kirk Bowman, who cradled the ball just above the grass for his second touchdown reception of the game with four seconds left. That dramatic win helped serve as a springboard for the Lions' first national championship under coach Joe Paterno.

Penn State, the last team admitted to the Big Ten before Nebraska's acceptance earlier this month, leads the all-time series, 7-6.

The Cornhuskers, who defected from the Big 12, will begin Big Ten play in 2011. They have captured five national titles to Penn State's two and have crowned three Heisman Trophy winners while the Lions have had one.

Nebraska also is the fourth-winningest program in Division I-A history. Penn State is No. 7.

Penn State's current players, many of whom were not even in kindergarten in 1994, are excited about a potential Penn State-Nebraska matchup, if, and when, that transpires.

"Nebraska's a great program," quarterback Kevin Newsome said. "It makes the Big Ten look pretty good. I'm excited about the chance to play them."

"I think having Nebraska will make us a better conference," wide receiver Justin Brown said.

Nebraska has been Big 12 partners with Iowa State, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma and Kansas State since 1928, with Colorado since 1948 and with Oklahoma State since 1960.

Now, the Cornhuskers must work on building new traditions in the Big Ten. Their 13 previous meetings with Penn State represents their third-highest total among Big Ten teams, trailing only Minnesota (51) and Iowa (40).

"I always felt like Nebraska should have been a Big Ten team before because they fit the mold," tight end Mark Wedderburn said. "Their offensive linemen are huge, they love to run the football and they play like a Big Ten team. So, it's going to be a good fit."

With Nebraska on board, the Big Ten now has 12 teams, but that number could grow through future expansion. As it currently stands, the conference is expected to split up into two six-team divisions, with the winners playing in a Big Ten championship game.

Cornerback Stephon Morris is among the Penn State players who favor a championship game.

"You would get a true champion instead of three teams sharing the No. 1 spot or two teams sharing the No. 1 spot like it is now," he said. "You would have a real Big Ten champion, and that would make it better for the team and the fans as well."

Not surprised
    Penn State's Spanier: Seat increase ‘overdue’
    By Cory Giger, cgiger@altoonamirror.com

Penn State President Graham Spanier understands many fans are upset about the new, more expensive football seating program going into effect in 2011, but he contends the university had no choice but to implement the plan.

"We're overdue on it," Spanier said. "We're especially overdue at Penn State because we're one of just a few universities - you could probably count the number on your fingers - that truly operates intercollegiate athletics on a self-support basis.

"This is important to us at Penn State because I don't want to be in a position where I'm taking money from academic budgets to support athletics."

Spanier's comments were made during an interview that will air today on WHVL-TV's "For the Record" program.

BlueWhite Illustrated publisher Phil Grosz conducted the nearly hourlong interview and agreed, along with WHVL, to share the transcript with the Mirror prior to the broadcast.

Spanier has been relatively quiet about the new Seat Transfer and Equity Plan (STEP) at Beaver Stadium since it was unveiled in November, but he discussed it candidly during the TV interview.

"Sometimes people criticize us for being focused on money when it comes to athletics," he said. "We have to be focused on money; it's like any other aspect of life. There has to be an income side to match the expenditure side. I assure you, we don't do anything very lavishly at Penn State. We're very working-class when it comes to what we do."

Many Nittany Lion fans are working-class, as well, and will feel the pinch in their pocketbooks with the new STEP plan.

For years, Penn State season-ticket holders have had to make an upfront minimum contribution of $100 per seat to the Nittany Lion Club to be eligible to purchase season tickets. Starting in 2011, the minimum contribution will increase to $400 for most seats from the goal lines to the 30-yard lines, and to $600 for most seats between the 30s.

A fan with four seats near midfield who has been paying $400 in Nittany Lion Club dues will see that price jump to $2,400.

"We can't afford that," said 84-year-old Jim Williamson from Bellwood, a 1946 PSU graduate and season-ticket holder since 1960. "It's just not possible. On our income, we can't do it."

This fall will be the final season, therefore, that Williamson buys his four season tickets.

"I hear a lot of people say, 'I'm not going to renew my tickets,'" Williamson said. "I know there are a lot of people waiting for tickets, but it's going to be interesting to see if they can maintain about 110,000 there for games.

"They're just taking a big bite out of everybody. I don't understand it. It's to hell with everybody. If you can't afford it, get out."

Some seats cheaper

Season-ticket holders still can purchase tickets for the $100 minimum contribution, but they will have to move to other parts of the stadium.

"I won't move," said Williamson, whose seats are in section WF near the 35-yard line. "I picked those seats out in 1960, and I'm not going up in the end zone. That's the dead zone."

Spanier addresses many fans' issues during his TV appearance.

"One of the concerns that we've heard in a number of letters is that, because people have been loyal - they've been coming to games for a lot of years and they've had the same seats for a lot of years - that we owe it to them to keep them in those seats for the lowest possible price and that they should somehow be exempt from participating in the program," Spanier said.

"That's been one of the issues. We really can't have an imbalance like that, where a person is paying one price and the person in the seat next to you is paying another price. I know that might happen in the airlines, but I don't think that would fly in a football stadium too well."

Spanier knows other changes may not fly well with fans.

"We've also had concerns about people who have been together for many years in one spot, and they've developed camaraderie," he said. "We understand that. We will try to keep people together and facilitate that, but they have to be willing to pay the new price of those seats.

"A lot of the mail we've received is from people who are worried that if they can't pay the higher price then they're out for good.

"That's not true. There's a solution for everybody. They might have to move to a different part of the stadium where the ticket price is closer to what they're accustomed to paying. Nobody gets kicked out for that reason."

Cost of athletics rise

Why is Penn State implementing this new plan? Simple.

As coach Joe Paterno frequently says, the school has to pay the bills.

And the bills are very expensive.

"The cost of administering intercollegiate athletics goes up all the time," Spanier said. "We try to give salary increases to our coaches. While we don't pay exorbitantly at Penn State, we want to be competitive.

"The cost of travel, health care, employee benefits, everything keeps going up. So to keep up on the revenue side, we have to figure out ways to bring income into the university."

As the school does that, some fans are figuring out that they don't want to be counted on to pay for everything.

"They're holding the season-ticket holders hostage yet again," said Eric Reinke of Clearfield, a season-ticket holder for nearly 20 years. "That's been happening for years, but now it's even more so."

Reinke will not be renewing his season tickets in 2011, and the price is only part of his reasoning. He believes there are too many home games overall, as well as too many unappealing games against weaker opponents.

"There's going to be a surplus of tickets for most games except the most desirable ones," said Reinke, who believes he can pick and choose individual games much cheaper.

Others charge more

Most other Big Ten schools have been operating with similar seating plans, and Spanier noted, "We're actually one of the last major universities with a significant sports program to go to a program like STEP."

Even with roughly $20 million a year coming in from TV contracts, Spanier pointed out extra funds are needed to pay for the school's 29 varsity sports and to upgrade athletic facilities on campus. Like most other major universities, football pays most of the bills at Penn State.

"I don't want to see us in a position where we have to eliminate sports," Spanier said.

Sports self-supporting

Another major concern, he added, is the possibility of the athletic department someday being unable to pay for itself.

"We want to do athletics right, but you do have to pay the bills to have a first-class athletic program," Spanier said. "It all comes together. I'm very proud of it. But we do have to keep up with the right balance.

"Income, expenditures, opportunities for athletics - if the state support of the university does not keep up, we have more and more of a burden on the tuition side. So tuition increases every year, and athletics has to pay the full tuition for a student who is on a scholarship."

Penn State waited much longer than other major programs around the country to increase season-ticket contribution limits, and school officials believe a further delay would not be fiscally responsible.

"We have to find ways to keep up," Spanier said, "and the STEP program is a part of it."

