PDA

View Full Version : Worst feeling 2-1 ever.

zulater
09-25-2011, 11:05 PM
I don't think I ever felt so hopeless over a Steeler team after a 2-1 start before. We have a relatively weak schedule this year, but even with that I can't see this team beating anything close to a legitimate team.

Oh well at least it's better than being 1-2.

polamalubeast
09-25-2011, 11:07 PM
2008 was worse after the performences against the Eagles the week 3.

JayC
09-25-2011, 11:08 PM
yeah, anyone who watched any of our games this year would see we aren't very good (even the seachicken game). not much to be happy about other than the winning record. but i'll take it and hope something begins to click with our team. the texans game should be a good test to see if we are better than i think or just pretenders

zulater
09-25-2011, 11:08 PM
2008 was worse after the performences against the Eagles the week 3.

I don't know, this is two out of three games that we totally sucked in.

fansince'76
09-25-2011, 11:09 PM
I'm not feeling really good about it either, to be honest. We'll see how the rest of the season plays out, I guess.

Godfather
09-25-2011, 11:10 PM
Peyton would have lit us up. This was an ugly win.

It's too bad because the defense is very good, but the offense is putting us behind the 8 ball. Ben is a turnover machine so far.

SteelerFanInStl
09-25-2011, 11:16 PM

It's too bad because the defense is very good, but the offense is putting us behind the 8 ball. Ben is a turnover machine so far.

The defense is certainly not without problems. Our great run D has been non-existent and we all know how bad our CBs are after Ike. We're also not forcing any turnovers or getting much pressure on the QB. I don't know what it is but it sure seems to me that we're playing more passive this year.

The turnovers are killing us but I'd hardly blame them all on Ben. The OL is brutal and the pick tonight looked like Sanders might have run the wrong pattern again. Ben is actually one of our few bright spots on the offense with the complete lack of a running game so far.

Unless if the OL improves dramatically, this team's going nowhere.

steelerdiva
09-25-2011, 11:17 PM
So the good news is:

The season is still very young and we're still in the division race

The bad news:

Our O-line reeks
Our running game is non-existent (largely because our O-line reeks)
Three games in and Ben-outside of a few nice strikes tonight-has not really found his rhythm.

Oh, and did I mention our O-line reeks?

steel9guy
09-25-2011, 11:18 PM
I'm glad we have Ben this year. If Batch or Dixon was starting like last year we would be 0-3.

BlastFurnace
09-25-2011, 11:19 PM
I don't see it this year for the Steelers. Honestly, this doesn't look like a playoff team to me.

steel9guy
09-25-2011, 11:22 PM
Hey on the bright side, we are 2-1. The Patriots are 2-1, baltimore is 2-1, Jets 2-1, Bills 3-0, Chargers 2-1. It seems dark now but we could be 1-2. I'll take the 2-1.

Shoes
09-25-2011, 11:23 PM
Ben is not going to make it through the season under these conditions....this club has a strange way of protecting it's investment.

Edman
09-25-2011, 11:24 PM
The worst 2-1 team in the league, and I'm really serious about that.

I'm preparing myself for a mediocre season. Next up are the Texans and Titans. Two teams very capable of smashing the Steelers. They both have solid QBs and hungry defenses. Brace yourselves, folks. This season is not going to be pretty.

zulater
09-25-2011, 11:26 PM

Name a qb in the league that wouldn't be behind our offensive line.

SteelerFanInStl
09-25-2011, 11:28 PM
Name a qb in the league that wouldn't be behind our offensive line.

Yep. Even Brady would be having major problems behind our OL.

fansince'76
09-25-2011, 11:28 PM
Yep. Even Brady would be having major problems behind our OL.

Brady would be on frigging IR behind this OL.

BlastFurnace
09-25-2011, 11:31 PM

Agreed, but I think it's probably reasonable to think that if Brady was the Steelers QB, that he would demand that the Steelers quit treating the O'line as an afterthought.

