Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: head coach and coaches doing a really bad job

Member Array title="steeler for life is an unknown quantity at this point">

head coach and coaches doing a really bad job

Watching today game at the texans ,we have already missed a field goal that should have sensed the game to the half 10-3 texans then the Steelers scored 10 points to tie the game,the very next texans drive comes down to a third down and 6 and they completed a pass to their tightend that after the tv replay seems that the ball touched the ground but tooling didn't challenge and the texans ended scoring the winning touchdown after that . How can you win a game when you don't have that awareness . Never called a screen play on a aggressive defensive line ,never played no huddle that's on offense on the defensive side better not speak about that.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Re: head coach and coaches doing a really bad job

Tooling?

If TOMLIN challenges that play and loses, he's out of time outs and challenges. It wasn't a clear-cut call.

As for the offense, they haven't been able to run a screen in years. And it looks like all the talk about the no-huddle was just that - talk. Either that, or they don't have enough confidence in the OL to run it.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

The O line looked adequate in the preseason when we were facing vanilla defenses. Now that real games have started, we are obviously woefully mismatched on the O Line.

I would package Sanders and Woodley and shop them for some O Line help.

I'm sorry , tomlin don't you agree if the coaches on defense have instructed one of the players to stay on the ground and have an injury timeout ,just to give the staff more time to look at the play and go for the almost sure challenge the texans didn't make anything after that drive.

Senior Member Array title="BlastFurnace will become famous soon enough"> BlastFurnace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    The O line looked adequate in the preseason when we were facing vanilla defenses. Now that real games have started, we are obviously woefully mismatched on the O Line.

I would package Sanders and Woodley and shop them for some O Line help.
    There is no money to do anything. They are already in salary cap trouble for next year. They are going to have to go with what they have.

Next year, hopefully....Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton, James Farrior, and Larry Foote all come off the books. I wouldn't be surprised if Hines decided to hang them up after this year too.

This team must get younger and build from the inside out....O'line and D'line. Don't bandaide next year. Make some tough decisions and get some "quality" young guys in.

If they approach next offseason like they did this offseason, this team is headed for a major drought.

Senior Member Array title="XxKnightxX has a spectacular aura about"> XxKnightxX's Avatar

Owen Daniels caught the ball. They would of lost the challenge and ran out of time outs.

Ball touched the ground and the cbs broadcaster agreed it was worthy of a challenge
    Y

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

This team practiced three step drops and quick passes ALL training camp. Like ridiculous amounts and looked extremely good doing it. They looked quick, sharp and efficient. Ben had one of his best camps ever. Yet when the season starts, that offense is nowhere to be found and here's a newsflash...with that O-Line this is the time to use it. This team is built for that with the receivers they have. That falls on the coaching staff...they aren't adapting to the situation and the cards they are being dealt on either side of the ball...and it obviously shows.

On defense, Chris Johnson and the 3-1 Titans are coming to town this week and there is a great chance that the Steelers get gashed for another 150+ on the ground. The D-Line is just as bad as the O-Line...if not worse. It's not a pretty site right now...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="7willBheaven is on a distinguished road"> 7willBheaven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steeler for life View Post
    Watching today game at the texans ,we have already missed a field goal that should have sensed the game to the half 10-3 texans then the Steelers scored 10 points to tie the game,the very next texans drive comes down to a third down and 6 and they completed a pass to their tightend that after the tv replay seems that the ball touched the ground but tooling didn't challenge and the texans ended scoring the winning touchdown after that . How can you win a game when you don't have that awareness . Never called a screen play on a aggressive defensive line ,never played no huddle that's on offense on the defensive side better not speak about that.
    As many have said if they challenge that play then the team is out of time outs and have less of a chance to win the game than they already did. As the announcers said the ball can touch the ground as long as the ball is being CONTROLLED...they didnt say anything about it wasnt a catch and should be challenged...which it was...it was a completion, easy to see on TV..no need to challenge.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

What's the debate...it was a catch...lol. Why bother with the challenge?

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Best non challenge of Tomlins career. Clearly a catch. Move on.

Well let's hope the jets can beat the ravens and keep pace on the division

Could be a 7-9 team winning the AFC North...lol.

Senior Member Array title="SteelerEmpire has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerEmpire's Avatar

Green Bay was in the SB and is whoopin azzzzzz this year. But the Steelers ? These guys (except a few you can count on one hand) just don't have any "heart"... and that includes the coaches in that assessment. Never thought I'd say that about the Steelers...

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerEmpire View Post
    Green Bay was in the SB and is whoopin azzzzzz this year. But the Steelers ? These guys (except a few you can count on one hand) just don't have any "heart"... and that includes the coaches in that assessment. Never thought I'd say that about the Steelers...
    I think it's more to do with old legs than lack of heart, at least in the defenses case. For the o-line it's more about a lack of God given ability.

But I think they're all trying.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="BlastFurnace will become famous soon enough"> BlastFurnace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    I think it's more to do with old legs than lack of heart, at least in the defenses case. For the o-line it's more about a lack of God given ability.

I agree with you. No way they aren't trying. It's just time for some changes. Father Time catches up with all of us.

