Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Al Davis

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

RIP Al Davis

Re: RIP Al Davis

In these memorable 48 years, the Raiders have had 28 winning seasons(3 super bowl champions), including 16 in a row from 1965 through the 1980 World Championship season. In 34 of those seasons, the Raiders earned a record of .500 or better.

Davis' health was clearly declining in recent years though he remained active in the organization's day-to-day activities, often to much criticism.

The NFL just lost one of the all-time greats.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

wow. that's a whole lot of history gone right there. he sure had one hell of a run that's for sure!
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

As much as Steelers fans hated the Raiders and Al Davis, there is no question that Al is a legend and a pioneer in the NFL. This is no different than losing The Chief.

RIP, Al Davis. The NFL will never be the same without you.

The question now is who takes over? Maybe silver & black can comment.

Black and Gold Lantern Array title="The Duke is just really nice"> The Duke's Avatar

damn, RIP Al, you were definitely one of the best
    "We're a team. There's no offense. There's no defense. There's no special teams. We're one. We're a band of brothers." – Ben Roethlisberger

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

I have no love for Al but he was an NFL icon. RIP Al.

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

RIP. No doubt the man is an NFL legend.

Senior Member Array title="crcsnail has a spectacular aura about"> crcsnail's Avatar

rip al . one of the first peeps i saw when the uk started broadcasting the nfl. definatly one hell of a charactor.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

RIP Al Davis

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

RIP Al Davis the NFL lost a Icon for sure

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

sleezy pickle doodle Array title="touchdownward is a glorious beacon of light"> touchdownward's Avatar

Al Davis was hated by many but it is always a very sad occasion when someone passes.
    RIP AD
    BLAH!!!Forever loving and missing you Gal.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

I wonder if it was a silver bullet or wooden stake that got him.
    All Defense!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

RIP Al.

I wonder who's been running the Raiders lately.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

RIP, Mr. Davis. The NFL just lost another "old schooler."

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

Damn. RIP Al Davis, a legend and NFL pioneer. The league wouldn't be the same without him.

Some Raider fans are mourning and some are in a state of happiness over the news.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Wow... I don't know what to say right now. I've spent 43 years as a Raiders fan with Al Davis at the helm. This is going to be a new experience, for sure.

We knew Al's health was failing, but we didn't know it was this bad. There were rumors that Al had turned the team over entirely to Hue Jackson, but of course, none of us really believed it.

As far as who will run the team, I'm not sure. I know the team is now owned by his wife. It was always known that Al wanted his son Marc to take over. Marc isn't a football guy, so I would guess there will be a GM hired to run the day to day football operations. Who that will be is not known. For now, I would guess Amy Trask and Hue Jackson will keep things rolling.

I now know how you older Steelers fans felt when you lost The Chief. Unfortunately, the Raiders aren't left in as competent of hands as the Steelers were/are. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how this all plays out.

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    Wow... I don't know what to say right now. I've spent 43 years as a Raiders fan with Al Davis at the helm. This is going to be a new experience, for sure.

We knew Al's health was failing, but we didn't know it was this bad. There were rumors that Al had turned the team over entirely to Hue Jackson, but of course, none of us really believed it.

As far as who will run the team, I'm not sure. I know the team is now owned by his wife. It was always known that Al wanted his son Marc to take over. Marc isn't a football guy, so I would guess there will be a GM hired to run the day to day football operations. Who that will be is not known. For now, I would guess Amy Trask and Hue Jackson will keep things rolling.

I now know how you older Steelers fans felt when you lost The Chief. Unfortunately, the Raiders aren't left in as competent of hands as the Steelers were/are. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how this all plays out.
    To be honest, this might be the best thing that could have happened to the Raiders.

Al Davis was owner, general manager, and sometimes head coach. He had his hands deep in the football side of things with the Raiders, all decisions went through him...and if you questioned him you were either fired or benched.

I am expecting Hugh Jackson and Amy Trask to run the day-to-day operation until the ownership thing is figured out. I don't think Al Davis' wife has any interest in being the owner long term. I have a feeling she will be handing it over to Marc Davis, who will run the business side of the Raiders and bring in someone to run the football operation....either a President and General Manager or just a General Manager.