Mirror Staff Writer Cory Giger can be reached at 949-7031 and cgsports12@aol.com

---------------------------------------

OTHER HIGHLIGHTS OF SPANIER'S INTERVIEW:

On whether Joe Paterno's successor will come from in-house:

"If and when Joe ever retires, I think we have to take a look at the big picture at the time and pick the best person who would work for Penn State. It could be somebody within Penn State, somebody with ties to Penn State or it could be somebody from outside Penn State who wouldn't even be on our radar screen. It's probably something that the athletic director thinks about from time to time. In the end, he and I would work together for a happy ending."

(Continued)

-------------------------------

On escalating coaching salaries in college football:

"I don't like it all. We're not going to pay two million or four or five million. I'm sorry, I don't care who it is. That's just something we're not going to do at Penn State. We want to pay people fair salaries. We don't want our coaches standing in a bread line or whatever they call it. We want to pay people fair salaries. But this is Penn State. Whatever we pay people has to come out of that self-support fund in athletics. We do have that pressure. I don't understand what it means to pay somebody five million dollars a year. What are you expecting out of that? I assure you, there are a lot of people, a lot of very talented people who would be thrilled to be the head coach in any sport at Penn State. We will treat everyone fairly, but if someone has unreasonable expectations, then we would go with someone who has more reasonable expectations."

On the BCS and a possible playoff in college football:

"I was one of the creators of the BCS and have been on the oversight board since its creation. I'm very happy to not have too much publicity on that, because it just increases my mail. I think the BCS has been good for college football. It does work, despite what some critics might say. I think it's the best mechanism we have out there to match up the No. 1 and No. 2 teams at the end of the season. To have this very positive thing in the eyes of a lot of people which is a game to determine a national champion.

"There's not going to be a playoff. It's just not going to happen. The presidents of our universities are not going to go for it. I'm not just talking about a few of us on the BCS board. I'm talking about Division I-A major college football school presidents, 120 or so of us are not inclined to go in that direction. Sports writers and fans can debate this all they want. There's so much attention on the BCS, as if talking about it and debating it more and more makes it more likely that something will change. Some people say, let's just go to four teams, then we'll go to eight, then eight will go to 16. Then we'll end up with an NFL-style playoff. Everybody knows where it will head if we go beyond the two teams. And we just don't want to head in that direction."

On why he likes the BCS format:

"I think there are a lot of reasons. One is that a lot of us believe that putting more emphasis on postseason play de-emphasizes in-season play. If you go to a playoff, let's say that Penn State's share is a million dollars, a lot of money. We have several million dollars of income for each home game that we have. Keeping our stadium full and having people interested in our games during the season is far more valuable to us and the community around us than any incremental share of revenue that we'd have from a postseason. Generally, we have intense interest in every game during the season.

"The current system that we have in place is one of the best. We're very concerned about the growing emphasis on winning at the end of the season. It's a great thing to go to a bowl game with the atmosphere there. When you start getting into a playoff-type format when you have four, eight or 16 teams ... we are worried about the academic calendar and the toll on the athletes physically. The competition with academics. The basketball situation works pretty well and people like the postseason play. But if you look at attendance and other things during the season, the interest in each game, TV contracts ... we think there a lot of reasons and not just one specific reasons.

On Big Ten expansion:

"I'm very involved in the discussions. ... We have not concluded that we will expand or that we want to expand, but we think it's prudent as things are shifting around the country and will continue to shift, we need to be out in front and looking at whether it makes sense for the Big Ten, whether or not it would work. We'll continue to look at it. The presidents meet and talk from time to time to think through this. We'll work with our commissioner, Jim Delany, on the question. There are a lot of different aspects to it, and of course it does have to work financially.

"People will say it's going to be about money. Well, yes and no. Of course, it has to be about money because we do depend very heavily on Big Ten revenue we don't want to see those decline. At the same time, it's about the fit of various institutions, it's about what would be good for the conference. It's about whether you could really even pull it off. It's a very complicated business with media contracts, the academic reputations of universities. If someone were to move from one conference to another, that's a very tricky business. There would be a transition period of anywhere from a year or two to several years, depending on the conference. There's a lot of different things to look at. There's certainly been no decision, I can tell you that."

On the Big Ten Network's success:

"I envisioned that it would be successful, and I knew it would be good for the university because of the income stream from it was guaranteed. I didn't realize it would be this successful this quickly. I thought it would take a little longer. It's a real credit to our Big Ten staff, especially the Big Ten Network staff."

On the basketball programs:

"I think we've had great success across the board at Penn State. There's no reason why we can't enjoy that type of success in men's and women's basketball. We've seen some flashes of success in men's basketball. I have great hopes as we move ahead. We have a great coach right now in Ed DeChellis. He does everything right at Penn State. We were disappointed, I was, along with everyone else, in the type of season. It was disappointing. No one cares more than Ed does. He's going to work on it. We're going to give him all the support we can to improve basketball and have the kind of long-term success we've enjoyed in some of the other sports."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10183/1069967-100.stm

Penn State lands DE recruit
    Friday, July 02, 2010

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. -- Penn State finally has another verbal commitment for its 2011 recruiting class.

Shawn Oakman, a 6-foot-8, 250-pound defensive end from Penn Wood High School in Landsdowne, Pa., has chosen the Nittany Lions over Pitt and Temple.

Oakman, rated a four-star prospect by Rivals.com, had 17 sacks in 11 games as a junior. He also is a standout basketball player.

Close to 30 players have received scholarship offers from the Lions for next season, but Oakman is just second player to commit to Penn State.

And he is the first since tight end Kyle Carter from New Castle, Del., committed in late May.

Eighth Annual Penn State Uplifting Athletes "Lift For Life" Raises Record Total Of More Than $98,000
    Three Thousand attendees see team of Brackett, Crawford, Hodges and Zordich claim title

July 10, 2010

UNIVERSITY PARK, PA., July, 10 2010 - Despite sweltering conditions in Holuba Hall, the Eighth Annual Penn State Uplifting Athletes "Lift For Life" was a huge success drawing more than three thousand fans and raising a record total of $98,461.35 to benefit the Kidney Cancer Association.

The record total was nearly $16,000 more than was raised last year and a far cry from the $13,000 raised in the events first year in 2003. Thanks to generous sponsors, fans and the participating Nittany Lion football players, "Lift For Life" has now raised an eight-year total of nearly $500,000 for the Kidney Cancer Association.

In heat and humidity that made this year's competition one of the most taxing in the events history, the team of OH Jersey claimed first place behind the efforts of wide receiver Brett Brackett, defensive end Jack Crawford, linebackers Gerald Hodges and Michael Zordich. The team of We Pay To Play comprised of running back Derek Day, cornerback Evan Lewis, defensive end Brian Irvin and safety Kyle Johnson was second while team Shutter Island: Ward C made up of tackle Mike Farrell, cornerback Andrew Goodman, defensive end Pete Massaro and linebacker Mike Yancich was third.

The 2010 Uplifting Athletes officers include Brackett (Lawrenceville, N.J.) as President and newcomers Farrell (Pittsburgh), Ty Howle (Wake Forest, N.C) and Yancich (Washington) taking over as Vice President, Head of Operations and Secretary, respectively. A chapter record 22 additional Nittany Lions devoted their time and effort into making the 2010 Lift for Life the best to date. More than 80 Nittany Lion football student-athletes tested their strength and endurance in the 11-event strength and conditioning challenge and then greeted fans and signed autographs for those in attendance. Founded by Penn State Football teammates in 2003, Lift For Life has continued to build awareness and raise funds for the Kidney Cancer Association. The event is organized by Penn State Football Uplifting Athletes SM, whose members are on the Penn State football team, led by Brackett, president of the chapter.

