Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Republican Nominee Thread

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

Re: 2012 Republican Nominee Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    I dunno about Rubio. The GOP shouldn't rush its best prospects to the majors. Lesson they should have learned in 2008.
    Agreed...I think he needs a few more years under his belt.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

I concur...there are smarter choices that will energize and rally the base. But, I just have this hunch....
    Fire Goodell

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

Few thoughts from the 1,000,000,000th Republican debate:

Newt did well, he's one hell of a debater. I think his stance on illegal immigration will hurt him a little though.

Mitt was Mitt, steady as usual, he will remain steady in the polls.

Cain is done

This was Huntsman's chance to shine and I think he did very well. He gets off topic sometimes, but you can tell he has a plethora of forein policy knowledge

Bachmann did ok, still think she's just about out of it though.

Ron Paul is Ron Paul. He has his beliefs and he's not afraid to tell you what he thinks, no matter how against the mainstream it is. It's admirable, I like him, just don't think he has a chance. I don't agree with some of the things he says, but he opens up a dialogue on some issues.

Rick Perry seemed uncomfortable up there as usual, don't think he will climb at all in the polls after this one.

Hophead Array title="SCSTILLER has a spectacular aura about"> SCSTILLER's Avatar

I know I will get crap for saying this, and he will never get the nod to be the Republic Nominee, but Santorum just always seems steady in the debates when he gets the floor. He sticks to his guns, doesn't fumble around with the words, doesn't seem to circle talk, just a good debater in my opinion. But, like I said earlier, he will never get the nod and that is good because he wouldn't beat the Annointed One (cue angelic music now)
    "The mountains are calling and I must go!" -- John Muir

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

I'll give Santorum credit for one thing: He's probably the most conservative guy on the stage, and he was "TEA Party" before it was chic to be TEA Party. But I find him to be........unlikeable. I don't agree with everything everyone says, and some of these people I'm not crazy about based on their zealotry and extreme ideological positions, but I can at least see some charm and likability in one shape or another from all these candidates. Not Santorum...he's just kind of creepy.

But he does have the high ground on a lot of these issues. When he says something like "I've been out front on this issue since 1989...." he's not lying.

Huntsman, by the way, was on SNL...he was a little cardboard, but otherwise did well. Those are the kinds of things that can at least bump a candidate a couple points. He needs at least 3rd place finish in NH or he's done, though...
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="BlacknGoldBabe has a spectacular aura about">

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Translation: "I'm wrong, I know it, and it's your fault".

I think most members here can appreciate the difference between "We need to mind our own business more often" and "We need to play patty-cake with our enemies so they'll like us".
    Personally, I'm sick and tired of the "patty-cake" business.

This country has been subsidizing other countries with mountains of cash since WWII, at least. England and France STILL owe, and chances are that they will never repay it all. Many American service men paid with life and limb for the "police action" in Korea. The US kicked Japan's asses, then turned around and gave them the technology to make everything that we made here.

America better start thinking twice about who they make "cakes" with. All this baking business is starting to stink.

Quote Originally Posted by BlacknGoldBabe View Post
    Personally, I'm sick and tired of the "patty-cake" business.

This country has been subsidizing other countries with mountains of cash since WWII, at least. England and France STILL owe, and chances are that they will never repay it all. Many American service men paid with life and limb for the "police action" in Korea. The US kicked Japan's asses, then turned around and gave them the technology to make everything that we made here.

America better start thinking twice about who they make "cakes" with. All this baking business is starting to stink.
    To be fair, one of the major reasons why the post WWII US economy boomed like no other economy in history was that we were not saddled with the devastation of occupation and/or having to fight a war within our borders. While everyone else was busy clearing rubble, rebuilding and recreating their infrastructure, we simply shifted our huge industrial might from making war to making consumer goods. We had wealth, but a big chunk of that wealth came from everyone else buying everything we made. The reasons for our demise have much more to do with our own complacency than external factors.

That's why I don't necessarily begrudge debtor nations their war reparations they owe us. In a sense, they did repay us...

Another aside, look at what a favor the Japanese auto industry did for the US. While we kept building crappy gas guzzlers with planned obsolescence (We literally built cars NOT to last so people would buy new ones every few years), they took what we did and made it better. The US learned the lesson painfully, but now quality and longevity are taken into account and the US built cars are as good or better than anyone else's. In the meantime, Japan's economy has been in the shitter for 20 years, we've had two full booms and 1 1/2 busts since, and will dig out of this one before they ever do.

