Thread: Cortez the Conquistador (by Alex Kozora - November 15, 2011)

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Cortez the Conquistador (by Alex Kozora - November 15, 2011)

You know Dasher and Dancer, Prancer and Vixen.

You know Ike Taylor and James Farrior.

But do you recall the most underrated Steeler of them all?

Ok, too soon for the Christmas references? Allow me to get to my point.

Rookie Cortez Allen is not playing like a rookie "should" in this Dick LeBeau defense. And that is definitely a good thing. When the 4th rounder was selected, draftniks had to scramble for information on him. The Citadel? Sounds more like a name for the new coffee shop in the mall than a military school.

It seemed that even Carnell Lake thought Allen would be a work in progress, stating in his conference call that Allen's military obligations took a lot of time away from the football field. Try asking your drill sergeant if you can take off early for extra film study. The odds of that happening are about the same as me being able to outrun Mike Wallace in the 40.

So, watch for a year, learn LeBeau's playbook, and maybe get some time on special teams late in the year if you're lucky. Right?

Don't tell Cortez Allen that.

Just halfway through his first season, he is a starting gunner on punts and a starter on kick coverage along with getting a lot of action on defense, seeing the field in dime packages. One of his first assignments? Taking on Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski. Did I mention Gronk is 6'7" 250? Don't see those guys at the FCS level.

Allen took on the challenge, forcing two incompletions and a solid tackle on third down, leaving Gronkowski one yard short of the marker. If you can't tackle in a Dick LeBeau defense, you'll find yourself on the fast track to the unemployment line. That isn't an area of concern for Allen. The Steelers' secondary, thought to be the biggest area of concern coming into the year, now has four solid contributors at cornerback.

He's been even better on special teams and even if it won't always show up on the scoreboard, Mike Tomlin, Al Everest, and the rest of the coaching staff have surely taken notice. On kick coverage against Cincinnati, he correctly stayed in his lane and forced return man Brandon Tate to the inside, allowing Bryant McFadden to make the tackle.

Seems easy enough, but how many times in the past have we seen 60,000 Steelers fans groaning after watching a breakdown on special teams? Kick coverage has been solid this season and part of the credit goes to players like Allen.

Previous selections at cornerback (I’m looking at you, Joe Burnett) have turned out to be nothing more than lumps of coal. It may be early, but Allen has all the makings of being a gift.

By the time Christmas is here, you'll know his name.

© 2011 Steelers Universe

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

Re: Cortez the Conquistador (by Alex Kozora - November 15, 2011)

great read as always! I agree i was jumped out of my set during the *game when he stopped gronk short.

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Black and Gold Lantern Array title="The Duke is just really nice"> The Duke's Avatar

I believe Tomlin has found "his guy" on the secondary. Though Gay was, arguably, too

Can't believe I wanted Cortez on IR after he missed to much of training camp. But in the short playing time he got in preseason he opened some eyes, and now in season it's just jaw dropping the progress he's made

the conquistador, I like it! another great article!
    "We're a team. There's no offense. There's no defense. There's no special teams. We're one. We're a band of brothers." – Ben Roethlisberger

Administrator Array title="HometownGal has a reputation beyond repute"> HometownGal's Avatar

What an absolutely phenomenal read Chidi!

I have been very impressed with Cortez thus far and believe him to definitely be a keeper who will continue to make a huge impact.

CANCER - YOU PICKED THE WRONG BITCH!!!

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

I posted this in the Tweets thread but thought it would fit here. Apparently Cortez has a sense of humor as well. I about spit out my drink when I read this the other day.

@Cortez_Allen Cortez Allen

At the airport and a SBD just escaped me. It was a little potent so I pray no one noticed it. :-/
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

What's an SBD?
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    What's an SBD?
    Silent But Deadly.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Silent But Deadly.
    My brother used to do those when I was young. They were so deadly I think I had to call the ambulance

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    My brother used to do those when I was young. They were so deadly I think I had to call the ambulance
    Trust me, it's worse when your brother sits on your head and farts so hard it makes YOUR cheeks flap.

...and great read Chidi. thanks.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Silent But Deadly.
    hahaha
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.