For some reason, this franchise doesn't understand how important it is to have a quality O'line any longer. That seemed to go away after Cowher resigned.

zulater
09-25-2011, 11:31 PM

He'd have retired already if he had to stand behind the shit Ben's been put behind since 2007.

fansince'76
09-25-2011, 11:32 PM
For some reason, this franchise doesn't understand how important it is to have a quality O'line any longer. That seemed to go away after Cowher resigned.

The cracks were showing even before Cowher checked out. Ben was sacked 46 times in '06.

X-Terminator
09-25-2011, 11:34 PM
At this point, I'm expecting them to get killed next week. No OL and no running game whatsoever means that the Texans' D will be able to totally disrupt the offense. And I can't see the defense being able to stop Matt Schaub, Andre Johnson and Arian Foster. This team just doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence right now.

steelerdiva
09-25-2011, 11:36 PM
The cracks were showing even before Cowher checked out. Ben was sacked 46 times in '06.

Beat me to it, FS

zulater
At this point, I'm expecting them to get killed next week. No OL and no running game whatsoever means that the Texans' D will be able to totally disrupt the offense. And I can't see the defense being able to stop Matt Schaub, Andre Johnson and Arian Foster. This team just doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence right now.

You could give me the Steelers and 15 points and I wouldn't touch it. The Texans will run them out of the building if they duplicate this "effort".

BlastFurnace

Perhaps so. I just don't remember so many jailbreaks for the opposing team's rush as often.

zulater
09-25-2011, 11:38 PM
Perhaps so. I just don't remember so many jailbreaks for the opposing team's rush as often.

At least we could run block a little back then anyway.

Mach1
09-25-2011, 11:39 PM
Just put some big orange cones in front of Ben at least somebody on the D might trip on one.

fansince'76
09-25-2011, 11:40 PM
At least we could run block a little back then anyway.

True. This OL can't do either worth a damn.

BigNastyDefense
Agreed, but I think it's probably reasonable to think that if Brady was the Steelers QB, that he would demand that the Steelers quit treating the O'line as an afterthought.

The offensive line was starting to go south while Cowher was still here.

Remember, it wasn't Cowher's job and it isn't Tomlin's job to draft and sign free agents. That's on Kevin Colbert, who will listen to suggestions from the coach but Colbert (for the most part) has the last say. Even when it comes to TC cuts, Tomlin gets to make most of the decisions, but in the end Colbert has final say.

Shoes
Let's see, Ben goes down, Chuck and DD go out in the same quarter and Ward (as QB) gets the team to the playoff's and wins SB without an O-line ......what a great way to finish a career :chuckle:

fansince'76
09-25-2011, 11:41 PM
Let's see, Ben goes down, Chuck and DD go out in the same quarter and Ward gets the team to the playoff's and wins SB as QB ......what a great way to finish a career :chuckle:

With the SB-winning TD pass to SWEEEEEEEEEED! :chuckle:

zulater
09-25-2011, 11:43 PM

Can Sweed put on about 80 pounds and learn to block in the next 6 days?

Shoes
09-25-2011, 11:47 PM

:toofunny: :toofunny:

fansince'76
09-25-2011, 11:48 PM
Can Sweed put on about 80 pounds and learn to block in the next 6 days?

Sweed can do anything!

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/garyb12001/9amopc.jpg

:chuckle:

SteelerFanInStl
09-25-2011, 11:50 PM
Sweed can do anything!

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/garyb12001/9amopc.jpg

Except catch the ball. :lol:

steelpinstripe87
09-25-2011, 11:50 PM
So the good news is:

The season is still very young and we're still in the division race

This is what I'm trying to focus on. But the O-line is just...it's swiss cheese, that's what it is. I hope they give Flozell Adams a call. It certainly wouldn't hurt.

st33lersguy
09-26-2011, 12:02 AM
This defense is horrible. Seattle best hope they get Andrew Luck because Travaris Jackson has to be incredibly incompetent if he couldn't score a point against this defense. Curtis flippin' Painter directed a TD drive against the Steelers in LESS THAN A QUARTER OF ACTION! This pass defense overall has played poorly and has not even played a solid QB yet? Peyton Manning would have blown out that Steeler team that played. The run defense has played just as poorly except against the Seasucks which does not count anyway

shutdown
09-26-2011, 12:05 AM
Defense is horrible?

