Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011-2012 Offseason Thread

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

2011-2012 Offseason Thread

Here's where we could post about things going on with Pirates until the season starts in April 2012. Pirates are doing some roster moves and here they are:
    Six minor leaguers join Pirates' 40-man roster

The Pirates added six players to their 40-man roster Friday, ensuring that they would be protected from the Dec. 8 Rule 5 draft.

First baseman Matt Hague, middle infielder Jordy Mercer, center fielder Starling Marte and pitchers Rudy Owens, Justin Wilson and Duke Welker were added to the roster, which is now full. The Pirates also designated outfielder Xavier Paul and catcher Eric Fryer for assignment to make room.
    Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11323...#ixzz1eBluzpGK

Pirates claim Hefner, Jeroloman on waivers

The Pirates claimed right-hander Jeremy Hefner and catcher Brian Jeroloman off waivers Friday and sent catcher Matt Pagnozzi outright to Class AAA Indianapolis.

The 40-man roster now has 36 players. Friday is the final day for teams to add players to the 40-man roster and protect them before the Dec. 8 Rule 5 draft.
    Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11322...#ixzz1eBm73OQ9

I hope they're all good. We have A LOT of talent in the minor leagues that we should bring up and hopefully these guys play and if they do, I hope they're good.

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

Re: 2011-2012 Offseason Thread

Still need pitching, but I'll take it.
    MUCH better than Cedeno!

Barmes confirms he's headed to Pittsburgh

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_pit&c_id=pit
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelpride12 View Post
    Still need pitching, but I'll take it.
    MUCH better than Cedeno!

Barmes confirms he's headed to Pittsburgh

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_pit&c_id=pit
    Hopefully he'll play well for us and hopefully he IS an upgrade.

Pirates sign handful of minor-league free agents

The Pirates announced today the signing of outfielder Brandon Boggs, right-handed pitchers Kyle Cofield and Jose Diaz and first baseman Stefan Welch.

They also made official the signing of catcher/outfielder Jake Fox and right-hander Shairon Martis.
    Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11327...#ixzz1emMknKW1

Lee gets arbitration offer before deadline
    The Pirates offered salary arbitration Wednesday to first baseman Derrek Lee, but did not offer it to outfielder Ryan Ludwick or catcher Chris Snyder.

If Lee declines arbitration and signs with another team, the Pirates will receive a draft pick between the first and second rounds of the draft.

They already received one selection when Ryan Doumit signed with the Minnesota Twins.
    Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11328...#ixzz1emMxhguv

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

I hope Lee re-signs, but I'm not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    I hope Lee re-signs, but I'm not holding my breath.
    It would surely be nice. He played well when we signed him and won a couple of games for the Pirates last year.

Pirates, McLouth closing in on a deal

DALLAS -- The Pirates are close to a deal with outfielder Nate McLouth, according to an industry source.

A former Pirate, McLouth hit .228 in 81 games last season for the Atlanta Braves and .190 through 85 games the previous season. In five seasons with the Pirates, McLouth hit .261 with above-average power numbers.
    Read more: http://postgazette.com/pg/11340/1194...#ixzz1folh5E1M

If anything, he'd be taking Jones spot in right field. He played decently with us and hopefully he can again if he signs.

Member Array title="OnlyOne21 is on a distinguished road">

Today the Pirates signed LHP Erik Benard. This guy was in high demand a couple years ago but a knee injury, not arm related injury, caused him to miss numerous starts over the past couple years. If he is healed this could be a very good signing. I wish they would have added an option year on the deal. I do not believe they will sign Francis unless no one else offers him a deal in the neighborhood he is seeking.

Administrator Array title="HometownGal has a reputation beyond repute"> HometownGal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    Pirates, McLouth closing in on a deal

Read more: http://postgazette.com/pg/11340/1194...#ixzz1folh5E1M

If anything, he'd be taking Jones spot in right field. He played decently with us and hopefully he can again if he signs.
    yay3:

Just heard on KDKA that it's a done deal. $1.75 million for one year.

CANCER - YOU PICKED THE WRONG BITCH!!!

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

I like the Bedard signing - if he stays healthy, he should be a good addition. I think McLouth missed Pittsburgh, and that's why his numbers dropped like a rock after he got traded. Funny that he was traded for Charlie Morton, and now they're teammates. If they sign Francis, I'll consider it a solid off-season by Pirates' standards.

Quote Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
    yay3:

Just heard on KDKA that it's a done deal. $1.75 million for one year.
    My God, at first I thought that said trillion.

I like the Bedard signing - if he stays healthy, he should be a good addition. I think McLouth missed Pittsburgh, and that's why his numbers dropped like a rock after he got traded. Funny that he was traded for Charlie Morton, and now they're teammates. If they sign Francis, I'll consider it a solid off-season by Pirates' standards.
    Here's a really good article about the two of them and see what McLouth says about being a Brave:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...bdO_story.html

Trillion? This is a Pirates thread, not Yankees!

