Thread: ‘Mean’ Joe Greene remembers legend Al Davis

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

‘Mean’ Joe Greene remembers legend Al Davis

An excellent piece and a fitting eulogy to Mr. Davis. I thought about merging it with the existing thread, but it really deserves a thread of its own.

By Joe Greene, Special to Yahoo! Sports

As I and the rest of my Pittsburgh Steelers teammates prepared that week in late December 1974, we knew one thing: The road to the Super Bowl in the AFC went through Oakland.

To achieve your dreams as a team, you had to slay the Oakland Raiders. They were the barometer of what it took to be a championship team. They were the embodiment of Al Davis’ hard-driving style, nurtured by his devotion to them and their reciprocation. They were together in the very essential meaning of the word “team,” joined in purpose the way you design an organization.

To beat them, you had to be that same kind of force as a group.

That is what I admire most about Mr. Davis and his leadership of the Raiders. He may have passed away Saturday, but his imprint on the NFL is forever. As much as the Steelers and the Raiders spent the better part of a decade battling for supremacy in one of the fiercest rivalries in the history of the game, I have a place of admiration and appreciation in my soul for Mr. Davis. You may not have liked him, you may not have agreed with him, but you damn sure needed him.

Read more: ‘Mean’ Joe Greene remembers legend Al Davis

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Re: ‘Mean’ Joe Greene remembers legend Al Davis

Excellent article, thanks for posting.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Great read. Thanks for posting it.

Maybe we can rekindle the rivalry some day... I sure miss it.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

That was a real rivalry. Nobody could match the Steelers toe for toe except the Raiders. And when I say Raiders, I mean the "Ray derz" as Howard Cosell used to say it. I hated them so much growing up because they were that good.

Senior Member Array title="Austin87 is an unknown quantity at this point"> Austin87's Avatar

Great article.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Great article, I'm sure the Raiders will be out for blood today.