Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Republican Nominee Thread

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

Re: 2012 Republican Nominee Thread

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    The other thing that worries me a little is Barry dumping Biden and picking up Hillary.
    Absolutely. That would be the smartest thing he could do. Just swap the spots, Clinton as Vice, which will gear her up for 2016, which is what she ultimately wants, and appoint Biden Secratary of State, a job that I think he wants.

Another democrat milestone for them to get behind, a woman in the white house. If it happens it will be interesting to watch the coverage of Hillary as a vice candidate in comparison to the coverage that Palin received.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Even as horrible a POS as Obama has been as President, Independents would hold their nose and vote for that ticket because Hillary is VERY strong on foreign policy, as well she should be.

Meanwhile the GOP is dicking around playing with stupid ideas like Ron Paul, who would be CRUSHED by a Obama/Clinton ticket. It's time to stop fucking around and coalesce around a viable, electable GOP candidate who at least stands a chance against Obama's 1 BILLION dollar war chest (funded in no small part by Wall Street).
    Fire Goodell

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

What's up with Newt? After crying and whining about all the negative attack ads, he's set to launch a whole series of negative attack ads. Talk about being a hypocrite!
    Fire Goodell

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

Yea, that's a mistake...makes him seem like a bitter sore loser. His popularity came from being positive and out smarting the opponents during the debates. This negativity will be the end of his run.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hindes204 View Post
    If Paul runs as a third party candidate, he will garauntee another 4 years for Obama.
    I always was of the opinion that Ross Perot was the biggest reason why Bill Clinton unseated George Bush Sr. in 92.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    I always was of the opinion that Ross Perot was the biggest reason why Bill Clinton unseated George Bush Sr. in 92.
    You are correct, sir. And I admit I was part of that problem. I voted Perot. But that crazy little fucker seemed so RIGHT!

Anyway, that was the precociousness and unbridled enthusiasm of youth...As I got older and wiser I stopped backing fringy "third way" candidates. That's why I backed off of Ron Paul.
    Fire Goodell

Official Troll Array title="The Patriot is a name known to all"> The Patriot's Avatar

Newt has always been vindictive. That's why he was so successful getting Republican legislation passed in the 90s. He made the House Speakership a miniature bully pulpit and got Republicans to strictly vote with the party. Romney would be smart to win him over with the promise of a Cabinet position. Otherwise, beware the wrath of Newt.

To be fair, I think Newt should be the one fearing Romney. Gingrich has no power and Romney is about a year from becoming the most powerful man in the World...
    Fire Goodell

So whos skipping football to watch the debate tonight?

Ill switch back and forth, try to catch as much as I can of both.

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

So whos skipping football to watch the debate tonight?

Ill switch back and forth, try to catch as much as I can of both.
    Not really interested in the debate. If the nomination is still up for grabs when the Mississippi primary rolls around, I'll do some intensive research on the remaining candidates and vote for one of them.

I think it'll be interesting to see how Santorum does with the bullseye now on his back

Don't forget....MSNBC. has another debate tomorrow morning at 9 AM. I don't ever remember two debates within 10 hours of each other....
    Fire Goodell

I think I've finally figured out what drove me away from Paul. In watching these debates, as he's up there answering questions, I always think that even I could do a better job in clearly stating his position. Not saying that's not true of others on the stage as well, but Paul always seem to use the wrong analogy, or no analogy, or be too simple, or too complex, or mix too many ideas together. I just almost always think "That's not the best way to convey his thoughts on that plank or policy".

I've felt this way about others at times, but almost always when Paul speaks.
    Fire Goodell

Some surprises last night...Huntsman did well despite occupying "The Romney Lane". That bodes well down the road for Mitt since most of that support will slide to him. Perry looks to be done...how do you build momentum for SC with 1%? Paul is skipping FL...that'll likely be the end of him showing so well in polls. I also can't see Santorum lasting much longer. I think Gingrich and Paul will hang on until the break in February, and then this will be pretty much wrapped up...the voters will start to coalesce behind the obvious nominee in SC and FL...
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Ron Paul seems very ethical, caring and cosistent when compared to many of the other candidates but I agree he needs to work on his delivery.