"Uplifting Athletes SM is a group of Penn State football players working together in an attempt to raise awareness and funds for rare diseases," said Brackett, who will be a senior wide receiver this fall. "These rare diseases affect fewer than 200,000 Americans and consequently little attention is paid to them. As college football student-athletes, we believe we are in a position to make a difference. Lift for Life is one way a small group of people can make a big impact on the lives of others."

For more information about Penn State Football Uplifting Athletes SM or the Penn State Football Lift for Life, or to make a tax-deductible contribution, please visit http://www.upliftingathletes.org or contact Deloris Brobeck at 814-865-1946 during business hours. Uplifting Athletes, Inc. is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that operates as a national charter and serves as a uniting force to help change the perception of rare diseases.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-...071010aaa.html

Penn State to play Syracuse at Meadowlands in 2013
    June 30, 2010 - From Penn State Sports Information

UNIVERSITY PARK -- A traditional college football rivalry will resume in 2013 when Penn State and Syracuse will clash at the New Meadowlands Stadium.

Penn State Director of Athletics Tim Curley, Syracuse Director of Athletics Dr. Daryl Gross and CEO of New Meadowlands Stadium Company Mark Lamping announced today that the New Meadowlands Stadium will host the Nittany Lions and Orange on August 31, 2013 in the first of a three-game series.

The longtime rivals also are working to finalize an agreement to play in 2020 and 2021. Syracuse will play at Beaver Stadium on September 19, 2020 and the Nittany Lions will visit the Orange on September 18, 2021. ?

"We are thrilled about the opportunity to play Syracuse at the New Meadowlands Stadium to open the 2013 season," Curley said. "I was very impressed when I visited the complex earlier this year and it will quickly be recognized as one of the nation's premier sports facilities. We have had a long relationship with Syracuse and the Meadowlands and are excited about playing the Orange and returning to the site of many memorable Penn State games. This game will provide a great opportunity for some of our players to play close to home and for our fans and the 40,000 Penn State alumni in metropolitan New York City to see the Nittany Lions play in person."

Penn State and Syracuse have met 70 times previously, the second-highest total for a Nittany Lion opponent. Penn State owns a 42-23-5 series advantage, winning contests during the 2008 and '09 seasons in the first meetings since 1990. The teams met every season from 1944-90.

Penn State has an 8-3 record in games played at the Meadowlands, with the last contest coming against Southern California in the 2000 Kickoff Classic. Starting with a 1979 game vs. the Orange, the Nittany Lions also have played Nebraska, Texas, Rutgers, Georgia Tech and Temple at the Meadowlands.? "We look forward to continuing our long term series with Penn State," Gross said. "Playing a neutral site game in the New Meadowlands versus Penn State was the impetus for a longer series."

Penn State will clash with Alabama this season and in 2011. The Nittany Lions will play Virginia in 2012 and '13 and Rutgers in 2014 and '15. During the past decade, Penn State has had non-conference series with Miami (Fla.), Nebraska, Virginia, Boston College and Notre Dame, in addition to Syracuse.

"The Meadowlands has long sustained a rich history with college football, and we look forward to welcoming Syracuse and Penn State - two powerhouse programs -and their respective fans to the new Stadium in 2013," Lamping said. "This longstanding match-up comes highly anticipated, and we expect a memorable game that will only add to our growing tradition."

The New Meadowlands Stadium sets the standard for venue excellence, with state-of-the-art technology, comfort and amenities. With a full seating capacity of 82,500 the New Meadowlands Stadium is the third-largest stadium in the National Football League. Highlights include four massive 30' X 118' HD video display boards in each of the stadium corners; a 48" X 1810' ribbon board that circles the interior bowl; 2100 + HD Monitors throughout the stadium; and 20 HD video pylons ranging in size from 20' X 40' to 20' X 60'.

Outside the stadium, a 350,000-square-foot outdoor plaza will boast fan-centric activities and pregame entertainment zones. The new stadium will have numerous restaurants, wider concourses and more HD square footage than any other stadium in North America. A signature amenity of the stadium is the brand new rail line that drops off passengers directly in front of the stadium.

Nittany Lions land 'big' verbal
    July 3, 2010 - By Philip Cmor,sports@altoonamirror.com

With all the concern Penn State fans had about their school's stagnant football recruiting efforts through June, the Nittany Lions began July with a big verbal commitment.

Big, as in 6-foot-9, 245-pound Shawn Oakman.

Oakman, who totaled 17 sacks last year from his defensive end spot for Penn Wood High School in Delaware County, made a surprise oral pledge to the Lions Thursday. He chose Penn State over Temple and Pitt.

The Lions had been considered the early favorite to land Oakman, but, recently, speculation had the Panthers moving into the lead after a recent Oakman visit to Pitt.

"I couldn't be happier," Oakman told the Philadelphia Inquirer. "It came down to what I thought what college should be and also what college coach was going to push from being good to being great. I think Coach [Larry] Johnson and Coach [Ron] Vanderlinden can do that. That's why I choose Penn State.''

The Lions only had one verbal commitment before Oakman announced his decision. New Jersey defensive tackle Marquise Wright - once considered to be leaning heavily to Penn State - recently became the latest in a string of high-profile recruiting targets to pick other schools.

Penn State is believed to have 15-18 scholarships available for this recruiting class.

UConn, North Carolina State, South Carolina and Rice also had scholarship offers on the table for Oakman, who, as a junior, made the Inquirer's all-southeastern Pennsylvania second team as a defensive lineman after making more than 130 tackles. Penn Wood was 8-4 and held half of its opponents to single digits.

Although close to 250 pounds, Oakman still looks very thin and has plenty of room to fill out. While it appears he'll be looked at on defense first, there are some who feel his future might be as an offensive tackle.

"With the strides he's made in the last 12 months, I can't wait to see the strides he'll make in the next 12 months," Penn Wood coach Sam Mormando said to the York Daily Record in April.

Oakman's agility adds to his upside. He was also a key player on the Patriots' PIAA Class AAAA basketball finalist teams the last two seasons. Penn State and Rice reportedly were recruiting him in both sports.

Penn State gets verbal from DE
    July 8, 2010 - By Philip Cmor pcmor@altoonamirror.com

It's common for college football programs to invite potential recruits to be guests at home games, but the only time Jordan Kerner attended a Penn State game, he did it as a guest of his father, watching the Nittany Lions beat Syracuse early last season from the Beaver Stadium bleachers.

"If someone would have told me two years ago I'd have a chance to play at Penn State,'' Kerner said, "I wouldn't have believed them.''

Someone can pinch Kerner now.

The fast-rising defensive end prospect from Fairview High School in Erie County will be getting up close and personal with Beaver Stadium a lot in the future. The 6-foot-5, 225-pound Kerner on Wednesday morning called Nittany Lion recruiting coordinator Mike McQueary to tell him he was committing to Penn State over Iowa, making him the third member of the Lions' 2011 recruiting class.

"Being close to home helps my friends and family come down and watch me play. I want them to be able to watch me,'' Kerner said. "Distance from home was a big factor.''

Kerner joins Penn Wood defensive end Shawn Oakman and Delaware tight end Kyle Carter in this class. Kerner also had scholarship offers from Maryland, Boston College, Rutgers, West Virginia and Minnesota before he visited University Park for a camp last week to audition before the Nittany Lion coaches.

That's when Penn State offered him, and, essentially, ended the recruiting process for him.

"I've always been more for Penn State, so, when they offered me, I wanted to commit right there,'' Kerner said. "I wanted to commit right there, but I thought I should take a week [just to be sure].''

Kerner was first-team all-District 10 and second-team all-state last year after making 90 tackles and nine sacks for the 6-5 Tigers. He is the first big-time Division I recruit to come out of his high school since offensive lineman Jeff Lewis signed with West Virginia a dozen years ago.

While Kerner was being recruited as a defensive end by all the colleges involved with him, he plays fullback and linebacker at Fairview. He can do that because he runs the 40-yard dash in 4.67 seconds.