The defense won the game tonight....

fansince'76
09-26-2011, 12:07 AM
Defense is horrible?

Yep. Considering how many times the defense was put in absolutely shit situations by turnovers, I thought they played fairly well, all in all.

NCSteeler
09-26-2011, 12:26 AM
the O-line is complete scrap, but it seems that everyone is glossing over just how bad the D has been, except of course Warren dumbshit Sapp..

No QB pressure outside of a Safety blitz, CBs that just can't cover a team with more than one quality WR. Oh and did I mention a once great D-line being manhandled at the point of attack. When your seeing 96 and 97 in the game , not because they are ready but because they need to be, makes you wonder about all the too old denial.

NCSteeler
09-26-2011, 12:29 AM
Defense is horrible?

Yes Troy lucked out and won the game . The D has bailed the
unjointed offense out since 2008 and it has never gotten better, but now the defense has fallen off and they both look bad.

Mach1
09-26-2011, 12:37 AM
This is what I'm trying to focus on. But the O-line is just...it's swiss cheese, that's what it is. I hope they give Flozell Adams a call. It certainly wouldn't hurt.

I don't think they can afford him, keep under the cap.

Shoes
09-26-2011, 12:43 AM
I don't think they can afford him, keep under the cap.

I would be surprised if he would want to come back...no need for cash or a name......or to be humiliated.

Austin87
09-26-2011, 05:33 AM
The Steelers didn't play well today, but at least we managed a win.

steel striker
09-26-2011, 03:02 PM
Without a doubt the defense won this game and, only gave up one td in the process. The offense has to stop with all of these turnovers. I like Ben but, he tries to do too much. To his defense he almost has to because, the o-line is so bad.

OnlyOne21
09-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Seems to me that Timmons signed that big deal and went on vacation. Seems Farrior is out more than he is in. Those two were filling gaps and stopping the run well last year. Seems to be lacking so far in the early going. On the offensive side they are going to build in a couple new screen packages and run a reverse here and there especially against teams with defensive ends who rush hard on the edge. Even a quick pitch to the outside every now and then.

Count Steeler
09-26-2011, 04:05 PM
I can't see how our coaches are looking at the tapes and find that this kind of play is acceptable. Either they are not teaching the players and giving them schemes to win, or our talent level has nosedived, especially on the O Line. Something had better change fast. I can see us easily getting bombed again in Houston.

steelerdude15
09-26-2011, 04:19 PM
The Steelers certainly aren't playing the way they should, no doubt about it. Even though we do have a 2-1 record, I'm worried how this season is going to play out. The best way to describe this team is out of rhythm and haven't been for most of the season. The Steelers looked great in the first quarter, but were horrible for the rest of it. Tomlin wake these guys up or do something. They need to find that rhythm.

steelreserve
09-26-2011, 04:39 PM
The worst 2-1 team in the league, and I'm really serious about that.

We're definitely better than the 49ers, if you want to go there. Compared to a Steelers game, whatever they play barely qualifies as football.

I really don't think we're in as bad of shape as everyone is afraid of. We're 2-1 despite coughing up the ball at a RIDICULOUS rate, and getting no turnovers ourselves until Troy's TD. There is no way that continues for a whole season, so we ought to expect brighter times based just on that. I also do take heart in the fact that most of the time, if you lose the turnover battle 3-1, you're going to lose even to a bad team, but we managed to win last night's game anyway. So at least we're doing some things right.