Contrary to most politicians he may be too much substance and not enough style....
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Ron Paul seems very ethical, caring and cosistent when compared to many of the other candidates but I agree he needs to work on his delivery.

Contrary to most politicians he may be too much substance and not enough style....
    I will say this for him. He does not waver or waffle. There are many planks in his platform that the GOP is just NEVER going to agree with. All the trouble in Mexico, plus a good bit of prison overcrowding would literally CEASE the day we legalized (and started taxing, which is a new revenue stream) marijuana. I have also never seen anyone get high and go on a shooting rampage, or even start fights. He does not shy away or back off that issue, even though it will cause him to have a very hard sell in a state like South Carolina. It's just too bad he's so nutty on other things...
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

I will say this for him. He does not waver or waffle. There are many planks in his platform that the GOP is just NEVER going to agree with. All the trouble in Mexico, plus a good bit of prison overcrowding would literally CEASE the day we legalized (and started taxing, which is a new revenue stream) marijuana. I have also never seen anyone get high and go on a shooting rampage, or even start fights. He does not shy away or back off that issue, even though it will cause him to have a very hard sell in a state like South Carolina. It's just too bad he's so nutty on other things...
    Good point.

If I could do an interview with any of the candidates while they were stoned I would choose Ron Paul.

He would be the most entertaining if you got him loosened up imo.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Its Romey's to lose at this point. I'd like to see how Perry does in SC. The 1% means nothing, he totally skipped NH. The same thing happened to Huntsman (1%) in Iowa, then he came back in NH finishing third. Paul is steadily rising in popularity, but this can only help Romney as Paul will NEVER get the Republican nomination.

The difference is that Huntsman worked NH the way Santorum worked Iowa. Perry is just hoping that they like him in SC based on his social conservatism, but Santorum, who WAS a non-factor, is now taking up that lane. I think Perry is done.

I also saw "King of Bain". Wow, what a "Willie Horton" style hatchet job...and it's pure sour grapes, being produced by all ex-Romney aides-de-campe...desperation hail Mary time by Newt.
    Fire Goodell

By the way, I'd like to commend Dr. Paul on his handling of the smear campaign against Romney. Santorum too, to some degree, but this is what Paul had to say in regards to Newt's shameless backing of the hatchet job video "King of Bain":

“I think they’re wrong. I think they’re totally misunderstanding the way the market works. They are either just demagoguing or they don’t have the vaguest idea how the market works. You save companies, you save jobs when you reorganize companies that are going to go bankrupt. They don’t understand. I think they’re way overboard on saying that he wants to fire people, he doesn’t care, you save companies, you save jobs when you reorganize companies that are going to go bankrupt. And they don’t understand that.”
    Fire Goodell

Huntsman is done.

I think Perry is next. While he has gobs of cash, Santorum seems to be taking up his lane, and there have just been too many gaffe's. Doesn't help Perry that the (largely irrelevant) fundamentalist Evangelical's dissed him in favor of Santorum (slightly shocking, since he's Catholic, and obviously [sarcasm] going to Hell) followed by serial sinner Newt Gingrich. I think SC will end up 1. Romney 2. Gingrich 3. Santorum/Paul (probably close enough to call it a tie) 4. Perry and he'll fold.

If there are any surprises, it'd probably be Santorun stealing second.
    Fire Goodell

I was just coming in here to post pretty much what you already did. Huntsman will bow out today and endorse Romney (wonder what Romney offered him...Sec/State?). I also think Perry is done after SC. Newt will Never give up, and Santorum still has some momentum. Paul has some momentum too and I'm surprised he's still around. So now we'll be down to four. Romney will get his votes, and the other three will split the rest.

Romney will win...

