Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Penn State Football

Tiger Lion and Steel Array title="SteelCityMan786 will become famous soon enough"> SteelCityMan786's Avatar

Where the lands are a mix of Black and Gold with some Blue and White

Re: Penn State Football

Quote Originally Posted by kmsteelerwr15 View Post
    I am really excited to see what Moye can do this year. I think he will help Newsome or McGloin grow as QB's
    Him along with Chaz Powell. This team is pretty much set everywhere. If the QB play can be solid and everyone else can do their jobs, this could be a special year for Penn State. The Big 3 Games that will probably make or break their chances at playing in a BCS Game (Let alone BCS Title Game), will be Alabama, Iowa, and Ohio State(not necessarily in that order).
    786 Ways to score touchdowns

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Penn State's quarterback spot still undecided

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Musselman, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Two inexperienced players in search of their first college starts, sophomore Kevin Newsome and redshirt sophomore Matt McGloin, are vying to replace Daryll Clark, a two-year starter and the Big Ten Conference's co-MVP last season.

"Both guys are really pretty similar, but Newsome is a little bit more of a running threat." - Stefen Wisniewski

Newsome (6 feet 2, 221 pounds) holds a slight edge over McGloin (6-1, 206) in the quarterback competition despite limited playing time. As Clark's backup last season, Newsome completed 8 of 11 passes for 66 yards and also ran 20 times for 95 yards and two touchdowns. McGloin, a former walk-on, appeared in three games as the No. 3 quarterback and threw two incompletions.

Paterno was asked if Jones or Bolden had any shot at competing for the starting job or had any chance of seeing playing time this season.

"That's tough for me to answer," he said. "We're going to play the best guys. I don't know who the best ones are yet."
    Classic line by JoPa to wrap up the article.
    Last edited by SteelMember; 08-04-2010 at 07:44 AM. Reason: added by-line to quote

Tiger Lion and Steel Array title="SteelCityMan786 will become famous soon enough"> SteelCityMan786's Avatar

I'd rather they take their time to evaluate who is going to start. No reason to rush their decision.

Paterno says he's fit for season
    Monday, August 02, 2010
    By Ron Musselman, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

CHICAGO -- Penn State coach Joe Paterno said today that the intestinal problems that slowed him for more than two months were "nothing very serious."

"I feel really good," the 83-year-old Paterno told reporters at the Big Ten Conference's annual media days. "As long as I enjoy it, I'll continue to coach unless I don't think I can do a good job or unless somebody else doesn't think I can do a good job.

"Right now, I have no plans whatsoever about going another one year, two years, five years, whatever."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10214...#ixzz0w23uEBZi

Big Ten Notebook: Championship game expected next season
    Tuesday, August 03, 2010

CHICAGO -- Big Ten Conference commissioner Jim Delany said Monday he expects the league to hold a championship game next season when Nebraska comes aboard.

He said divisional realignment would be determined in the next 30-45 days, with two six-team divisions.

Delany added that the Big Ten would not change its name despite having 12 teams.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10215...#ixzz0w244gPMT

Big Ten Notebook: Players thrilled to have title game
    Wednesday, August 04, 2010

CHICAGO -- Penn State cornerback D'Anton Lynn is excited about the prospects of the Big Ten implementing a championship game in December 2011.

"It's really cool," Lynn said Tuesday before the Big Ten kickoff luncheon. "Next year will be my senior year, and it will be the first year of the Big Ten championship game. Hopefully, we'll get a chance to play Nebraska, too.

"I'm real pumped up about a championship game. None of us like that long gap after our last [regular-season] game until the bowl game. We've been at home watching two weeks of football the last couple of years, and no one really likes that."

Senior guard Stefen Wisniewski from Central Catholic High School likely will be playing in the NFL next season, but he said a title game is long overdue.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10216...#ixzz0w24Pio59

Penn State's quarterback spot still undecided
    Wednesday, August 04, 2010

CHICAGO -- Penn State guard Stefen Wisniewski is not much different than the average Nittany Lions fan.

His biggest worry entering the start of preseason practice Thursday is the unsettled quarterback position.

Two inexperienced players in search of their first college starts, sophomore Kevin Newsome and redshirt sophomore Matt McGloin, are vying to replace Daryll Clark, a two-year starter and the Big Ten Conference's co-MVP last season.

