Thread: Veterans Day Chat

Hybrid View

Re: Veterans Day Chat

Steelers Universe: And on behalf of myself and the other administrators and moderators of Steelers Universe, I'd like to extend a warm welcome and a very gracious thank you to Antonio Brown for taking time out of his busy schedule to join us this evening.

Antonio Brown: Thanks for having me here.

Steelers Universe: Appreciate you taking the time! Our first question is from Shawn Hindes.

Technical Sergeant Shawn Hindes,Travis Air Force Base, Active Duty Air Force 2000-Present: Antonio, With your breakout games this year there is a lot of buzz about you taking over the #2 spot behind Wallace. Your story is one that kids can look up to. Can you tell us a little bit about your journey from Liberty City all the way to being considered one of the best WR's on a team like the Steelers, what advice can you give the kids who watch you every Sunday?

Antonio Brown:
    Stay positive. Dont let your circumstances bring you down. All things are possible through God. Be committed to the job.

John King, AT-3 USN, Desert Storm: Antonio, With all the recent rule changes that have been designed to remove physicality from the game, what do you see the Steelers "signature style" being going forward?

Antonio Brown: Our style is to continue to be physical. It is a signature of our work, our identity, who we are and how we play.

ABF AN O'Malley, USS NIMITZ CVN 68, Desert Shield: Antonio what makes this young group of receivers so special?

Antonio Brown: We are all capable of big plays. Everyone has their own talents but everyone can fill in anywhere when needed.

Gary Barndollar, USAF, Senior Airman, Lajes Field Azore Islands Portugal: Do you still follow the same team that you liked as a kid?

Antonio Brown: No, not really. I liked the cowboys as a kid. Emmitt Smith and all those guys, but I always liked the Steelers organization and what they represented.

Dean,PV2 US Army ,Sweinfurt Germany, 1992-1995: How often do you actually browse these forums and have you ever been tempted to post to them before?

Antonio Brown: Now I can log on periodically and check in.
    I have a question for the soldiers and I will be back next week to see the answer. What is the hardest part of the discipline that goes into being in the service? Describe that process for me.

Gary, SP4 USAR, 297th Supt BN, Ft Richardson, AK: For me, personally, it was (at least partially) sacrificing some freedoms that ironically, you took an oath to defend with your life. For instance, a member of the unit I was assigned to once got an Article 15, which is a disciplinary action (similar to a fine), for getting a sunburn. In effect, a service member is considered "government property" to some extent. That was the hardest thing I had wrapping my head around, at least. Thanks again for taking the time, Antonio!

Technical Sergeant Shawn Hindes,Travis Air Force Base: First, thank you so much for visiting the site and giving us your time. For a lifelong steeler fan like me it means a lot. As far as your question, I think it's all in the training and leadership. I'm sure in training camp you guys are pushed to your limits and rely on the guys who have been through it...it's the same for us, we survive because of the training we recieve. I have been lucky enough to serve for about 11 years now, so at 31 years old I am considered a guy that knows what's going on and is relied upon to train the younger guys. I know we have different missions, but the structure is probably more similar than you think.

Scott Benfield Cpl US Army, Karlsruhe, Germany 88-92: For me the hardest part was just trusting the person beside me, but over time you bond and know that person beside you through all the training you both receive is going to be where they are suppose to be. It really isnt as different then playing football you know that the guys are going to be there when you need them the most. I would like to thank you for spending time with us tonight it is a real treat even if you think it is not a big deal. THANK YOU!

Steelers Universe: Folks that is it for the chat with Antonio Brown. We appreciate his willingness to reach out to our Vets and we hope it made your Veterans Day special. Sounds like he is going to be checking in every now and again. Big Thanks to Julie Bullock for helping transcribe the chat as we had some technical difficulties.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Thank you, Antonio, for making this Veterans Day a very memorable one for our SU service members!

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Awesome job Perry and everyone else involved for getting this set up!

Living Legend Array title="Dino 6 Rings has a spectacular aura about"> Dino 6 Rings's Avatar

Thank you Antonio for taking the time to join our forum and chat with us.

To answer your question, the hardest part of being in the service, has already been talked about, its giving up all the rights that you swear to defend. You are no longer a Civilian, you are the defender of all the things Civilians take for granted. That is such a hard part of it. Dicipline, heck, just keep your nose clean, keep your mouth shut, and learn to do a Lot of push-ups...lots of push-ups.
    SuperBowl Wins - How many does YOUR team have? Steelers 6, 49ers 5, Cowboys 5, Packers 4, Giants 4, Pats 4, Redskins 3, Raiders 3, Broncos 2, Dolphins 2, Colts 2, Ravens 2, Bears 1, Jets 1, Bucs 1, Rams 1, Chiefs 1, Saints 1, Hawks 1

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Way to go Perry and everyone else involved with the this for putting the chat together!

