Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP Al Davis

Official Troll Array title="The Patriot is a name known to all"> The Patriot's Avatar

Re: RIP Al Davis

He was a colorful character that will be missed.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

He and the Steelers weren't exactly friends, but it's worth saying, as you guys have mentioned, that he was a big part of the NFL in the 70s. He just never adapted or changed his ways.

If memory serves, I think Ralph Wilson is the only other person alive who was an owner at the time of the merger (I know Dan Sr was there but the Chiefs was still the guy).

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Rest in peace Al.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Unexpected? I guess so...he looked terminal for years imo.

RIP.

"With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="7willBheaven is on a distinguished road"> 7willBheaven's Avatar

While it sucks to loose someone who meant a lot to the NFL and its history...as most have said...it could be a could thing for the organization...to finally start making smarter/better decisions/etc...and maybe bring the Raiders back to glory or close to it. They were already slightly heading in the right direction before...so hopefully for them that train will increase its speed so to speak. But of course i dont want them to become too good and beat out the Steelers/etc...just sayin, hahah.

Engorged Member Array title="tihmtahm will become famous soon enough"> tihmtahm's Avatar

As a Steeler fan I loved to hate him. That being said, I have nothing but respect for him because he always stood for what he believed and he never wavered from his vision. He, like the Rooneys, has always been one of the iconic faces of the NFL. This is a sad day for football. RIP Mr. Davis
    No matter where you go, there you are.

The Virginia Hillbilly Array title="Galax Steeler is a splendid one to behold"> Galax Steeler's Avatar

R.I.P

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

Quote Originally Posted by BigNastyDefense View Post
    To be honest, this might be the best thing that could have happened to the Raiders.

Al Davis was owner, general manager, and sometimes head coach. He had his hands deep in the football side of things with the Raiders, all decisions went through him...and if you questioned him you were either fired or benched.
    Agree.

I feel sorry for Al. He didn't have a close enough personal relationship with anyone, so there was nobody who could tell him it was time to step aside and let someone else run the show. Which caused him to go out on a nearly decade-long losing streak. The older fans will remember the winners of the '70s and '80s, and the good teams from about 10 years ago.

Member Array title="SteelerFan091472 will become famous soon enough">

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    If memory serves, I think Ralph Wilson is the only other person alive who was an owner at the time of the merger (I know Dan Sr was there but the Chiefs was still the guy).
    I think Bud Adams was also an owner at the time of the merger.

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFan091472 View Post
    I think Bud Adams was also an owner at the time of the merger.
    Yep, he owned the Titans which were then known as the Houston Oilers.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Good call.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

I had my fair share of criticism for Al over the years, and I'm not going to take any of it back, but I will say this: He was crazy, but he wasn't stupid. There IS a difference.

R.I.P.
    Fire Goodell

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

"A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post

Not so much for me.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Maybe he meant that it was unexpected that he would live this long?
    Fire Goodell

‘Mean’ Joe Greene remembers legend Al Davis

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...l_davis_100811

As I and the rest of my Pittsburgh Steelers teammates prepared that week in late December 1974, we knew one thing: The road to the Super Bowl in the AFC went through Oakland.

To achieve your dreams as a team, you had to slay the Oakland Raiders. They were the barometer of what it took to be a championship team. They were the embodiment of Al Davis’ hard-driving style, nurtured by his devotion to them and their reciprocation. They were together in the very essential meaning of the word “team,” joined in purpose the way you design an organization.

To beat them, you had to be that same kind of force as a group.

That is what I admire most about Mr. Davis and his leadership of the Raiders. He may have passed away Saturday, but his imprint on the NFL is forever. As much as the Steelers and the Raiders spent the better part of a decade battling for supremacy in one of the fiercest rivalries in the history of the game, I have a place of admiration and appreciation in my soul for Mr. Davis. You may not have liked him, you may not have agreed with him, but you damn sure needed him.

With Mr. Davis, you knew the most important thing was the game. Yes, he had his team and he wanted to win. Ultimately, however, he was doing what was in the best interests of the game, of the NFL. Sometimes you need that contrarian, that person who pushes you because he’s not afraid to say what he thinks.

Lengthy article, worth reading. Gives you some perspective of an insiders view of the greatest rivalry in sports through the 70's.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Great read. Thanks for posting it.

What he said in that article, is the reason I follow the Steelers, and come to this forum. Just like you guys are definitely not Raiders fans, I'm definitely not a Steelers fan... but, I remember those days.... I was fortunate enough to see those days unfold.... and experience those games between our teams. Those of us fortunate enough to have lived it, will never see anything like it again in the modern NFL.

I have many friends that are die hard Steelers fans. They all lived that era along with me. None of them ever make fun of me for being a Raiders fan, or the Raiders for their decade of losing.

I guess I march to the beat of a different drummer, but I can never be anything other than a Raiders fan.... and I'm proud to be one.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

1 of my friends through high school was a Raiders fan. There was a mutual respect and uncertainty with each game played. It would be nice to see the Raiders rise up once again.

Renegade. Array title="bayz101 has a reputation beyond repute"> bayz101's Avatar

The Raiders have always been my wild-card team. If something goes wrong with Pittsburgh, i'm pulling for the Raiders. But, not to worry, we're always the team NO ONE want's to meet in the playoff's

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    Great read. Thanks for posting it.

What he said in that article, is the reason I follow the Steelers, and come to this forum. Just like you guys are definitely not Raiders fans, I'm definitely not a Steelers fan... but, I remember those days.... I was fortunate enough to see those days unfold.... and experience those games between our teams. Those of us fortunate enough to have lived it, will never see anything like it again in the modern NFL.

I have many friends that are die hard Steelers fans. They all lived that era along with me. None of them ever make fun of me for being a Raiders fan, or the Raiders for their decade of losing.

I guess I march to the beat of a different drummer, but I can never be anything other than a Raiders fan.... and I'm proud to be one.
    I posted that link with you in mind S&B. Glad you liked it.

People forget the Steelers and Raiders faced off in the playoffs 5 consecutive years, (72-76) including three straight in the AFC title game!(74-76) I doubt we'll ever see that happen again.