Finally, as far as this naive and Utopian position Ron Paul takes towards the rest of the World, this "live and let live" ideal, it's not realistic or tenable. We took that view twice, once before WWI and again before WWII. US sitting on the sidelines and "minding our own business" made the losses we accumulated during both wars far worse than had we just accepted our role and engaged sooner rather than later. It is and was inevitable. Think about our role in Chamberlain's appeasement, or our "neutrality" pertaining to German U-boats prior to WWII (just as two quick examples...there are many, many more) and you'll see why an actively engaged United States is always better than "US as passive observer". Shockingly, Michelle Bachmann has been the one most on point in re this matter in the GOP debates.
    Fire Goodell

So, looks like Cain will drop out of the race. I have to admit, I was one of the people excited about him running, unfortunately his campaign was run into the ground by his own inability to understand how politics work.

Looks like it will come down to Newt and Romney. I will most likely vote for Newt, but think Romney will get the nod.

Cain never stood a chance...he had less foreign policy knowledge than Palin. And he's a compulsive liar....do you know any other old men who pay all the bills for 20-year-younger fitness instructors and DON'T have sex with them?

Please.

He was caught...it's better to fess up than to "Clinton it"...
    Fire Goodell

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Cain should've avoided that special lady-shimmer.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

I'm having some trouble digesting the uber-hypocrisy of the evangelical far-right. They seem to prefer Gingrich over Romney, which makes no sense at all when you compare the two.

Gingrich has been married several times, and was pursuing an affair of his own as he was attempting to get Clinton impeached for HIS dalliance. On the other hand, Romney is a devout religious man, has been married only once, has a huge and close-knit family, and doesn't smoke, drink, or even drink coffee. What's more, in Stark comparison to serial cheater Gingrich, not only has Romney only been married once, he actually stayed faithful to his then girlfriend Ann while on his 30 month Mormon mission in France. The dude is such a boy scout, he actually tithes 10%, pre-tax, and always has. His estimated net worth is 250 million dollars.

Are fundamentalists so myopic that they will delude themselves to the point of jumping over someone who is basically the apotheosis of a good Christian to get to a flawed and morally corrupt man JUST because the devout guy doesn't fit in exactly with their idea of Christianity?

In the interest of fairness, I think Mormonism is a pretty silly religion...but no more silly than any other religion if you really think about it. Besides, personal religion in a secular country that divides church and state should not be a factor at all, rather the moral character of a man. It seems to me that Romney epitomizes morality, while Gingrich only considers morality situationally...
    Fire Goodell

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

The more and more I pay attention to many on the far-right, the more hypocritical they become, IMO. By supporting Gingrich over Romney, they are basically saying that his morality doesn't matter, so long as he has the right political beliefs. Which is exactly what they accuse liberals of doing. Stones...glass houses...you know the drill. If the religious right really cared about a candidate's morality, they'd throw their support behind Romney without a moment's hesitation.

The irony of that is that Gingrich has vacillated more on the conservative planks than any other candidate running!
    Fire Goodell

So this thread has fallen off a little, but now that the voting has begun (in a few hours) there should be much more to talk about. Santorum just came out of nowhere, a flavor of the week that has peaked at just the right time. I was wrong about Gingrich staying neck and neck with Romney, I severely underestimated Romneys negative campaign capabilities. Paul will most likely do very well in Iowa, but I dont think he will last much further than that. Santorum is a very conservative choice for evangelicals to get behind. I think he is a little odd and lacks the "personality" to gain traction. I think after today, Bachmann will be done even though she predicted a miracle.

Romney, as always, remains steady. I dont see anyone else getting the nomination but him.

Reigning Black & Gold Array title="venom has a reputation beyond repute"> venom's Avatar

Like I said before , its Romney's to lose - He should win

I was being kind by keeping this discussion in the Paul thread.

Did you know something like 40% of the caucus members in Iowa are still undecided? I don't subscribe to the theory that all Iowans are idiots or meth heads...I'm pretty sure they know who can and will beat Obama in 11 months...
    Fire Goodell

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    I was being kind by keeping this discussion in the Paul thread.

Did you know something like 40% of the caucus members in Iowa are still undecided? I don't subscribe to the theory that all Iowans are idiots or meth heads...I'm pretty sure they know who can and will beat Obama in 11 months...

The funny thing is, Iowa doesnt really matter much in the grand scheme of things. I guess you can argue that it thins the field a little and builds up campaign funds for top finishers, but the outcome of Iowa doesnt matter much. At least not as much as the media makes it seem. The whole damn country heads to Iowa every four years and the news talks about nothing else for weeks leading up to it.