"He has size and speed,'' said Jerry Lightner, who just retired as football coach at Fairview after 11 years but remains the athletic director there and also has a decade's experience as a college coach at Gannon. "He got called up to varsity as a ninth grader to play special teams. He ended up starting at fullback. You could tell he had a chance to be something special.''

Lightner said Kerner, who he remembers as a "gangly kid who took to weightlifting and weightlifting took to him'' in junior high, also carries a GPA in the 3.9 range while taking advanced courses in preparation for an engineering major in college.

"He's pretty gifted. The season before last he was the regional champion in the 200-meter dash. He runs the 100 and 200 and plays the saxophone in the jazz band,'' Lightner said. "He's a well-rounded kid.''

Maryland was the first college to offer Kerner.

"I was really surprised,'' Kerner said.

Kerner also likes to play recreational basketball - he used to be on the team at Fairview - and video games in his spare time. He's been playing football since fifth grade.

"I was trying a bunch of different things to see what I liked: soccer, baseball,'' Kerner said. "I even did swimming.''

An Oakland Raiders fan whose favorite pro players are Julius Peppers and Brian Urlacher, Kerner said the Penn State coaches would like to eventually see him play at 260 pounds. He was contacted by Carter when he got his scholarship offer and now is looking to help Carter bring in more recruits for the Lions.

"Now I feel like I am part of the team,'' Kerner said, "so I want to help get the best players we can.''

What a catch: PSU's Brackett gives his all for charity group
    July 9, 2010 - By Cory Giger, cgiger@altoonamirror.com

Brett Brackett will leave Penn State with one of the most impressive statistics of any receiver in school history.

The savvy, polite, well-spoken senior from New Jersey hasn't had the kind of breakout moments he had hoped for on the field, but his charity work off the field has made him as valuable as any member of the Nittany Lions.

Brackett is in his third year as president of PSU's chapter of Uplifting Athletes, which today will host the annual Lift for Life fundraising event. During Brackett's presidency, and with the help of dozens of other players volunteering, Penn State has raised $155,000 for the Kidney Cancer Association.

Today's event is expected to generate at least $70,000, bringing the total under Brackett's tenure to more than $200,000.

"I'm astonished at how big it's grown and how much it's really been ingrained in what we do here at Penn State," Brackett said. "More and more people see me during the season and say, 'When is Lift for Life?'"

Brackett has a lot of help -- 24 other PSU players are currently involved with Uplifting Athletes -- but his leadership has been the driving force that's helped the chapter reach new heights in recent years.

"What he's been able to do is get the other guys on the team to buy into it," said former PSU player Scott Shirley, who founded Uplifting Athletes eight years ago.

"He's very well organized and very motivated. And he does a great job of taking care of business and then having fun and not letting the two interfere with each other. The guys who are involved with it enjoy being involved with it, and he doesn't waste anybody's time either."

Brackett got involved in Uplifting Athletes as a freshman, when the PSU chapter was run by Jason Ganter and Kevin Suhey.

"They told me why they were doing it and what causes it helped and how much it could help you," Brackett said.

"I like getting involved with community service and giving back to people, and using this position you can give back to people that are less fortunate than yourself. I think I maybe I learned that from my father, who was a volunteer fireman for many years."

Brackett also had an eye toward the future. He did what every college student should do, which is get involved in projects that can benefit them after graduation.

"It helped me because I knew I was going to be a business major, and the hands-on, real-life business experience you can gain from this is really unbelievable," Brackett said. "It's really helpful in looking for a job because we have a tough time finding internships."

Brackett's responsibilities include everything from recruiting volunteers and running meetings to handling all the advertising and promotions for Uplifting Athlete events.

"It's really a great learning experience," he said. "It's invaluable.

"The older I get and more I talk to people out in the business world, the more it really does relate very well. And I think the skills that I've learned translate very well into the business world."

Lift for Life draws hundreds of fans and is by far the largest fundraising event each year for Uplifting Athletes. The Penn State players break into four-man teams and compete in grueling weightlifting drills.

The event is one of the best opportunities each year for fans to get up close and personal with the players as they can get autographs and even chat with members of the team.

"The amount of people at the event and the way that's evolved and the money that's raised has continually increased, and the awareness has just gotten bigger and bigger," Brackett said. "Just being able to see it grow in the four years I've been here has been unbelievable. I never would have imagined how big it's gotten."

Shirley did.

"It's kind of funny because, when we started this, we were 20 years old," Shirley said. "At that age, you're just so wide-eyed anyway. But we always had very high expectations for it."

Shirley's father died of kidney cancer, so the cause has always been near and dear to him. He knew Uplifting Athletes could become a successful fundraising group as long as one thing happened.

"Whenever we started this eight years ago, one of our concerns was transitioning the leadership," Shirley said. "We've done it successfully now four times in the eight years, and it just continues to get better with each new group.

"We realized that football players are in a position to make a difference. The potential impact of that has always been really the motivation behind this."

Uplifting Athletes now has chapters at Ohio State, Maryland, Boston College, Northwestern and Colgate, and Shirley's goal is to keep expanding to other schools.

"Three years ago is when we felt like the model at Penn State that we had been working on was to a point where we could start to replicate it, and that's when I took it on full time," Shirley said.

"We're in a great position now where each one of those schools adopts a rare disease that's relevant to them, just as kidney cancer is relative to the Penn State family."

The old college try: Shirley, PSU football team change lives of cancer patients
    Commentary
    July 10, 2010 - By Cory Giger cgiger@altoonamirror.com

UNIVERSITY PARK - College is often said to be the greatest time in a person's life. When Scott Shirley was in college at Penn State, he began working to help save people's lives and ensure that they could live to enjoy great times for many more years.

Shirley's story has been well documented over the years. He was a receiver on the Penn State football team whose father had been diagnosed with kidney cancer, so he founded a nonprofit, student-run organization to raise money to fight the disease.

Seven years later, Shirley watched with great pride as his brainchild took center stage Friday during Penn State's popular Lift for Life fundraising event. The PSU chapter of his Uplifting Athletes organization has now raised nearly half a million dollars, and Nittany Lion football players have become heroes to kidney cancer patients.

Shirley admits he always had high hopes for the organization, but it took one fascinating turn of events in Chicago in 2004 for him to truly understand how much of an impact Uplifting Athletes could make.

"We were about to send a check for $40,000 to the Kidney Cancer Association, and none of us had ever met anybody there," Shirley said.

Shirley, Uplifting Athletes co-founder and PSU teammate David Costlow and their friend, Carolyn Konosky, decided to take a trip to Chicago for a kidney cancer convention. They rented a car, left State College at 2 a.m. and drove 10 hours through the night.

"We were about an hour away from Chicago and got a call from our contact there to ask if we were still coming," Shirley said. "We said, 'Yeah, why?' And she said, 'Well, it's our biggest patient conference of the year, and our keynote speaker just canceled. So we were wondering if you guys could say something.' I said, 'Of course.'"

Shirley turned on his laptop computer in the back seat, quickly prepared a PowerPoint presentation and finished just before getting to the hotel. The three college students pulled right up, got valet parking and were rushed inside to the convention.

"They ushered us right up on the stage," Shirley said. "We hadn't even met anybody yet, and there we were on stage standing in front of all these kidney cancer patients, all these doctors."

They gave a 10-minute presentation, discussing the money the Penn State football team had raised for kidney cancer and the vision for the future of Uplifting Athletes.

"We were interrupted three times by a standing ovation," Shirley said. "After the fact, the doctors were moved to tears, and we had people telling us that they had never been so inspired with hope because they live in a world where they're usually told that nothing could be done.

"Then walk in three kids off the Penn State campus that have plenty of other things on their minds saying, 'We haven't met any of you, but this is what we're doing.'"