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne21 View Post
    Trillion? This is a Pirates thread, not Yankees!
    I know, I have no clue why I thought it was trillion.

Lee declines arbitration with Pirates; Ohlendorf released

DALLAS -- The Pirates released Ross Ohlendorf late Wednesday night, around the same time they learned that Derrek Lee declined their offer of salary arbitration;

Ohlendorf, 29, struggled with right shoulder injuries in each of the past two seasons that kept him inactive for several months. When he returned last season, he went 1-3 with an 8.15 ERA.

Ohlendorf won an arbitration case last offseason and earned $2.025 million, and he was eligible for arbitration again this winter. Arbitration rules stipulate that Ohlendorf could not earn less than 80 percent of his previous salary, or about $1.62 million, making him too expensive.
    Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11342...#ixzz1fzvXmtH8

Thank God Ohlendorf is gone.

Pirates select shortstop Nunez from Tigers in Rule 5 draft

DALLAS -- The Pirates selected shortstop Gustavo Nunez from the Detroit Tigers organization with the eighth pick of the Rule 5 draft.

They also lost LHP Brett Lorin to the Arizona Diamondbacks, who had the 25th pick.

Nunez, a 23-year-old native of the Dominican Republic, signed with the Tigers in 2007. He hit .276 in 96 games split between Class A and Class AA last season.

Lorin, 24, was a fifth-round draft pick of the Seattle Mariners in 2008. He spent the 2011 season with Class A Bradenton and went 7-6 with a 2.84 ERA. The Pirates acquired him in 2009 as part of the Jack Wilson trade.
    Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11342...#ixzz1fzwELINs

Seems to be another good pickup, the Pirates are busy this year.

Damn, I wanted them to keep Lee around. They won't pay what he's likely to get on the open market.

The Borskinator Array title="Borski is on a distinguished road"> Borski's Avatar

Albert Pujols Leaves the Cards, Ryan Braun on the Brewers fails a drug test and faces a 50 game suspension.....could this be the year for the Pittsburgh Pirates to win the division?!

Seriously, I think we made some huge inprovments last year and this off-season is looking pretty good to me.

Married and happy Array title="BPS3akaWirels3 has a spectacular aura about"> BPS3akaWirels3's Avatar

Has baseball started yet?????

Nothing better then a Black & Gold Wedding 09/24/11

Pirates acquire 3B Casey McGehee from Brewers:

PITTSBURGH -- The Pirates and Brewers swapped arbitration-eligible players on Monday, with Casey McGehee coming to Pittsburgh in exchange for right-hander Jose Veras.

Veras was in jeopardy of not being tendered a contract by Monday's deadline, while McGehee became expendable after Milwaukee signed free agent Aramis Ramirez to be the club's starting third baseman.

After batting .285 with 23 homers and 104 RBIs in 2010, McGehee endured a tough '11 season, hitting just .223 with 13 homers, 67 RBIs and a .280 on-base percentage. McGehee appeared in 155 games, mostly as the team's starting third baseman.

The addition of McGehee, 29, gives the Pirates another option at third base, though the club has insisted that Pedro Alvarez will get the first crack at holding onto the starting role. If the Pirates don't need McGehee to step in and play third, he could be used across the diamond at first base or as a backup outfielder.

McGehee, like Veras, was arbitration eligible for the first time this offseason. He has played in the National League Central for his entire Major League career. In his first full season in the Majors (2009), McGehee batted .301 with 20 doubles, 16 homers and 66 RBIs in 116 games.

Veras made a career-high 79 appearances for the Pirates in 2011, many of those coming in late-inning setup situations. The 31-year-old right-hander finished with a 3.80 ERA, 79 strikeouts and 34 walks in 71 innings.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

Another solid pickup for the Bucs. McGehee will definitely push Alvarez, especially if he shows anything close to what he did in 2010. Huntington making some decent moves so far this off-season.

Pirates acquire 3B Casey McGehee from Brewers:

PITTSBURGH -- The Pirates and Brewers swapped arbitration-eligible players on Monday, with Casey McGehee coming to Pittsburgh in exchange for right-hander Jose Veras.

Veras was in jeopardy of not being tendered a contract by Monday's deadline, while McGehee became expendable after Milwaukee signed free agent Aramis Ramirez to be the club's starting third baseman.

After batting .285 with 23 homers and 104 RBIs in 2010, McGehee endured a tough '11 season, hitting just .223 with 13 homers, 67 RBIs and a .280 on-base percentage. McGehee appeared in 155 games, mostly as the team's starting third baseman.

The addition of McGehee, 29, gives the Pirates another option at third base, though the club has insisted that Pedro Alvarez will get the first crack at holding onto the starting role. If the Pirates don't need McGehee to step in and play third, he could be used across the diamond at first base or as a backup outfielder.

