Thread: Believe it or not, we miss Spaeth.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Believe it or not, we miss Spaeth.

In re-watching this last game ( thanks NFL rewind ) one of the things I've noticed is that David Johnson (85) and Weslye Sanders are really killing us on some running plays. Not only do they get beat clean on many of their attempted blocks, they also completely blow assignments and run right by the guy they're presumably supposed to block, leaving them untouched to have a clean tackle on the ball carrier.

I was never the biggest fan of Spaeth, but I noticed last year that his blocking had really come a long way,to the point that I think he was a well above average blocking tight end, though his hands never were that great.

Anyway Matt certainly had some struggles as a blocker early in his career, so maybe one or both of these guys will start to get it in time. But as of now I'd have to label David Johnson in particular as one of the main culprit's in the current inept state of our running game.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="Steeltreal will become famous soon enough"> Steeltreal's Avatar

Re: Believe it or not, we miss Spaeth.

The singleback sets was the main failure along with putting Johnson in the slot to try and block a CB. Saunders was put out there to be part of the passing game from what I saw. But I',m pretty sure Spaeths mama doesn't even miss him.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeltreal View Post
    The singleback sets was the main failure along with putting Johnson in the slot to try and block a CB. Saunders was put out there to be part of the passing game from what I saw. But I',m pretty sure Spaeths mama doesn't even miss him.

Senior Member Array title="Austin87 is an unknown quantity at this point"> Austin87's Avatar

I agree with you Zu. In Spaeth's last season he really improved as a blocker and I was kinda shocked that they didn't resign him. Johnson seems to be a waste of roster space.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

From what I saw, a lot of Johnson's whiffs came as the lead blocker or blocking in space. Spaeth was a decent blocker because he was so big, but really more of an in-line guy and likely would've struggled with the Colts' speed as much as Johnson did.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

And Johnson had a key block on the TD to Wallace. Went one on one with Anderson.

Black and Gold Lantern Array title="The Duke is just really nice"> The Duke's Avatar

I've never been too fond of Johnson as a fullback, but I think he's pretty good when he's in-line as a tight end. Even though he's pretty undersized he makes the most of it

Spaeth wasn't doing the bears any favors in the game I watched last week. Though if there's one offensive line that's truly worse than our's is what they have in Chicago
    "We're a team. There's no offense. There's no defense. There's no special teams. We're one. We're a band of brothers." – Ben Roethlisberger

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

I'm not even through the Steelers first possession of yesterdays's game and in a 3 play sequence I saw two complete misses of assignments by Johnson that critically impacted the play.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

I don't know what's happened to Johnson. He's been a good blocker in the past. That's the reason he's on the team. I'd give him up in a heartbeat though for a true FB.

What a complete and total joke that penalty on Pouncey was. That ref deserves to be fined for that call.

The two minute drill the Steelers ran at the end of the first half, the pass blocking was exceptional every single play! Maybe we need to do more of that hurry up thang?

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure that it was David Johnson who missed the block that led to the end of half blocked field goal. If this is true, time to cut bait and make an example of this crap piece of shit player!

Johnson most certainly caused the fg to be blocked. this guy is an idiot, he misses multiple assignments every game, both from a mental and physical standpoint. Put in Saunders, he can't do any worse.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    What a complete and total joke that penalty on Pouncey was. That ref deserves to be fined for that call.
    How did you see it? Could you see it in the play itself? I kept waiting for a replay but they never showed it. The announcers completely glossed it over.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    How did you see it? Could you see it in the play itself? I kept waiting for a replay but they never showed it. The announcers completely glossed it over.
    I watched it about 8 times, he was blocking to the whistle, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    I watched it about 8 times, he was blocking to the whistle, nothing more.
    I had a suspicion that might have been the case. That's why they wouldn't show a replay of it.

Black and Gold Lantern Array title="The Duke is just really nice"> The Duke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    I don't know what's happened to Johnson. He's been a good blocker in the past. That's the reason he's on the team. I'd give him up in a heartbeat though for a true FB.
    maybe he got too comfortable??

In 09 he had to fight hard to make the team, last year too. This season Spaeth was gone, he had the #2 spot all for himself and only a new veteran and some rookies to "beat"

I did notice early in the preseason he wasn't blocking with his trademark fire, what made him so good as the #3 the past two years. Perhaps someone does need to light a fire under his ass. I wouldn't cut him cause Saunders' blocking is a huge work in progress still. But something needs to be done

Heath had a bad game last week, but he didn't let that happen to him two games in a row. Johnson has most of the season so far
    "We're a team. There's no offense. There's no defense. There's no special teams. We're one. We're a band of brothers." – Ben Roethlisberger

That's possible. Seems like most of the team needs to get a fire lit under their ass.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I dont miss Spaeth at all. Saunders has much more upside and Johnson was actually blocking really well on that drive with 5 min left in the 3rd quarter and beyond.

I miss that we could have had Jay Alford, Marshal Yanda, Jerman Bushrod or Michael Bush instead of him.