PDA

View Full Version : Jerome Bettis

polamalubeast
09-21-2011, 05:46 PM
I have two questions!

Firstly do you think he will enter the HOF in 2012?

And do you think that if the Steelers would have lost against the Colts, it would have tarnished his career a little like HOF Jackie Smith?

I ask this because Mark Madden had already said he would have been another Bill Buchker if Roethlisberger would not have made ​​the tackle.

HollywoodSteel
09-21-2011, 06:15 PM
I have two questions!

Firstly do you think he will enter the HOF in 2012?

And do you think that if the Steelers would have lost against the Colts, it would have tarnished his career a little like HOF Jackie Smith?

I ask this because Mark Madden had already said he would have been another Bill Buchker if Roethlisberger would not have made ​​the tackle.

You mean he would have gotten to play himself on Curb Your Enthusiasm? I love that show.

Count Steeler
09-21-2011, 06:34 PM
Bettis is HOF worthy, but for 2012, it will depend who else is eligible. Having a SB ring in his resume will sure beat fumbling to potentially lose the AFCCG. Does Canton have a Steelers wing? Still a couple of more Steelers that should be in the HOF.

7willBheaven
09-21-2011, 07:33 PM
Mark Madden is a giant piece of crap. That is all.

HometownGal
09-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Mark Madden is a giant piece of crap. That is all.

Madden the Hut. I'm surprised he hasn't eaten himself to death by now. :jerkit:

I think The Bus is definitely HOF worthy but may not get in until the following class. Hope I'm wrong.

slippy
09-21-2011, 08:40 PM
i was ready to erase his name from history after that fumble!

one of the biggest mental gaffes ever; what was he doing? it made for an exciting finish for other fans, but for me it was torture. that game should have ended 28-18, which means pit would have won all of their post season games that year by DOUBLE DIGITS!

i love, love, love bettis but that was one dumb play. if that were manning or brady trying to make the tackle, bettis would be shamed for life.

fansince'76
09-21-2011, 10:09 PM
one of the biggest mental gaffes ever; what was he doing?

Fluke play. The defender's helmet hit the ball squarely - there's really not much you can do to avoid fumbling when that happens.

And to answer the OP, yes I think he gets in, but he'll still be made to wait a couple more years.

86WARD
09-22-2011, 08:02 AM
He'll get in ... Sooner than later. Fumble wouldn't have hurt but the super bowl ring will help.

tube517
09-22-2011, 09:01 AM
Comparisons to Buckner and Smith are understandable but off. Buckner and Smith were both on the grand stage, The World Series and the Super Bowl.
Although, Steelers/Colts was a playoff game, it wasn't as big a stage as those 2. Also, the Steelers were underdogs. I think the loss would've hurt Cowher more than Bettis, if they lose. Manning would've gotten all the hoopla for coming back.

AND I agree that Mark Madden is a loudmouth jackhole.

suitanim
09-22-2011, 11:18 AM
Bettis should have been unanimous first round HOF ballot, and I'll tell you why.

He's the ONLY giant back to excel at the game. There are a lot of really big RB's (and he played listed at 240 or 250, but the guy was 270 if he weighed a pound, and I bet he was closer at 300 at the end of his career), but they just don't last. Injuries do them all in. The reason he could last is that he was huge, and could pound, but he also had great feet, and could actually run and make some cuts.

He is, what? 5th all-time? 6th? That alone should be enough to get him in eventually. The Super Bowl ring helps (there are plenty of RB's in the Hall that lack a championship), but his unique status as the most versatile giant RB to ever play the game is what gets him in in my book.

steeldevil
09-22-2011, 11:35 AM
Bettis should have been unanimous first round HOF ballot, and I'll tell you why.

He's the ONLY giant back to excel at the game. There are a lot of really big RB's (and he played listed at 240 or 250, but the guy was 270 if he weighed a pound, and I bet he was closer at 300 at the end of his career), but they just don't last. Injuries do them all in. The reason he could last is that he was huge, and could pound, but he also had great feet, and could actually run and make some cuts.

He is, what? 5th all-time? 6th? That alone should be enough to get him in eventually. The Super Bowl ring helps (there are plenty of RB's in the Hall that lack a championship), but his unique status as the most versatile giant RB to ever play the game is what gets him in in my book.

5th. LT is going to pass him though, I think he is about 200-300 behind right now.

Bettis should get in next year for sure.

It would be cool if Bettis, Dawson, and Jack Butler all got in in the same year.

Vis
09-22-2011, 11:41 AM
Curtis Martin hurts him.

GitNoLuv
09-22-2011, 11:47 AM
Bettis is HoF worthy...but (as stated previously) it depends on the competition in any given class. Personally, I would put Dermonti Dawson in before Bettis. But I'm not a Hall of Farce voter...

suitanim
09-22-2011, 12:07 PM
Martin never won anything, and, while he was a fine back, there is nothing exceptionally noteworthy about him. Bettis was the best big back to ever play the game.

How Dirt didn't get in First ballot is another mystery to me.

oneforthetoe
09-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Martin never won anything, and, while he was a fine back, there is nothing exceptionally noteworthy about him. Bettis was the best big back to ever play the game.

How Dirt didn't get in First ballot is another mystery to me.

Not really a mystery. He is and offensive lineman and a Steeler. That would be two strikes with most voters. I think he will get in eventually though. Bettis will also get in, but I think he will wait.

BigNastyDefense
09-22-2011, 01:48 PM
It would be nice if Bettis and Dawson got in together. They both are very deserving.

Bettis' SB ring will help if he's up against backs who are in the same area in yards and stuff, but no ring.