McGehee, like Veras, was arbitration eligible for the first time this offseason. He has played in the National League Central for his entire Major League career. In his first full season in the Majors (2009), McGehee batted .301 with 20 doubles, 16 homers and 66 RBIs in 116 games.

Veras made a career-high 79 appearances for the Pirates in 2011, many of those coming in late-inning setup situations. The 31-year-old right-hander finished with a 3.80 ERA, 79 strikeouts and 34 walks in 71 innings.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

Another solid pickup for the Bucs. McGehee will definitely push Alvarez, especially if he shows anything close to what he did in 2010. Huntington making some decent moves so far this off-season.
    This is great pick up IMO and it was steal. The Bucs have been quite busy this off-season. I still have faith in Pedro and hopefully it will push him. This team is really coming together.

Pirates bring back Grilli on one-year contract

PITTSBURGH -- Jason Grilli will be back in the Pirates' bullpen next season, having secured his spot on the club by agreeing to terms on a one-year deal with Pittsburgh. According to mlbtraderumors.com, the contract will pay Grilli $1.1 million in 2012.

After beginning the 2011 season in the Phillies' Minor League system, Grilli was granted his release on July 19 so that he could sign with Pittsburgh two days later. He went on to make 28 appearances and post a 2.48 ERA with the Pirates. Grilli, 35, struck out 37 and walked 15 in those 32 2/3 innings.

The right-hander quickly worked his way into a setup role and was scored upon just twice in his final 19 appearances.
    Read More:http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/ne...s_pit&c_id=pit

McGehee is a good pick up and while one would think that Pedro should have enough personal motivation due to his lack of production since being picked number one, this move sends him a clear signal that if he doesn't produce there will be a plan in place to put him on the pine.

I truly feel the guy has major talent and is built to produce huge numbers in PNC. I think his issue is more mental.

McGehee has also played a handful of games at first and my guess is based on his size probably has played his share of first base through his upbringing. So a platoon at first base with Jones should produce better numbers than what was penciled in prior to the off season figuring Lee wasn't going to resign.

You know what makes me laugh, though? All of these new guys saying the Pirates took a step forward last season. Um, they lost 92 friggin' games! How is that a "step forward?"

The Borskinator Array title="Borski is on a distinguished road"> Borski's Avatar

You know what makes me laugh, though? All of these new guys saying the Pirates took a step forward last season. Um, they lost 92 friggin' games! How is that a "step forward?"
    I agree they took a big step forward. We had a 3 game lead on the division after the All Star Break. after that we lost momentum and collapsed but the first half of the season showed great promise. If they can build on that and remain consistent through the season we'll do good.

Yeah, I feel is heading in the right direction and took a big step last year. They might have had a losing season, but they still won sixteen or seventeen more games than 2010.

I think the step forward has more to do with the first half of the season and that for the first time that many games into the season the games had more meaning. They also got to experience the town actually embracing them and be excited to talk baseball, not just hearing Steelers and Penguins stories.

Yes they lost 92 games but honestly when was the last time there was excitement over being a Pirate fan from outside of just the diehards?

Left hand healed, Tabata hits the cage: Outfielder cleared to resume hitting following clean bill of health

Jose Tabata resumed swinging a bat last week after receiving a clean bill of health from the Pirates' medical staff.

Tabata's season ended in early September because of a fractured bone in his left hand. The 23-year-old outfielder, who was just in Pittsburgh for the club's Caravan and PirateFest events, had that hand re-examined while he was in town.

As soon as he was told that his hand had properly healed, Tabata went into the indoor batting cage and started swinging.
    Read More: http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/ne...s_pit&c_id=pit

I hope he and Pedro can come back from their sophomore slumps.

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

Tabata was a singles beast when he was healthy and if only we can get Alvarez to his peak this team WILL take the next step in greatly improving.
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

Quote Originally Posted by steelpride12 View Post
    Tabata was a singles beast when he was healthy and if only we can get Alvarez to his peak this team WILL take the next step in greatly improving.
    I still don't think they have enough starting pitching or power to really take the next step. But if Pedro turns into anything like we all hoped he would and their starting pitching does enough, they might be able to get to .500. Let's just say I'm cautiously optimistic that will happen - not completely pessimistic. I will say their bullpen has the potential to be one of the best in the majors.

I still don't think they have enough starting pitching or power to really take the next step. But if Pedro turns into anything like we all hoped he would and their starting pitching does enough, they might be able to get to .500. Let's just say I'm cautiously optimistic that will happen - not completely pessimistic. I will say their bullpen has the potential to be one of the best in the majors.
    Yes I'm taking it one small step at a time. Last season we saw we have spurts of greatness early and were even #1 in the division for a short period, but this season I want to see consistency. Not a division championship or playoff run, that would be exaggerating, I just want to see a .500 team, but our starting pitching is still our weak point.

- Greg Lloyd