I don't think Romney had to offer anything (ala "Ides of March"), I just think it was the natural fit.
    Fire Goodell

I don't think Romney had to offer anything (ala "Ides of March"), I just think it was the natural fit.
    Yea, a moderate backing a moderate, I guess its no stretch. And he was polling pretty low in SC so Im guessing it was just his time to give up. The "offer" was just the first thing that popped into my head this morning.

Yea, a moderate backing a moderate, I guess its no stretch. And he was polling pretty low in SC so Im guessing it was just his time to give up. The "offer" was just the first thing that popped into my head this morning.
    He WOULD make a good cabinet selection, and State would certainly be appropriate because of his knowledge of China. But I have a feeling it's too big of a carrot for someone who would certainly be willing and able to serve already. He can dangle that out as bait elsewhere...

Also, I'm not sure where this idea originated that Huntsman is a moderate. He's far from moderate. Just because the guy says there is science backing Global Warming does NOT mean the other planks on his platform are "trumped".
    Fire Goodell

He WOULD make a good cabinet selection, and State would certainly be appropriate because of his knowledge of China. But I have a feeling it's too big of a carrot for someone who would certainly be willing and able to serve already. He can dangle that out as bait elsewhere...

Also, I'm not sure where this idea originated that Huntsman is a moderate. He's far from moderate. Just because the guy says there is science backing Global Warming does NOT mean the other planks on his platform are "trumped".
    Fiscally conservative maybe, but socially, definitely not. That, in my mind, makes him a moderate.

From (very liberal) Salon (actually a perfect critic and legitimate citation, since he's dropped out in re Huntsman's conservative street cred):
    http://www.salon.com/2012/01/16/jon_...tyr/singleton/

But let’s not treat Huntsman as some kind of ultra-principled martyr. He’s an ambitious politician whose overall platform was far more conservative and tactically-driven than many realized. His economic program, for instance, was nothing short of radical — massive reductions for the super-wealthy and for corporations — and seemed tailor-made to win approval from the GOP’s supply-side wing. He also provided the most unqualified endorsement of Rep. Paul Ryan’s plan to end Medicare as it now exists, was just as insistent as every other candidate that healthcare reform and the Dodd-Frank bank reform law be repealed, and sang the standard conservative tune on abortion, gay marriage, gun control and most other hot-button issues.

It wasn’t hard to see the strategy that was at work: Ride the “sane” image to a breakthrough showing in finicky, independent-friendly New Hampshire, then be positioned to win over suddenly curious national conservatives by saying, “Have you actually looked at my platform — I’m not the moderate you’ve heard I am.”

To me he was always far more conservative than portrayed, and proof-positive that people will accept what they spoon-fed from the media. THEY decided he was a moderate and sold him that way...doesn't mean it's true.
    Fire Goodell

That's also a big part of the reason the Paul kooks hated him...they were convinced there was conspiracy against Ron Paul and assumed that the reason Huntsman got more coverage was because the media liked him because he was more moderate. In fact, Huntsman was NEVER that moderate, and I have no idea why the media portrayed him that way...possibly because he worked for Obama so they just assumed without vetting. Anyway, it was just the pop media being lazy. They don't cover Paul because he's a fringe candidate, no matter how hard he tries to say he's not...and it had nothing to do with Huntsman.
    Fire Goodell

Huntsman has some views that are not "in line" with conservatives. Im not saying I agree with anything one way or the other, just that his views clash with conservatives. His views on DADT, illegal immigrants, gay marriage, global warming, cap and trade, and pulling immediately out of Afghanistan just to name a few. Like I said, he was very conservative on fiscal issues, but its the other views that put him "outside the circle"

Huntsman:

-He's against Gay marriage, but for civil unions, which many GOP agree with
    -He said DOMA "served a useful purpose"
    -STRONG pro-gun
    -Wanted an amendment banning abortion

I'm sorry, but as a middle-left leaning social moderate, I think the preponderance of his views, even socially, are still pretty conservative.
    Fire Goodell