Thread: How long, in your opinion, does the ''So-and-So won us a championship'' excuse last?

Senior Member Array title="The WH will become famous soon enough"> The WH's Avatar

How long, in your opinion, does the ''So-and-So won us a championship'' excuse last?

I couldn't think of what sports thread to put this in.

IMO it last 1 season. If a player wins a championship and then falls flat on their face the next year, i'll give them a pass in my opinion. After that, it's under the bus they go.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Re: How long, in your opinion, does the ''So-and-So won us a championship'' excuse la

LOL that's a good question.

I hear it all the time when people defend B.A. that we won a championship with him as our O.C. to which I reply we also won with Mitch Berger as our punter, but he didn't get an invite back the next year.

So with all that reasoning I guess IMHO it would be what have you done for me lately season by season unless there is some extenuating circumstance.

Tiger Lion and Steel Array title="SteelCityMan786 will become famous soon enough"> SteelCityMan786's Avatar

Where the lands are a mix of Black and Gold with some Blue and White

Re: How long, in your opinion, does the ''So-and-So won us a championship'' excuse la

We live in the what have you done for me lately world. It can be a pain in the butt mentality that's for sure. Although if you're not doing the work(basically producing the same results Matt Millen did), then that's when I would call for the pink slip.
    786 Ways to score touchdowns

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Player or coach? Different standards for the two, IMO. For a (head) coach, I think it buys at least 3 years of goodwill. Assistant coaches are at the mercy of the HC in most cases - Whisenhunt canned his DC after they lost the SB to us, for example. For a player, it depends on the position, and even the sport, really - a player can have a great year numbers-wise and their team may still underachieve as a whole (in this example a QB) - is it fair that they get the blame for that?

The Princess' Daddy! Array title="stlrtruck will become famous soon enough"> stlrtruck's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

I would say it depends on the greatness of the player:
    Lemieux - eternity
    70's Steelers Teams player - eternity
    Jagr - statue of limitation has expired, two days before he signed with the crapitals

60 MINS, 53 MEN, 1 NATION
    STEELERS NATION

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

IMO, once you win a championship, it's something that cannot be taken away. Someone may try to discredit or downplay it, but that's all they can do. It doesn't change the fact that he has a ring on his finger. Having said that, it should buy a coach at least 4 or 5 years if the teams continue to have good seasons. Players...I don't think there should be a limit on that. There's a lot of extenuating circumstances that may go into the success or failure of a player.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

It will be interesting to see what kind of year Marc Andre has next year? I think the additions they've made on the backline should help him out.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."