Shirley had always been committed to the cause, in large part to help his own father battle the disease. But that weekend in Chicago changed everything for him and Costlow.

"That's when we realized it was almost our responsibility to take advantage of this position we were in," Shirley said. "It's something we'd always talked about, but I don't think we realized how real that was and how much of a difference we were making.

"After that conference, we were getting thank you letters and e-mails from children of people who were at that conference saying, 'I haven't seen my mother or my father this happy in a long time.'"

Shirley's father, Don, died of kidney cancer in 2005. When he originally was diagnosed, Scott said, there was only one FDA-approved treatment for the disease that provided a 10 percent chance to survive for five years.

"Since we started this program, there have been six new treatments brought to market, with another one right around the corner," Shirley said. "So the outlook for kidney cancer patients has changed dramatically."

Uplifting Athletes now has chapters at five other schools - Ohio State, Maryland, Boston College, Northwestern and Colgate - and Shirley is devoted to it on a full-time basis trying to help it grow even more.

At the heart of the success is the Penn State football team. Players buy into Shirley's vision and give their time and energy to work hard to increase awareness for kidney cancer, which affects about 200,000 Americans.

Lift for Life is always the most grueling workout of the year for the players, but they all say it's worth it.

"It's awesome to be able to be out there and work for the cause," linebacker Chris Colasanti said.

"Participating in this is just amazing," linebacker Nate Stupar said. "I get so many letters during the year that say, 'We saw the wristbands you were wearing during the games [to generate awareness],' and everywhere we go that means so much to them."

Most kids go to college to better themselves and to help prepare them for the so-called real world.

That world is now a lot more bearable for people afflicted with kidney cancer, thanks to the efforts of Shirley and the Penn State football program.

PSU notebook: Paterno on beach vacation, health now improved
    July 10, 2010 - By Cory Giger, cgiger@altoonamirror.com

UNIVERSITY PARK -- Joe Paterno is vacationing at the beach, as he does most years at this time, and there's no concern inside the Penn State program that the iconic coach's recent health problems will keep him out of action this fall.

"We're not worried," Nittany Lion guard Stefen Wisniewski said. "We know he's a tough old guy, and he's not going to slow down."

Paterno has been slowed this summer by intestinal issues that forced him to cancel three speaking engagements. But he's doing just fine now, son Jay Paterno said.

"I've got a friend of mine that's got a place two blocks from his and texted me and said he's everywhere," said JayPa, PSU's quarterbacks coach. "He's out on the beach, he's running for ice cream with the grandkids and the whole nine yards.

"As long as he's still got that ornery streak and he's calling me and telling me what we need to do, I know he's OK."

The 83-year-old coach attended a team meeting last week, and Wisniewski said, "He looked good."

"We heard that we was out sick for a little while," he added. "But we see him, and he's just as fiery as ever, telling guys to go to class and do all the things they should be doing."

SUBHD: QB time frame

Jay Paterno said the four-man quarterback competition between sophomores Kevin Newsome and Matt McGloin and freshmen Paul Jones and Robert Bolden will whittle itself down pretty quickly when preseason camp starts early next month.

"We'll have a scrimmage probably within a week or so [of starting camp] and try and see if three of them separate themselves from the other one," he said. "Then after the second scrimmage we'll try and focus on two guys."

That's the plan for now, and Jay Paterno said the coaching staff will be flexible and "adjust as we go."

"We're eight weeks from the game [today], and when we get into preseason camp, we've only got a couple of weeks," JayPa said. "So we can't afford to work four guys all the way up to game time because you won't get anybody ready. There would be a bunch of guys that had some reps, but none of them would be ready to go."

The coaches will have a good feel about where the top two guys stand around 10 days to go before the Sept. 4 opener against Youngstown State. But no matter who starts, that doesn't mean he's necessarily won the job for the long haul.

"Once we get to game week, we should have a pretty good idea who's going to take the first snap," Paterno said. "Maybe we play two guys. I mean, who knows. There's a lot of things that can play out in this."

SUBHD: No Newsome at LFL

Newsome skipped Friday's Lift for Life event so he could attend a family function. McGloin took part in the workout, as did Jones.

McGloin, who has shown no lack of confidence in a few interviews this year, said he considers the competition between him and Newsome to be even at this point. He also said he expects to split first-team reps in camp and believes he will have every opportunity to win the job.

SUBHD: Reality sets in

Junior receiver Derek Moye, who enjoyed a breakout season in 2009 with a team-high 48 catches, was candid when asked what it's like for high school stars to come in and sit the bench early on in college.

"It's definitely humbling, and frustrating at the same time," Moye said. "I kind of thought, like every high school athlete coming in here, just that you'll come in and be that starter, that guy who tears it up and is going to be a star, leave after you're allowed in three years and go to the NFL.

"But you realize real quick it doesn't work like that. You have to wait your turn just like everybody does."

SUBHD: News and notes

* Running back Evan Royster has added about 12 pounds this offseason to help him stay durable and said he's up to 224-225 pounds. He plans to be at 218 for the season.

* Backup running back Stephfon Green held nothing back when he called his 2009 season "below average" and said he must work on becoming more consistent. (Note: Sunday's Mirror will focus on what to expect from Royster and Green this season.)

* Wisniewski is expected to play right guard, although he said he has still been working out some at center.

* The first-team offensive line at this point is Quinn Barham at left tackle, Doug Klopacz at center, Wisniewski at right guard and Lou Eliades at right tackle. Johnnie Troutman and De'Ontae Pannell are in a good battle to start at left guard.

* Place-kicker Collin Wagner said he has worked a lot on building up his leg strength during the offseason to help him become more consistent from longer distances. He worked primarily on the leg press, curls and squats and said he's been kicking well from beyond 50 yards.

PSU's Green ready to improve on 'below average' 2009 season
    July 11, 2010 - By Cory Giger, cgiger@altoonamirror.com

UNIVERSITY PARK -- Stephfon Green has always wanted to hit a home run every time he touched the ball, but he now realizes he can't make the kind of impact he wants to make with that mindset.

Green didn't sugarcoat anything when he called his 2009 season "below average" during Friday's Lift for Life. The redshirt junior talked about needing to work on consistency and how frustrating that process has been for him at Penn State.

The speedster always knew he could break off a 20- or 30-yard run in high school, but college is a much different story.

"Now you come here, everybody's just as fast," Green said. "So I guess that's been my struggle is just slowing the game down and letting the game come to me.

"But I'm working at it. I'm still a student of the game, and I continue to make some progress with that."

Great things have always been expected of Green, and he got off to a good start as a redshirt freshman in 2008 with 578 yards and four TDs. Then he broke his ankle in the Rose Bowl.

"It took me more than I expected," he said of the recovery process.

Green played in 11 games last season -- missing two late contests with an ankle injury -- and gained only 319 yards.

He will be counted on for a lot more production this season as the Nittany Lions try to find some offensive consistency with a young quarterback. He'll back up Evan Royster but should see his carries increase as long as he's healthy and productive.

"Royster is a better athlete right now," Green said. "I'm working to try and either be on his level or above his level, and I just have to wait my turn. Patience is a virtue, and it's something I'm going to have to learn to accept and just wait my turn."

Green explodes to the line of scrimmage, and if he breaks through is capable of taking it the distance from anywhere on the field.

That's only going to happen a few times at most, however, and Green realizes he must make adjustments to be productive in every-down situations.

"Just slowing everything down and not thinking everything is a home run," he said of his focus. "Just me slowing down and understanding the blocking schemes and things like that and becoming more of a student of the game.

"That's what I have been doing, that's what I'm going to continue to do. And hopefully one day I'll just go down in the record books setting some records here at Penn State."

Green played last year at 195 pounds and is at 200 now, with hopes of getting to 205 for the season.

He'll have to play second fiddle to Royster once again this season, and he's fine with that as he said he just wants to contribute in "any way, shape or form."