Overall, I'm more worried about our problems with the running game than anything else. I think we've seen for years now that because of Ben, the passing game's going to be at least OK no matter how bad the offensive line is. But if we get completely stuck on the ground, that's going to be a problem.

polamalubeast
09-26-2011, 04:43 PM
The biggest problem is the turnovers.

The Steelers are -9 right now.(worst in the NFL)

Also, yesterday the Steelers have had the worst game for the run game since week one against the Titans in 2009.

O'Malley
09-26-2011, 04:46 PM
I still think the lock out has put half the team behind the eight ball. They're still getting in to game shape and I think they'll improve as the season progresses.. With that said they better do something about the O-Line...

suitanim
09-27-2011, 05:17 AM
Still, I'd rather be playing poorly and be 2-1 than be playing poorly and be 1-2 or 0-3.

zulater
09-28-2011, 07:05 AM
Pittsburgh (2-1, tied for first, AFC North) -- This has to be the least comforting 2-1 start to a Steelers season in a very long time. Head coach Mike Tomlin refuses to let go of the Week 1 debacle at Baltimore, and then Pittsburgh on Sunday night very nearly lost to a Manning-less Colts team that looks so bad at quarterback you couldn't blame them if they installed the single wing at practice this week.
The Steelers don't really do panic, but it's time for whatever stage comes just before some serious hand-wringing. Their offensive line was nearly wiped out against the Colts, with three of five starters going down with injuries: left tackle Jonathan Scott (ankle), tackle Marcus Gilbert (shoulder) and right guard Doug Legursky (shoulder). Scott's injury was the most serious, but the line's play has already been shaky, and the health issues aren't going to help in the least.
Pittsburgh's running game has been anything but a late-game hammer to bring down on an opponent's hopes. The Steelers rank 23rd in rushing, with just 85.7 yards per game and a paltry 3.3-yard average gain. Some of that is the line's fault for no ability to create openings, and some of it is the underachievement of lead running back Rashard Mendenhall, who is averaging just 3.0 yards per rush, with just 103 yards on 37 attempts (2.8) in Pittsburgh's most recent two games.
This year, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger hasn't been able to make up for all that ails the Steelers offense with his typical late-game magic. He has thrown four picks and lost four fumbles, and the Steelers have 10 turnovers in their games. The result is Pittsburgh's margin of error is tighter than any time in recent memory, especially since the Steelers defense has been lacking in terms of big plays, with just one fumble forced and recovered, and no interceptions.
This week's trip to Houston poses a tough assignment for a Pittsburgh team that has not looked crisp on the road thus far. The Texans can score against anyone, and Houston desperately needs a bounce-back game on defense after giving up 40 points in a loss at New Orleans. The Steelers aren't the Steelers yet, and that's how you know it's a very different kind of year in the NFL.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/09/27/flawed/index.html#ixzz1ZFRcIp5h

suitanim
09-28-2011, 08:01 AM
Sports Illustrated failed to blame Arians.

86WARD
09-28-2011, 09:21 AM
It isone of the worst feeling 2-1. Like Tomlin said, they have a lot to work on, but it's nice to be winning while working on it.

SteelMember
09-28-2011, 09:57 AM
We have to limit the turnovers on our side. We're not playing even close enough to "good" to maintain wins with the giveaways.

Maybe Ben needs his glove... with some stick 'em. And some more pads... with a flack jacket... and leg braces... :noidea: :chuckle:

We need to protect Frankenberger AND the ball!

zulater
09-29-2011, 08:23 AM
We have to limit the turnovers on our side. We're not playing even close enough to "good" to maintain wins with the giveaways.

Maybe Ben needs his glove... with some stick 'em. And some more pads... with a flack jacket... and leg braces... :noidea: :chuckle:

We need to protect Frankenberger AND the ball!

Ben's 3 turnovers briefly summed up.

1st one. Ben may have held the ball too long, but when it works we call it "extending the play". Several times later in the game Ben "extended the play" which consequently "extended the drive" and I have yet to hear anyone complaining. By the way, also on this fumble, Ben was actually watching Mathis ( or was it Freeny?) so he actually wasn't being careless with the ball, the fumble was caused by an excellent strip by the defender. When our guys do it ( Harrison, Troy etc...) we generally applaud them rather than to disparage the quarterback.