"Definitely, quarterback is my biggest concern," Wisniewski said Tuesday before the Big Ten kickoff luncheon. "I guess it's not so much a concern as it is an unknown as to who it's going to be.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10216...#ixzz0w24hoNVO

Pitt, Penn State, WVU ranked in coaches poll
    Friday, August 06, 2010
    By Ray Fittipaldo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The USA Today coaches preseason poll was unveiled this morning and all three local Division I teams are ranked.

Penn State is No. 14, Pitt No. 15 and West Virginia is tied for 24th.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10218...#ixzz0w25AUNaj

Penn State's Still hoping to replace All-American Odrick
    Friday, August 06, 2010

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. -- Devon Still is hard to miss as he cruises across Penn State's campus on his 49cc scooter.

Still, 6 feet 5 and 304 pounds, said the bike reaches speeds of 50 mph, yet he doesn't wear a helmet.

"Me being so big, I know it's a sight to behold seeing me on the scooter," Still said, laughing. "I like to ride it to practice. And I have left a few of my teammates ride it. It's a good conversation piece."

When the Nittany Lions opened practice Thursday, plenty of eyes were focused on Still.

He is the guy attempting to replace All-American defensive tackle Jared Odrick, who was the Big Ten Conference's defensive player of the year last season and a first-round pick of the Miami Dolphins.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10218...#ixzz0w25TdAcg

Penn State: Lions speedy backup RB becomes keen student of game
    Sunday, August 08, 2010

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. -- Stephfon Green is one of the fastest players on Penn State's roster, but there is not very much wiggle room in the Nittany Lions' backfield.

He is the backup tailback behind Evan Royster, who is bidding for his third consecutive 1,000-yard season and is 481 yards shy of breaking Curt Warner's career rushing record.

Green also is coming off what he called a "below average" season last year, in which he gained just 319 yards.

The 5-foot-10, 200-pound redshirt junior believes he needs to become more consistent in order to get more carries.

"That's been the frustration since I got up here," Green said. "It's about me being consistent. I'm just trying to contribute to this team in any way, shape or form.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10220...#ixzz0w25oZHL3

http://altoonamirror.com/page/conten....html?nav=5017

Lining up the Lions-Special Teams

Joe Paterno Nominated for Presidential Medal of Freedom
    Rep. Glenn Thompson Nominates Hall of Fame Coach for nation's highest civilian award

Aug. 9, 2010

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa.; - Penn State's Joe Paterno has been nominated for the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian award in the United States. The nomination was made by U.S. Representative Glenn Thompson (R-PA, 5th), who sent President Barack Obama a letter with 17 additional signatures asking that Paterno be rewarded for his efforts serving his team, school and community.

The award recognizes individuals who have made "an especially meritorious contribution to the security or national interests of the United States, world peace, cultural or other significant public or private endeavors."

"The Medal of Freedom has always stood for those who make a contribution to making our nation a better place to live," said Thompson, in a news release. "I believe Joe Paterno represents an ideal of what student and college athletics should be."

In his letter to Obama, Thompson stated, "Rarely has the award been made to someone who has personified sportsmanship on the field of play and academic achievement in the classroom. It is our hope, that this year the Medal of Freedom does just that by honoring Joe Paterno for his contribution to the coaching of football, his commitment to the academic integrity of the young men under his charge, and his deep dedication to education in general."

Additionally in the letter, Thompson listed off many of Paterno's accomplishments including his 394 wins, more than any coach in the history of Division I football. He also stated that Paterno's program has never been on probation and that his players stay in school and graduate. The letter also mentioned that Paterno supports the Pennsylvania Special Olympics, his fundraising and donations to libraries and need-based scholarships for Pennsylvanians.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-...080910aaa.html

Member Array title="psusteelerspens4life is an unknown quantity at this point"> psusteelerspens4life's Avatar

born and raised central pa now putting up with redskin and caps fans

Good reads the season can't start soon enough!!

http://post-gazette.com/pg/10222/1078989-100.stm

Drake suffers broken leg.