"There's no 'I' in team, and I'm a team player," Green said. "So I'm just going to play my role to my best ability and just help this team accomplish what we set out to accomplish."

The great debate: Where does Royster rank in PSU lore?
    Commentary
    July 11, 2010 - By Cory Giger, cgiger@altoonamirror.com

UNIVERSITY PARK -- Evan Royster should obliterate Penn State's career rushing record this season and may finish with more than 4,000 yards.

He has been, to use Joe Paterno's stock line, a good football player.

But has he been great?

Even with the impressive numbers -- and breaking a record that's stood for 28 years -- it's difficult to think of Royster as one of the elite running backs in Nittany Lion history.

Not yet anyway.

Consider for yourself: Using the eye test, has Royster been better than any of these backs?: Curt Warner, Ki-Jana Carter, Curtis Enis, Blair Thomas, D.J. Dozier, Larry Johnson, John Cappelletti, Lydell Mitchell, Lenny Moore, Tony Hunt or Matt Suhey?

If not, that means Royster isn't even in the top 10 at PSU. Depending on personal preferences and/or memories, fans may pull two or three former stars out of that list, but that still only leaves the school's soon-to-be rushing leader at the back end of the top 10.

Royster has gained 2,918 yards and needs only 481 to surpass Warner's mark of 3,398 atop the Lions' career list. Still, Royster, who has always been a solid back and has averaged 6.1 yards per carry, has never been a guy who elicited a "Wow!" reaction like many other former PSU standouts did.

He has a chance, with a superb senior season, to change that and make his case for greatness.

Every defense will key on Royster with PSU's inexperience at quarterback, so if he can go off for 1,600 yards and lead the team to 10 or 11 wins, he may be worthy of the top five.

That's pretty much what Mark Ingram did for Alabama last season. The Crimson Tide didn't have much of a passing game, but Ingram carried the load with 1,658 yards and 17 TDs to win the Heisman Trophy.

Paterno recalled a story in the spring about the rushing record and someone asking him to compare Royster and Warner, a 2009 inductee into the College Football Hall of Fame.

"These kids are playing a lot more football games," JoePa said. "We're playing 12, 13 games now. So I don't think the stats really are significant in comparing one against the other. I think Royster is a good tailback, and I think he, if he stays healthy, he'll have a big year."

Royster has spent the offseason bulking up to prepare himself to carry more of a load this fall. He put on about 12 pounds -- he's up to 225 -- and figures to be around 218 when the season starts.

"I think it was good for me to add it for now, just to try and build up a little bit and get a little stronger," Royster said Friday at Lift for Life. "I'd like to trim down and get a little more tone [to get] ready for the season."

Royster has started since his sophomore year -- which is why he's been able to move up PSU's career list -- and decided to return for his senior season instead of entering the NFL draft. He said it wasn't a tough decision and noted he never received a potential round for where he may have been drafted from the advisory committee.

He did get some career advice, though.

"Speaking to some people, they were saying that they want to see me get 20-25 carries a game and be able to carry a team like you see a lot of big-time running backs do," Royster said. "Hopefully I'll get a chance to do that this year."

That seems unlikely, and we'll get to why in just a bit.

First off is whether Royster would even be able to handle carrying the ball that many times and remain effective.

He averaged 15.8 carries per game in 2009 and 14.7 in 2008.

"It's a big difference," Royster said of those figures compared to 25. "It's almost doubling the amount of carries you're getting. Even in the past getting between 15 and 20 carries a game, the next day I wake up and I'm beat up.

"Extra weight should help me deal with that. It takes a toll on you, getting that much contact."

And if he's playing heavier?

"It helps you deliver the blow more than taking it," Royster said. "It's just that extra weight to push around. ... There's been times in games where I feel like, with a little bit more weight, I could break that tackle."

Regardless of whether Royster could hold up carrying 25 times a game, that would be a terrible idea for the Penn State offense.

The Lions very well may run a ton to take pressure off Kevin Newsome or Matt McGloin, but the better alternative would be to give Stephfon Green 10-plus carries and up Royster's average to 18 or so.

Green is too talented to carry only six or eight times a game, as he did much of last season. Both he and Royster are good enough catching the ball that it would be exciting to see one in the backfield and the other lined up in the slot about 10 times per game.

"We both can catch the ball out of the backfield, or they can split us out," Royster said. "We've had some experience running routes, and we've done it the past couple years. It's just a matter of doing it in a game a little bit more. We practice it a lot."

Royster should break Warner's career record early in the season thanks to a schedule that includes Youngstown State, Kent State and Temple in the first month.

"It would be awesome," Royster said. "It's something that I'll carry with me my whole life, something I can tell my kids, my grandkids about down the road. Just to be named in the same category as some of those guys, it's a great honor."

Things generally get better with time, and we may not know Royster's true place in Penn State history until years from now.

He probably will hold the rushing record for a long time, and if so, he someday may be given more credit in the great running back discussion.

This is from the same article from my previous post

PSU's best backs

Neil Rudel has covered Penn State football since 1977. Here are the top 10 running backs he's witnessed, and therefore does not include the likes of Lenny Moore, Lydell Mitchell and John Cappelletti -- three who most assuredly would be in PSU's all-time top 10.

1. Curt Warner (1979-82): 3,398 yards -- Once through line, best PSU has had. Cutback artist set single-game mark (256) at Syracuse, but he also had 238 in '81 at Nebraska.

2. Curtis Enis (1995-97): 3,256 yards -- Unlike Warner, played just three seasons. Bull of a tailback, evidenced by 36TDs. He did not have arsenal of Warner (above) or Carter (below).

3. Ki-Jana Carter (1992-94): 2,829 yards -- Also played three only years. Used blazing speed to average 7.2 per career rush, a school record. No. 1 overall pick in 1995.

4. Blair Thomas (1985-87, 89): 3,301 yards -- Came back from ACL surgery to get 1,300-plus in '89 after 1,414 as junior. Workhorse who turned corner better than anyone.

5. Larry Johnson (1999-02): 2,953 yards -- Got 2,087 of them (7.7 per crack) as a senior, his only season as a full-time starter. Rare combination of speed and power but mediocre offense allowed better defenses to stop him.

6. D.J. Dozier (1983-86): 3,227 yards -- Burst on scene as true freshman to have 1,000 yards, but that was his only four-digit season. Shifty but also injury prone.

7. Matt Suhey (1976-79): 2,818 yards -- Tailback in a fullback's body went onto great NFL career. And he was in on third down at the goal line vs. Alabama. Go to the videotape.

8. Tony Hunt (2003-06): 3,320 yards -- Not flashy, but took what the defenses gave, finished runs as well as anyone and wound up No. 2 in yards. Caught between a tailback and a fullback and didn't last in the NFL.

9. Evan Royster (2007-present): 2,918 yards -- Excellent vision and feet and a good receiver, too. Will likely break all-time rushing record, but that's deceiving because he'll have played more games.

10. Jonathan Williams (1980-83): 2,042 yards -- May be the most underrated back in PSU history, having shared the same backfield as both Warner and Dozier.

Oakman will play football, hoops
    July 11, 2010 - By Philip Cmor pcmor@altoonamirror.com

Penn State football recruit Jordan Kerner is a legitimate 6 feet, 5 inches tall, so it takes a lot to impress him.

Shawn Oakman has what it takes.

"He's really tall,'' Kerner, who met Oakman while in University Park for a football camp a little less than two weeks ago, said with a tinge of awe in his voice.

The 6-8, 250-pound Oakman verbally committed to the Nittany Lions on July 1. However, it looks like what is good for Joe Paterno is good for Ed DeChellis, too, as Oakman, also a Division I basketball prospect who has helped Penn Wood High School to two consecutive PIAA championship games, plans to play both sports for Penn State.

