Thread: Gil Brandt Suggests Replacing Colon with...

Fourth String Quarterback Array title="xX-TSK-Xx "> xX-TSK-Xx's Avatar

Gil Brandt Suggests Replacing Colon with...

Maurkice Pouncey

Brandt: Colon’s fill-in already on Steelers’ roster

As soon as news broke that Steelers OT Willie Colon will miss the 2010 season because of a ruptured Achilles’ tendon, speculation on a possible replacement centered on perhaps the most accomplished tackle still on the street: Flozell Adams.

But while Adams reportedly visited Pittsburgh on Tuesday, NFL.com senior analyst Gil Brandt suggested the team already might have a replacement in the fold.

“I don’t think the Steelers will take a chance on Flozell,” Brandt said Tuesday in a live chat on NFL.com. “Knowing how they’ve operated in the past, they’ll try to fill from within. One thing to look for: Although first-round pick Maurkice Pouncey was drafted as a center/guard, he does have the ability to move outside and play tackle. I imagine he will get that chance.”

Pouncey, the 18th overall pick in the draft out of Florida, is considered to be very athletic and active for an interior lineman. His versatility was expected to help him make an early contribution to the Steelers’ offensive line in 2010. Colon’s injury could make that early contribution more important than previously believed.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/06/29/bran...eelers-roster/

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Re: Gil Brandt Suggest Replacing Colon with...

Interesting but that is putting a lot on his plate, even if he seems to be one of the smartest, most mature rookies we've had in awhile.

Fourth String Quarterback Array title="xX-TSK-Xx "> xX-TSK-Xx's Avatar

I fear that it could slow his maturation process as an interior linemen.

Steel Nerd Array title="Steely McSmash is an unknown quantity at this point">

Gil has quite the imagination

Junior Member Array title="JoeCactus is an unknown quantity at this point"> JoeCactus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xX-TSK-Xx View Post
    I fear that it could slow his maturation process as an interior linemen.
    Maturation process as an OL..................it is simple.......learn the schemes takes four weeks ...............learn your partners......takes two weeks...........and do the assignment......takes from a day to forever.......

the most overrated position in football is OL and the easiset to replace

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

The problem with this is that he has a good chance of being a major upgrade over Essex right away at guard. However I doubt if he can play RT any better than Essex right now, so this isn't the ideal place to use him.

Not that I'm saying Essex is the answer. I think we should bring in outside help. I'm just pointing out that this is probably not the best use of Pouncy at this time.

Tiger Lion and Steel Array title="SteelCityMan786 will become famous soon enough"> SteelCityMan786's Avatar

Where the lands are a mix of Black and Gold with some Blue and White

I'd rather put Starx there considering he has done the job before. Heck this would be a GREAT time to see how Tony Hills has developed to if I were the Steelers. It would be good to see them get him some extra reps in the preseason. Pouncey is a little too soon for my liking. But hey, if he has shown that he is worth being named the starter, then why not I say?
    786 Ways to score touchdowns

Shenaniguy Array title="kmsteelerwr15 is on a distinguished road"> kmsteelerwr15's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCactus View Post
    Maturation process as an OL..................it is simple.......learn the schemes takes four weeks ...............learn your partners......takes two weeks...........and do the assignment......takes from a day to forever.......

the most overrated position in football is OL and the easiset to replace
    Wow really? You do know that it is a completely different animal for an interior lineman to move outside?

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

Re: Gil Brandt Suggests Replacing Colon with...

I understand we have to train and give Pouncey Reps into the RG position and eventually C, but I think throwing him in Colon's spot would be too much to handle. Remember he is only a rookie first rounder or not it's too much.
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

I'd rather bring in someone that has played one of the two tackle positions rather than move a C/G to tackle.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Senior Member Array title="solardave is an unknown quantity at this point">

I think we'll see all kinds of combinations in the preseason but Pouncey at tackle (right or left) won't happen. I really see us signing a free agent.