Last Month was also reported to have been in a fight at a McDonald's on East College Ave. State College Police blew it out of proportions to some degree. Some have said what was going on was just some friendly back and forth joking between him and PSU Freshman Taran Buie.

Member Array title="psusteelerspens4life is an unknown quantity at this point"> psusteelerspens4life's Avatar

It seems we have been having bad luck with some key players getting hurt the past few years, Sean Lee with his knee out for the season, Mike Mauti Knee, now Drake atleast it is a broken leg and he can still play this year.

Quote Originally Posted by psusteelerspens4life View Post
    It seems we have been having bad luck with some key players getting hurt the past few years, Sean Lee with his knee out for the season, Mike Mauti Knee, now Drake atleast it is a broken leg and he can still play this year.
    It will be interesting to see how he recovers from that injury. I don't want them to rush him. If he has to take a medical redshirt, then fine. I'd rather he do that then risk his carrier and have a life changing injury.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Penn State: Former walk-on McGloin believes he can win starting quarterback job

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Musselman, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Matt McGloin believes he is a legitimate contender for Penn State's starting quarterback job.

But the former walk-on knows there are plenty of skeptics who don't think he will overtake Kevin Newsome, who held a slight edge in the competition entering the start of preseason practice six days ago.

"Because I am a former walk-on, people assume I can't get the job done," McGloin said. "It just makes me work harder and use that as motivation. That's where I am right now. ... I wouldn't consider [Newsome] having the lead over me.

"Each day, you're fighting to gain that respect. I think so far I've gotten it from my teammates and the coaches. Right now, I'm just trying to work on getting it from the fans."
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10223/1079087-143.stm

I like that attitude out of McGloin. Although I believe that Newsome will get the starting job over him seeing that he is the QB of the future right now unless Jones and Bolden basically show that they should be played earlier then some would expect. McGloin will likely need to pull a Devlin if he's going to get a starting job.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
    I like that attitude out of McGloin. Although I believe that Newsome will get the starting job over him seeing that he is the QB of the future right now unless Jones and Bolden basically show that they should be played earlier then some would expect. McGloin will likely need to pull a Devlin if he's going to get a starting job.
    I don't doubt that, but you gotta like the kids fire.

And who don't like an "underdog" story.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    I don't doubt that, but you gotta like the kids fire.

And who don't like an "underdog" story.
    I hear the 1986 Penn State Football team knows a lot about that. Right Miami Hurricanes Fans

Penn State continues to search for starter at QB
    By Jerry DiPaola, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Friday, August 13, 2010

Penn State entered training camp with four inexperienced quarterbacks, and coach Joe Paterno said Thursday he will take advantage of an NCAA regulation that allows extended time for practices.

College teams are permitted no more than 29 practice days, but they now have four additional calendar days to schedule them.

"I told the coaches when we started practice, we have to use the extra days," Paterno said. "We never practiced the 29 days (in previous seasons). It was always 26 or 27. This year, we are going to take the 29. We are using the extra time to evaluate people."

Redshirt junior Matt McGloin, a West Scranton High School graduate, and sophomore Kevin Newsome of Portsmouth, Va., are equals at the top of the coaches' depth chart. The others are freshman Paul Jones of Sto-Rox and redshirt junior Shane McGregor.

Total collegiate pass attempts among the group: 13.

Paterno said his coaches will try to put the players in situations "where they have to make something happen."

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbur.../s_694728.html

http://altoonamirror.com/page/conten....html?nav=5017

Ready for some football: Paterno talking shop, not health
    August 13, 2010 - By Cory Giger, cgiger@altoonamirror.com

UNIVERSITY PARK - It was classic JoePa, a statement showing his wit remains despite lingering health concerns.

"I have one request," Joe Paterno said Thursday at Penn State's media day. "Please don't ask me if I'm going to die tomorrow."

More than 100 statewide media members - most of whom haven't seen Paterno all summer because of his intestinal problems - erupted with laughter.

"Believe me," JoePa said, "I've got a few more days left."

Then he made it clear he didn't want a repeat of what took place in Chicago during Big Ten media days, when at least 80 percent of the questions centered around his health. The first one he faced there had to do with whether or not he would coach until the day he died.

Thursday's media session was much different.

I just read that Robert Bolden was named the starting QB for saturday.