"They [the Penn State football coaches] encouraged it. They fully support it,'' Oakman said in a phone interview from a team camp at Albright College in Reading. "So, that will be good.''

Oakman had basketball scholarship offers from LaSalle, St. Joseph's and Rice in addition to Penn State. However, Oakman had even more offers for football - the 17 sacks he registered from his defensive end position last fall had caught the attention of the likes of former NFL head coaches Dave Wannstedt of Pitt and Steve Spurrier of South Carolina, who probably see Oakman as the second coming of Ed "Two Tall'' Jones, potentially.

Temple, UConn, Rice and North Carolina State were also part of a group Oakman said was "eight or nine'' football programs that extended him a scholarship offer. He eventually picked the Nittany Lions over Pitt and Temple.

"Basically, I had a strong feeling for [Nittany Lion defensive line coach] Larry Johnson,'' Oakman, who was offered by the Lions in January, said of his reason for choosing Penn State. "I thought he could push me to be the best in the best kind of way.''

At the time Oakman committed, with Penn State's recruiting stuck in a lull, some thought Pitt has pulled in the lead to land him. Oakman, though, said he wasn't pressured by Penn State to commit when he did.

"Committing early was totally my decision,'' said Oakman, Rivals.com's 244th-ranked prospect in the class of 2011. "I didn't want to worry about making a decision once school started.''

Oakman has good speed for his size - he's been timed in the 40-yard dash in 4.81 seconds - but acknowledges his has to refine his technique. That's not surprising, considering he's still something of a novice where football's concerned.

"I started playing football in ninth grade. I always liked watching football, but I didn't play,'' Oakman, a fan of the Philadelphia Eagles who enjoyed following Jevon Kearse growing up, said. "My first love was playing basketball.''

Oakman has been to University Park twice for football - once for a camp and once on an unofficial visit. He's made just as many trips for basketball, getting to perform at the Bryce Jordan Center in the PIAA Class AAAA finals the last two years.

His Patriots won during his sophomore season but fell to Plymouth-Whitemarsh this year. Oakman is already scheduling a return trip.

"Most definitely. We're going to try to win another state title,'' Oakman said.

Carter in charge

The Nittany Lions coaches think they got their tight end of the future in Delaware's Kyle Carter, but what they may not have realized is they also got a recruiter for the present.

Since committing to Penn State in late May, Carter has turned the tables on the recruiting process. The 6-foot-4, 235-pound New Castle William Penn rising senior has been working the social networking lines to try to convince some of the top prospects in the Northeast to join him in Penn State's 2011 recruiting class.

"I really do [think it's my responsibility],'' Carter said. "I know with Penn State that I want to have a lot of good players around me. After I committed, it took about a month until we got our second commitment. People were starting to get worried. I wanted to do anything I could to help.

"So, I read [Internet] articles. I started hitting up kids on Facebook.''

Kerner and Oakman are two new friends Carter has helped to draw in. He's been in touch with highly-rated New Jersey running back Savon Huggins, New Jersey receiver Miles Shuler and East Stroudsburg South defensive back Kyshoen Jarrett and just made contact with Angelo Mangiro, a blue-chip offensive lineman from New Jersey who is expected to announce his college choice later this month.

He's also been trying to reach New Jersey receiver Dameire Byrd.

"With Savon, I just talked to him,'' Carter said. "He still likes Penn State, but they haven't been showing him much love. I said, 'Well, then, I'll be your recruiter.' I show him Evan Royster and tell him how he could fit into that offense.''

Carter wasn't just making cold calls to these players. He got acquainted with many of them on the camp circuit over the last couple of years.

"They became familiar faces,'' Carter said.

Carter didn't want to take full credit for the idea of recruiting future teammates. He said he was following the lead of his cousin, New Jersey linebacker Quinton Alston, who has committed to Pitt.

"His mother and my mother are very close,'' Carter said. "His mother told me, 'You have to start recruiting like Quinton. You just can't recruit anyone who's looking at Pitt.'''

Carter himself hasn't gotten quite the hype as players like Huggins, Byrd, Shuler or Mangiro yet. Penn State was the first BCS-level college to offer him a scholarship; before the Lions, his only scholarship offers were from Bucknell and Delaware.

He jumped at the Lions' offer.

"Penn State was my childhood favorite. It was between Rutgers and Penn State,'' Carter, who camped at Penn State as a freshman, said. "I called all the other schools that were recruiting me to let them know I was solid to Penn State. UConn, Boston College, Rutgers, North Carolina State, Temple and Virginia were in contact with me. I was about to start to set up camp visits with them when Penn State offered.''

Carter was the most valuable player among the receivers and tight ends at the Ultimate 100 East combine this spring. He said the Penn State coaches have told him they visualize his upside as something similar to former Lion tight end Andrew Quarless because of his blocking ability and potential to develop into a receiving threat.

If that turns out to be the case, Penn State will have gotten a real steal. Carter said his high school receiving numbers have been deceiving because Penn hasn't thrown much.

"Everytime they threw the ball, I had to catch it,'' Carter said. "This year, we might be doing more passing. We've been looking pretty good in seven-on-sevens.''

Jarrett narrows list

Jarrett made news last week by trimming his list to nine schools. He expects to whittle that down again in another month.

Jarrett was once considered to be a heavy Penn State lean, but he didn't receive a scholarship offer until recently, which might have allowed other schools to play catch up.

"Kyshoen really likes Penn State, but I think he wants to take his official visits,'' Carter said.

Secondary appeared to be a point of emphasis for the Lions in 2011. Most recruiting analysts expected Penn State to try to bring in four defensive backs in a class expected to number around 16.

In addition to Jarrett, the Lions seem to be in the best shape with North Carolina cornerback Dominique Noble, Virginia corner Demetrious Nicholson and Virginia safety Michael Cole. Cole might make a decision in the near future.

Ohio's Doran Grant and Pottsgrove's Terrell Chestnut are still in the picture, as well. Meanwhile, Massachusetts cornerback Albert Louis-Jean was on campus recently, although he told reporters he was just visiting Penn State with friends and was still committed to Miami.

I wonder how Eddie will use him this year with the basketball team

The Lion’s princess:
    Infant daughter changes Still’s perspective
    July 16, 2010 - By Cory Giger, cgiger@altoonamirror.com

Devon Still is a mountain of a man at 6-foot-5, 294 pounds, and there aren't too many things that affect him.

"I'm not an emotional dude," the Penn State defensive tackle said.

Even a gigantic guy like that, however, can't help but get all mushy when he sees the birth of his child.

Still experienced that life-altering event nine weeks ago.

"It was beautiful," he said when describing the moment during last week's Lift for Life.

"To see my girlfriend actually like pushing another human out, it blows your mind. When you hear that first cry, it's real crazy."

Still named his little girl Lehsari, and she came in at 7 pounds, 9 ounces and measuring 23 inches.

"She's way bigger than that now," he said.

Still has been working with his Nittany Lion teammates all summer to prepare for the upcoming season. While most of them go home to various things that are going on in their lives, Still can't wait to get home and see his pride and joy.

"When you're out all day, I feel like I haven't seen my daughter all day," he said. "So to see that face and she gives me that smile, it just feels real good to see her."

Other things, of course, aren't so good. Like the diaper duty.

"It's cute when she's a little baby," Still said. "But now she's getting big, and like, it's starting to like get bigger. It's crazy. I don't like doing it now, so I let my girlfriend do most of the changing of diapers because it's just too much for me to look at."

Like with any new parents, finding time to rest can be an issue. Still and his girlfriend have been able to work out a system so far.

"My girlfriend works all day," he said, "so when I get home from classes I like to watch my daughter so my girlfriend can get her rest."

It would seem to be much more difficult taking care of a child during the football season, but Still believes it will be even easier then.

He's currently taking an intensive Spanish class that runs from 12:25 to 5 p.m., plus he has tutoring from 10 a.m. to noon and conditioning later in the evening.

