Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Republican Nominee Thread

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

2012 Republican Nominee Thread

With the election season in full swing now, I figured I'd start a thread for everyones thoughts on the Republican nominees. I know there are different threads out there where we discuss different debates and nominees, but hopefully this will be a one stop shop for all the news concerning the republican nomination.

My thoughts as of today:

By the time Iowa elections roll around, Cain will have dropped off a bit and it will be a race between Newt and Romney. I'm a little surprised at the quick rise of Ron Paul. I think he brings good discussions to the table, but with views like "If we are just nicer to Iran, they will stop building nukes" (Im paraphrasing), he will never catch fire with the Republican base. I also think Huntsman is starting to be recognized (finally!) but he doesn't have the backing to go anywhere, too little too late for him.

How does everyone else see it as of now?

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Re: 2012 Republican Nominee Thread

Quick rise?

Paul polls at 10% always.

Cain is toast. Every time this guy opens his mouth he just digs himself deeper and deeper in a hole...I don't even know how he's still on the radar.

For as bad as Perry flubbed things, he looked pretty good Saturday night. He's still failry vapid and empty, and will be destroyed in a one-on-one debate with either Romney or Obama, but he recovered some.

Gingrich is the one who is surging...but I think it's pretty much just that the GOP is trying all these candidates on for a week or two to see who fits. Romney has stayed pretty consistent at 25% and I think he needs a live boy or a dead girl to lose the nod.
    Fire Goodell

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    Quick rise?

Paul polls at 10% always.

Cain is toast. Every time this guy opens his mouth he just digs himself deeper and deeper in a hole...I don't even know how he's still on the radar.

For as bad as Perry flubbed things, he looked pretty good Saturday night. He's still failry vapid and empty, and will be destroyed in a one-on-one debate with either Romney or Obama, but he recovered some.

Gingrich is the one who is surging...but I think it's pretty much just that the GOP is trying all these candidates on for a week or two to see who fits. Romney has stayed pretty consistent at 25% and I think he needs a live boy or a dead girl to lose the nod.

I was reffering to a recent poll in Iowa that has Paul polling at 19%...#2, I guess I should have worded that a little differently.

http://bostonglobe.com/news/politics...VzO/story.html

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

I guess the undecideds are trying on Paul AND Gingrich this week.

I love watching Paul speak...it's like there's so much he wants to say but his mind is working faster than his tongue. And he's never specific, he just says "And if this or that goes on, it'll be a very bad thing". But there are always 15-20 Paul supporters at each debate and they are VERY loud...
    Fire Goodell

I just now saw Cain trying to speak about Lybia. That was hard to watch. I like the guy, I do, but his lack of foreign policy experience is killing him.

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

I'm not all that concerned about Cain on foreign policy. He just needs a running mate with strong foreign policy credentials and a good Secretary of State. But I wouldn't want him as the nominee. Obaaaaaaaaaaaaama absolutely HAS to go and Cain isn't smooth or polished enough. He would keep shooting himself in the foot during the general eleciton campaign. It's too bad because he's a smart guy and he's not a career political insider.

Newt is the smartest candidate but has a lot of personal baggage. I'm also worried about the next shoe dropping. If you saw 60 Minutes a couple of days ago, you know the last three House speakers committed insider trading. They didn't mention Newt but that could just be because it was too long ago.

I honestly think that the role of the other 6 is to properly frame the debate between Romney and Perry. Gingrich could make a Helluva #2, but you're right about that baggage. I know Clinton lowered the bar a bit, but you still have to have a pretty clean background to be President in the US.
    Fire Goodell

I honestly think that the role of the other 6 is to properly frame the debate between Romney and Perry. Gingrich could make a Helluva #2, but you're right about that baggage. I know Clinton lowered the bar a bit, but you still have to have a pretty clean background to be President in the US.
    He is easily the most knowledgeable and qualified for the job, but he has so much baggage its ridiculous. Failed marriages, mistresses, ethics violations...the list is pretty lengthy and the Obama machine would tear him to pieces through the media

I'm not 100% convinced of that...I consider both ex-governors who have both good track records in executive public experience as well as success running private businesses are pretty formidable qualifications....
    Fire Goodell

Gingrich's popularity rises as Cain's drops. Kind of saw this coming, it's been all over the place with a new flavor of the week coming out on top. Romney has been the only steady candidate in the polls. I think once Newt's personal baggage gets more and more scrutiny, he will begin to descend in the polls also. I still say, as I have before, it will ultimately come down to Newt and Romney, with Romney pulling out the win.

Romney/Christie ticket is still my guess...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...nominee-picks/

I have Romney/Rubio....GOP needs the Hispanic vote. That one single bloc alone cost McCain the election last time. Obama has lost: Women, Jews, Hispanics, and Independents in general. Rubio seals Hispanics. Better safe than sorry...
    Fire Goodell

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Paul and Gingrich are the front-runners in the early states at the moment. That has the media absolutely terrified.

"If we are just nicer to Iran, they will stop building nukes" (Im paraphrasing)
    I'd say "paraphrasing" is quite the understatement.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

I have Romney/Rubio....GOP needs the Hispanic vote. That one single bloc alone cost McCain the election last time. Obama has lost: Women, Jews, Hispanics, and Independents in general. Rubio seals Hispanics. Better safe than sorry...
    Hispanics would not flock to Marco Rubio as a vice presidential pick

http://www.csmonitor.com/Commentary/...sidential-pick

This is an opinion piece of course, and I’m not saying I agree with everything it says, just giving a different perspective on the notion that Rubio would automatically lock up the Latino vote. I think it would give the GOP Florida, but that’s only a part of the Latino vote. Regardless, I don’t think he would accept the job anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Paul and Gingrich are the front-runners in the early states at the moment. That has the media absolutely terrified.