Official Troll Array title="The Patriot is a name known to all"> The Patriot's Avatar

I don't think Iowans are hicks, but I don't necessarily think they should decide the GOP candidates. Sometimes I wish party insiders would make some selections. Romney and Gingrich are the only two candidates who are actually qualified. They're also the two least personable, so you have these loony demagogues like Donald Trump, Rick Perry, Herman Cain, and Michele Bachmann stealing the spotlight periodically. It's a big country. There are plenty of knowledgeable intelligent conservatives. Cain couldn't even put a sentence together about Libya. Everybody on this forum knows more about foreign policy than him.

I don't mean to pick on them, but the Presidency is not a job for the average person. Romney got a perfect score on his SAT, someone accused him of cheating, took it again, and got another perfect score. Gingrich is a PhD and was one of the most effective House Speakers in US history. Obama is a Harvard Law constitutional scholar, and even he looks lost and inexperienced as President. Are we to believe that Iowans are gonna pick the right person for the job after watching some phony advertisements and listening to a dozen watered-down debates?

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Santorum's conservative roots and momentum coupled with the undecideds and lack enthusiasm for the other candidates could set the stage for a huge Santorum win in Iowa.

Also, half of his increased support statistically appears to have come from Romneys supporters.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Paul Romney and santorum are tied right now. This bodes well for Romney due to the fact if this keeps up, a lot of votes will split between Santorum and Paul, leaving Romney to coast...

More to come...

EDIT- just to clarify, I'm speaking of the overall race, not just Iowa. These will be your top three in Iowa, and the longer the "Romney alternatives" stick around, and the more of them there are, the more they will split the votes.

Quote Originally Posted by The Patriot View Post
    Romney got a perfect score on his SAT, someone accused him of cheating, took it again, and got another perfect score.
    Source? That's the first I can remember hearing that...

Most of you are sleeping, I'm on the west coast so I'm still watching this stuff. Amazing how close this is.

That was a HUGE win for Romney. He only paid attention to Iowa for a week and a half...Santorum, I think, is at least on the map, but he's peaked. I think Paul has, too.

Next week it will probably be:
    1. Romney
    2. Gingrich
    3. Paul
    4. Huntsman

I suspect Perry will show in SC because of his social conservatism, but by Florida, this thing will be Romney's.

Just as an aside, I was watching coverage of this last night, and Herm Cain was one of the analysts. I have to say, I like him a LOT more in that capacity. He was funny, quick witted, and on the mark. One of the "Cainisms" was him commenting on Obama's approval numbers. He said something along the lines of "Obama has hovered around 40-45% approval ratings. That means that 45% of the people in this Country are CLUELESS that this guy has no idea what he's doing! Add in the gullible, and all the TV ads he can buy, and he may just get elected again", or something along those lines. Palin was also on...I turned off coverage and went to bed when that idiot started blathering on...
    Fire Goodell

Scratch that...Perry skipped SC and headed home to Texas. That almost certainly means he is done...
    Fire Goodell

Perrys done, so is Bachmann....I think they will both drop out very soon. I think it was a mistake for Huntsman to totally ignore Iowa, if anything, being there would have gotten his name out there. Santorum will pick up a little steam from his showing in Iowa. Gingrich will do ok but the negative ads (and Romney can afford a lot of them) are killing him.

Yes, Bachman is out, too. Disagree about Huntsman. It was actually very smart to do what he did...Santorum proved that good ole show leather still works, and that has been Huntsman's strategy all along...we'll see how it plays out. Now that the field has narrowed by another two, he actually needs to pick-up some of the slack (not necessarily in NH...I don't think there was much for Bachman or Perry there to begin with). He's DEFINITELY not going to steal from the Bachman camp, those votes will slide to Paul, but she was already kind of a non-factor. I'm curious to see where Perry supporters wind up in SC...I actually think it's a mistake for him to concede this early. SC would have been kind to him. I had him probably tied for second with Gingrich there...
    Fire Goodell

Like I said in an earlier post, in the grand scheme of things, Iowa doesn't matter...that's exactly how huntsman feels about it I guess. I still say he could have benefitted from showing up there.

This just in, Perry is staying in. Wonder if his decision was influenced by Bachmann bowing out. Perry is pretty much skipping NH and heading straight to SC. This could get interesting...

Well, Perry was skipping NH all along. His original plan was to head straight there since he knew he wasn't going to make any headway in NH. Huntsman conceded Iowa so he could cris-cross NH and try to just saturate the state with his presence, ala Santorum in Iowa. If he'd have done Iowa, he would have watered down BOTH states. I think it was his best play.

Paul has also peaked...third was not what he was counting on. He could still do massive damage to the GOP if he runs as an Independent or third party or whatever later, though...he's not going to be a factor in the interim, but that's worth keeping an eye on...
    Fire Goodell

If Paul runs as a third party candidate, he will garauntee another 4 years for Obama.

The other thing that worries me a little is Barry dumping Biden and picking up Hillary.
    Fire Goodell