One thing is for sure, the Raiders are going to go through a huge change. Even when Bruce Allen was in an executive role with the Raiders while Gruden was coach, he was more of a buffer between Gruden and Davis than anything. All decisions still went through Al Davis, and if Davis said no, it didn't happen.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Dan Rooney statement on Al Davis

Posted 51 minutes ago

"Al Davis was a good man and we were friendly rivals. He was a football man and did a lot for the game of football. I had a lot of respect for him and he will be missed throughout the entire NFL."

Steelers Chairman Emeritus Dan Rooney

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigNastyDefense View Post
    To be honest, this might be the best thing that could have happened to the Raiders.

Al Davis was owner, general manager, and sometimes head coach. He had his hands deep in the football side of things with the Raiders, all decisions went through him...and if you questioned him you were either fired or benched.

I am expecting Hugh Jackson and Amy Trask to run the day-to-day operation until the ownership thing is figured out. I don't think Al Davis' wife has any interest in being the owner long term. I have a feeling she will be handing it over to Marc Davis, who will run the business side of the Raiders and bring in someone to run the football operation....either a President and General Manager or just a General Manager.

One thing is for sure, the Raiders are going to go through a huge change. Even when Bruce Allen was in an executive role with the Raiders while Gruden was coach, he was more of a buffer between Gruden and Davis than anything. All decisions still went through Al Davis, and if Davis said no, it didn't happen.
    Yeah, this is all well known throughout Raider Nation.

Bruce Allen is the reason Gruden had any success at all. The Raiders' most successful era was when Ron Wolf was there. Wolf is the only guy Al ever truly trusted. The franchise only had limited success after he left. Wolf was guy that did all the drafting. Obviously his departure hurt the Raiders big time in that department. It will be interesting to see what happens now that the Raiders will probably become a more "mainstream" team in how they approach things...... but I hope a little of the Al Davis attitude lives on.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

RIP Al. Will be interesting to see the changes in Oakland. Will they move to LA again?

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

A legend no doubt. I have poked a lot of fun of him the few years, but in his hey day (which I think was in the 1700's - just kidding Al, RIP), he was a driving force, first in the AFL and then in the NFL.

As for the Raiders, the best thing might be for the family to sell them. While I doubt this will happen, the bidders would be a plenty and the price tag would be huge.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

I may have made fun of Al Davis for his crazy way he handled the Raiders, especially recently. But the Raiders wouldn't be the Raiders without him to begin with. Despite his crazy transgressions, but he is the face of the Raiders and an NFL legend and icon. RIP Al the Crazy Cryptkeeper.

Some Raider fans will be sad, but at the same time some will be relieved. The Raiders are finally free of Al's iron grip.

Just win Baby

Senior Member Array title="steelerdiva will become famous soon enough"> steelerdiva's Avatar

Well, Al wasn't one of my favorite people to be sure. That said, though, his influence on the NFL cannot be denied.

Condolences to his family, friends, the team, and Raider Nation.
    Hometown Gal.....R.I.P My Black and Gold Sister...See ya in the morning.

The broad formerly known as memphissteelergirl

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

RIP Al Davis he was one of a kind and, the NFL has lost a great one. Who will ever forget some of his sayings just win baby, throw the deep ball. He had some great teams back in the day. It was interesting on the nfl network this morning they had Jerry Jones on and, he was really upset on the passing of Al Davis sounds like they were close friends.

Administrator Array title="HometownGal has a reputation beyond repute"> HometownGal's Avatar

Al wasn't one of my favorite NFL owners, but the NFL has lost an icon. Thoughts and prayers out to the Davis family, the Raiders team and Raider Nation. Al.

CANCER - YOU PICKED THE WRONG BITCH!!!

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Loved or Hated Al was the one owner who was a real Thorn in the NFL's side...I for one will miss that!!!

Sorry for the loss Raider Nation, I hope it all turns out alright in the end. May Al rest in peace, his antics will be missed. There will never be another like him.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Unexpected? Have you seen a picture of him in the last year.? I'd say more like overdue. I don't mean that to be cruel, but Al's been looking really bad for awhile now.

He had a good run, anyone who makes 80 can't claim they were cheated in this life.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    I wonder if it was a silver bullet or wooden stake that got him.
    Too soon! Nah, just kidding it's not like we knew him or his family's going to be reading this thread. Al was pretty creepy looking allright.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."