When the football season rolls around, Still said he actually will have more time to spend with his daughter.

"Right now my schedule's harder than it is in the fall," he noted.

There have been several other fathers on the Penn State football team in recent years - such as Navorro Bowman and Jerome Hayes - but Still said the players don't really discuss daddy issues too much.

His teammates have always been helpful, however, whenever he needs anything.

"They've really been taking a role, everybody being a godparent," Still said.

Running back Stephfon Green has been especially helpful.

"The person that's really stepped up the most has probably been Stephfon because me and him have been close since freshman year," Still said. "Whenever I need a babysitter, he's right there for me. He just loves watching her, so he's a real big help. ... He loves kids, so I know he'll do a good job taking care of her."

Green even takes his turn changing diapers, with Still noting, "He does everything."

"Most of the help I get is from my parents," Still said. "They give me advice on what I should do and what I shouldn't do."

Still has a chance to enjoy a breakout season this fall. The redshirt junior has battled injuries throughout his career - tearing an ACL as a freshman and breaking an ankle during preseason camp the following year - but when healthy he's considered a big impact player.

Former Penn State All-American Jared Odrick is one of many people predicting big things for Still.

"You should expect a great year from things that I'm hearing about his workouts here," Odrick said at Lift for Life. "He's always been a hard worker. ... He has a lot of potential, and I think given the opportunity, he'll prove himself."

Still said he suspected his injuries might slow him down, but he's been able to bounce back each time and return to form.

"After the second one, I probably had a little bit of doubt," he said about being able to come back. "I was frustrated for a while being injured so much, but I never really had that thought of giving up football."

He's not only back to 100 percent physically, he also has a different mindset about the game as he understands better than most how quickly football can be taken away.

"Going through something that hard, when you finally get back, you don't take nothing for granted," Still said. "You're out on that field, you want to take advantage of every second you're out there because any play it can be over like it was before."

Lions' pride: High praise sent out to Wisniewski by NFL star uncle
    July 18, 2010 - By Cory Giger cgiger@altoonamirror.com

Stefen Wisniewski is better right now than his All-American uncle Steve was while at Penn State in the late 1980s.

That's one person's opinion, and it comes straight from the person who would know best.

"I'll be the first to say Stefen's a better football player than I was at this point in his career," Steve Wisniewski said.

That is remarkably high praise given that Steve was a two-time All-American, eight-time Pro Bowl selection and member of the NFL's All-Decade Team for the 1990s as a guard.

"He's a phenomenal football player," Steve Wisniewski said of his nephew, who will be a senior this season. "I've told everybody who will listen that Stefen is a better football player - regardless of the All-America thing - and he's further developed than I was."

Stefen Wisniewski has seen his name appear on numerous preseason All-America lists this summer. He's moving back from center, where he played last year, to his more natural position of right guard, where he started in 2008.

"I've always been trying to be the best player in the country," Wisniewski said. "So seeing myself named [All-American], I think it's a cool honor. But I realize that preseason honors don't mean too much, and it just means that I have to work that hard to try to keep myself up there."

If he can, he'll be able to match some of the family bragging rights that his uncle enjoyed in 1987 and '88.

"It's definitely been my goal since I've been here to be a first-team All-American," Wisniewski said. "I walk by my uncle every day. He's on the All-American wall here and in our complex, and I've always wanted to join him.

"I haven't made it yet, but I'm in position where I can do that if I play at my best all year and have a great year."

The mutual respect between uncle and nephew is clearly evident.

"I'm extremely proud of Stefen because anybody who knows him just knows what a special young man he is," Steve Wisniewski said. "He's one of the nicest kids you're ever going to meet."

Stefen, in turn, knows how great of a football player his uncle was and has a goal of trying to match him on the field.

"He knows he's better than me anyway," Stefen said when asked if his uncle gives him a hard time about the All-America issue. "He's a two-time All-American, and I can't match that.

"But I always joke with him that one area I'm passing him is Academic All-American. I got that twice and am trying to do it a third time. So that's one area I can beat him. But I certainly can't beat him in All-Americans."

Stefen is one of many legacy players to play for Penn State during the Joe Paterno era. His father, Leo, was a nose tackle from 1978-81, and a few years later Steve came along.

Uncle Steve, a member of PSU's 1986 national championship team, said his nephew reminds him of one of the great guards to ever play the game.

"He reminds me very much of Hall of Fame guard Mike Munchak, who I believe was the best guard ever to play at Penn State," Steve Wisniewski said.

"He reminds me of Mike because Mike always made it look easy. He was always in good position. He almost looked bored sometimes playing the game because things just looked so easy for him."

Comparing his nephew to himself during college, Steve said Stefen is "a better technician. He doesn't get out of position, he doesn't flail around like I did."

The youngest Wisniewski is looking forward to returning to guard this season. He more than held his own at center last year and earned all-conference recognition, but he clearly has a position preference.

"I'm a little bit more comfortable at guard," he said. "I like the ability to use both hands. That's pretty cool when you're blocking, not having to start with your hand between your legs."

He also likes "having a little bit more space and area to maneuver" at guard, as opposed to a defender being right in his face immediately after he snapped the ball at center.

Wisniewski did what the team needed him to do by switching spots last year, and showing that kind of versatility is something that could pay off for him in the pros.

"An NFL team that's looking at me would be able to look at film of me playing center and playing guard," he said. "I think that will definitely help me."

Welcome to the Schedule Navy.

Penn State adds Navy to 2012 schedule
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010
    By Michael Sanserino, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Penn State will add an old rival to its football schedule when the Nittany Lions play host to Navy in 2012, the school announced Wednesday.

Penn State and Navy first played one another in 1894 and have gone head-to-head 37 times, but they have not met since 1974.

The teams will play Sept. 15, 2012 in Beaver Stadium, but there is no return trip scheduled.

Temple, an opponent originally scheduled to play Penn State at home that date, will visit Beaver Stadium Sept. 22. That same season, Penn State will hit the road to play Virginia Sept. 8.

Penn State owns a 18-17-2 edge over the Midshipmen and a 7-3 advantage on home turf.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10202/1074346-100.stm

Anyone looking to buy single game PSU tickets can do so starting Monday at 10.

I remember watching this game. I tell you that was probably one of the most horrific moments I ever watched. To see him lead the team out onto the field against Miami on Opening Day the next year to open up the newly expanded Beaver Stadium was VERY heartwarming. He sure gave Penn State Football a great comeback story.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_691250.html

Story on Adam Taliaferro

At first glance: Nittany Lion QB, LB starters still up in air
    July 29, 2010 - By Cory Giger cgiger@altoonamirror.com

Penn State's preseason depth chart, which is included in the just-released media guide, clarifies some lingering questions and has few surprises as the team prepares to start camp next week.

Kevin Newsome and Matt McGloin are listed as co-first teamers at quarterback, as expected, and no decision on the starter is likely to come until a week or so before the Sept. 4 opener against Youngstown State.

Rochester receiver Moye key if Nittany Lions' passing attack is to take wing
    Sunday, August 01, 2010

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. -- Tailback Evan Royster likely will be the centerpiece of Penn State's offense this season, but do not count out wide receiver Derek Moye.

He does not possess the same lofty credentials as Royster, but Moye is expected to star in the passing game as the Nittany Lions break in a new, untested quarterback.

"Derek has a chance to be something special," said quarterback Kevin Newsome, who is competing with Matt McGloin for the starting job. "He's very talented."

Moye, a redshirt junior from Rochester High School, enjoyed a breakout season last year, his first as a starter.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10213...#ixzz0vNMVX2aL

Shenaniguy Array title="kmsteelerwr15 is on a distinguished road"> kmsteelerwr15's Avatar

I am really excited to see what Moye can do this year. I think he will help Newsome or McGloin grow as QB's