Gotta agree with the majority here....Pouncy will wither start at or get a majortiy of his reps at RG....As of now I think the RT position battle will be between Essex and Foster. Jonathon Scott will get a look at the position but I think Essex and Foster will be the frontrunners.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

I lol'd at the suggestion, sorry, but even though he has a reputation as an incredibly intelligent kid, i think trying to turn him into a tackle for one season will severely hamper his progress elsewhere he is needed.

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

bad idea... they will find someone to play RT, but it better not be Pouncey

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Actually, I think I'm going to change my mind. Pouncey has already played the most difficult position on the line. Right tackle would look like a piece of cake assignment-wise.

And he is being taught to play a position, guard, that he hasn't played at since his freshman year in college.

We've all talked about how smart and mature he is. How he said he wasn't phased by OTAs when most rookies feel overwhelmed.

A lot of lineman are thrown around at different positions. Essex got time in practices at center a few years back. Kendall Simmons got reps there. And that's making the tougher transition from guard/tackle to center.

That versatility would be another bonus. You guys know how much Tomlin loves versatility along the line.

I don't know if he can play there, but it wouldn't hurt to find out or to give him some reps in case of an emergency during the season. You think there are injuries now, God knows what'll happen when the season starts. If anyone knows anything about having a line that completely falls apart, it's our new offensive line coach Sean Kugler. Buffalo was like the plague last year.

And heck, he's probably more athletic than Essex or Foster. Going off of memory, he's around the same size as Colon so size shouldn't be an issue.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Brandt is a first class act as I listen to him all the time on Sirius, but he normally uses all of his brain cells before speaking. He knows way more than I will ever know, but I think he made this comment right after lunch just as he was getting tired.
    All Defense!

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

Pouncey was drafted to be the center of the future. Him playing directly next to Hartwig will help his development as an NFL center. He can see what Hartwig sees and learn the line calls better at RG than at RT. It's a position he has NEVER played. So I wouldn't agree with putting him there.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Latin Steel Array title="SMR has a spectacular aura about"> SMR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by solardave View Post
    I think we'll see all kinds of combinations in the preseason but Pouncey at tackle (right or left) won't happen. I really see us signing a free agent.
    Same here. The best bet would be to go to free agent. Adams? Not sure.
    WE are the NFL's All-Time Dynasty!

Senior Member Array title="MULLDOG24 is an unknown quantity at this point">

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    Gotta agree with the majority here....Pouncy will wither start at or get a majortiy of his reps at RG....As of now I think the RT position battle will be between Essex and Foster. Jonathon Scott will get a look at the position but I think Essex and Foster will be the frontrunners.
    This is my thoughts as well and the best case scenario. I actually like Jonathan Scott as well as Essex and Foster and it would be interesting to see if we have any future starters on our roster.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I think Gil is saying that Pouncey has the feet to play at RT, but like most, I think Pouncey takes Essex spot at RG and Essex will move out to play an OT spot.

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

Pouncey was a Center in college and he will start on RG this season and progress to center eventually, but RT...no. I think the Steelers will play it smart here and Essex or hopefully Foster.
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Pouncey was a Center in college and he will start on RG this season and progress to center eventually, but RT...no. I think the Steelers will play it smart here and Essex or hopefully Foster.
    I would personally like to see Pouncey play center in a couple of years, I really wish he would play that now and Kemoeatu would move to his natural position, right guard. Keep Starks at left tackle pick up Adams, I think that would be a great pick up if he isn't asking for too much.

Latin Steel Array title="SMR has a spectacular aura about"> SMR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    I would personally like to see Pouncey play center in a couple of years, I really wish he would play that now and Kemoeatu would move to his natural position, right guard. Keep Starks at left tackle pick up Adams, I think that would be a great pick up if he isn't asking for too much.
    I am liking your line of thinkin'
    WE are the NFL's All-Time Dynasty!