PDA

View Full Version : Studs and Duds from Weeks 1 and 2

shutdown
09-23-2011, 02:41 AM
A little segment I write for an offline football group of mine. Since I am getting involved in more of this online stuff I figured I'd share it with one of the few Steeler forums I enjoy coming too. (you guys are growing on me. :love2:)

Here are the last two weeks worth i've wrote:

Week 1:
While i'd agree with a comment that there are no studs in an embarrassing loss like that I'll still honor the segment and point out our Studs and Duds for Week 1.

STUDS:
1. Lawrence Timmons - Timmons had an impressive 10 stops and 13 total tackles in the game. That's all i'll say about that.

2. Brett Keisel - A DE normally doesn't put the most pressure on a QB in LeBeau's defense. But Keisel did today...

3. Mike Wallace - 8 receptions for 107 yards is ok, but a lot of that was playing catchup. Overall he was the only offensive player worth mentioning or had numbers worth talking about.

DUDS:
1. Jonathan Scott - Without a doubt the king dud this week. Just atrocious in pass protection and equally as bad playing the run. Allowed 2 sacks, 1 QB hit and 3 QB pressures.

2. Aaron Smith - This hurts to say but Smith looked bad out there this week. He was constantly picked on and very easily moved around out there. Certainly not the Aaron Smith I am used to seeing. He was the worst on the field against the run and just as abysmal against the pass.

3. Troy Polamalu - Would you believe it if I said Polamalu almost gave up a perfect passer rating against the pass? To Joe "Eyebrows" Flacco? Well it's true, and it illustrates what kind of game this was. I am done talking about it....

Week 2:
This was a makeup game. But it only somewhat removed the stench that is lingering from Week 1. This was a "must win impressively" game, and the Steelers accomplished that.

STUDS:
1. Ben Roethlisberger - Big Ben was spot on this week despite having several attempts of getting Carson Palmer'd. Under pressure or Blitzed on Rothelisberger remained poised and had a QB rating of 114.3. Though he had a shaky pass or two, he still completed 73.3% of his passes and did not turn the ball over.

2. Troy Polamalu - Easily the best defender on the field today. What a bounce back from Week 1. Led the team in STOP's, tackles and even registered a QB sack! Polamalu was allowed to get up in the box this week and was his normal beast against the run and improved dramatically against the pass.

3. James Harrison - Though I don't think many noticed, Harrison dominated his opponent throughout the entire game this week. He officially registered 6 QB disruptions which came in the form of 1 sack, 3 QB hits and 2 QB pressures. Maybe his back is getting better or maybe it is just Seattle?

Honorable Mention - Only because he's injured, that's two strong weeks for Keisel. Ziggy has some big shoes to fill.

DUDS:
1. Johnathan Scott - King dud two weeks in a row. Johnathan Scott was again the worst in pass protection giving up 1 sack and 3 additional QB pressures. He also had 1 of 2 offensive penalties against him.

2. Keenan Lewis - In a strong defensive performance, Lewis showed he's still not ready to be a starter which is disappointing. Being targeted 6 times, Lewis gave up 5 receptions for almost 50% of Jacksons total passing yards. In only 28 snaps on the field, Lewis already leads the corner backs in missed tackles.

3. Doug Legursky - Some felt the Steelers should have been a bit more effective in the run game this week. Legursky takes a good piece of the blame for that. He was not only the worst run blocker on the field this week, on one specific play which should have been a sure touchdown for Mendenhall, Legursky made it to the endzone untouched. Only his responsibility was to block someone!

Maybe if you guys enjoy em, i'll keep posting them from week to week...

Austin87
09-23-2011, 04:01 AM
Cool stuff. Keep it coming.

Count Steeler
09-23-2011, 05:02 AM
Kind of like the 3 stars from hockey with the added 3 duds. Good idea.

stillers4me
09-23-2011, 05:47 AM
I like it! :applaudit:

zulater
09-23-2011, 05:59 AM
I don't agree with Timmons being a stud week one. Most of his tackles were downfield and meaningless in that game. Also how was Ben not a dud in week one? Don't get me wrong, I love Ben, but he was brutal that game.

And where's Wallace on your week 2 stud list?

But it's an interesting topic, and you make some good points. :applaudit:

Steeltreal
09-23-2011, 06:20 AM
Secondary will continually have duds because no change at CB. We have two capable Safetys in Will Allen and Mundy. Id like to see either one get time to play deep coverage with Clark and let Troy shutdown the intermediate routes with his flowing hair style. I guess it would be a strong Nickel package with Troy covering the slot and the option of 3 LB 3 DL or 4 LB and 2 DL.

I predict Curtis Brown will become the Corner opposite Ike T, too many secondary players have not stepped up in recent years and we are due to hit on 1 draft pick sooner or later, Just a matter of Lebeau and Tomlin living with the growing pains of playing rookies.

shutdown
09-23-2011, 11:34 AM
I don't agree with Timmons being a stud week one. Most of his tackles were downfield and meaningless in that game.

That's actually not true at all. Timmons had 10 STOP's in that game. That is a monster number I haven't seen anyone pull in a single game in a while. If you don't know what a STOP is, it's a play that results in offensive failure. Timmon's had 10 of those and im sure a bunch came from his 13 tackles which would mean they weren't mostly downfield.

Also how was Ben not a dud in week one? Don't get me wrong, I love Ben, but he was brutal that game.

I thought about it afterwords and should have given him at least an honorable mention, but heck I could have listed a dozen duds from that game am I right?

86WARD
09-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Ike gettin' no love?!?

st33lersguy
09-23-2011, 01:47 PM
I actually felt that Kiesel got pushed around in Week 1, but that is just my opinion

shutdown
09-23-2011, 03:30 PM
Ike gettin' no love?!?

His 7 targets 1 reception allowed stat line is really impressive but its still only 7 targets in two weeks.

Count Steeler
09-23-2011, 04:37 PM
His 7 targets 1 reception allowed stat line is really impressive but its still only 7 targets in two weeks.

Is that because Ike is blanketing his receiver or is the combo of Gay/McFadden so incompetent that the QB just needs to look right and he will find an open receiver? Why challenge Ike when you have an open receiver on your strong side?

tube517
09-23-2011, 06:17 PM
William Gay should be a perenial dud.....:chuckle:

Seriously, I like it. :applaudit:

crcsnail
09-24-2011, 03:08 AM
yeh i liked it as well :)

shutdown
09-24-2011, 08:01 PM
William Gay should be a perenial dud.....:chuckle:

Sadly, outside of Ike Gay has been on the strongest DB on the field so far.

McFadden and Lewis have been horrible.