He'll get in sooner rather than later, hopefully this year. It all depend son who he is up against.

oneforthetoe
09-22-2011, 04:25 PM
It would be nice if Bettis and Dawson got in together. They both are very deserving.

Bettis' SB ring will help if he's up against backs who are in the same area in yards and stuff, but no ring.

He'll get in sooner rather than later, hopefully this year. It all depend son who he is up against.

This is the best list I could find:

Newly eligible - Tiki Barber, Bill Cowher, Bill Parcells, Will Shields, Rod Smith

Still eligible - Dermontti Dawson, Cortez Kennedy, Curtis Martin, Andre Reed, Willie Roaf, Jerome Bettis, Tim Brown, Cris Carter, Chris Doleman and Charles Haley

Read more: http://periodicals.faqs.org/201108/2441508171.html#ixzz1YicNkUzC

I'd say Shields, Dawson, Martin, Haley and Carter will get in this year.

ALLD
09-22-2011, 04:31 PM
Parcells is a lock. Cowher and Haley should get in too, but Cowher may not because he might come back and it would be awkward to have an active HoF coach.

polamalubeast
09-22-2011, 04:39 PM
His will be a tragedy if Chris Carter does not come the HOF in 2012.

He waited a very long time.

oneforthetoe
09-22-2011, 04:46 PM
Parcells is a lock. Cowher and Haley should get in too, but Cowher may not because he might come back and it would be awkward to have an active HoF coach.

I agree Cowher will not get in this year. Parcells will get in before Cowher, but I think even Parcells might hve to wait a year.

tube517
09-22-2011, 04:52 PM

He could wait a while and do the Joe Gibbs method.

st33lersguy
09-22-2011, 07:37 PM
I don't know if I am alone but I think that the fumble has already tarnished his career a little. The fumble itself is still well-known. He will not be referred to as Bill Buckner but his fumble is still very famous

GitNoLuv
09-22-2011, 07:41 PM

How Dirt didn't get in First ballot is another mystery to me.10 straight years of 1K+ Yards isn't exceptionally noteworthy? Barry Sanders, Walter Payton and Emmitt Smith are the only other guys who can claim that. He is, however, hurt by the fact that he spent his entire career playing with better backs (Emmitt Smith at the start of his career and LaDainian Tomlinson when he was winding down...plus the ultra-versatile Marshall Faulk for the duration of his career). (Kinda like Chris Carter playing when Jerry Rice did or ANY basketball player playing when Michael Jordan did.) He also led the league in rushing in 2004 (against a Shaun Alexander in his prime, Corey Dillon playing for NE with something to prove, Rudi Johnson in his prime, Edgerrin James in his prime...etc...)

His steady performance over his 11 year career should make him hall of fame worthy. Even in his final (injury plagued) year, he was on pace for 980 yards. He also had 1 less rushing touchdown than Jerome Bettis (despite the fact that Bettis was built to be a short yardage back...something Martin would never be confused for).

He's one of 20 guys to have ever scored a combined 100 touchdowns in his career.

That being said...many of these arguments could also be used to put Bettis in the Hall. Especially his longevity as a Big Back.

suitanim
09-23-2011, 11:16 AM
He went to Pitt. I knew there would be a heavy defense of him.

My "noteworthy" comment was directed at the fact that he was a great RB, but there are a LOT of great RB's. One of the biggest factors in gaining a lot of yards is remaining healthy. He remained healthy throughout his career, which is automatically noteworthy, and was a huge factor in his success. He was the oldest guy to win a rushing title at 31, and that says a lot right there.

However, that, again, is why I give the nod to Bettis. A great back who stays healthy is going to pile up yards. A great back who weighs 275 pounds AND gets a lot of short yardage/goalline carries is going to get hurt early and often. Bettis did not. He was a different kind of back than Martin. Honestly, I don't see any other giant even approaching his kinds of numbers again.

Moose
09-23-2011, 11:35 AM
1- I don't think Bettis get's in 2012.
2- I think if the Steeler's would have lost because of the fumble Bettis would have definitely been thought of for being the reason for the loss, but not held out of HOF because of it.

GitNoLuv
09-23-2011, 01:53 PM
He went to Pitt. I knew there would be a heavy defense of him.

My "noteworthy" comment was directed at the fact that he was a great RB, but there are a LOT of great RB's. One of the biggest factors in gaining a lot of yards is remaining healthy. He remained healthy throughout his career, which is automatically noteworthy, and was a huge factor in his success. He was the oldest guy to win a rushing title at 31, and that says a lot right there.

However, that, again, is why I give the nod to Bettis. A great back who stays healthy is going to pile up yards. A great back who weighs 275 pounds AND gets a lot of short yardage/goalline carries is going to get hurt early and often. Bettis did not. He was a different kind of back than Martin. Honestly, I don't see any other giant even approaching his kinds of numbers again.

Where Martin went to school at was irrelevant to my argument. Pitt is a Big Least school...not Big 10, so they're even further off my radar. That being said, I agree with your assessment of Bettis. The fact that he stayed healthy/productive enough to last 2 years longer than Martin says a lot about him. His willingness to step aside and let a younger back (FWP) take the majority of the carries (at the tail end of his career) shows he was a class act.

I'd be fore him getting into the HoF...but I don't see him making it in 2012. All this chatter I have seen about a fumble...I honestly don't remember a fumble. I remember him for his great career running the ball (and for the many yards he gained against my Browns.) Maybe for Steelers fans those last moments were more prominent...but for the rest of the NFL, it'll be far more about a reflection of his career.

suitanim
09-23-2011, 02:03 PM
Yeah that's the bottom line. He's not getting in. Steelers bias or whatever, but him and Dirt should be in.