2nd fumble. Ben gets blindsided and has no chance. Brady fumbles that, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, pick a name, I don't care, the qb is totally absolved on an immediate blindside hit.

3rd turnover. Ben sailed one, it was on him. Maybe he was a little flustered at the time after two successive turnovers and rushed his delivery? Who knows? But considering the Steelers mounted no running game, that Ben was in fact responsible for all offensive production, that the blocking was often hideous, and that the offense moved the ball effectively every drive but one all game. One interception is acceptable.

We get beat double digits with ordinary quarterbacking against the Colts.

SteelMember
09-29-2011, 08:51 AM
We get beat double digits with ordinary quarterbacking against the Colts.

I think you're missing the obvious sarcasm here.

I am aware of the "extending the play" benefit. That's his style and I understand, and accept it. I was more talking about the overall turnovers and ratio. How many times have you heard someone say "you're going to have a tough time winning, if you're losing the turnover battle." It's not impossible, but more than likely playing from behind all the time. So, not just the single game you gave your thoughts on, but the entire season as it now stands.

And really, you have to give a little blame to Ben on the fumbles. When he's scrambling, he's holding the ball way to low at his waist, and away from his body. That just makes it easier for a defender to knock it out. All the same things you teach any player that's going to be holding the ball. So there. :flap: :chuckle:

Lambert_Loonie
09-29-2011, 12:08 PM
Honestly, I think I'd arther the Steelers be 1-2. They didn't deserve to win against Indianapolis. Had Kerry Collins stayed in I think the Colts would have won.

Maybe I'm being a pessimist but there's going to be a season when the Steelers will just get shellacked. ALL YEAR. We're talking 4-12 bad. Maybe we won't be that bad this year but it's coming IMO. This year we're lucky to be 7-9.

But what I would give to be wrong...

suitanim
09-29-2011, 12:19 PM
4-12?

Really?

Wow.

Anyway, it could be worse. Since this isn't college, and a team that gets beat like a dog one week can whack another the next, I'd say that it could be worse. We could be playing really well and be 1-2 or 0-3. We were simply favored with a kind schedule.

Lambert_Loonie
09-29-2011, 12:25 PM
4-12?

Really?

Wow.

Anyway, it could be worse. Since this isn't college, and a team that gets beat like a dog one week can whack another the next, I'd say that it could be worse. We could be playing really well and be 1-2 or 0-3. We were simply favored with a kind schedule.

I didn't say it would be this year, but if things stay the way they are...

Noll and Cowher had some pretty underwhelming seasons too. It's not impossible.

fansince'76
09-29-2011, 12:39 PM
Honestly, I think I'd arther the Steelers be 1-2.

You'd rather be 1-2? Sorry, that doesn't compute.

suitanim
09-29-2011, 12:43 PM
The last time we finished with less than 5 wins was in 1969, 42 years ago.

fansince'76
09-29-2011, 12:47 PM
The last time we finished with less than 5 wins was in 1969, 42 years ago.

Yep, and I was still in diapers then. The worst record I can ever remember this team posting up was 5-11 in 1988, and this team is FAR superior to that one in pretty much every conceivable way.

suitanim
09-29-2011, 12:53 PM
Maybe he was just speaking figuratively:
The Browns COULD win the Super Bowl.
Bigfoot COULD exist.
Obama COULD be a good President.
The Steelers COULD go 4-12 some year.

fansince'76
09-29-2011, 12:57 PM
Maybe he was just speaking figuratively:
The Browns COULD win the Super Bowl.
Bigfoot COULD exist.
Obama COULD be a good President.
The Steelers COULD go 4-12 some year.