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

farrior is done. i thought he was done 2 years ago but he proved otherwise. this time it really is the end and he truly lost a step. I'd like to see stevenson sylvester get a chance at starting. anyone else think he'd be good? he was pretty good in preseason but of course that is mostly 2nd and 3rd stringers. i don't know why we waste our time with foote when sylvester could be getting a chance. stubborn ass coaches is what i think

Quote Originally Posted by JayC View Post
    farrior is done. i thought he was done 2 years ago but he proved otherwise. this time it really is the end and he truly lost a step. I'd like to see stevenson sylvester get a chance at starting. anyone else think he'd be good? he was pretty good in preseason but of course that is mostly 2nd and 3rd stringers. i don't know why we waste our time with foote when sylvester could be getting a chance. stubborn ass coaches is what i think
    Sylvester impresses on ST. I'd give him a shot on D.

Agree.

Old and Slow...lol.

I agree with giving sylvester a chance he looked aggressive when he had his chances ,but a little careless with roughness penalties

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerEmpire View Post
    Green Bay was in the SB and is whoopin azzzzzz this year.

These guys (except a few you can count on one hand) just don't have any "heart"... and that includes the coaches in that assessment.

Never thought I'd say that about the Steelers...
    You are right. There is no collective heart or will to win. Everyone is playing flat.

Age can not make that dramatic a difference from one year to the next.

Something is wrong and it starts at the top.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

The coaching is absolutely horrible. Arians makes Matt Millen look smart, Dick LeBeeau is the Al Davis of NFL coordinators, and Tomlin is too timid to correct these two mistakes and blunders

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayC View Post
    I agree, Farrior was a liability today in the pass and run. Sadly, I dont think Sylvester is the answer and a decent ILB hasnt been drafted since Timmons in 2007.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    The coaching is absolutely horrible. Arians makes Matt Millen look smart, Dick LeBeeau is the Al Davis of NFL coordinators, and Tomlin is too timid to correct these two mistakes and blunders
    What exactly does that mean? Lebeau is a senile old man?

So coach Lebeau forgot to tell Casey Hampton not to get blown off the line of scrimmage by the center. In a moment of confusion he told Woodly and Troy to lose contain on Arian Foster?

Oh that crazy old man. What will he do next?

Administrator Array title="HometownGal has a reputation beyond repute"> HometownGal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post

Agreed Zu.

I'm not throwing any of the coaches under the bus this early in the season. The coaches aren't out there getting run over on the line and not making plays. The OL is clearly our Achilles heel this season and hopefully they will find a way to fix it before it's too late.

CANCER - YOU PICKED THE WRONG BITCH!!!

You can fault Arians for a good part of the offense. He's got to adjust to the poor play of the O-Line...and he's not.

Senior Member Array title="XxKnightxX has a spectacular aura about"> XxKnightxX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    You can fault Arians for a good part of the offense. He's got to adjust to the poor play of the O-Line...and he's not.
    Yes and no, when you got all the Defenses playing the quick underneath stuff , its hard not to get an incompletion or turnover, so theres not much Arians can do if a line cant block for more than 2 seconds. You gotta be able to call the plays and hope for the best. Its sad , how every time the Steelers go on Offense, I hold my breath for dear life.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I agree, Farrior was a liability today in the pass and run. Sadly, I dont think Sylvester is the answer and a decent ILB hasnt been drafted since Timmons in 2007.
    I don't know why Sylvester isn't getting to play more. He's done well when given the chance.

We had a chance to draft Sean Lee last year but took Worilds instead. I didn't like it then and I like it even less now. Lee is playing very well for the Cowboys.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Concerning the catch that may not have been a catch. Last year, that wasn't a catch...but they changed the rule this year so that even if the ball touches the ground under control it's a catch. It was close.

Here's my big problem with it. The first timeout they sort of wasted I let go. BUT the second TO called way early in the 2nd half was unacceptable. I lay that at the coaches feet. I knew the second they called it that it would come back to haunt us one way or the other. As it was, even though the play was close, and it very well might have gone against us because the call on the field usually stands, the OPTION to even consider challenging it was removed. How huge was it? Instead of punting, they scored a long TD, ultimately the game winner. We had swung the momentum 100% back our way, and that really took the wind out of our sails.
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    Concerning the catch that may not have been a catch. Last year, that wasn't a catch...but they changed the rule this year so that even if the ball touches the ground under control it's a catch. It was close.

Here's my big problem with it. The first timeout they sort of wasted I let go. BUT the second TO called way early in the 2nd half was unacceptable. I lay that at the coaches feet. I knew the second they called it that it would come back to haunt us one way or the other. As it was, even though the play was close, and it very well might have gone against us because the call on the field usually stands, the OPTION to even consider challenging it was removed. How huge was it? Instead of punting, they scored a long TD, ultimately the game winner. We had swung the momentum 100% back our way, and that really took the wind out of our sails.
    Great point about the second timeout. I don't know if it falls on Ben, Tomlin, or Arians, and really don't care, outside of learning from it and correcting it. Second half time outs are like gold, you have to be more judicious with them period.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."