I'd say "paraphrasing" is quite the understatement.
    You are correct...he said to "offer them friendship" to stop them.

Semantics...

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hindes204 View Post
    You are correct...he said to "offer them friendship" to stop them.

Semantics...
    I would say you didn't quite grasp what he was getting at. Not a dig; a lot of people don't.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

I would say you didn't quite grasp what he was getting at. Not a dig; a lot of people don't.
    I read the transcript, I know his views, I know what he was getting at...I just dont agree

I read the transcript, I know his views, I know what he was getting at...I just dont agree
    It's the second statement I take issue with. Very evidently you *don't* know his views. Else you wouldn't be making such blatant distortions of them. He never suggested that "being nice" would alter the behavior of bad actors. I'm curious about where you got that impression.
    Perhaps it hasn't been condensed down enough for you to grasp it? If so, don't feel bed; you're not the only one. You are flatly incorrect when you assume that other Republican primary voters "won't" embrace it. He's currently winning in Iowa and #2 in New Hampshire. Some of 'em are capable of reading more than bumper stickers.

It's the second statement I take issue with. Very evidently you *don't* know his views. Else you wouldn't be making such blatant distortions of them. He never suggested that "being nice" would alter the behavior of bad actors. I'm curious about where you got that impression.
    Perhaps it hasn't been condensed down enough for you to grasp it? If so, don't feel bed; you're not the only one. You are flatly incorrect when you assume that other Republican primary voters "won't" embrace it. He's currently winning in Iowa and #2 in New Hampshire. Some of 'em are capable of reading more than bumper stickers.
    Your condescension is almost unbearable at times

Correction, it is unbearable

ignore

The Florida Hispanic vote is the only Hispanic vote I was talking about. This general will be all about Florida. It's still a winner-take-all primary.

In '08, Obama had to outspend McCain 7-1 in Florida, and they key was Puerto Ricans. He only won 51-49. Hopey will have his own troubles with latino voters when they find out he kicked more illegals out then any other President in history...

Rubio will deliver FL, and is also very conservative and helps shore up the base in other states.
    Fire Goodell

Your condescension is almost unbearable at times

Correction, it is unbearable

ignore
    Translation: "I'm wrong, I know it, and it's your fault".

I think most members here can appreciate the difference between "We need to mind our own business more often" and "We need to play patty-cake with our enemies so they'll like us".

Speaking of Gingrich, Chapman had an interesting piece on Newt today. It sums up some of that baggage nicely...

http://www.ohio.com/editorial/steve-...grich-1.246037

(A smattering of the duplicity)
    He says he is not convinced that global warming is taking place. But he once urged action to combat it — in a TV spot with Nancy Pelosi. He rejects the individual mandate in Obama’s health-care plan, even though he previously endorsed the idea. He denounces overspending after supporting Medicare prescription drug coverage, a huge new entitlement.

Most stunning was his reversal on Libya. In March, he faulted Obama for not intervening against Moammar Gadhafi. A couple of weeks later, after Obama did just that, Gingrich announced, “I would not have intervened.”

If he has not done enough to antagonize conservatives, he has done plenty to scare off everyone else, with a stream of inflammatory statements that suggest demagoguery or lunacy.
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Interesting how this kind of dirt is not dug up on Romney, but is dug up on who is pushing him at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Interesting how this kind of dirt is not dug up on Romney, but is dug up on who is pushing him at the moment.
    First off, there isn't the same kind of "dirt" to be dug up. And Newt does this stuff to himself...like obfuscating on just exactly how much money he took from Freddie Mac.

And Romney has almost constantly been labeled a flip-flopper...so it's not like he hasn't been run through the wringer already.
    Fire Goodell

Reigning Black & Gold Array title="venom has a reputation beyond repute"> venom's Avatar

That will be a great ticket , but Rubio said on FOX ( if I can remember ) that he would be flattered but wouldn't want the VP nomination by a Presidental candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by venom View Post
    That will be a great ticket , but Rubio said on FOX ( if I can remember ) that he would be flattered but wouldn't want the VP nomination by a Presidental candidate.
    Every possible VP candidate in history has said that...
    Fire Goodell

^Wishful thinking.

Like I said in another thread, I still think he is a little too young and honestly believe him when he says he will not accept the offer of VP. I know you say every VP candidate has said that, but usually they make a more ambiguous statement to leave the door even slightly open. He has slammed that door shut every time he has been asked.

Like I said in another thread, I still think he is a little too young and honestly believe him when he says he will not accept the offer of VP. I know you say every VP candidate has said that, but usually they make a more ambiguous statement to leave the door even slightly open. He has slammed that door shut every time he has been asked.
    He isn't my first choice...he's probably not even in my top 5. I just think that political realities will take precedent here...GOP needs Florida, Rubio delivers Florida, ergo, Romney VP's Rubio.
    Fire Goodell

member since day 1 Array title="7SteelGal43 is a name known to all"> 7SteelGal43's Avatar

So far, I'm pulling for Rick Perry, but it's still early. We'll see how it goes. Romney is just a l'il to much like 'the other side' for my liking.
    Stay classy, leftnutz

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

I dunno about Rubio. The GOP shouldn't rush its best prospects to the majors. Lesson they should have learned in 2008.