I think people either have never seen or really don't remember what a truly BAD Steelers team (see 1985-88) looks like, IMO. It's Mark Malone and Bubby Brister taking snaps. It's Weegie Thompson and Charles Lockett as wideouts. It's Walter Abercrombie and Rich Erenberg as RBs, etc., etc.

The Duke
09-29-2011, 01:02 PM
Honestly, I think I'd arther the Steelers be 1-2. They didn't deserve to win against Indianapolis. Had Kerry Collins stayed in I think the Colts would have won.

Maybe I'm being a pessimist but there's going to be a season when the Steelers will just get shellacked. ALL YEAR. We're talking 4-12 bad. Maybe we won't be that bad this year but it's coming IMO. This year we're lucky to be 7-9.

Painter led their only touchdown drive

just sayin.....

86WARD
09-29-2011, 01:23 PM

Not true. I've been saying it and will continue to say it. That team is better with Curtis Painter at QB than Kerry Collins or whoever you want to insert in there right now that's not named Peyton Manning. You not only saw it in the results Sunday night, but you could see it all over the field for the Colts. Sure he came out rusty, but the offense was much more efficient with Painter out there than Collins.

SteelMember
09-29-2011, 01:25 PM
You'd rather be 1-2? Sorry, that doesn't compute.

There are 10
kinds of people
in the world:
those who
understand
binary code, and
those who don't.

suitanim
09-29-2011, 01:26 PM
Painter has been in the system for years, Collin for, literally, only weeks...

steelpride12
09-29-2011, 10:44 PM
Here's how I see it. I'm hoping, in a perfect world, that Tomlin and the team are practicing like they are 0-3 and struggling. I want him chewing them out, pointing out all the mistakes, and most importantly fixing them. I know this team can play 100x better than they are now, but at the same time I don't.

It's obviously hard to win/run when you don't have a legitimate OL or any OL at all at some points. Each year the OL sucks, we've been used to it for years, but this season it has to be at it's worst and the run game is suffering and Ben is getting beat and less time than he usually does.

Something has to be done and fast or this could be a long week/season.

zulater
10-02-2011, 07:51 PM
Can I change the name of my thread to "worst feeling 2-2 ever?" :chuckle:

Particularly if Ben is going to miss some games. Outside of Wallace and Antonio Brown, there's not much to like about this team currently.

During the 5 game losing streak of 09 I was frustrated, because that was a team who's talent shouldn't have allowed it to lose to the teams it did. But now I'm almost of the mindset of, ehh, kind of expected it, if anything I'm surprised that they kept it as close as they did against the Texans. Seriously the score didn't tell the story today. The Steelers were outmuscled and outclassed by a slightly above average Texan team that didn't even give it's best effort today.

Carolina Steelers
10-02-2011, 08:09 PM
I agree with Ben, Wallace, and Brown on offense. D IMO I think Ike is playing well not many getting thrown his way, plus i like timmons and Troy is still all over the place I think he led in tackles today with 9. not sure where the rest of the team is. Next 3 games are winnable or we could lose them also playing like this. Titans, Jags, and Cardinals

86WARD
10-02-2011, 09:43 PM
Won 2 games they should win (actually "should've" lost in Indianapolis) and lost two they should lose.

Psycho Ward 86
10-02-2011, 09:52 PM
There are 10
kinds of people
in the world:
those who
understand
binary code, and
those who don't.

i never get tired of that joke

st33lersguy
10-02-2011, 11:03 PM
With both lines perforoming terribly, with Ben injured, and the Steelers at 2-2 I can't see the Steelers making it far

JayC
10-03-2011, 12:29 AM
i expected to lose to the texans so no surprise here. i think we should win our next 2 games. jags with a rookie QB and titans at home should be wins. i dont care what the titans record is. we should always beat them at home. i expect 10-6 or 11-5 still. i'd say 8-8 or 7-9 if we had a normal schedule. also, once you get into the playoffs anything can happen so it doesn't really matter, just get in somewhere even if we play crappy all season. just look @ the seahawks last year, they won a playoff game and they sucked even more than we do (not by much though)