Test

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

What a great guy for coming in and talking to us, I really enjoyed it. Thank you Antonio Brown and thank you SU for setting the whole thing up!

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Wow. That is just awesome. Thanks SU, this is a special place. Thanks to the Vets.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Antonio,
    The discipline was instilled in basic training. They just sorta build it into us
    It starts on the first day, when everything is set up to erase your identity as an individual *and* as a member of a group. Then they make it very clear who's in charge through drilling and PT. Afterwards, they start making every goal a team effort, so that the primary concern for each recruit is the team and mission.

Thanks for taking the time to talk with us. I hope you knock the Bengals flat tomorrow!
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="SteelerEmpire has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerEmpire's Avatar

Levi Pollard, USN, USS Carl Vinson CVN-70, Flight Deck Troubleshooter, 85-89.

The hardest part of the accepting the level of discipline needed to be successful in the military, for me, rests with the soldiers "readiness or preparedness" for the military. If you enter the service and are not motivated or really don't want to be there, you'll almost definitely have a problem at some point. Every member has a story as to why they volunteered to be there, so one's level of discipline varies from person to person. Thank goodness that most of the personnel that make it past boot camp usually make it through their entire commitment. The drive to be a successful soldier or sailor comes from within and is brought out by the good instructors, teachers and upper chain of command in our military. You eventually find out you can be more productive and can do a lot more things than you ever thought you could.

Thanks for taking the time to give a shot-out to us Antonio. I think you, Hines, Heath, Mike and Sanders make up the best receiving core in the league and no defense really has an answer for you ! Keep making us proud of you guys !!!
    Last edited by SteelerEmpire; 12-11-2011 at 08:09 AM.

Junior Member Array title="nathan_riordan is an unknown quantity at this point"> nathan_riordan's Avatar

Very cool
    I hate the Packers

Living Legend Array title="Dino 6 Rings has a spectacular aura about"> Dino 6 Rings's Avatar

to my fellow Vets...

GO ARMY BEAT NAVY!!!!
    SuperBowl Wins - How many does YOUR team have? Steelers 6, 49ers 5, Cowboys 5, Packers 4, Giants 4, Pats 4, Redskins 3, Raiders 3, Broncos 2, Dolphins 2, Colts 2, Ravens 2, Bears 1, Jets 1, Bucs 1, Rams 1, Chiefs 1, Saints 1, Hawks 1

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post
    to my fellow Vets...

GO ARMY BEAT NAVY!!!!
    AF beat them both...just saying

Quote Originally Posted by Hindes204 View Post
    AF beat them both...just saying
    stinking fly boys!

Senior Member Array title="SteelerEmpire has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerEmpire's Avatar

Navy beats Army for the 10th straight time 27-21 !!! Go Navy !!!

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerEmpire View Post
    Navy beats Army for the 10th straight time 27-21 !!! Go Navy !!!
    LOL Army almost always loses when we are at War..all our best players are already off fighting for freedom...navy...well anyone can sit on a boat for months at a time doing nothing

GO ARMY BEAT NAVY! (one day...it'll happen again.)

Black and Gold baby ! Love these colors !!!

Hey! Veteran's day coming up!

Hophead Array title="SCSTILLER has a spectacular aura about"> SCSTILLER's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post
    stinking fly boys!
    And proud of it! Was talking to a Marine buddy of mine over a few beers and he talked about when he was on Harrier Jump Jets and was sent on a joint exercise out in Nellis. He said the Harrier boys got to go to an observation post on the range and watch their Harrier drop a 500 lb'er and they were all beating their chests and hoopin and hollerin. He said they soon stood in awe as a B-52 came over and dropped her load, then he said that they realized they can take a city block by block, but the AF can take a city out in one pass.

Just wanted to share the story he told me. The inter-service rivalry is always fun, and I have nothing but respect for my brothers and sister in arms! Happy Veterans Day!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and BTW, sitting here watching Band of Brothers on Spike TV and something hit me. The WW2 Veterans will only be around for a few year longer. Any chance you get make sure to say "Thank You" because the chances to say that are going to become few and far between.

We had a Tuskegee Airman, Lt. Col. Hiram Mann, come speak at Charleston AFB a few days ago and it was an honor and a privilege to hear him speak. The stories that he had were incredible, not only the ones of combat, but the ones of having to reach combat. Great Honor!
    "The mountains are calling and I must go!" -- John Muir

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

Happy veterans day to all that have served! I want to thank those families that lost someone as well you paid one of the ultimate sacrifices

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Thank you current and former soldiers

Navy beats Army "11th" straight time !!! Steelers vs Browns, Steelers vs Bengals, Navy vs Army, ... lol...

LINK: http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/501316...lege_football/